So who do we sign??

New New York

Quiet Storm
Great to be talking about this again!!! And we no doubt had this convo at the start of the summer, but that just seem like light years ago!!!

Well here is my list

Samuel Dalmbert-does not run like we need but blocks shots and rebounds

Joel Pryzbilla-a banger, runs the floor better than Sammy D but literally puts us in a 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

Thats it for Centers

Peja would be a nice backup SF

Jermiane Oneil would be a really nice player as well because he could start at the 5 or backup Stat

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Well, here is the complete list of upcoming free agents:

Point Guards: Aaron Brooks* (Restricted), Rodney Stuckey (Restricted), J.J. Barea (Unrestricted), T.J. Ford (Unrestricted), Mario Chalmers (Restricted), Sebastian Telfair (Unrestricted), Patrick Mills* (Restricted), Pooh Jeter (Unrestricted), Delonte West (Unrestricted), Charlie Bell (Early Termination Option), Ronnie Price (Unrestricted), Earl Watson (Unrestricted), Chris Quinn (Unrestricted), Sundiata Gaines (Unrestricted), Earl Boykins (Unrestricted), Acie Law (Unrestricted), Anthony Carter (Unrestricted), Ben Uzoh (Unrestricted), Marcus Banks (Unrestricted), Royal Ivey (Unrestricted)

Shooting Guards: Jamal Crawford (Unrestricted), Jason Richardson (Unrestricted), Arron Afflalo (Restricted), J.R. Smith* (Unrestricted), Marcus Thornton (Restricted), Nick Young (Restricted), Shannon Brown (Unrestricted), Sonny Weems* (Restricted), Mike Dunleavy (Unrestricted), DeShawn Stevenson (Unrestricted), Michael Redd (Unrestricted), Willie Green (Unrestricted), Daequan Cook (Restricted), Mo Evans (Unrestricted), Chris Douglas-Roberts (Unrestricted), Anthony Parker (Unrestricted), Tracy McGrady (Unrestricted), Sasha Vujacic (Unrestricted), Roger Mason (Unrestricted), Marquis Daniels (Unrestricted), Von Wafer (Unrestricted), Marco Belinelli (Restricted), Gary Forbes (Restricted), Alonzo Gee (Unrestricted), Dominic McGuire (Unrestricted)

Small Forwards: Wilson Chandler* (Unrestricted), Caron Butler (Unrestricted), Thaddeus Young (Restricted), Grant Hill (Unrestricted), Tayshaun Prince (Unrestricted), Shane Battier (Unrestricted), James Jones (Unrestricted), Reggie Williams (Restricted), Josh Howard (Unrestricted), Earl Clark (Unrestricted), Al Thornton (Unrestricted), Jeremy Evans (Unrestricted), Jason Kapono (Unrestricted), Jamario Moon (Unrestricted), Rasual Butler (Unrestricted), Peja Stojakovic (Unrestricted), Shawne Williams (Unrestricted), Ime Udoka (Unrestricted), Rodney Carney (Unrestricted), DaJuan Summers (Unrestricted), Quinton Ross (Unrestricted),

Power Forwards: David West (Unrestricted), Carl Landry (Unrestricted), Andrei Kirilenko (Unrestricted), Jeff Green (Restricted), Troy Murphy (Unrestricted), Kenyon Martin* (Unrestricted), Glen Davis (Unrestricted), Kris Humphries (Unrestricted), Reggie Evans (Unrestricted), Chuck Hayes (Unrestricted), Yi Jianlian (Restricted), Luc Mbah a Moute (Restricted), Josh McRoberts (Unrestricted), Jared Jeffries (Unrestricted), Dante Cunningham (Restricted), Jonas Jerebko (Restricted), Leon Powe (Unrestricted), Craig Smith (Unrestricted), Juwan Howard (Unrestricted), Jason Smith (Restricted), Joey Dorsey (Unrestricted), Joe Smith (Unrestricted), Brandon Wright (Unrestricted), Darius Songaila (Unrestricted), Chris Wilcox (Unrestricted), Josh Powell (Unrestricted), DJ Mbenga (Unrestricted), Brian Cardinal (Unrestricted), Brian Scalabrine (Unrestricted), Melvin Ely (Unrestricted)

