?Im a lot like Kendrick Perkins Dennis Rodman type player?? Josh Harrelson aka Jorts

KingCharles34

All Star
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_rookie_harrellson_playing_CY4ySYWqkCyw3oxVSwxL6N

Knicks rookie center Josh Harrellson envisions himself as a Kendrick Perkins/Dennis Rodman type.

But the 6-10, 270-pounder from Kentucky knows the NBA lockout didn?t help his cause this season, with the cancellation of the rookie summer league in Las Vegas and being unable to work out with Knicks coaches until this week.

?Since we didn?t have summer league and training camp was just two weeks, I?m a couple of steps behind where I should be at this point,?? Harrellson said. ?With not being able to get the coaching I needed at this point, hopefully I can come here, keep my ears open and watch the veteran guys and pick it up quicker. Hopefully I can come in and make an impact, getting rebounds, playing defense, loose balls and do little things, so our All-Star players won?t have to.??

Harrellson was selected in the second round by New Orleans in June. The Hornets, owned by the NBA, traded his rights to the Knicks for $1 million. It may be the only trade the Knicks and Hornets are able to pull off.
Voluntary workouts without coaches began last Thursday, with Harrellson showing up Monday. Training camp will begin tentatively Friday but it could be pushed back to Monday if the collective bargaining agreemtn isn?t officially ratified.

Harrellson spent the lockout at Kentucky, working out with potential No. 1 pick Anthony Davis plus former Kentucky players DeMarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, John Wall and Rajon Rondo. Even LeBron James and Rudy Gay showed up for some run with the Wildcats.

?I think we have the best facilities in the world at Kentucky,?? said Harrellson, whose nickname is ?Jorts? because of his penchant for wearing jean shorts. ?They did a lot for me to get drafted. I got the best trainers there and got to work out for free.??

Harrellson said Knicks fans can expect a grinding, tough-guy center but he may not play much this season. Center is their thinnest position and is a focus of free agency, with Jeff Foster and Kurt Thomas their top choices.

?I?m a lot like Kendrick Perkins, Dennis Rodman type player,?? Harrellson said. ?I?m tough and I?m going to do the little things, offensive rebounds, going to play good defense, take charges. The little things that those two did to make their teams successful: Kendrick at Boston, Rodman for the Bulls (and Pistons). The little things those guys did to make championships teams better.??

Harrellson, despite his size, feels he can handle Mike D?Antoni?s speedball attack.

?At Kentucky we liked to play up-tempo basketball, get points in transition,?? Harrellson said. ?I was able to run up and down the court last year as good as (any big man) in the nation. That?s what I?m trying to get back to at this level: being able to do same thing and outwork people I play against.??

No new faces were at the Knicks' Westchester facility Tuesday. Andy Rautins, who broke his nose playing for Team Canada at the FIBA Americas Championship; Landry Fields, Iman Shumpert, Carmelo Anthony and Toney Douglas are the only arrivals.

Have his teammates been calling Harrellson ?Jorts???

"Not yet,?? said Harrellson, who has a cult following at Kentucky. ?Hopefully we?ll get them going.??

I like his attitude...hopefully he can back it up with his play and earn some minutes. Im hopin he can be a stronger, better defensive version of david lee. I doubt he'll score as much though but thats ok, Id rather have him defend well

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I like his mentality. He knows what this team needs, and is willing to sacrifice getting buckets to help the team defensively. If he can get 6-7 boards 1-1.5 blocks per game, I'll be a happy camper. :beer:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Jorts has been putting out the blue collar vibe all lockout, but this takes the cake.

I prefer the walk to the talk. Let's see which is truly his fort?.

finestrg

Rotation player
There's no denying Jerome Jordan's bigger & has more overall potential...I just get the feeling this kid Jorts is gonna be more useful for us though. I could see Jordan playing like a deer in headlights if given a chance a-la Mozgov, whereas this kid will probably come in there and practice exactly what he's been preaching. And Lord knows we need exactly what he's been talking about lately..

