Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Melo Stood To LOse $5.8M If He Signed As A FA

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    It was about the money to him. He told Donnie the Knicks were his first choice but he wanted that extension (i.e. money) and would go with the Nets if we didn't trade for him. I don't blame Donnie for doing what Melo forced him to do. I only blame Melo (and Dolan for meddling). He had all the power. The decision was his alone.

Is that what this was all about? Getting to the playoffs? Half a season of games and make the playoffs (which we would have done regardless)? I thought this was about building a championship contender? And there is no way you can say that his decision didn't make it more difficult to do than if he had waited. We would be championship contenders THIS YEAR if he signed with us right now. Now, we will have to wait another year or two, at least. This team is not as good as many of you think. It needs A LOT of pieces.

And there is the difference between us. I DO fault the guy for demanding he come to the Knicks right away. All he had to do was wait a few months. It was greed, plain and simple. There is no other way to look at it. You can sugar coat it and make excuses for him all you want, but you can't say the Knicks woudn't be better if he had waited and signed with us. This is about the Knicks winning a championship. That's the only thing that matters. His greed made it more difficult for us, much more difficult. And that bothers me.

Melo has a lot to prove to Knick fans. We'll see.
    The most important words in this duscussion. Knicks for life, championship for New York!

First of all, Melo has no control over what DEN asks for in a trade. Second, I can't blame Melo for wanting to get a deal done prior to the CBA being expired. From what I read, everyone knew this lockout was going to get messy and a smart player would prefer his finances to be in place before an unfavorable new agreement is signed for the next 10 years.

Also, even though Melo's ultimate choice was NY, he made it known that he wanted an extension in the process. I don't understand why people are acting like they didn't know this. WE wanted him to wait until the summer. In all truth, we were f***ed by time. If the CBA expired in 2014 maybe Melo waits till the offseason like Paul is ready to do.

Yes we gave up a lot off assets, but lets not forget we traded for one of the best young players in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. Walsh couldn't have said no to DEN because if we lost Melo he would have been ridiculed harshly. Sure we could use a few of the players we traded but having Melo and Billups aint bad. Plus, if Shump turns out to be a stud and Jordan is decent then all is well with everyone.

On a side note: I really think its Walker's time to show how valuable he really is. Dantoni has limited him (to a purely outside threat) but he's really made in the same mold as a Jason Richardson.

If you guys think getting Melo to NY was a bad deal then you are retarded. It was a must move. Both for basketball and creating that buzz around the team being back. Marketing is everything when you start building an empire. ..Wake up People...Getting Melo is the best thing that have happen to the Knicks since Patrick Ewing,,Roll with the program friends..

GO KNICKS

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    First of all, Melo has no control over what DEN asks for in a trade. Second, I can't blame Melo for wanting to get a deal done prior to the CBA being expired. From what I read, everyone knew this lockout was going to get messy and a smart player would prefer his finances to be in place before an unfavorable new agreement is signed for the next 10 years.
    Exactly.

Why do people expect him to do anything other than what he did. He had to get a deal done before the new CBA. That was his priority. I don't blame him. I would want the same thing. So would the other people on here who are crying over this nonsense. Most of y'all who are bitching would do the exact same thing!!

Would we have been better off waiting til FA, not getting Melo and twittling our thumbs with the same average prospects and Amare. Idk. I think probably not. We're in a better position now than we were then, easily.

And you can't just say you would rather have had him in a different scenario/situation, or whatever. Especially when that situation more than likely would not have landed you the player. Did Melo know that he stood to only lose approx 5.8 mil? I doubt that very much. Who here honestly thinks Melo would/should of have waited to sign w us as a FA considering all of the BS we've seen between the owners and NBAPA recently? To question him for not going this route is simply unrealistic, irrational when you consider how people generally will place their own self-interest above all else. The man handled his business and that's all you can expect from him.

People got chill and be real about this ***t.

Why did he have to get a deal done before the new CBA? I was saying over a year ago that max contracts weren't going to change much. There was no way the league was going to lower the salaries of its most important players the way everybody was saying.

The people that stood to lose the most were the mid-level to upper players. I said this over a year ago. It was players like Jamal Crawford and Nene that stood to lose the most, yet we never heard any complaining or demands from them.

It was selfish greed, nothing else. And I can't understand why so many people want to make false excuses for it. Hey, if he wins us a championship, then all is forgiven. But he certainly made it harder for the Knicks to do it, and the level of scrutiny on Melo will be much greater because so.

Why did he have to get a deal done before the new CBA? I was saying over a year ago that max contracts weren't going to change much. There was no way the league was going to lower the salaries of its most important players the way everybody was saying.

The people that stood to lose the most were the mid-level to upper players. I said this over a year ago. It was players like Jamal Crawford and Nene that stood to lose the most, yet we never heard any complaining or demands from them.

It was selfish greed, nothing else. And I can't understand why so many people want to make false excuses for it. Hey, if he wins us a championship, then all is forgiven. But he certainly made it harder for the Knicks to do it, and the level of scrutiny on Melo will be much greater because so.

You don't know until you know. Seems it's much easier too say what you're saying now as we've seen events unfold.

Is it really worth it for a player of Melo's caliber to wait and risk possibly losing tens of millons?? Probably not. I hear you, but i still can't fault him.