Centers: Marc Gasol (Restricted), Nene (Unrestricted), Tyson Chandler (Unrestricted), Greg Oden (Restricted), Samuel Dalembert (Unrestricted), DeAndre Jordan (Restricted), Joel Przybilla (Unrestricted), Spencer Hawes (Restricted), Nenad Krstic (Unrestricted), Shelden Williams (Unrestricted), Brian Skinner (Unrestricted), Kyrylo Fesenko (Unrestricted), Erick Dampier (Unrestricted), Jeff Foster (Unrestricted), Kurt Thomas (Unrestricted), Francisco Elson (Unrestricted), Aaron Gray (Unrestricted), Dan Gadzuric (Unrestricted), Kwame Brown (Unrestricted), Theo Ratliff (Unrestricted), Hilton Armstrong (Unrestricted), Jamaal Magloire (Unrestricted), Etan Thomas (Unrestricted), Jason Collins (Unrestricted), Eddy Curry (Unrestricted), Alexis Ajinca (Unrestricted), Hamed Haddadi (Restricted)

The list of free agents may grow if players are waived as a result of an amnesty clause.

*These players signed overseas without NBA-opt out clauses.

The Knicks need to address their rebounding and interior defense, so naturally, they should go for a center. I would love to see them get Nene! The guy is tough, loves to bang, and seems to be the perfect frontcourt partner for STAT, who loves to start his offense from the high post area. :beer:

Secondly, they should really consider getting a backup PF for STAT. We need to preserve our stars as much as we can if we're going for a deep playoff run. I think a guy like Chuck Hayes would be perfect.

:2cents:

portega1968

El Cacique
As I said in another thread, teams will be able to bring aboard players even if they are over the cap. For the next two years, teams will be able to do sign and trades even if they are over the cap (the following years it will be limited to teams that are 4million over the cap).

To me, this means we can go out and get sign free agents Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson now, and still get Chris Paul through a sign and trade next year.

Chandler
Stat
Melo
Rich
CP3

That should trump the bozos in South Beach

portega1968

El Cacique
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7285446/billy-hunter-tells-players-get-512-percent-bri-2011-12

"For the first two years of the 10-year agreement -- with either side possessing the option to exit the CBA after six seasons -- tax-paying teams still will be eligible to do sign-and-trade deals. That opens the door for impending star free agents such as Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams to be moved to big-market teams such as the Lakers, Knicks and Mavericks that are already over the salary cap."

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
We need a starting big at #5 + a solid backup #3, in my opinion we could sign Gasol/Oden/Dalembert (choose one) at center + Wilson Chandler/Grant Hill/Reggie Williams at small forward. We all know Will the Thrill wants to play for us, we know also that the Knicks are interested in him, but there is still a concern of his contract in China, as I said in other thread, I think they would release him without any problems, but everything is possible.

I'd also love Nene but since he's the most coveted unrestricted centre out there that's probably not realistic. Instead I guess Dalambert or Kurt Thomas will have to do.

As for other positions I'd settle for Ford or Telfair as a back-up PG and maybe, if he's affordable, Kris Humphries to back up Amar'e. If not then Chuck Hayes or anyone not named Jared Jeffries would be OK.

moneyg

Starter
we need a center and backup pf in the worst way.

dalembert at the 5 would work but we can only offer mid level. kwame brown and nazr are options.

i like chuck hayes or reggie evan as a backup to stat. we need some brut.

if RIP get released. luv to see him in back court with billups

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I could see Golden State releasing Andres Biedrens. He could be a nice fit at Center for cheap. TJ Ford as backup PG for cheap as well and possibly RIP, if he's released, which is likely.

Just to reiterate. We only have the MLE and vet minimum exceptions at our disposal. The cap this year looks like it will be roughly the same, $58 mil. We are already at $61 mil. This is not including resigning Shawne Williams and signing our rookies (Iman + Jorts), or bringing Jerome Jordan on board. Retaining these players will bring our team salary to around $63-64 mil. Only $6 mil below the tax line.

Also, any contracts for more than 1 year will seriously jeapordize our ability to bring in the 3rd superstar. If we release Balkman, do not resign Douglas and trade Iman, the Knicks team salary will be approx $44 mil with only two players on the roster (Melo + Amare). The cap last year and this year is $58 mil. That does not leave much room.