Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else confident in Toney Douglas as our PG?

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    with Chandler waiting for Rondo I dont think Rondo will be blowing past TD that often.
    He rarely blew past TD. TD was playing 5+ feet off Rondo the entire game (especially game 4 of the playoffs) even when he was 5 feet from the basket. How the f*ck are you playing defense under the basket and expect to stop a professional?

I still think Rondo is grossly overrated!!

From what i remember Rondo sonned the sh*t outta Douglas but i didnt know that Douglas was playing with a bad shoulder. Jeffries played way better defense on Rondo then Douglas did, but again...the shoulder injury

Originally Posted by shaolin

I still think Rondo is grossly overrated!!
    of course he is, I hope this isn't news! Put him on any other team where he can't pad his assists with the players around him, and can't shoot anyway, then he's just a middle/below the pack player.

I like TD coming off the bench, but I don't see him being that field general the way felton was or even chauncey was. I know people are against it, but I wouldn't mind bringing in a mike bibby or even a carlos arroyo at this point.

Veteran

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    From what i remember Rondo sonned the sh*t outta Douglas but i didnt know that Douglas was playing with a bad shoulder. Jeffries played way better defense on Rondo then Douglas did, but again...the shoulder injury
    Word. Dildo made minced meat out of our boy Douglas, but a bad shoulder...playoff nerves...and the lack of total team cohesion we had at that pt explains it, in my opinion.

Douglas could be fine at the 1, *if* Melo is able to be turned into more of a point forward; remember, Douglas was actually being hyped as an *advantage* to the team, when we were considering adding Lebron as our 3...

Ideally, we can sign Barea or get Sessions, perhaps -- I would feel comfortable with a tandem of Douglas and one of those two.

Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    TD can be an excellent defender, but takes unnecessary risks. He has an excellent shot, and I think is savvy enough to learn how to dictate the pace of the game, with some experience. Last year was only his second in the league.

All we need him to do is keep his turn overs low, and give us 8 pts and 6 assists a game.
    Sums it up nicely. It's just his decision making sometimes he gets caught with the ball and the few times I saw him play point he seemed to always be looking for a score for him or someone else not really getting the concept of just moving the ball.

Considering it appears we are going to be playing a lot of the offense through Melo whoever our PG is not a massive deal as long as they can take care of the ball, throw accurate passes, find the open man when needed and knock down jumpshots that's it. Being a good defender is a plus. Toney D got all that covered.

I think our main concern now should be SG not PG. We need a full backcourt.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Word. Dildo made minced meat out of our boy Douglas, but a bad shoulder...playoff nerves...and the lack of total team cohesion we had at that pt explains it, in my opinion.

Douglas could be fine at the 1, *if* Melo is able to be turned into more of a point forward; remember, Douglas was actually being hyped as an *advantage* to the team, when we were considering adding Lebron as our 3...

Ideally, we can sign Barea or get Sessions, perhaps -- I would feel comfortable with a tandem of Douglas and one of those two.
    Agree completely, i think Melo is the biggest key to our success. Talent wise, hes the best all around in my opinion. I have no doubt that he has the ability to be a great point forward, he just has to look to pass a little more

I can't completely say that we'll be ok guarding Rondo when we play Boston, but it could definitely work with douglas being healthier and with Tyson Chandler on the team

Veteran

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Agree completely, i think Melo is the biggest key to our success. Talent wise, hes the best all around in my opinion. I have no doubt that he has the ability to be a great point forward, he just has to look to pass a little more

I can't completely say that we'll be ok guarding Rondo when we play Boston, but it could definitely work with douglas being healthier and with Tyson Chandler on the team
    Word. Part of the prob with Douglas getting owned so hard, was after Rondo blew (really, strolled ) by him, Amare and everyone else we trotted out as our front court just let him finish the penetration by the rim at will.

Tyson, as you mentioned, will not allow this to happen like it did.

IMHO...we will get Barea for Douglas, because the Knicks see Barea as more of a potentially real 1 to pair up with Bibby; and they are set on Shumpert and Fields being the tandem at our 2.

Word. Part of the prob with Douglas getting owned so hard, was after Rondo blew (really, strolled ) by him, Amare and everyone else we trotted out as our front court just let him finish the penetration by the rim at will.

Tyson, as you mentioned, will not allow this to happen like it did.

IMHO...we will get Barea for Douglas, because the Knicks see Barea as more of a potentially real 1 to pair up with Bibby; and they are set on Shumpert and Fields being the tandem at our 2.
    This is what I don't get. I always thought of Shumpert as a PG. Though I haven't read all too much about him.

That plus the fact we still have some room to sign a better player that will hopefully be a SG.

Seriously we need some solidity in our backcourt and Fields/unproven rookie Shumpert cannot be relied upon. We need a Rip, JRich, etc.

Originally Posted by smokes
    This is what I don't get. I always thought of Shumpert as a PG. Though I haven't read all too much about him.

That plus the fact we still have some room to sign a better player that will hopefully be a SG.

Seriously we need some solidity in our backcourt and Fields/unproven rookie Shumpert cannot be relied upon. We need a Rip, JRich, etc.
    unless you want to trade TD or Fields, that is not an option, we might have to rely on these guys if we can't get Davis off waivers for cheap

Veteran

Originally Posted by smokes

That's a great point. Our potential ability to get a vet, true SG like Jrich, Rip....

In which case keeping Douglas, who has been with us his whole career, and has years under his belt with MDA, does make a lot of sense.

Tough one. Like you, I honestly don't know much about Shumpert, and what the Knicks truly view him as being.

unless you want to trade TD or Fields, that is not an option, we might have to rely on these guys if we can't get Davis off waivers for cheap
    It is an option, we have the mini MLE of 2.5 million to offer some of these guys. A player like Michael Redd could be viable after coming off the kind of injuries he's had he would be getting no more than that I'm sure. Would be risky though.

Yes it's unlikely anyone such as Rip or Jrich etc would come here but there is a chance.

That's a great point. Our potential ability to get a vet, true SG like Jrich, Rip....

In which case keeping Douglas, who has been with us his whole career, and has years under his belt with MDA, does make a lot of sense.

Tough one. Like you, I honestly don't know much about Shumpert, and what the Knicks truly view him as being.
    BUlls will offer more for Rip Hamilton, our choices are Carter and J Rich, both willl get more than we can afford.

Im pretty sure we dont have the MLE but we do have the mini mid level which is what we offered Grant Hill at 2.5 mil.....Hamilton, J Rich and Vince Carter will sign for higher

Veteran

BUlls will offer more for Rip Hamilton, our choices are Carter and J Rich, both willl get more than we can afford.

Im pretty sure we dont have the MLE but we do have the mini mid level which is what we offered Grant Hill at 2.5 mil.....Hamilton, J Rich and Vince Carter will sign for higher
    Yep. You're right -- we just have the 2.M milly to offer.

I see J Rich def commanding a lot more. Hamilton, though....idk...The Bulls prolly will overpay for a SG.

Let's hope it's JRich, since he's arguably the best of those three anyways. And maybe Hamilton can fall to us for the 2.5.

If reports are true that we get Barea, and lose Douglas, it may be more important to get Hamilton, and then potentially make Fields a 6th man who swings between the 2 and 3.

If he can stay healthy I do think Douglas can be a legit starter with this front court

not really cuz TD is not a good point guard, i heard we got bibby now so thats a good thing (y)