The Official Welcome Tyson Chandler Thread

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If it means anything, it's being reported that IF the Knick stars agree to restructure their contracts (new CBA) we can still afford CP3 in free agency nex year.

Yes I was reading that somewhere. That would be unfathomably awesome.

We will see how greedy Melo and Amare actually are lol.

Thanks for the ray of hope Red.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree with tiger. if the reports are true as surfacing that Chandler will sign today, then we have the best frontcourt in all of recent memory. Melo and Stat are great help defenders, and Tyson is an exquisite defender and could make a run for D.o.Y. add davis to the point or even Arroyo or Bibby and we could make a serious run at this title NOW

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Last years NBA championship front court

Chandler
Nowitzki
Marion

This years Knick front court

Chandler
Amare
Melo

I'll put the Knicks front court right up there with last years Mav's front court. Bring in Baron Davis for the vet's min to pass the rock and we can go deep into the playoffs this year.

I think the Knicks front court is better slightly.

Re: Baron.. If the Knicks get him MDA needs to be very careful about managing his minutes. I don't want him hobbled come playoff time because we played an 8 man rotation all season.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Carmelo- MVP. All NBA 1st Team, Scoring Title
Chandler- DPOY, All Defense 1st Team
Shumpert- All Defense 2nd Team, All Rookie 1st Team, 3rd in steals
Stoudemire- All NBA 2nd Team, 24 and 11

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I think the Knicks front court is better slightly.

Re: Baron.. If the Knicks get him MDA needs to be very careful about managing his minutes. I don't want him hobbled come playoff time because we played an 8 man rotation all season.

thats the beauty although our bench is young its solid. Douglas is a great spark off the bench if fields is a bench player he adds starting experience and an offseason of improvement. Add shumpert and (maybe) Kurt Thomas we could have a great second unit.

Red

TYPE-A
Yes I was reading that somewhere. That would be unfathomably awesome.

We will see how greedy Melo and Amare actually are lol.

Thanks for the ray of hope Red.

Well its not necessarily a greed issue since they can't reduce the contracts that much, just over a longer span.

Getting a quality PG should be easy now IF the notion of everyone will want to play for us on the cheap holds true.

And your thoughts on IF MIA signs Billups?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
They're way above the cap, it would be a miracle if Billups is still available when it comes to their turn to sign amnestied guys...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i hear billups may just retire. i respect him he's a true class act but this moved vastly improved us.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
if he's signing straight up, which is the impression im getting from this thread, that means chauncey was amnestied or traded, no?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Well its not necessarily a greed issue since they can't reduce the contracts that much, just over a longer span.

Getting a quality PG should be easy now IF the notion of everyone will want to play for us on the cheap holds true.

And your thoughts on IF MIA signs Billups?

But couldn't they reduce their salaries up to 40% if I'm understanding the new CBA correctly? Seems like Amare and Melo would have much to consider.

If Miami somehow is able to sign Billups they'd be scary. He's just the type of PG they need.

There's really no other way to look at the implications that move would have.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer

This would all happen in bizzaro world.

Haha, like your enthusiasm brother, but let's stay realistic:

Melo: All NBA Second Team, 3rd in scoring
Ty-Chandler: All Defense First Team, top 3 in the DPOY voting
STAT: All NBA Third Team, 20 and 8
Shumpert: Solid rookie season and developing into our defensive stopper in the backcourt.
Douglas: (Depending on our record) might have a legit shot at 6th man of the year.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
call me crazy but i think melo will make a run for MVP depending on our record but ultimately Durant takes it. Chandler will receive lots of votes for changing the complexion of our defense and almost single handily turning us to a top 10-12 defensive unit.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It's official:

Chandler opted to sign with the Knicks after being heavily courted by the Golden State Warriors and Houston Rockets among other teams.

?It just really happened over the last, like, 48 hours,? Chandler said. ?I just think the future of the team, being able to play alongside Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and the young talent that we have, I feel like puts us in contention over the next four or five years.?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
@TysonChandler to the Knicks. Looks like they are going to have the best frontline in the @NBA. Knick fans are getting closer to that champ.
about 1 hour ago via WhoSayReplyRetweetFavorite
@MagicJohnson
Earvin Magic Johnson

Magic speaks the truth!

p0nder

Starter
I think this is what a LOT of posters here have been shouting about for ages. Interior defender to pair with STAT inside and cover for defensive lapse's at the rim, someone who can bang with the bigs and stop the drives in the lane. On Offense at least he can make a shot/dunk in the low post and we don't have to worry about a turnover (ala. Jefferies.)

Was it worth it to give up cap space for a shot at D12 or CP3? I'd say yes, because of the uncertainty. I'd say that this deal was plan B if we couldn't get CP3 and when the trade to the lakers was apparent, they pulled the trigger.

I think we over paid for a his performance in the playoffs last year. He's a 10 -12 mill player a year, similar to Nene and the cap hit hurts us in our chances of getting a quality PG. Of course the value of a Big Man in the NBA right now is sky rocketing so perhaps we'll end up looking pretty suave for picking him up. Especially if we can somehow loophole CP3 here or get a vet PG (Nash?) here on a minimum contract to chase a title.

Overall I think it was a sound basketball move. This wasn't to sell jerseys or put people in the seats, this was to increase our W's and ability to compete with the best teams in the league. Honestly with Tyson at the 5 and a competent PG (shump develops?, some FA PG?) I feel like we would beat the heat or the mavs or the bulls in a 7 game series.