Mike Bibby To Sign with Knicks

KingCharles34

All Star
Mike Bibby To Sign with Knicks; Still looking to add Barea

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217327/Bibby_To_Sign_With_Knicks

Mike Bibby will sign a one-year deal with the Knicks.

Bibby signed with the Heat toward the end of the 10-11 season after agreeing to a buyout with the Wizards.

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI
Knicks don't have the money to sign Barea outright but, according to a source, are working on different scenarios to land him

Welcome aboard Mike Bibby

B82647229Z.1_20110304010920_000+GG82C2U8Q.1-0.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

Bibby is 33 years old, the important thing to remember with him is to not pay attention to what happened in Miami. That was the most scrutinized team in the history of sports, Bibby is still a really good 3 point shooter and I have no problem with im gettin 20 minutes off the bench. Hes not a very good defender but he knows how to play team defense.

*EDIT*

Anthony Carter has agreed to a deal with the Raptors

Knicks looking to trade Douglas for Barea?

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
They're also reporting we are going after Barea.

Lol Davis rumours die? It's not like Bibby is a starting calibre PG. He will get max 20mpg and mentor our young PGs and that's what he's good for. I doubt he'll be our starter and I think we will still look for someone to start.

KingCharles34

All Star
Knicks fans will like this. Billups recently chose to switch his demeanor and is now considered one of the most disliked, uncoachable players in the league. Getting rid of a cancer like Billups and bringing in a guy like Bibby will really impress the fans

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Knicks are in talks with JJ Barea right now.
Reports are its turning into a sign & trade with Dallas again; involving Douglas

smokes

Huge Member
Knicks fans will like this. Billups recently chose to switch his demeanor and is now considered one of the most disliked, uncoachable players in the league. Getting rid of a cancer like Billups and bringing in a guy like Bibby will really impress the fans

Lol.. Don't know if this is ironic or?

Knicks are in talks with JJ Barea right now.
Reports are its turning into a sign & trade with Dallas again; involving Douglas

Oh god if that's true... :barf:

KingCharles34

All Star
Lol.. Don't know if this is ironic or?

Oh god if that's true... :barf:

lol yea i dont think the fans have really turned against Billups like that, i just thought it'd be a funny twist to put on the situation.

Barea vs Douglas...

Barea has proven more but for some reason i like Douglas more

smokes

Huge Member
lol yea i dont think the fans have really turned against Billups like that, i just thought it'd be a funny twist to put on the situation.

Barea vs Douglas...

Barea has proven more but for some reason i like Douglas more

He's home grown, played in this system, he has heart, hustle and energy. And most importantly defense. These are the kind of players true blue New Yorkers love to have in their Knicks team and lets face it we've traded away virtually all of our home grown players in recent years to acquire talent. That's fine but we need to draw a line somewhere and stop sending away players who have come up through the team.

Plus he has the money 3pt shot which won us a few games last year. I think it would be horrible to trade him for Barea. Getting Barea, fine, trading Douglas for him... Please no :(

iSaYughh

Starter
Good move. Makes sense. If we do indeed run the offense through Melo, as MDA seems to be formulating, floor spacers will be huge.

Bibs is a pretty deadly 3pt shooter, and he's a vet where you know what you can get out of him.

I really wanted to end up with Douglas and Barea. But if it's Barea vs Douglas to end up as our tandem with Bibby....I gotta go with Barea for us, who I could see flourishing under MDA.

Bah! Idk, I love Tony's hustle, heart, and defense....I just don't see him as a 1 in any real way, like I could Barea....

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Bibby - never really followed his career; honestly, a couple of days ago I didn't know such a player exists. I'm looking at his stats right now and it seems he's a good passer we actually need, but as I said, don't know the guy.

Barea - definately a better distributor than Toney, however, I doubt he's anything more than a twenty minutes guard.

Well, if I was Grunwald I'd still be trying to catch Davis...

Is this team honestly all that good? We have a starting lineup of

PG: Toney Douglas
SG: Landry Fields
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C: Tyson Chandler

I have nothing bad to say about Chandler, Melo, and Amare. The problem I have is with the back court of Douglas and Fields. Before I go on I want to state that I own 2 NBA jerseys, Allan Houston and Landry Fields, so I am definitely not a Fields hater. The thing with Fields is that he really slowed down as the season went on and was not all that good in the playoffs. My thinking was always that if we got a top flight PG, then Fields could be a solid starter in this league for the next ten years, like Bruce Bowen for example. Just a solid player you do not need to rely on and could count on doing their job. I also look at Toney Douglas as a Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford type. A 6th man who can come in, shoot the 3 ball well, and take over some games. I am not sure he is capable of starting every night.

