Knicks will sign Tyson Chandler, use amnesty on Billups

Paul1355

All Star
This just came in from theknicksblog.com...credit to Tommy Dee.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/12/08/whhhaaatt/

Apparently, MULTIPLE LEAGUE EXECUTIVES have put the Knicks in front of the Warriors in the bid for Tyson Chandler.

The Knicks would use the amnesty clause on Billups, freeing up 14 million dollars in cap space for a signing.

If this deal actually occured, think of how good we would be.

We know Billups is not a long term solution, and maybe we can sign a decent PG who has court vision or make a trade for someone like Ramon Sessions?

Possible lineup

Douglas
Hill
Melo
Amare
Chandler

AND

Chris Paul would be salivating at the idea of coming to NY after Chandler, his buddy that he had great chemistry with the Hornets, is now a Knick. Oh boy I'm getting excited by this news! Hopefully it's true.

portega1968

El Cacique
this seems not possible for different reasons:

1. Chauncey Billups (and his expiring deal) are one of the few trading chips they have by the Feb deadline.

2. Why use the amnesty on a contract that comes off the books next summer when it can be better used on a worse deal down the line?

3. Giving him all that money for more than one year will have us over the cap next summer, which means no Paul or Deron.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Wow - Is this a Joke

I was about to post this bastards beat me to it lol. I was thinking is this some kind of sick joke.. But if it is what is needed I agree do it! The leadership we lose from Billups would be brought back if we can steal Chandler from Dallas. I would hope this would help us secure CP3 but if not **** it. We would be presumably set at the 5,4,and 3 positions for the foreseeable future.

:gony::gony::gony:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
very possible the amnesty is only to be used on contracts signed before the CBA so any new deals under new CBA is ineligible. the salaries would work. and to be honest Chandler is a much more important need then Paul. we get a C while allowing us to mold a future PG, maybe Shumpert? and we have flexibility to do more. Paul would be great but not a necessity; However, chandler is.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Tyson Chandler has received an official offer from the Warriors worth more than $60 million over four years, according to a source.
Chandler is an unrestricted free agent after spending last season with the Mavericks.
In order to sign Chandler, the Warriors will likely need to amnesty Andris Biedrins.
Golden State is hoping to receive a commitment from Chandler on the first day of free agency on Friday.

portega1968

El Cacique
Tyson Chandler has received an official offer from the Warriors worth more than $60 million over four years, according to a source.
Chandler is an unrestricted free agent after spending last season with the Mavericks.
In order to sign Chandler, the Warriors will likely need to amnesty Andris Biedrins.
Golden State is hoping to receive a commitment from Chandler on the first day of free agency on Friday.

I'm pretty sure one of the under-the-cap teams will bid for Biedrins if this goes down. So let's not get our hopes up that we will have a chance on him.

The ChandleramnestyBillups piece sounds bogus

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Well knicks front office is stupid, but why wud we amnesty an expiring 14 mill contract? Not a good move. And while chandler was good for dallas, hes not KG-esque on the defensive end and he played well during a contract yr. we hav to be careful he may not be all that hes cracked up to be.

p0nder

Starter
Very interesting....perhaps in light of the possibility of losing out on CP3 the knicks made a play to bring in the big man they need?

On the amnesty contract situation... is it possible the knicks could amnesty the contract and then resign billups for minimum? It was my understanding that in picking up Billups option we wanted him as a part of the team this year...?

Is this a fundamental shift in the team dynamic to a defense 1st mentality? (Shumpert, Woodson, T. Chandler?)

Is it possible that Paul and Tyson (or their representation) talked with one another about landing on the same team? They are the biggest names circulating out there....

portega1968

El Cacique
Very interesting....perhaps in light of the possibility of losing out on CP3 the knicks made a play to bring in the big man they need?

On the amnesty contract situation... is it possible the knicks could amnesty the contract and then resign billups for minimum? It was my understanding that in picking up Billups option we wanted him as a part of the team this year...?

Is this a fundamental shift in the team dynamic to a defense 1st mentality? (Shumpert, Woodson, T. Chandler?)

Is it possible that Paul and Tyson (or their representation) talked with one another about landing on the same team? They are the biggest names circulating out there....

Doesn't the amnesty provision forbid teams from resigning the players they let go? In any case, Billups will probably be picked up from waivers by an under-the-cap team, so I don't think this is a solid plan.

Personally, I'm all for defense and would like to have Chandler, but 60 million for 4 years is a ton of money for someone that isnt at the top of his position.

