Knicks will sign Tyson Chandler, use amnesty on Billups

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
somebody edited Chandler's wiki page already, that he's a Knick lollll

And in regards to Stat's defensive deficiencies, it's tough to be the best post defender while ur the primary scorer when the other power forwards like Jeffries and Turiaf and Williams aren't there to help u out.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
so ur willing to give up elite scoring close to the basket for Chandler, who may or may not be as motivated as he was last yr? Remember, its not like he's ALWAYS played at that level during his career and he's more injury prone than Stat.....we have to be careful with this guy.....

I'm willing to add Tyson and CP3 at the expensive of post scoring considering that Melo can play with his back to the basket better than STAT. Further, that is all STAT really brings and his weakness at defense and his inability to grab rebounds at a high rate makes him a liability in any playoff run.

Tyson just turned 29 and is a legit 7'1" center who is credited with changing the defensive culture in Dallas. I don't think Tyson would have trouble being motivated in the biggest market surrounded by two superstars. His injury history is just as worrisome as STATS so keeping our amnesty intact would be prudent.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I'm willing to add Tyson and CP3 at the expensive of post scoring considering that Melo can play with his back to the basket better than STAT. Further, that is all STAT really brings and his weakness at defense and his inability to grab rebounds at a high rate makes him a liability in any playoff run.

Tyson just turned 29 and is a legit 7'1" center who is credited with changing the defensive culture in Dallas. I don't think Tyson would have trouble being motivated in the biggest market surrounded by two superstars. His injury history is just as worrisome as STATS so keeping our amnesty intact would be prudent.

i was anticipating them using it next season when D12 walks or if some other young breakout guy is available....

quiggle

Starter
Andy Miller told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports that Billups is 'irrate' about the development.

"He has no intention of being open-minded about any possible situation where a team would claim him off waivers," said Miller.

yah now you know how irate us Knicks fans were when you got yourself injured and embrassed in the playoffs, go back to Denver or something.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Andy Miller told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports that Billups is 'irrate' about the development.

"He has no intention of being open-minded about any possible situation where a team would claim him off waivers," said Miller.

yah now you know how irate us Knicks fans were when you got yourself injured and embrassed in the playoffs, go back to Denver or something.

classic :rofl:

playoffs were awful last yr and i think people are forgetting how much better EVERY OTHER playoff squad was compared to the Knicks....

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Maybe they're gonna plan this lineup for 2012-2013:

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Grant Hill
SF: Melo
PF: Amar'e
C: Tyson Chandler

170px-NBA_Trophy.png

KingCharles34

All Star
Leaving practice today. Measured in at 6'11" 260 pounds, with 7% body fat. I'm ready!! All that work on my back payed off, I'm now 6'11"
-STAT

I guess you can still grow even in your late 20's :confused:

Funny post but i cant hate on Billups for being "irrate", i got a lot of respect for him wherever he goes

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Trill thats F*cked up Bro your sig is amare and you want to trade him away....

Felton Hill Melo Amare & Cbandler = Contenders also I say lets go get Felton.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I called it

Not to toot my own horn...but

I suggested amnesty Billups and sign Chandler or DeAndre Jordan on this forum yesterday (on the DeAndre Jordan thread - look it up).

I also suggested this on the air last night on ESPN radio (around 10 PM right before Al Hahn got on the air).

Maybe I should get a job with the Knicks. LOL.

The Amare for CP3 is pure speculation, but as I pointed out, this move made sense BECAUSE Billups was a one-year rental anyway. I love Billups, I do not think he is close to "done" but he was not in the long-term plans and everyone knew it, including him and his agent. There was too much good (such as signing a real defensive center) in getting under the cap now rather than next year, by amnestying Billups.

I have no idea if this leads to Amare for CP3 or not, but I almost don't care. With arguably the best front line in NBA (Chandler, Stat, Melo) you can find a serviceable point guard if you do not already have one in Shumpert. If you get CP3, then you have to find a power forward to complement them (maybe a bit harder to find, frankly).