Then I look at our bench and think it is considerably worse then last year, and that is saying a lot. We have the following.

Mike Bibby
Iman Shumpert
Bill Walker
Renaldo Balkman
Jared Jeffries
Josh Harrelson
Jerome Jordan

I know there is still time to add to the bench but we do not have much room to add players. Are we really going to have Walker backing up fields, Balkman backing up Melo, and Jeffries backing up Amare? Also Harrelson and Jordan are unproven and none of know what they will bring to the table. I am also not a fan of Bibby but cannot complain too much since he was brought in for one year on the veteran minimum. I like Shumpert and think he will grow into a solid player.

This is why I am not opposed to trading Douglas for Barea. He is a proven player with a championship pedigree. I just do not think this team is all that good and ready to make a run. I am nervous about the Nets if they get Nene and Howard along with Williams. Can we really compete with the Heat, Bulls, or Celtics with this depth and back court?

I would also like us to look at players like Shawne Williams, The Thrilla Przybilla, Michael Redd, and Anthony Parker.

I do not know how realistic it is but I am hoping Amare and Melo agree to restructure their contracts next year so we can add CP3 to the mix.

Paul1355

All Star
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217327/Bibby_To_Sign_With_Knicks

Welcome aboard Mike Bibby

B82647229Z.1_20110304010920_000+GG82C2U8Q.1-0.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

Bibby is 33 years old, the important thing to remember with him is to not pay attention to what happened in Miami. That was the most scrutinized team in the history of sports, Bibby is still a really good 3 point shooter and I have no problem with im gettin 20 minutes off the bench. Hes not a very good defender but he knows how to play team defense.

*EDIT*

Anthony Carter has agreed to a deal with the Raptors

Knicks looking to trade Douglas for Barea?

I dont know about trading Douglas for Barea. Douglas is a better shooter, is faster, and plays better defense. Barea has better court vision and is a better driver.

Douglas is a work horse so it would be tough to just trade him straight up for TD. I would do it if the Mavs did a sign and trade and included another player or a pick.

And the Mike Bibby move isnt bad, if he can consistently hit the outside shot....in the playoffs, then it will be worth it

smokes

Huge Member
Is this team honestly all that good? We have a starting lineup of

PG: Toney Douglas
SG: Landry Fields
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C: Tyson Chandler

^ Good post, but is our bench really that much worse than last year?

AC, Shelden Williams, Shawne Williams and Derrick Brown... Am I missing anyone?

I'd like AC just to fill out the roster. He has a good heart. Sadly he's going to Toronto (??????). We made an offer to Shawne and are waiting on his decision. I hope we re-sign him too. Shelden and Derrick are gone and neither of them did a great deal so not really bothered.

We still have our mini-MLE and some minimum contracts to hand out so don't think our bench is done yet. Hopefully the addition of Chandler shows the remaining free agents we are serious about competing NOW and they will take a better look at us.

^ Good post, but is our bench really that much worse than last year?

AC, Shelden Williams, Shawne Williams and Derrick Brown... Am I missing anyone?

I'd like AC just to fill out the roster. He has a good heart. Sadly he's going to Toronto (??????). We made an offer to Shawne and are waiting on his decision. I hope we re-sign him too. Shelden and Derrick are gone and neither of them did a great deal so not really bothered.

We still have our mini-MLE and some minimum contracts to hand out so don't think our bench is done yet. Hopefully the addition of Chandler shows the remaining free agents we are serious about competing NOW and they will take a better look at us.

I just want to clarify when I say not that good, I mean to compete for a championship. I definitely think this team is good enough to make the playoffs and win some games when they get in. The reason I say our bench is weaker is because we took our best player from it and inserted him into the starting line up. Who's is our 6th man now? Mike Bibby? Iman Shumpert? Also last year Anthony Carter game in and played great defense along with smart basketball. We were able to rotate Carter, Fields, Douglas, and Billups while not having to rely on Bill Walker to play heavy minutes. It looks like he will get a good amount this year. I also believe we will lose our second best bench player, Shawne Williams, because he has 2 year offers from at least two other teams. If we lose Williams this then puts our worst player, Renaldo Balkman into the rotation. I cannot understand how this team look at Jared Jeffries and sees a useful player. I think he is beyond awful, and unfortunately we will be seeing a lot of Jeffries and Balkman this year.

mafra

Legend
I think we signed Bibby b/c we're confident T-Douglas is fine to run the point. he's had 2 years in the offense. Is healthy. Plays excellent defense. Can hit the 3. Remember a guy like Rondo, and what happened to his game when the talent around him improved?