I really want both on the roster to compete against each other -- whoever plays well and wins the head-to-head competition sticks; whoever doesn't gets retained and sent to the D-League to develop further..I just can't for the life of me understand why we haven't been hearing about bringing Jordan back from overseas, yet it's confirmed that Jeffries is coming back. Someone explain that to me. I will never understand their fascination with Jared Jeffries..NEVER! The guy's terrible --- if he said he would come and play for free I wouldn't even be interested!

Last edited:

portega1968

El Cacique
We were due for "the stupid comment" that will haunt a player for the rest of his life...

Mr. "I'm the best PG in the NBA" Marbury still tops the leaderboard.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@finestrg: Harrellson is 2" shorter than Jordan but he weighs 25 pounds more, in hoops being big doesn't only mean being tall, but having some meat to stop guys like Garnett or Howard, this what makes centers like Perkins (6'10/280) so successful.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
This man is fighting for a job and saying all the right things. Like Crazy said only time will tell what he is all about.

finestrg

Rotation player
@finestrg: Harrellson is 2" shorter than Jordan but he weighs 25 pounds more, in hoops being big doesn't only mean being tall, but having some meat to stop guys like Garnett or Howard, this what makes centers like Perkins (6'10/280) so successful.

Yeah, no argument man. I just got done saying I think Jorts will have the greater impact of the two. And I understand strength & girth has a lot to do with being able to guard the post. A couple of weeks ago I was talking about (and marveling at actually) how underrated a post defender Chuck Hayes is & how successful he is at guarding some of the top bigs in the league like Amar'e, the Ticket, etc.. And that guy only goes about 6'6"! When I said JJ's bigger than Jorts, I meant taller..Sorry for the confusion.

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_rookie_harrellson_playing_CY4ySYWqkCyw3oxVSwxL6N

I like his attitude...hopefully he can back it up with his play and earn some minutes. Im hopin he can be a stronger, better defensive version of david lee. I doubt he'll score as much though but thats ok, Id rather have him defend well

We need someone like Josh Harrelson, a reggie evans type of player, just mean and tough and can change the mentality of the team and make them play a little harder.

When I play basketball and see someone making a big effort to rebound and hustle, it makes me want to rebound and hustle more, Jorts will have this affect.

If he can develop a decent mid range shot and rebound better than Turiaf, who sucks at rebounding, and can play better defense then Jeffries which is just taking charges, then Jorts will get more playing time as the year goes.

The only problem will be if he is out of shape, because then Mike D won't even play him one minute.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Remember now we have Woodson on board, which means he can push D'Antoni to give our defensive-minded players more playing time. MDA got rid of almost all our players being known of willingness to play some D last season, but with Woodson joining the crew it might have changed and Harrellson together with Shumpert and Douglas could get some heavy minutes because of their defensive skills.

Kiyaman

Legend
:thumbsup: Jorts will become our future BIGBODY in the paint....he is good for
8 to 16 minutes of playintime per this season. We need coach Woodson to
force this on the headcoach.
The Knicks would be silly not to sign a minimum wage Jerome Jordan

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
They should sign both Harrellson and Jordan + get an experienced center via free agency. It seems there is no way we sign Paul or Howard now or in the 2012 offseason, so I'd try to figure out if we could make an acceptable offer for Marc Gasol.

edit: I checked our salary and it's possible to offer young Gas a contract he could accept, he deserves at least $10M/year, our salary cap is around $60M, but due to a shortened season we save 19.5% on contracts which is almost a $12M cut off our cap and gives us exactly $10M... but it would be too easy, probably the 2011/12 cap will be also cut by 19.5%, right?

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
Lots of positivity in this thread, if Harrelson can step in and contribute immediately, and if the Knicks can get Hill too :sperm: I cant wait til Dec 17, we'll get our first preview of Jorts. We should get news even sooner then that, dont training camps open Friday?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Jorts, or J.Jordan should be our opening day Starting C. im liking J.Jordan i think his defense is outstanding. and Jorts starting off as a second unit C will help us maintain toughness and contribution from our bigs

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
We were due for "the stupid comment" that will haunt a player for the rest of his life...

Mr. "I'm the best PG in the NBA" Marbury still tops the leaderboard.

I second this.

But hey, if he truly has that mentality, power to him, just remember to put it all out on the court.