Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the media underrating & undervaluing our players again this year?

Default Why is the media underrating & undervaluing our players again this year?

I know we lost plenty in the Melo deal. But after that trade was consummated those kids went out there and played some serious ball. Easily helped Denver get a playoff birth out west. Before the trade our players werent good enough to net Melo.

Now I hear the same garbage again. The Knicks dont have enough to get CP3. Why? Billups a wily vet. TD gets better every season. Some draft picks and the Hornets are compensated well enough for a player that's going to leave the first chance he gets. Then they get nothing.

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I know we lost plenty in the Melo deal. But after that trade was consummated those kids went out there and played some serious ball. Easily helped Denver get a playoff birth out west. Before the trade our players werent good enough to net Melo.

Now I hear the same garbage again. The Knicks dont have enough to get CP3. Why? Billups a wily vet. TD gets better every season. Some draft picks and the Hornets are compensated well enough for a player that's going to leave the first chance he gets. Then they get nothing.
    I hear you. i still say they should take Turiaf, TD, Billups, and a future Pick. Billups and trade Ariza with CP3 to save that money from his contract.

The honest truth I read somewhere was that out of all the teams that lost stars last year the Jazz did the best. They moved their star for prospects instead of trying to get a fair price of current players.

If NO was smart it would take cap relief along with as many first rounders as it could squeeze out of the Knicks. This is even more true with the change in the rookie scale. If Paul really said NY or no where else its not possible to get equal value since where not trading a star player. they should just clear the books as much as possible and Ariza is their prime suspect to move.

^^ We have no picks before 2016 and I can't imagine the Hornets would take that.

@Clyde: you're right, maybe we doesn't have a lot of assets we could trade, but let's take Douglas for example. He's fast, has very good dribbling skills, create space easily and is an incredible three point shooter. The only problem is he's inconsistent. Last season we got lots of negative PR on Gallo, but I still remember him blocking Melo and shooting a three over Bullups:

Damn, this team (both before and after the trade) could shut up the crowd every single game night if they played some D.

Veteran

It has been the history of the Knicks vs media when the Knicks have a poor
    coaching-staff that cant get on the same-page the media direct the Knicks
    problems towards the low value of the Knicks players.

The re-hiring of coach Hubie Brown proved the media wrong twice.
    Coach Pat Riley proved the media wrong, and coach JVG proved the media
    wrong. This is why so many Knicks star players (Reed, McAdoo, Cartwright,
    King, Ewing) refuse to speak with the media on a daily basis.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Happens all the time in New York sports.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    ^^ We have no picks before 2016 and I can't imagine the Hornets would take that.

@Clyde: you're right, maybe we doesn't have a lot of assets we could trade, but let's take Douglas for example. He's fast, has very good dribbling skills, create space easily and is an incredible three point shooter. The only problem is he's inconsistent. Last season we got lots of negative PR on Gallo, but I still remember him blocking Melo and shooting a three over Bullups:

Damn, this team (both before and after the trade) could shut up the crowd
    every single game night if they played some D.
    That video of Knicks vs Nuggets and previous videos of Knicks vs Nuggets game
    showed how Melo always takes his time getting back on defense where Chandler,
    Harrington, and Gallo all had 30 point games vs Melo the past 3 seasons.

Gallo shooting a 3 over Billups proved why Melo never made it pass the first
    round until Billups came to Denver....Billups knew he had to defend Melo's
    man in a transition, its funny b/c Billups rarely had to defend Prince or RIP's
    man on a fastbreak or transition in Detroit.
    The each season improvement of "Gallo & Chandler" at the SF spot equal
    above the high scoring superstar Melo performance.
    PG-Billups wouldve luv having Gallo & Chandler at the SF-spot with Amare &
    Turiaf at the PF-spot.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    That video of Knicks vs Nuggets and previous videos of Knicks vs Nuggets game
    showed how Melo always takes his time getting back on defense where Chandler,
    Harrington, and Gallo all had 30 point games vs Melo the past 3 seasons.

Gallo shooting a 3 over Billups proved why Melo never made it pass the first
    round until Billups came to Denver....Billups knew he had to defend Melo's
    man in a transition, its funny b/c Billups rarely had to defend Prince or RIP's
    man on a fastbreak or transition in Detroit.
    The each season improvement of "Gallo & Chandler" at the SF spot equal
    above the high scoring superstar Melo performance.
    PG-Billups wouldve luv having Gallo & Chandler at the SF-spot with Amare &
    Turiaf at the PF-spot.
    Shut the hell up, no PG would want Gallo and Chandler over Melo on top of that Melo plays D its just he's relied upon so much to score, on top of that Melo has preached he will get better defensively, I'm sick of fans talking about how they miss Gallo and Chandler, they are not franchise guys PERIOD, Melo is a Franchise Player an Elite Player if you want Gallo and Chandler back go be a Nugget fan stop complaining and watch this man do work because all New York fans seem to do is point of the negatives in a player, how about the fact that Gallo was 6'10 yet couldnt bang with big men like Melo, 6'10 but average less rebounds than Melo who's 6'8, you talking blocks and shots, Melo hit the game winner over Danny Granger then blocked his attempt to seal the win, when the week prior Shawne Williams let Granger score over him, Melo had no help game 2 and had 42pts, 17rebs and 6ast, Gallo and Chandler would def have done that, so all you complainin about "giving up too much", take that Knicks squad and see how many more years of mediocrity and wishful thinking about which max players will come here, we got 2 Franchise Guys and a legit all star MVP point guard, 2 defensive rookies, an energy big, 2 more solid guards and a coach who knows O and one who knows D, we have a good team and will get better, so stop complaining and be ****ing patient

@Kiyaman: some numbers - Anthony with the Knicks: 6.7 RPB, 3.0 APG, 0.6 BPG and 26.3 PPG; and Wilson and Gallo combined (sharing time) when Knicks: 10.7 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1.8 BPG and 32.3 PPG.
    Which means Raymond made better numbers than Billups does, Fields played better before the trade, Amare still does his job and Melo does less than our two medicore small forwards combined. Nuggets before the trade: 0.561; after: 0.720 (including beating Celtics, Spurs, Lakers and Mavericks).