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
Trade is picking up steam.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Billups' still in dark on Knicks next move with him: amnesty, trade into cap space...or: Possible sign-and-trade with Dallas for Chandler?
Quote:
The Mavericks could possibly let JJ Barea leave as a free agent, and split the point guard duties in compact season with Kidd and Billups
Quote:
Knicks have privately assured people that if they trade Billups instead of using amnesty on him, he's destined for a "good team." Dallas?
Quote:
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Source close to Tyson Chandler talks just told ESPN.com: "It's 98 percent sure that Tyson is going to wind up with the Knicks."

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Doesn't the amnesty provision forbid teams from resigning the players they let go? In any case, Billups will probably be picked up from waivers by an under-the-cap team, so I don't think this is a solid plan.

Personally, I'm all for defense and would like to have Chandler, but 60 million for 4 years is a ton of money for someone that isnt at the top of his position.

Teams wud hav to bid for billups services, basically whoever says they'll pay the most of his salary gets him

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
In the latest twist of his expected departure from the Dallas Mavericks, Tyson Chandler is closing in on a deal with the New York Knicks, according to sources close to the process.

"New York is Tyson's first choice," one source told ESPN.com, confirming a Thursday report from CBSSports.com that the Knicks have jumped ahead of the Golden State Warriors in the race to sign Chandler.

"It's 98 percent sure that Tyson is going to wind up with the Knicks."

To create sufficient salary-cap space to sign Chandler, New York is expected to shed the contracts of Chauncey Billups and Ronny Turiaf, through either trades or the forthcoming amnesty clause.

Signing Chandler, sources said, could free up the Knicks to offer star forward Amare Stoudemire to the New Orleans Hornets in a trade scenario for Chris Paul, who badly wants to reunite with Chandler after their time together with the Hornets.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!

CP3 + Melo + Tyson = contenders!

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Trill beat me to it.. Do Itttttttttttttttttt I am with Ronoronia on this one.. I am for the colors who cares who's feelings are hurt in the process

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
I can't see how the Hornets would consider trading Paul for Amare. They want young players and picks. Amare is neither. And he has 80 million left on his uninsured contract. That is not how you rebuild a team.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
no way the Hornets (even managed by the league itself) would trade CP3 for Stat.....bad knees, big contract and Stat will implode mentally and they'll have nothing....plus, why would the Knicks give up their post scoring? i'd rather have Melo, Stat and Chandler.....because without Stat, it'll be Melo, Cp3, Chandler and Jeffries/J-Jordan/????/Harrelson/Some-other-scrub? Oh god no....

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
no way the Hornets (even managed by the league itself) would trade CP3 for Stat.....bad knees, big contract and Stat will implode mentally and they'll have nothing....plus, why would the Knicks give up their post scoring? i'd rather have Melo, Stat and Chandler.....because without Stat, it'll be Melo, Cp3, Chandler and Jeffries/J-Jordan/????/Harrelson/Some-other-scrub? Oh god no....

It is tempting to have the best frontcourt in the NBA and part of me wishes to reward STAT with our loyalty but CP3, Tyson and Melo compliment one another better than STAT, Melo and Tyson.

Lets not forget that the additions of CP3 and Tyson makes us instantly a way better defensive team.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
It is tempting to have the best frontcourt in the NBA and part of me wishes to reward STAT with our loyalty but CP3, Tyson and Melo compliment one another better than STAT, Melo and Tyson.

Lets not forget that the additions of CP3 and Tyson makes us instantly a way better defensive team.

so ur willing to give up elite scoring close to the basket for Chandler, who may or may not be as motivated as he was last yr? Remember, its not like he's ALWAYS played at that level during his career and he's more injury prone than Stat.....we have to be careful with this guy.....

iSaYughh

Starter

Exactly.

And Tyson + CP3 are exactly the type of players, especially in tandem, to take a guy like Melo and give him a Paul Pierce type transformation on defense.

Make no mistake: Surrounded by CP3 and Tyson -- with Melo as the undisputed scorer of the team -- his defense and defensive consistency will rise, perhaps skyrocket.

Amare has a been a good Knick and gave us a fresh face and talked a great game so we didn't look like total clowns. He also played absolute shit defense; and it has nothing to do with athletics or Superstar STAT never having had the "right" coaches.

This guy didn't bust his ass the extra degree for us on the court; lets not even entertain the idea of busting our ass to please him and show superfluous degrees of loyalty, as if there is any debt here.

He got a great deal coming here; we got a very good one with him coming, as well.

If he stays, awesome, can't wait to see him in a full season with Melo, and Chandler (cross fingers).

If he goes and we get CP3, I'll still be beyond esctatic.