Knicks looking into Mike Bibby

CA7

Scoring Champ
Look, I love this board, read a ton, post occasionally, rarely bother pointing out flaws or arguing because I just enjoy reading every opinion and while I think some posts are stupid, it's not worth arguing, we all like same team. This all said, I may be wrong here, but while I don't want Bibby at all personally, hate the dude and thought he was overrated in his prime, and is now well out of his prime, I can deal with people thinking its a good minimum signing, not alot we can do as far as signings at this point. But in any event, someone just said if he takes just the minimum and we can spend the other 2.5 on someone else then sure... the other 2.5 what? Maybe amnesty billups, trade turiaf for nothing, and sign and trade balkman for chandler opens up enough, but my understanding before the "low salary player of our choice to dallas" thing came up was that we were making just enough cap room to get chandler by effectively dumping billups and turiaf, and with using the amnesty we are SOL on the MLE this year, so we can only sign minimums... please tell me I am missing something, I'll be glad to be mistaken, but was under impression we could only pick up mins at this point

See the misconception is that the MLE is only for teams over the cap its actually also for a team thats makes a signing that takes the over the cap but as you know it can only be used once per year, so after we sign and trade for Chandler, add in Jeffries, Shumpert, Harrelson and I pray Jordan we then have our MLE because 1 we'll be signing guys we have rights too last, signing and trading for a guy thus taking us over the cap similar to how Miami signed James and Bosh 1st then went after Wade, Haslem and Anthony thus using the MLE on Miller even though they started out the season with 48mil in cap room.

So we do have the MLE we just gotta find a guy worth it, I'm looking for us picking Rip Hamilton and Carlos Arroyo and rolling with Shumpert and Hamilton starting and Fields, Douglas and Arroyo coming off the bench or getting Baron Davis for the minimum and using the MLE on Jason Richardson and going with them 2 starting and Shumpert/Fields/Douglas bringing defensive energy off the bench

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Nah not talking dollars, my understanding is if you use the "1 time amnesty clause" you are not eligible to us the MLE that year also

smokes

Huge Member
See the misconception is that the MLE is only for teams over the cap its actually also for a team thats makes a signing that takes the over the cap but as you know it can only be used once per year, so after we sign and trade for Chandler, add in Jeffries, Shumpert, Harrelson and I pray Jordan we then have our MLE because 1 we'll be signing guys we have rights too last, signing and trading for a guy thus taking us over the cap similar to how Miami signed James and Bosh 1st then went after Wade, Haslem and Anthony thus using the MLE on Miller even though they started out the season with 48mil in cap room.

So we do have the MLE we just gotta find a guy worth it, I'm looking for us picking Rip Hamilton and Carlos Arroyo and rolling with Shumpert and Hamilton starting and Fields, Douglas and Arroyo coming off the bench or getting Baron Davis for the minimum and using the MLE on Jason Richardson and going with them 2 starting and Shumpert/Fields/Douglas bringing defensive energy off the bench

Sorry mate but you are wrong. There is no such thing as "a signing that takes you over the cap". A signing can only take you up to the cap, that's the whole reason it's called a "cap".

A trade however, can take you over the cap. And yes, if we get Chandler via trade we will have the MLE. If we sign him ourselves we will have the mini-MLE.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Sorry mate but you are wrong. There is no such thing as "a signing that takes you over the cap". A signing can only take you up to the cap, that's the whole reason it's called a "cap".

A trade however, can take you over the cap. And yes, if we get Chandler via trade we will have the MLE. If we sign him ourselves we will have the mini-MLE.

Dude, when we finally get Chandler, we are then gonna sign Jeffries, Shumpert and Harrelson and possibly Jordan and Williams that takes us over the cap because we are signing our own guys. The same way Miami did it we can do it

This is from wikipedia

Mid-level exception
Once a year, teams are allowed to sign a player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008?09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[2] The MLE is $5.854 million for the 2009?10 NBA regular season.[3]

See the bold

smokes

Huge Member
Dude, when we finally get Chandler, we are then gonna sign Jeffries, Shumpert and Harrelson and possibly Jordan and Williams that takes us over the cap because we are signing our own guys. The same way Miami did it we can do it

This is from wikipedia

Mid-level exception
Once a year, teams are allowed to sign a player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008?09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[2] The MLE is $5.854 million for the 2009?10 NBA regular season.[3]

See the bold

I see what you were saying for some reason I thought you were talking about the Chandler signing taking us over the cap. Regardless after amnestying Billups we have the mini MLE not the full MLE. Apparently.

Please not Bibby, this guy is so much past it - it's not even funny!

Let's just wait until someone good gets amnestied and pick him up!

I'd even prefer Iverson over Bibby, despite not playing in the league for 2 years!

Mike Bibby? I thought you guys wanted defense? Bibby doesn't play defense at all, have you seen him play defense when he was with the Miami or ATL? Me neither.

moneyg

Starter
Mike Bibby? I thought you guys wanted defense? Bibby doesn't play defense at all, have you seen him play defense when he was with the Miami or ATL? Me neither.

i think this is an attempt by the knicks to not come up empy handed. i think the goal would be to use bibby as a backup to baron davis... but baron may not clear waivers and we could be left with a huge hole. im ok with bibby playing 8 minutes a game when the oposing pg is not that quick.. but he can not be our starter.. rather it be td.

there isnt much out there and all these pgs left have more cons than pros....

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
i think this is an attempt by the knicks to not come up empy handed. i think the goal would be to use bibby as a backup to baron davis... but baron may not clear waivers and we could be left with a huge hole. im ok with bibby playing 8 minutes a game when the oposing pg is not that quick.. but he can not be our starter.. rather it be td.

there isnt much out there and all these pgs left have more cons than pros....
Anthony Carter was better than Bibby last season. Why not have him start/have him off the bench?

moneyg

Starter
Anthony Carter was better than Bibby last season. Why not have him start/have him off the bench?

i would like to bring carter back and im not saying they wont. but i think we are in searching mode. why not bring in 4 pgs.. carter.. bibby...davis...maybe even delonte west and just go with what works.. they guys are getting one year deals for the vet min so they can always get cut...