D'Antoni: Knicks offense will run through Melo

smokes

Huge Member
The Knicks had to lose Chauncey Billups to acquire Tyson Chandler, but Mike D'Antoni feels comfortable moving forward without a proven point guard.

D'Antoni says that Toney Douglas is capable of running the point guard position and that the offense will run through Carmelo Anthony as the Celtics did with Larry Bird.

"We got a lot better real quick," said D'Antoni of the Chandler acquisiton.

Hmm not sure what MDA is thinking making comparisons between Melo and Bird lol unless CP3 been coaching Melo over the summer I think he's dreaming...

CA7

Scoring Champ
Hmm not sure what MDA is thinking making comparisons between Melo and Bird lol unless CP3 been coaching Melo over the summer I think he's dreaming...

You forget we ran the O through Melo he dominated

iSaYughh

Starter
Offense Through Melo with:
Anthony
Williams
Jeffries
Carter
Walker

Offense Through Melo with:
Anthony
Stoudemire
Chandler
Fields
Douglas

Big ****in difference

QFT

Melo is an able passer. With MDA type ball movement, the assists of Melo may reach Paul Pierce+ type figures this season; if we bring in any guard with actual PG skills, too, that man + Melo could get the job done.

I'm also guessing that MDA is figuring out a way to maximize Amare's effectiveness, and utilizing Melo in this way may actually help Amare's game, too in the ned.

I wouldn't say Melo's passes are as nimble and nifty as, eg Gallo's were, but I can't wait to watch this go down. :gony:

CA7

Scoring Champ
QFT

Melo is an able passer. With MDA type ball movement, the assists of Melo may reach Paul Pierce+ type figures this season; if we bring in any guard with actual PG skills, too, that man + Melo could get the job done.

I'm also guessing that MDA is figuring out a way to maximize Amare's effectiveness, and utilizing Melo in this way may actually help Amare's game, too in the ned.

I wouldn't say Melo's passes are as nimble and nifty as, eg Gallo's were, but I can't wait to watch this go down. :gony:

Not to be a homer but Melo is a great passer he's strong so his passes have zip, he makes quick reads and keeps defenders honest because he can score, I expect to see some STAT n Melo PnR

smokes

Huge Member
Not to be a homer but Melo is a great passer he's strong so his passes have zip, he makes quick reads and keeps defenders honest because he can score, I expect to see some STAT n Melo PnR

I don't disagree he is a great passer but based upon last season and his career as a whole offense has not run through him. I do remember one game he had 8 or 9 assists and I was thinking they should play through him like that more often but a lot of the time the ball just stops with him.

If he can change that then great but 7 years of bad habits don't disappear in 1 offseason.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I don't disagree he is a great passer but based upon last season and his career as a whole offense has not run through him. I do remember one game he had 8 or 9 assists and I was thinking they should play through him like that more often but a lot of the time the ball just stops with him.

If he can change that then great but 7 years of bad habits don't disappear in 1 offseason.

Melo has a chip on his shoulder to prove he's elite all around guy I see a much more mature hungry Melo and he looks in great shape from the photos I've seen

iSaYughh

Starter

^^

That's my reservation in calling Melo a "great" passer. Idk for sure if he has the chops to have an offense legit run through him like that.

He definitely can make very strong passes, though, with quick, competent decisions. Def true.

IMHO, I just have never seen the touch or creativity in passing ability that you've seen in certain NBA forwards who have had offenses run through them as point forwards at some time in their careers.

Not to say Melo *can't* develop his passing game more, though. When MDA first said Melo could be averaging tripple doubles here, right after he signed and MDA had seen him up close and personal, it wouldn't surprise me. :peace:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im liking the idea, melo has shown good skills as a facilitator when he needed to be and with this team as formed he could be. sure we can get a respectable C but the focus of the offense is running through Melo and stat, and dont forget MDA is a great offensive genius he could make a system work with the guys we got so dont be worried about that end

Kiyaman

Legend
Another funny Thread..oil/water = Billups/Dantoni

The Knicks future will be thrown out the window when they release Chauncy
Billups to amnesty.

The Knicks moved 3 steps foward lastseason to only go 5 steps backwards
at the start of the 2011-12 season by waiving Billups to amnesty.
Just when I thought Billups accept being a Knicks during the offseason to give
this decade misguided Knicks franchise some REAL leadership on/off the court
in a short 66 game season....Dolan & parties give Billups the boot.

