Chris Paul's First Choice Is To Sign With Knicks

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

If this somehow materializes, I would EXPECT Melo and STAT to reconstruct their contracts to allow for higher salary role-players. Paul would be earning much less on his contract than they would, and if anything, I think he's the best player out of the 3 of them.

If it's really about winning as you say, then that is something that would literally HAVE to happen.

I don't want to be a defensively challenged, Miami lite squad, because Pat Riley and co. have the luxury of tax exemption, unlike the Knicks, and STAT and Melo, being the multi-millionaires that they are, are not willing to sacrifice for, as you say, the sake of winning.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Could Cablevision offer Paul a $40Mil endorsement to promote their non-Knick related services to make up for him taking a lower salary? I doubt it, and there probably is rules against that type of manipulation but I have never actually read that it was illegal. Does anyone know for sure?

I did read about that when the Lebron sweepstakes were at their maddest.

I can't remember the term used for doing so, but there were some pretty grave penalties.

It was part of a list of ALL cap and CBA related conditions. It's out there, but it's a looooooooong ****er of a read.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I saw there might be a possibility of a trade of Chris Paul and Thunder's Rusell Westbrook. Chris Paul says NY is a top choice, but the Thunders can be serious championship contenders as well as NY. Now this is another wait, hope and see all star destination. Lose one (Lebron), signed one (STAT), and won one (Melo). We need one more win and CP3 seems to be at some type of reach for NY. Was hoping for Dwight but not sure how possible that is.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Going Forward

Crazy⑧s;187022 said:
I have a question for anyone capable of answering:

If CP3 is traded under his current contract and extends, will he still receive higher (higher than pending CBA) annual increments to his salary BECAUSE he is extending his current CBA contract?

I do not have an "answer." But I have some thoughts. First, I suppose it will depend on the new CBA. Second, I would guess that compensation during any extended contract period would have to follow the new CBA rules.

With respect to the acquisition of Paul, I see some real problems. Under the new CBA, as I understand it, there will be no rollbacks of current contracts. In two more years Amare and Melo alone will be making over $46M together. Dolan has always been willing to spend, but if the Knicks add Paul even at reduced compensation, the Knicks will be in punitive luxury tax territory.

As LJ4ptplay has pointed out, I believe in another thread, under the old CBA neither Melo nor Amare' could restructure their contracts to spin money off to Paul. I have seen no indication that the new CBA will be any different and I do not think the owners, particularly the small market owners, would want a repeat of the Miami situation in New York or other preferable player destinations.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Thanks, Oldtimer.

The only reason I said 'restructure', was because I know that Richard Jefferson restructured his contract last year.

I know Shawn Kemp restructured his, too, when he was doing more blow than Rick James.

Cold blooooooded.

Wargames

Starter
I saw this on another forum and figured you guys would want to read it

We've been hearing since the infamous wedding toast of last summer that Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Chris Paul want to play together for the Knicks. We're two-thirds of the way there. Melo and Amare are already Knicks, and CP can become a free agent after the season and sign with New York. Looks like a slam dunk, right?

Not so fast.

It appears the only realistic way that Paul can end up in Gotham would be if he is willing to take a massive pay cut. He would likely make about 60 percent as much in New York as he could make in New Orleans and, even in the best-case scenario, forego tens of millions of dollars compared to playing in other markets.

Let's quickly follow the salary-cap logic involved in Paul moving to the Knicks as a free agent:

? The current salary cap is at $58 million with the players taking a 51.1 percent share of BRI.

? Next year, the players' share goes down to 50 percent, likely offsetting any increase in BRI itself. In other words, one can reasonably expect next season's salary cap to be right around $58 million.

? The Knicks have $39.5 million committed just to Stoudemire and Anthony. (And before you ask, they cannot renegotiate their contracts downward.)

? Even if the Knicks got rid of everybody else and just had those two on the roster, the 10 "cap holds" for minimum salary players would occupy another $5 million in salary cap space.

? That means the Knicks have an absolute minimum of $44.5 million committed.

? Which, in turn, leaves the Knicks with an absolutely best-case scenario of a $13.5 million starting salary for Paul.

Paul will make $16.4 million this year and would be opting out of $17.7 million in 2011-12. Should he opt out next summer, a new five-year contract with the Hornets would start at $17.177 million and pay him as much as $22.3 million by the end -- a total of $98.8 million. In comparison, over the life of the maximum allowable four-year deal with the Knicks, he could get only $57.6 million.