Amare took 100 mil from Dolan as a FA. Did that make things harder for us?

Haven't heard you lamenting that move.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    You don't know until you know. Seems it's much easier too say what you're saying now as we've seen events unfold.

Is it really worth it for a player of Melo's caliber to wait and risk possibly losing tens of millons?? Probably not. I hear you, but i still can't fault him.

Amare took 100 mil from Dolan as a FA. Did that make things harder for us?

Haven't heard you lamenting that move.
    That's the thing. I've been saying this for over a year, not just now. Shouldn't be anything new to the regulars here.

I don't complain about Amare because he came here as a free agent. If Melo came here as a free agent he would probably be my favorite Knick because it would have showed how important winning, and especially winning for the Knicks, was to him. And if Amare had forced the Knicks to trade all of their assets, draft picks and flexibility for a few extra million, Amare would be at the top of my Knick s**t list too.

Blame Melo's former agent if he didn't convince Melo to sign on for an extra year unlike the Heat 3 then he woulda been a FA in 2012 and signed with STAT at the same time we coulda still got Felton just no Turiaf, Randolph and Azubuike

Originally Posted by MadJack
    So how does it work out that Paul will lose $40 million if he becomes a free agent next year?

BUMP.

Can someone explain why Paul loses $40 million but Melo loses only like $5 million?

Let me make it simple for you guys. In todays market. YOU NEED STARS to win championship. Do you guys think "cheap ****" is gonna get you pass LeBron, D-Wade and Chris Bosh? GET REAL..If you don't see that than you are clueless. If we want to compete, we have to spend. Look at Dallas and Mark Cuban...HE KNEW what he had to do. Thats how you win...YOU SPEND...LAKERS, Celtics..Dallas.They spend...they win..

That's the thing. I've been saying this for over a year, not just now. Shouldn't be anything new to the regulars here.

I don't complain about Amare because he came here as a free agent. If Melo came here as a free agent he would probably be my favorite Knick because it would have showed how important winning, and especially winning for the Knicks, was to him. And if Amare had forced the Knicks to trade all of their assets, draft picks and flexibility for a few extra million, Amare would be at the top of my Knick s**t list too.
    Yea but what you're saying is easy to speculate about. Melo's the one that stands to lose dough.You mean to tell me if he goes to Jersey and we're stuck with what we had and missed the opportunity to get him you'd be happy about that?? You seriously wouldn't cry about it??

He's gotta make a decision based on what's best for him. l don't think we knew that stars salaries would basically stay as they are so certainly as youre claiming. I believe there was much uncertainty about that around the time he was making his decision, which is why he decided it was best that he make a deal when he did. I don't blame him for it.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Nov 30, 2011 at 22:02.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Yea but what you're saying is easy to speculate about. Melo's the one that stands to lose dough.You mean to tell me if he goes to Jersey and we're stuck with what we had and missed the opportunity to get him you'd be happy about that?? You seriously wouldn't cry about it??

He's gotta make a decision based on what's best for him. l don't think we knew that stars salaries would basically stay as they are so certainly as youre claiming. I believe there was much uncertainty about that around the time he was making his decision, which is why he decided it was best that he make a deal when he did. I don't blame him for it.
    No. I would have been fine with Melo on the Nets. I can think of a dozen realistic scenarios where we could build a better team without him. Too many people have the false idea that the only way we could win was with Melo. Our team is not as good as people think. Melo was not the "be all and end all" for the Knicks.

This year im gonna try to ignore all the politics and just enjoy the fact that we're a tough playoff team. Definitely not a championship team at least yet, but im just gonna try to enjoy this and not get caught up in the negatives. I do agree with LJ4PTplay, you made several great points but Melo is here, we made the trade and theres no going back now. So we might as well just enjoy having 2 all stars. I mean last years playoffs didnt even count because of all the injuries we had, Im just hopin we can get some decent role players for the minimum and hold it down as a top 4 or 5 team in the east.

Originally Posted by LeFlume
    Let me make it simple for you guys. In todays market. YOU NEED STARS to win championship. Do you guys think "cheap ****" is gonna get you pass LeBron, D-Wade and Chris Bosh? GET REAL..If you don't see that than you are clueless. If we want to compete, we have to spend. Look at Dallas and Mark Cuban...HE KNEW what he had to do. Thats how you win...YOU SPEND...LAKERS, Celtics..Dallas.They spend...they win..
    So you're saying Melo is the only star. That Melo was the only chance to get a star and if we passed we would never get another star?

By the way, Dallas only has 1 star but a very deep TEAM.

*Edit - None of this matters anyway. It's not the point. Why does everyone make excuses for obvious greed. I have more respect for Kingstarbury because he accepts it and just says he's happy to have him. That's fine. No need to make excuses for Melo.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Nov 30, 2011 at 22:45.

No I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is--that Melo was something we had to do. I don't think it would have been easy to get another star if we had missed the opportunity to land 'Melo.

I don't think any upcoming FA would have seen the Knicks as a contender with STAT and roleplayers. Remember we lost LeBron. We diden't look relevant. Miami, Bulls a lot of team looked sexier than us. If we had missed 'Melo the Knicks stock would have dropped fast...