What do Melo know about the Eastern Conference? hint, the same as Dantoni....
first round knockout.

Melo is going to lead the Knicks in Defense & offense ha-ha...if this is the
same Melo I watch in Syracuse & Denver the only thing Melo will lead the

Knicks in is scoring and shot attempts.
that charge, I'll take that stance. ... At the end of the day, we​

will be a great defensive team.” quote Melo​

Toney Douglas need a year or two of Billups guidance to controll​

the super-Big ego Melo & Amare. Shump will have to make the​

jump into the NBA without any leadership in the backcourt....who​

team is the Knicks? Melo vs Amare vs Dantoni = misguided!!!​

CA7

Scoring Champ
The Knicks future will be thrown out the window when they release Chauncy
Billups to amnesty.

The Knicks moved 3 steps foward lastseason to only go 5 steps backwards
at the start of the 2011-12 season by waiving Billups to amnesty.
Just when I thought Billups accept being a Knicks during the offseason to give
this decade misguided Knicks franchise some REAL leadership on/off the court
in a short 66 game season....Dolan & parties give Billups the boot.

What do Melo know about the Eastern Conference? hint, the same as Dantoni....
first round knockout.

Melo is going to lead the Knicks in Defense & offense ha-ha...if this is the
same Melo I watch in Syracuse & Denver the only thing Melo will lead the

Knicks in is scoring and shot attempts.
that charge, I'll take that stance. ... At the end of the day, we​

will be a great defensive team.? quote Melo​

Toney Douglas need a year or two of Billups guidance to controll​

the super-Big ego Melo & Amare. Shump will have to make the​

jump into the NBA without any leadership in the backcourt....who​

team is the Knicks? Melo vs Amare vs Dantoni = misguided!!!​

You sir are an idiot

We got the best Frontocurt in the NBA(Anthony-Chandler-Stoudemire) and we can now focus on our backcourt but even if we dont Douglas-Fields-Shumpert are gonna be phenomenal defensively and will fill in their roles on offense perfectly. Hopefull we bring over Jerome Jordan as our back up C and re-sign Shawne Williams we are better defensive team than we were last year and just as good offensively maybe better since we have a Center who can finish. Plus our staff is better with an Offensive guy in D'Antoni and a Defensive guy in Woodson

The Knicks are back...........you better be happy

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Knicks make major moves, bring CP3 and D12 over, bring Wilson Chandler back, and start Paul, Chandler, Anthony, Stoudemire and Howard... Kiyaman flips out on how bad we are and are totally screwed because we can't do anything without Mozgov and Mardy Collins...

I agree completely with MDA on this one. Being able to play point foward is the difference between Melo and Lebron/Kobe. I think I made a thread a while back, never really thought it could come true.

moneyg

Starter
i think this just points out that O'antoni is realizing that his offensive schemes are not that great and we will never win with it. i can guarantee if we didnt have mike woodson coaching defense now. we might have never gone after chandler so agressively. i think O'antoni days are numbered, epecially if phil jackson states hed plan to coach again. in that case you dont need a true pg in the triangle offense.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer

to the first bolded part, I've wanted a small forward like that for years.

to the 2nd part, that's my fear. I dont kno if Melo is mature enuff to take that big step and re-vamp his game. He's a bit like Paul Pierce (but a better rebounder). Pierce wasn't a strong defender or good passer until KG and Allen showed up and it was "listen to Doc or bust", you kno? Melo has the ability to be the catalyst/lynchpin/engine/insert-sports-cliche-here to a great team, but he alone has to take that step and make it happen. He shot 47% inside the 2 pt line, HORRIBLE. Lebron and Durant? Over 50%, LeBron at 55!! Gotta do better than that.....

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
I think Melo has it in him and its the only thing ( on the offensive end) holding him back from being recognized as top 3 in the league. Kobe said he sees Melo as taking over when he's done and I see it too. Melo has all the skill set and potential plus running the point foward will make phil jackson jump out his retirement couch!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I think Melo has it in him and its the only thing ( on the offensive end) holding him back from being recognized as top 3 in the league. Kobe said he sees Melo as taking over when he's done and I see it too. Melo has all the skill set and potential plus running the point foward will make phil jackson jump out his retirement couch!

Spot on Fella

Paul1355

All Star

its a good move, the only choice since TD isnt a facilitator.

Melo can pass the ball and Douglas can camp outside, we should be good