Chris Sheridan says he thinks Jordan is a ROY caondiate

New New York

Quiet Storm
Major caveat.....his words not mine!!!!

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/11/30/rookie-of-the-year-could-it-be-the-knicks-jordan/#more-2549

But I have been following this kid loosely since the lockout (the Jamaican Press is so loyal to him and literally post every performance he has) and he has been getting better in the last month....what does that mean? well it does mean not inviting him to training camp would be dumb consiering our lack of size! Beyond that there are no real garuntees (spelled wrong).

I highly doubt Rookie of the Year consideration (or even an appearence on the 12 man rookie All Star game team) but I can see him being pretty solid for us.

Not Shaq by no means, but possibly Darko Millic!?

I imagine something like 5 pts and 6 rebs 1 blk and 7ft!!!! Which is truly about as much as we can expect from anyone we could realistically bring in this year.

A situation worth montoiring for sure!!!!

nyk_nyk

All Star

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/11/30/rookie-of-the-year-could-it-be-the-knicks-jordan/#more-2549

But I have been following this kid loosely since the lockout (the Jamaican Press is so loyal to him and literally post every performance he has) and he has been getting better in the last month....what does that mean? well it does mean not inviting him to training camp would be dumb consiering our lack of size! Beyond that there are no real garuntees (spelled wrong).

I highly doubt Rookie of the Year consideration (or even an appearence on the 12 man rookie All Star game team) but I can see him being pretty solid for us.

I imagine something like 5 pts and 6 rebs 1 blk and 7ft!!!! Which is truly about as much as we can expect from anyone we could realistically bring in this year.

You need to re-read the article. Sheridan never said Jordan would be a ROY candidate.

"But a major role on a winning team would put him in the hunt, and at this point in the preseason (wait a minute, it?s not the preseason quite yet) it is not too soon to rule anybody of the ROY race."

That's called an open statement and can be related to all rookies. I thought he really believed he could win it based on pure skill set.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Idk if I'm alone on this but I feel this is a no brainer. We need size and this kid has potential. We have the veteran leadership on this team and young core to learn from them. Sign and play him Mike.

Shumpert & Jordan battling for ROY in NY. I'd like to see that.

New New York

Quiet Storm
You need to re-read the article. Sheridan never said Jordan would be a ROY candidate.

"But a major role on a winning team would put him in the hunt, and at this point in the preseason (wait a minute, it?s not the preseason quite yet) it is not too soon to rule anybody of the ROY race."

That's called an open statement and can be related to all rookies. I thought he really believed he could win it based on pure skill set.

"in the hunt" or outright saying he's a canidate is truly a matter of symantics....but besides all that....the point I'm making is that we should be for sure bringing him into camp next week.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jerome Jordan has the raw talent to be that Perkins/Bynum in a lineup with
Amare & Melo. The two superstar-fowards dont need a scoring center, they
will be fine with a few alleyoop & putbacks from C-Jordan. They need Jordan
to box-out for the defensive-rebound, and screen-off good defenders.

^^exactly. I know the Knicks have been down for a while and maybe thats what's giving a few fans this sense that we are in a dire situation. We don't need every great player to be on the roster...All we need is someone to clog the middle (no more easy baskets like last season) and grab a few boards. That will be a simple find in the NBA.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
Jerome Jordan has the raw talent to be that Perkins/Bynum in a lineup with
Amare & Melo. The two superstar-fowards dont need a scoring center, they
will be fine with a few alleyoop & putbacks from C-Jordan. They need Jordan
to box-out for the defensive-rebound, and screen-off good defenders.

No, he doesn't have that talent in anyway. He has the talent to be a backup big man or an uninspiring starter. He is nowhere close to Bynum and Perkins. Hell he's OLDER than Bynum is, and he hasn't even played a minute in the NBA. To me his upside is very limited since he's already 25. If he can play decent minutes at center, that would be the best case scenario.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Give Jordan a shot

The Knicks would be crazy not to give this kid a legitimate shot.

What happens from there is up to him, and to the rest of the team.

I really want to see what we have in Billups, Brown, Jordan, Shumpert, Fields, and Harrelson before we start throwing trade scenarios, let alone serious money (other than 1 yr deals) at free agents, around.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Give Jordan a shot

The Knicks would be crazy not to give this kid a legitimate shot.

What happens from there is up to him, and to the rest of the team.

I really want to see what we have in Billups, Brown, Jordan, Shumpert, Fields, and Harrelson before we start throwing trade scenarios, let alone serious money (other than 1 yr deals) at free agents, around.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
It says in the article that he schooled Jonas Valanciunas recently. Valanciunas is an immense talent for someone so young. He was amazing at the Eurobasket this year so Jordan may very well prove to be a good player for us.