So if Paul really wants to go to New York, he can go -- as long as he's willing to give up, at a minimum, forty million dollars to do it. (The same, incidentally, applies for Deron Williams or Dwight Howard.)

In fact, even this scenario seems optimistic as far as Paul's New York earning potential; it would basically involve New York giving away Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas, and Landry Fields, not to mention whatever players the Knicks sign this offseason or draft next June. The Knicks would have only the "mini" mid-level and a bunch of minimum contracts to use to surround Paul, Anthony and Amare -- they'd have vastly less, in other words, than even the Heat had to work with last summer.

Should the Knicks keep Shumpert and Douglas around, New York would have just $11 million for Paul's starting salary, and the total value of the contract would be half what he could get by staying a Hornet; even compared with leaving the Hornets and signing with another team for the full maximum, he'd be leaving about $30 million on the table.

Around this point, Knicks fans will point out that a free-agent signing isn't the only way Paul can end up in New York. He could also try to force a trade, and that wouldn't be as financially damaging. Paul's potential earnings improve somewhat if he wants to do a sign-and-trade or an extend-and-trade, although they still lag behind what he can make by staying.

Alas, there's one little problem with that: The Knicks would need something worth trading. Sorry, New Yorkers, the Hornets aren't giving away their superstar for Chauncey Billups' expiring contract and Douglas. They can't even trade a draft pick, as their 2012, 2014 and 2016 first-round picks are all owed to other teams and the league forbids teams from trading picks in consecutive years. In other words, if New Orleans decides to pre-emptively trade CP to avoid losing him as a free agent, there's a zero percent chance of his landing on the Knicks to join Amare and Melo.

Moreover, if the Hornets are convinced CP is leaving, it's hard to imagine them passively waiting around for Paul to ditch them in the summer. Especially after that whole LeBron thing two summers ago.

This is why I argued the Knicks overpaid in the Anthony trade with Denver rather than being patient and signing him outright over the summer -- they have no assets left to make a deal for Paul, and yet from a financial standpoint, trading for Paul is the most realistic route to bringing him on board.

Or rather, they do have one asset if it's important enough to them: They could trade Anthony for Paul.

No matter how you slice it, it seems somewhere between highly unlikely and virtually impossible for Paul to end up with Amare and Melo on the Knicks. He can't force a trade there, he'd take a financial bath signing there as a free agent, and the Hornets aren't going to sit idly by and lose him for nothing. The CP-to-New York talk to match Miami's Big 3 makes for fun conversation for this winter, but the Knicks lost hope of this happening the day they made the Anthony trade.

Link

If this is true then the knicks have some tough choices to make because honestly who has ever taken less money to play in NY? Amare and Melo both took the maxes they could get....

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Paul's gotta know he'd be taking less money to come here.

I think he's thought it through and apparently based what were hearing from him recently, NY is still where its at for him.

I think he could easily make up the money in endorsements, and I also think he'd turn into one of the most beloved athletes NY history. You think Amare's likeable??

This guy coming here is going to be huge.

Having CP3 in NY will be like having a less flamboyant 21st century version of Walt Frazier here. Trust.

It makes sense, on multiple levels for him to be Knick.

For NO the picture is bleak. They can't trade to a team he doesn't want to go to because that team would only be taking him as a rental. They also can't wait and let him leave as a free agent and get nothing in return. NO is doubly f-ed, which is why I don't agree with the author cited above. They basically have no choice but to trade him to us barring any drastic changes in the CBA. As it stands, this situation is almost totally the same as Melo's. And again anyone on our team not named Melo and Amare will be in play.

Paul's going to be a Knick people. Mark it down.

WrongIslander

Rotation player

I think he's thought it through and apparently based what were hearing from him recently, NY is still where its at for him.

I think he could easily make up the money in endorsements, and I also think he'd turn into one of the most beloved athletes NY history. You think Amare's likeable??

This guy coming here is going to be huge.

Having CP3 in NY will be like having a less flamboyant 21st century version of Walt Frazier here. Trust.

It makes sense, on multiple levels for him to be Knick.

