We DO NOT have the FULL MLE

LJ4ptplay

Starter
By amnestying Billups and going under the cap, we forfeit the full MLE. We will have the half-MLE available to us ($2.5 mil) which is reserved for teams under the cap.

If we had not amnestied Billups and just signed and traded for Chandler, we would have remained over the cap and would have retained the MLE and our 1 and only amnesty.

Just wanted to clarify this since so many people keep posting about using the full MLE.

Side note: Typical Knicks get worked over in a trade. The only reason we are amnestying Billups + s&t for Chandler is so Dallas can receive a Traded Player Exception. Dallas gets something for nothing and we get shafted. SMH.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Thanks, LJ.

It is the downside of our newly acquired, desperately needed center. I can't deny that I am still happy with the circumstances. Very happy.

Is Billups' amnesty a dead cert? That's a big loss for a team paying in excess of $55M for 3 players when the new tax system kicks in.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Crazy⑧s;188914 said:
Thanks, LJ.

It is the downside of our newly acquired, desperately needed center. I can't deny that I am still happy with the circumstances. Very happy.

Is Billups' amnesty a dead cert? That's a big loss for a team paying in excess of $55M for 3 players when the new tax system kicks in.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy we got Chandler too. He is the perfect compliment to Amare and Melo. It's just a massive gamble since we used our only amnesty on an expiring contract and it's only a one time deal. No more. We're stuck with what we have for the next 4 years. And considering how injury prone Chandler and Amare are, well, crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong. Like I said, a huge gamble.

Having the MLE would have been nice too. We still have many holes to fill.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Don't get me wrong, I am happy we got Chandler too. He is the perfect compliment to Amare and Melo. It's just a massive gamble since we used our only amnesty on an expiring contract and it's only a one time deal. No more. We're stuck with what we have for the next 4 years. And considering how injury prone Chandler and Amare are, well, crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong. Like I said, a huge gamble.

Having the MLE would have been nice too. We still have many holes to fill.

It is indeed a gamble. And, once again, it's a great player at the cost of poor circumstance. Circumstance, at least, that could have been better for insurance's sake.

We have one of the best 5-4-3 combos in NBA history though; second to none in the league presently. With Billups' forced out, our back-court is second to many. They have yet to be determined as a sub-par backcourt, and there's potential there to break away from presumption.

Bitter-sweet again, but the sweet outweighs the bitter until a major injury rears it's ugly head.

We can't say that we didn't pursue what we needed to take on the East's elite in forming Cerberus. Best front-court since Parish, McHale, Bird.

KBlack25

Starter
I know it's a gamble but for all the talk about how desperately we needed a big-time center, and we now have one that can be effective without the ball in his hands, I am shocked at how many are slamming the move.

The NBA rejecting the Paul deal sort of screwed us up - but the new Knicks brass saw a deal for CP3 going down and made the move quickly to fill our biggest need. That's a good sign moving forward.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
By amnestying Billups and going under the cap, we forfeit the full MLE. We will have the half-MLE available to us ($2.5 mil) which is reserved for teams under the cap.

If we had not amnestied Billups and just signed and traded for Chandler, we would have remained over the cap and would have retained the MLE and our 1 and only amnesty.

Just wanted to clarify this since so many people keep posting about using the full MLE.

Side note: Typical Knicks get worked over in a trade. The only reason we are amnestying Billups + s&t for Chandler is so Dallas can receive a Traded Player Exception. Dallas gets something for nothing and we get shafted. SMH.

you say we're getting worked over. Are you aware that a trade deal needs TWO entities to agree to it? We can't "trade Billups" without another team WANTING to take him. We had no choice, we needed size, so we amnestied him. Dallas didn't want Billups, wut are we supposed to do? Keep Billups, not get Chandler, stay small in the paint and keep giving up easy baskets? Please.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Do people realize it was REQUIRED to move both Billups and Turiaf to get Chandler? So the only 2 options were to trade both of them OR to amnesty Billups and trade Turiaf? Trades require another team to AGREE with you.....there was no way we could get Chandler and keep Billups, give it up.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
you say we're getting worked over. Are you aware that a trade deal needs TWO entities to agree to it? We can't "trade Billups" without another team WANTING to take him. We had no choice, we needed size, so we amnestied him. Dallas didn't want Billups, wut are we supposed to do? Keep Billups, not get Chandler, stay small in the paint and keep giving up easy baskets? Please.

Relax CuseGirl. I like that we got Chandler but we didn't have to sign-and-trade with Dallas, giving them a Traded Player Exception. We were able to free up the cap space alone by amnestying Billups and trading Turiaf, and yet we still give them everything they want. Plus we give them Rautins too!!!! WTF!! Yes, that is getting worked, in my opinion. If they say they don't want Billups, then we say fine, you get nothing in return for losing Chandler and just sign him outright. There was no need to do them any favors because they certainly didn't do any for us.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Do people realize it was REQUIRED to move both Billups and Turiaf to get Chandler? So the only 2 options were to trade both of them OR to amnesty Billups and trade Turiaf? Trades require another team to AGREE with you.....there was no way we could get Chandler and keep Billups, give it up.

Who said anything about keeping Billups and getting Chandler?

Read before react.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
We did GREAT with this pick-up. However, we did put ourselves into poor circumstances. There was no reason to pick up Chauncey Billup's option last year -- and I was quite upset when we did.

However, we had CP3 googily eyes and let our dream of picking up another superstar, when we had no trade assets, get the best of reality.

We lost our amnesty on pure ignorance.... That being said, we did the right thing in this situation.

TC is a 10/10 guy and one of the best defenders in the league. He makes up for the every deficit we have (to the best extent possible) and doesn't sacrifice our athleticism to do it.

Besides Howard he was the best player we could have gotten.

Last edited:

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
We did GREAT with this pick-up. However, we did put ourselves into poor circumstances. There was no reason to pick up Chauncey Billup's option last year -- and I was quite upset when we did.

However, we had CP3 googily eyes and let our dream of picking up another superstar, when we had no trade assets, get the best of reality.

We lost our amnesty on pure ignorance.... That being said, we did the right thing in this situation.

TC is a 10/10 guy and one of the best defenders in the league. He makes up for the every deficit we have (to the best extent possible) and doesn't sacrifice our athleticism to do it.

Besides, Howard, he was the best player we could have gotten.

do not kno wut they were thinking there......

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
When we pickup up Billups' option Walsh ruled, shor thereafter Grunwald took over the throne and his vision of the Knicks seems to be way different, he hired Woodson and now signed Chandler, he wants us to play D.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

The only way to get the Wizards to take Turiaf was to work out a 3 team trade. Had we been able to just dump Turiaf we could have just signed Chandler without losing Rautins or a 2nd rounder. Unfortunately the Wizards required some 2nd rounders to take his contract forcing us to work with Dallas to get the deal done.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
do not kno wut they were thinking there......

While in retrospect it was a mistake because we lost our 1 amnesty option at the time I'm sure the thinking involved using Billups large expiring near the trade deadline to nab CP3, D12 or D. will. As the off season unfolded that appeared not to be an option so they used the assets at their disposal to get Tyson.

P.S. At the time we picked up Billups option there wasn't a new CBA nor an amnesty clause so I can't really fault Walsh.