We're gonna find a guard real soon to run D'Antoni's offense, Sessions/Maynor/Dragic/Augustine lots of guys we can get before the deadline but you gotta be crazy to have a shot at the 2nd best Center in the League to pair with a top 3 SF and top 3 PF.Hey man! Thanks alot for the intel. A quick google search on Nivins just says that he was a PF & star in the Atlantic-12 league (St Joseph). Drafted in 2009. I sort of recall St Jo making a run in the NCAAs that year? Dude is 6"9' & 245. Probably nothing here though.
Anyway, I moved to DAL 6 years ago. I was able to witness firsthand the impact Tyson Chandler had here on the Mavs (a team ousted in the 1st round like 3 years in a row, right). We all saw what he did in the Finals against the heat.
1) NO WAY I would have given this guy 80-100 million, as was the talk about what it might take to retain him (thinking somebody might overpay). I thought getting TC in the 30-50 range made TOTAL SENSE. If you had to go up to 50-70 range, well it better be closer to 60 for me to stomach it. Knicks did just that. 58 mil right? Sure, cheaper would have been wiser, but we didn't blow up the vault. Paying 3 mil for a year than necessary is worth it.
2) The dude will not relent. He's not Curry. He loves BBALL. Loves to compete. Is a leader. Very competitive. He was on the Olympic team (so D'anotnin knows him. He's not content to have a ring & lots of cash... He wants multiple rings.
3) He's the 2nd best C in NBA. If you cannot get Dwight Howard, then he's the next best thing. With Amar'e & Carmelo, TC is an absolute must have. A clog in the lane, interior presence, man of the paint. Block shots, rebound, gets 10 points a night without needing the ball. Runs the floor. This allows Amar'e to guard PF, not C. This saves STAT. Amar'e was at his best when he played PF for us.
4) Would it have been better not to pick up CB's option and make a run at Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan? Or wait until next year & hope RFA Javon Mcgee lands in our laps? Perhaps. But no certainty there. We know we have our C now. All we have left is rounding out the roster (PG, sniper, 6th man, bench).
5) I like Billups. We saw in Game 1 vs BOS how crucial he was, & how important it is to have the ball in the PGs hands... letting that guy determine who gets the ball (Stat or 'Melo). Billups for 66 games & playoffs would have been fine. Or, he could have got hurt again. Sure, TC is a health risk. But he's younger, in his prime, and we control him for what? 4 years. Billups is on his last legs.
6) Billups & Jeffries/Turiaf doesn't beat the Heat. Chandler & Douglas/Bibby might not do it either, but it's certainly better than the former option. You need BIGS to beat MIA.