For NO the picture is bleak. They can't trade to a team he doesn't want to go to because that team would only be taking him as a rental. They also can't wait and let him leave as a free agent and get nothing in return. NO is doubly f-ed, which is why I don't agree with the author cited above. They basically have no choice but to trade him to us barring any drastic changes in the CBA. As it stands, this situation is almost totally the same as Melo's. And again anyone on our team not named Melo and Amare will be in play.

Paul's going to be a Knick people. Mark it down.

Precisely. If he truly still wants to be a Knick he knows he will have to take less money but this kid isn't about money, he's about winning and if he thinks he can win in NY he'll take what we can afford to give him and make the rest off the court.

CP3 is unlike many other professional athletes in that the game always comes first with him. Sure it's his job but if you hear him speak he's still that same kid that missed a freethrow after making 61 points. He's special and because of that intangible I'd rather have him here than any other player in this league.

nyk_nyk

All Star

This is what i've been thinking too. I'm sure they all know what the situation is money-wise and CP3 knows what he can realistically get for playing here. These guys aren't idiots. They know the salary cap rules and what it would take.

CP3 and Melo been chillin together all summer so there's obviously a plan in place. I just hope it doesn't severely handicap the team.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Paul will get every endorsement possible to make up for his missed compensation, he can also get some bonuses in his contract as far as games played, and numbers wise(leading in assist team wins, all that doesnt count towards the cap, there are many alternatives, LeBron gets 85% of him money upfront and has a bonus heavy salary throughout the year, so did Shaq so this cap shit everyone is talking is bullshit, Kobe made 35mil from the Lakers last year, think I'm lying look it up, Paul will generate some much buzz and revenue he'll be fine not to mention his Jordan endorsement nearly rises 25% since playing in NY or LA. As long as the Knicks keep Fields, Shumpert and Jordan they'll only need 2 or 3 more guys to fill out a D'Antoni rotations

Anthony
Stoudemire
Paul
Fields
Shumpert
Jordan

add in
Ian Mahinmi-2012 Free Agent
Curtis Jerrells- Cheap, great PG
Donte Greene- can play the 3/4 spot Ill Will played
Mickael Pietrus- defender, shooter, runs the floor

We'd have the MLE to grab Greene and Pietrus, minimum to get Jerrells and the Bi-annual exception for Mahinmi

That team will compete with anybody in the league

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
With respect to the acquisition of Paul, I see some real problems. Under the new CBA, as I understand it, there will be no rollbacks of current contracts. In two more years Amare and Melo alone will be making over $46M together. Dolan has always been willing to spend, but if the Knicks add Paul even at reduced compensation, the Knicks will be in punitive luxury tax territory.
I have already asked that question, but haven't got any answer yet: what happens if the acquisition of Paul gets us over the luxury tax threshold? Dolan will be forced to pay more $$$ to the league concerning getting onto higher tax rate and the Knicks' mid-level exception rights will be reduced to the so-called mini mid-level-exception. But what else? Because there has to be something that makes us concern we won't be able to sign another max.

la2ny

Starter
I have already asked that question, but haven't got any answer yet: what happens if the acquisition of Paul gets us over the luxury tax threshold? Dolan will be forced to pay more $$$ to the league concerning getting onto higher tax rate and the Knicks' mid-level exception rights will be reduced to the so-called mini mid-level-exception. But what else? Because there has to be something that makes us concern we won't be able to sign another max.

The tax rate keeps increasing if you are a tax repeater. I read an article last night that said the Lakers paid 19 mill last season under the regular tax, but under the new one it would increase so heavily that if your over 4 out of 5 years they would have to pay up to 65 mill. So that will keep a lot of teams from trying to stay over the tax.

I have a question, does the "stretch" provision still keep that current players salary counted on your cap? If not, maybe they could use it on Melo or Amar'e :shrug:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
We could say all about Dolan but not that paying $65M tax would really bother him... If he wants a chip he'll pay even more. He once paid $62M for Zeke's mess, so why wouldn't he pay for his own big 3?

Wargames

Starter
We could say all about Dolan but not that paying $65M tax would really bother him... If he wants a chip he'll pay even more. He once paid $62M for Zeke's mess, so why wouldn't he pay for his own big 3?

IDK man like that article said it too much in the air to assume he is coming here. The knicks may be keeping space just because why waste it before the 2012 bonanza of free agent players.