Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA 2k12

@Paul: good description of what most gamers think about 2K12; to be honest this is the first one of the entire series I decided to purchase and now I'm definately disappointed. Firstly, it isn't worth €59.99/$79.99, which is how much you have to take out of your wallet here in Europe. Secondly, the AI is ridiculous, no matter how quick, strong or skilled is your player, you opponent is always quicker, stronger and even more skilled. I get Amare coming off the screen, easy pass and when it looks like a power dunk coming BANG two or more defenders coming out of nowhere and blocking my guy; or when I use Toney to create enough space for a jumper or find a way to make a layup, no matter how quick crossovers he takes he never finds a free spot/passage. I could keep writing more and more about transition, isolation and plays but it doesn't change anything, this game sucks. And last but not least, when you've somehow got better and and start beating almost every time this game becomes more and more difficult, your difficulty level isn't changed but you feel it's got harder to take a good shot...

Veteran

This game is to imperfect to warrant how tough it is to "master" and have real, intuitive fun with.

If I'm not going to get easy, consistent satisfaction from playing a sports game, it better be because the perfection of detail top to bottom is there; and I can justify slaving through a steep learning curve, pissed off, to master things because the end result is the pinnacle of an awesome NBA experience in video game form.

Shame they haven't perfected this game yet. Basketball could be the ultimate sports game for the platforms out there now.

IMHO, NHL games are the most evolved at this point.

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    @Paul: good description of what most gamers think about 2K12; to be honest this is the first one of the entire series I decided to purchase and now I'm definately disappointed. Firstly, it isn't worth 59.99/$79.99, which is how much you have to take out of your wallet here in Europe. Secondly, the AI is ridiculous, no matter how quick, strong or skilled is your player, you opponent is always quicker, stronger and even more skilled. I get Amare coming off the screen, easy pass and when it looks like a power dunk coming BANG two or more defenders coming out of nowhere and blocking my guy; or when I use Toney to create enough space for a jumper or find a way to make a layup, no matter how quick crossovers he takes he never finds a free spot/passage. I could keep writing more and more about transition, isolation and plays but it doesn't change anything, this game sucks. And last but not least, when you've somehow got better and and start beating almost every time this game becomes more and more difficult, your difficulty level isn't changed but you feel it's got harder to take a good shot...
    wow $80 for a video game? Europe is cashing in.

The AI is too intelligent and too skilled, but this is because in 2k11 it was so easy to dunk over players and get ridicuous layups.

In 2k11 I had an amazing put back dunk with Terrence Williams, he jumped so high that his waist was at rim level on the putback and he did the putback over Lebron James and Dwayne Wade LOL unrealistic to say the least

And people were complaining about that.

They improved the fast paced game because in 2k11 you could never have a fast break pass because the AI would always steal it and anticipate an alleyoop. They still get every alleyoop pass in 2k12 but not as many full court passes for the fast break.

Players still make steals without even seeing the ball, it's ridiculous and idk how to fix it. Do I lower the AI defensive rating? I feel like that would just make them retarded.

I want to find someone who made sliders for the game that made the game feel realistic. I did this in 2k11 and made my experience ten times better, but I have yet to find good slider settings were a person was satisfied.

Some people changed their slider setting to increase the steals for the AI! I was like "this makes no sense"

And if you want to know a play that always works on offense, which has to be addressed in the next game, its a play were you post up your man and spin off him, works everysingle time and i blow past the defender, doesnt matter who you are or who the defender is, which just adds to the fantasy that this game displays.

I was pumped for this game, but it was disappointing. I still can't get this out of my mind, playing my friend online and he hit a 3point shot with Dwight Howard...smh

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    This game is to imperfect to warrant how tough it is to "master" and have real, intuitive fun with.

If I'm not going to get easy, consistent satisfaction from playing a sports game, it better be because the perfection of detail top to bottom is there; and I can justify slaving through a steep learning curve, pissed off, to master things because the end result is the pinnacle of an awesome NBA experience in video game form.

Shame they haven't perfected this game yet. Basketball could be the ultimate sports game for the platforms out there now.

IMHO, NHL games are the most evolved at this point.
    Don't know if you've played FIFA but they have that to an extremely high level right now. Problem is online is still plagued with totally random BS that screws you over. However in general most games are satisfying.