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Alan Hahn: Multiple sources tell Newsday that Tyson Chandler will be a Knick. Billups and Turiaf involved to clear cap space.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Alan Hahn: Multiple sources tell Newsday that Tyson Chandler will be a Knick. Billups and Turiaf involved to clear cap space.

how tho? are we gonna waste amnesty on Billups? smh.....we need to hold that for next year in case Stat's health becomes an issue

smokes

Huge Member
how tho? are we gonna waste amnesty on Billups? smh.....we need to hold that for next year in case Stat's health becomes an issue

We have to do this deal as a S&T. First off it would be disgusting to Billups to re-sign him then amnesty him and force him to go play for a bottom feeder. It would be like forcing him into early retirement basically. Really horrendous PR move.

Secondly I believe that if Tyson re-signs with Dallas he can add another year to his contract? I dunno about this new CBA but I believe that's the case. Thus we could maybe drop his annual by a million or two to give him the extra year. Also Dallas could use Billups, with losing Barea. A Billups/Kidd combo at PG would be pretty solid.

I'm kinda hoping we can get away with not dropping Turiaf. He had to play C all last year which is not his natural position and I think having him backing up Amare would be good. I also like his energy and locker room presence. Unless we really NEED that cap space to go after someone I think we should avoid it. I also don't think losing his salary would actually free up any space because if we go under the cap then we have to go more than 5 million under to have more money than the MLE.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
We have to do this deal as a S&T. First off it would be disgusting to Billups to re-sign him then amnesty him and force him to go play for a bottom feeder. It would be like forcing him into early retirement basically. Really horrendous PR move.

Secondly I believe that if Tyson re-signs with Dallas he can add another year to his contract? I dunno about this new CBA but I believe that's the case. Thus we could maybe drop his annual by a million or two to give him the extra year. Also Dallas could use Billups, with losing Barea. A Billups/Kidd combo at PG would be pretty solid.

I'm kinda hoping we can get away with not dropping Turiaf. He had to play C all last year which is not his natural position and I think having him backing up Amare would be good. I also like his energy and locker room presence. Unless we really NEED that cap space to go after someone I think we should avoid it. I also don't think losing his salary would actually free up any space because if we go under the cap then we have to go more than 5 million under to have more money than the MLE.

I was with you all the way up until the bolded part. This is another one of those "Knicks fans are not aware of what they're working with". We weren't the worse post D in the league just because of STAT, it's also because Turiaf and Jeffries are 16th and 17th man off the bench on playoff teams. Check his regular averages (not even his advanced stats), he's garbage. I have no problem with him being shipped away in any capacity.

smokes

Huge Member
I was with you all the way up until the bolded part. This is another one of those "Knicks fans are not aware of what they're working with". We weren't the worse post D in the league just because of STAT, it's also because Turiaf and Jeffries are 16th and 17th man off the bench on playoff teams. Check his regular averages (not even his advanced stats), he's garbage. I have no problem with him being shipped away in any capacity.

But what do we have that's better? What can we get that's better? I don't disagree that Turiaf is not great (though I wouldn't put him in the same category as players like JJ and Balkman) but I think he can easily give you say 5 pts 3 boards and a block coming off the bench. His FG% is high he doesn't miss good looks and he has the hustle and energy to make big plays every once in a while, he ignites the crowd and the team.

Unless we were trading him for someone that would improve the team (which I don't really see happening) then he would be worth keeping, right now we have no one else to back up the PF spot.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Hopefully it's a sign-and-trade. This will allow us to hold onto that amnesty option. Plus, it will also allow us to have the full MLE at our disposal as well.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!

CP3 + Melo + Tyson = contenders!

Exactly, but apparently that means you don't know anything about Basketball if you want to get rid of Amar'e the man with knee and back problems and who refuses to play D and spent the playoffs watching from a prostate position.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
But what do we have that's better? What can we get that's better? I don't disagree that Turiaf is not great (though I wouldn't put him in the same category as players like JJ and Balkman) but I think he can easily give you say 5 pts 3 boards and a block coming off the bench. His FG% is high he doesn't miss good looks and he has the hustle and energy to make big plays every once in a while, he ignites the crowd and the team.

Unless we were trading him for someone that would improve the team (which I don't really see happening) then he would be worth keeping, right now we have no one else to back up the PF spot.

He averages 3.8 FG attempts per game. of course he has a high FG%. And since he has no offensive value, where is his other value on defense? Nowhere. The dropoff between Stat and Turiaf/Jeffries platoon is like the top of the Himalayas to the bottom of Death Valley. I'm sure somewhere out there for the MLE, there's someone a little higher than Death Valley.