@CA7: said million times already, we know Anthony is your guy and we know this team is rebuilding, but it still seems: we played a bit better before the trade and Denver exploded and made a run to the playoffs when they got rid of CA and signed our medicore players... This season is crucial, I dont't trust CA and just two big games of 32 he played doesn't look good, so he better proves he's worth every penny of his contract.
    Last edited by Lercher; Dec 03, 2011 at 14:04.

@Kiyaman: some numbers - Anthony with the Knicks: 6.7 RPB, 3.0 APG, 0.6 BPG and 26.3 PPG; and Wilson and Gallo combined (sharing time) when Knicks: 10.7 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1.8 BPG and 32.3 PPG.
    Which means Raymond made better numbers than Billups does, Fields played better before the trade, Amare still does his job and Melo does less than our two medicore small forwards combined.

@CA7: said million times already, we know Anthony is your guy and we know this team is rebuilding, but it still seems: we played a bit better before the trade and Denver exploded and made a run to the playoffs when they got rid of CA and signed our medicore players... This season is crucial, I don't trust CA and just two big games of 32 he played don't look good, so he better proves he's worth every penny of his contract.
    Its 2 completely different situations, Denver was full of role players who play off of eachother so of course they were gonna be a little better and the only reason the Knicks had trouble was because of inconsistencies from Fields, we had Jeffries at Center, D'Antoni wouldnt play Turiaf enough, Shawne Williams only shot 3's and STAT started feeling banged up.

I still dont see how guys want Chandler and Gallo instead of Carmelo its just absurd and the fact that guys want Raymond Felton the guy who got torched by Jameer Nelson 2 years ago in the playoffs instead of a proven vet and Finals MVP who's game is still at a great level because he relies on smarts is just foolish too, and now we have Jerome Jordan who should be more of what we need than Timofey Mozgov.

Damn, this team (both before and after the trade) could shut up the crowd every single game night if they played some D.
    If CP3 is basically saying NY or Bust it makes more sense for NO to get something for him better than a cap hold if he just walks. Anyhow talking about the Knicks for the Nuggets give Gallo, Chandler, & Felton credit they use to go hard in those games to try to show there was no need for a trade. Gallo would damn near maul melo going for rebounds... Good times

Wilson and Danilo have been both drafted by the Knicks, which for many fans means something and makes them hope these young players could one day lead the franchise to the top the same way some of their predecessors have done. If you think Knicks you think Reed, you think Frazier or Ewing, which all have been drafted by the Knicks. Another point is, both Chandler and Gallinari have never ever complained or blamed the franchise, coaching staff or their teammates, when they screwed they said "we screwed", when they said "we love New York" they didn't mean extra $$$ and celebrity life, but the city and its people. For many of us it seemed they were not guys playing for Knicks to earn millions of dollars and get into the spotlight; they were like mates you can bump onto somewhere in the city and have a chat. Everybody feels sad when his friends got to leave and that's how many Knicks fans felt when Gallo and Wilson moved to Denver.

I dont understand how so many people can hate on Melo. He needs to stop talking, sure, but that's the majority of the players now. We struggled to score when we had Gallo and Chandler whenever Stat needed a break. How can anyone think we are a better team before Melo????? We need a COACH 1st, and some key role players. But we really need a COACH

We were a better team before the trade because everyone knew each other, some players were Knicks since 2007 or 2008, after arrival of Amare and some new pieces in the offseason of 2010 the team had a full training camp including a trip to Europe plus several preseason games. They were fully integrated at the beginning of the regular season and they knew how to run the system. Throughout many games after the trade Anthony tried to do what he does best: playing isolation and that's why it looked like he stops our offense where we used to watch quick SSOL plays. And therefore I expect the franchise to sign all missing pieces on December 9, so they have a bit more than two weeks to gel, get used to each other and the new assistant coach that runs some good defense, so they are ready to face the Celtics on the Christmas Day.

+ I don't hate Anthony, I just don't trust the guy, I give him credit but expect some major progress; less talking and more playing. I know he's a superstar and he gets lots of attention, but it's hard to replace certain players many fans loved to watch.

I can understand the trust concept, I surely don't trust our coach. I hope we can put the work in on defense and make sure our players are not logging heavy minutes and also finding some BIGS to man the middle and we can play with anybody

Veteran

Five Reasons:

i) Dolan rightfully gets little respect, and every trade he makes, especially one that it appears he tinkered with, will get extra scrutiny and no benefit of doubt.

ii) nyc haters; ESPN, for instance, stipulates in their workers' contracts that they have to get on their knees for a blowup doll of Paul Pierce once a month, during the days their menstrating.

iii) superficially, DEN did really well after the deal, we "struggled" (struggled relative to a team who was supposed to have gotten the king's side of a trade). in reality, the players we lost were better than people gave credit for, especially Gallo, and on an already incomplete roster, we lost starters who had been developed to work as a unit and had gelled nicely.

iv) dogma. a lightning rod for our team is that we will always suck at D because of MDA; a lightning rod surrounding Melo is he sucks at D; after the deal, every focus was on our tandem of Amare and Melo and their was a vortex of fodder for people to harp on and focus upon, all negative.

v) it's an easy bitch move to **** talk and second guess stuff in a herd with herd mentality. aka sports writers.