Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Paul's First Choice Is To Sign With Knicks

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    With respect to the acquisition of Paul, I see some real problems. Under the new CBA, as I understand it, there will be no rollbacks of current contracts. In two more years Amare and Melo alone will be making over $46M together. Dolan has always been willing to spend, but if the Knicks add Paul even at reduced compensation, the Knicks will be in punitive luxury tax territory.
    I have already asked that question, but haven't got any answer yet: what happens if the acquisition of Paul gets us over the luxury tax threshold? Dolan will be forced to pay more $$$ to the league concerning getting onto higher tax rate and the Knicks' mid-level exception rights will be reduced to the so-called mini mid-level-exception. But what else? Because there has to be something that makes us concern we won't be able to sign another max.

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    I have already asked that question, but haven't got any answer yet: what happens if the acquisition of Paul gets us over the luxury tax threshold? Dolan will be forced to pay more $$$ to the league concerning getting onto higher tax rate and the Knicks' mid-level exception rights will be reduced to the so-called mini mid-level-exception. But what else? Because there has to be something that makes us concern we won't be able to sign another max.
    The tax rate keeps increasing if you are a tax repeater. I read an article last night that said the Lakers paid 19 mill last season under the regular tax, but under the new one it would increase so heavily that if your over 4 out of 5 years they would have to pay up to 65 mill. So that will keep a lot of teams from trying to stay over the tax.

I have a question, does the "stretch" provision still keep that current players salary counted on your cap? If not, maybe they could use it on Melo or Amar'e

We could say all about Dolan but not that paying $65M tax would really bother him... If he wants a chip he'll pay even more. He once paid $62M for Zeke's mess, so why wouldn't he pay for his own big 3?

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    We could say all about Dolan but not that paying $65M tax would really bother him... If he wants a chip he'll pay even more. He once paid $62M for Zeke's mess, so why wouldn't he pay for his own big 3?
    IDK man like that article said it too much in the air to assume he is coming here. The knicks may be keeping space just because why waste it before the 2012 bonanza of free agent players.