Kiyaman

Legend
No, he doesn't have that talent in anyway. He has the talent to be a backup big man or an uninspiring starter. He is nowhere close to Bynum and Perkins. Hell he's OLDER than Bynum is, and he hasn't even played a minute in the NBA. To me his upside is very limited since he's already 25. If he can play decent minutes at center, that would be the best case scenario.

u must not remember Perkins and Bynum first two seasons in the NBA....
Bynum performance had Kobe wanting out of LA....
Perkins performance had Pierce wanting out of Boston....
Both Centers needed a bigman-coach on the bench to point out how to
position themselves through the different type of NBA oponents.
Plus both Perkins/Bynum were put in a lineup with one of the NBA top-5 PF
on offense/defense to help them position themselves.

Under the right headcoach Amare could make Jordan & Jorts a strong-force
on the Knicks.

iSaYughh

Starter
Age shouldn't be a knock on a player like him. IMO, Jordan-Giraffe-Amare will be our three-headed monster, with Amare going in when we play Turiaf (and Williams) at the 4.

Marc Gasol was on the older side when he got into the NBA mix. An NBA ascent like that would be our jackpot for Jordan.

I expect a quarter of a season or so of musical chairs with our 5. Even when someone is doing rather well, or rather poorly. Which means we'll probably see quite a bit of bitching on KO during this period :beer:

Jordan may well be our stalwart 5, but I see MDA shooting for something of a 2 (even 3) headed "center by committee" situation. Until we bring in a bona fide starting center. He won't extend Jordan (or whomever's) playing time to that of a true, proven starting C, even when if he/they look like they are (i.e. could be) one.

And let's never discount Amare being an all-star voted C, and that in many rotations we deploy, he could fill appreciable minutes in many games there.

With the versatility of Amare, Melo, Fields -- to name three -- I'm looking forward to some creative fireworks designed by MDA.

mafra

Legend
I'll be happy if Jordan is better than Mozgov. This will make me starting to feel better about trading 4 starters & draft picks for Carmelo Anthony.

Wilson Chandler was a free agent anyway, so no matter what happened last Feb. 'ill-Will' would be playing in China now anyway.

Swapping Gallinari-Felton for Anthony-Billups makes complete sense.

If Jordan is better than Mozgov, then losing the Russian won't be all that tough (not like TM was the next DH anyway).

Anthony Randolph never got a shot here, but what happened in GSW & NYK has to be some of AR's fault (immature, work ethic, on-court decisions). Still, it was our coach who refused to be patient with AR (and Darko).

The draft picks hurt, but I'm more upset with the Mcgrady trade anyway. And for dealing our SF-PG for DEN's, going from Gallo to Melo, it should cost a 1st and 2 2nd round picks.

So, this all comes back to Jerom Jordan. Go play some post defense. Block a shot or two. Rebound. Dunk a ball off a missed shot, or when ball is fed to you under the glass.

mafra

Legend
Then again... reports out of DEN say Mozgoz will start at C; and that he's looking really good right now (video footage from Russia). Watch Jordan be a decent player & Mozgov be the next Big-Z.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
u must not remember Perkins and Bynum first two seasons in the NBA....

You must not realize Jerome Jordan is 25 already. Perkins and Bynum were 19 and 18 when they entered the NBA. That's a huge difference in upside for those players.

Bynum performance had Kobe wanting out of LA....
Perkins performance had Pierce wanting out of Boston....

So Kobe and Pierce wanted to leave their respective teams SOLELY because of Bynum and Perkins.........seriously? You aren't really trying to make that argument.....right?

Both Centers needed a bigman-coach on the bench to point out how to
position themselves through the different type of NBA oponents.
Plus both Perkins/Bynum were put in a lineup with one of the NBA top-5 PF
on offense/defense to help them position themselves.

Under the right headcoach Amare could make Jordan & Jorts a strong-force
on the Knicks.

Under the right head coach, if EVERYTHING goes right for them, and if they are immensely talented second round picks, sure. But the odds of that are VERY unlikely. If one of the two can play competent minutes off the bench, that would be a success. But I doubt either will be an NBA starter for any long stretch in their careers.

Paul1355

All Star

please, i dont see Jordan getting even close to a nomination. He should make an impact but he doesnt have the strength and toughness of Josh Harrelson, who I think will be the bigger suprise this year....and if anything Iman Shumpert is going to be a good rookie and be anything close to a ROY on this team.

If Shumpert show that his court vision is better than Douglas and his shot has improved since being a GT, then he should get big minutes and take minutes away from TD and Fields