The worst things about this game is the canned animations that take way too long, awful player physics and lack of freedom of movement. I never played it but I do remember watching gameplay footage of EA Sports NBA 2010 game and the way they had the players move and do dribble moves looked AWESOME. Considering that it was the NBA 2k developer who first defected to EA and then returned to 2ksports who developed this system it seems crazy that they didn't implement it into the 2k series after 2 years.

The isomotion system is ridiculous that it uses the same stick that you need to move your player with. How are you supposed to pull off an intuitive move whilst running with the ball, when you have to have the stick held forward to move yet to do the iso move you need to do a motion on the stick which does not start from a forward position?

Trying to dribble at all with any PF/C is a joke, you will just give up the ball every time. Seriously a guy like Amare can't take 2 dribble touches without tripping over himself and letting the ball roll off into the oppositions hands? Plus everything just takes way too long to pull off, trying to set a screen or get into position to call for a pass when playing off the ball, and by the time you can pull it off the play has already moved to the other side of the court.

I hope EA comes back with their NBA franchise ASAP even if their game sucks it would at least give 2k some reason to try to make a good game.

Veteran

Originally Posted by smokes
    Don't know if you've played FIFA but they have that to an extremely high level right now. Problem is online is still plagued with totally random BS that screws you over. However in general most games are satisfying.

The worst things about this game is the canned animations that take way too long, awful player physics and lack of freedom of movement. I never played it but I do remember watching gameplay footage of EA Sports NBA 2010 game and the way they had the players move and do dribble moves looked AWESOME. Considering that it was the NBA 2k developer who first defected to EA and then returned to 2ksports who developed this system it seems crazy that they didn't implement it into the 2k series after 2 years.

The isomotion system is ridiculous that it uses the same stick that you need to move your player with. How are you supposed to pull off an intuitive move whilst running with the ball, when you have to have the stick held forward to move yet to do the iso move you need to do a motion on the stick which does not start from a forward position?

Trying to dribble at all with any PF/C is a joke, you will just give up the ball every time. Seriously a guy like Amare can't take 2 dribble touches without tripping over himself and letting the ball roll off into the oppositions hands? Plus everything just takes way too long to pull off, trying to set a screen or get into position to call for a pass when playing off the ball, and by the time you can pull it off the play has already moved to the other side of the court.

I hope EA comes back with their NBA franchise ASAP even if their game sucks it would at least give 2k some reason to try to make a good game.
    Actually am not well versed in FIFA; but ya, I have heard more and more that FIFA is at an extremely high level. I might give that a serious look now!

LOL @ Amare's handle described. Too true, too true.

We really do need EA to come back. Especially with 2k getting such love from the "professional" reviewer crew.... WTF?

Most descriptions here are 100% true. I love me some NBA2K but this year is far more frustrating.

As stated earlier. trying to make passes on breaks or into the paint is like a 50/50 chance it will be tipped or stolen. also a very high ammount of shots get blocked or locked into a contact animation that has you missing anyway.

My biggest gripe is unless your an oragami finger ninja, its almost impossible to pull off any of the isomotion moves needed to actually penetrate on a dribble drive to get to the hoop and make a flashy shot.. also considering you dont get stuffed or knocked out by the instant collapsing Defense.

whats makes all the above worse.. The computer has no problem getting to the hole and dunking on your whole team and hitting clutch layups through contact on the regular.

And the play calling system is horrible compared to last year.. i play with the graphics on so i can see what every one is supposed to be doing.. they rarely do it and plays rarely work.. the pick and roll wich i ran to perfection last year never works with the help defense of the cpu.

I dont play it anywhere near as much as I played 2k11.. I would rent before I bought this one

@Paul: there is a huge difference between 8.9% (max. NY) and 19% (stand. NL) sales taxes. At least many services are much cheaper over here, when my mobile plan takes $27.30/month my NY mate pays $39.99/month for less minutes, text and data.

It was $110 for PS3 in Electronics Boutique in Australia, it made me hold off on buying it, it is probably a bit more reasonable now! I want to play the new Knicks so I guess I will have to hunt around and see if I can get it for a price I am willing to pay.