Let's compare Rondo to Douglas, the first 2 years of their careers:

Minutes per game
Rondo had 23:30 & 29:53
Douglas had 19:23 & 24:18

Points per game
Rondo had 6.4 & 10.6
Douglas had 8.6 & 10.6

Assists per game
Rondo had 3.8 & 5.1
Douglas had 2.0 & 3.0

Steals per game
Rondo had 1.6 & 1.7
Douglas had 0.8 & 1.1

Turnovers per game
Rondo had 1.8 & 1.9
Douglas had 1.0 & 1.1

Rebounds per game
Rondo had 3.7 & 4.2
Douglas had 1.9 & 3.0

3-point shooting pct
Rondo shot 20.7 & 26.3
Douglas shot 38.9 & 37.3

*Although Rondo shot 48 total 3s his first 2 years, while Douglas shot about 560 of them.

Their FG% & FT% were pretty much dead even.

BOTH PLAYERS improved gradually, from season to season. Douglas improved his soph season & he played the entire year with a bum shoulder.

I think it's fair to expect Douglas to continue progressing. He is healthy, added 15 pounds of muscle.

Both players play GREAT defense.

Both players are basically the same size. Rondo the longer wingspan, while Douglas an inch taller.

Both were very good players in college.

Rondo saw his career take off when the Big-3 emerged in BOS. I expect the same thing to happen with Douglas, now that he's playing with one of the best front courts in the NBA.

Rondo was the better pure PG. A much better passer, But Douglas is a much better shooter (from downtown). Both can penetrate.

The key is: Will Douglas learn to be a pass-orientated PG. Facilitate? Run the p-&-r? We shall see.

Put, brace yourself. Our Big-3 might find out sometime in the upcoming post season, that we have a nother emerging star...

Paul1355

All Star
I think we signed Bibby b/c we're confident T-Douglas is fine to run the point. he's had 2 years in the offense. Is healthy. Plays excellent defense. Can hit the 3. Remember a guy like Rondo, and what happened to his game when the talent around him improved?

Let's compare Rondo to Douglas, the first 2 years of their careers:

Minutes per game
Rondo had 23:30 & 29:53
Douglas had 19:23 & 24:18

Points per game
Rondo had 6.4 & 10.6
Douglas had 8.6 & 10.6

Assists per game
Rondo had 3.8 & 5.1
Douglas had 2.0 & 3.0

Steals per game
Rondo had 1.6 & 1.7
Douglas had 0.8 & 1.1

Turnovers per game
Rondo had 1.8 & 1.9
Douglas had 1.0 & 1.1

Rebounds per game
Rondo had 3.7 & 4.2
Douglas had 1.9 & 3.0

3-point shooting pct
Rondo shot 20.7 & 26.3
Douglas shot 38.9 & 37.3

*Although Rondo shot 48 total 3s his first 2 years, while Douglas shot about 560 of them.

Their FG% & FT% were pretty much dead even.

BOTH PLAYERS improved gradually, from season to season. Douglas improved his soph season & he played the entire year with a bum shoulder.

I think it's fair to expect Douglas to continue progressing. He is healthy, added 15 pounds of muscle.

Both players play GREAT defense.

Both players are basically the same size. Rondo the longer wingspan, while Douglas an inch taller.

Both were very good players in college.

Rondo saw his career take off when the Big-3 emerged in BOS. I expect the same thing to happen with Douglas, now that he's playing with one of the best front courts in the NBA.

Rondo was the better pure PG. A much better passer, But Douglas is a much better shooter (from downtown). Both can penetrate.

The key is: Will Douglas learn to be a pass-orientated PG. Facilitate? Run the p-&-r? We shall see.

Put, brace yourself. Our Big-3 might find out sometime in the upcoming post season, that we have a nother emerging star...

good post....douglas just has to improve finding the open man, especially on fast breaks

iSaYughh

Starter
& isn't good at attacking the basket.

Douglas reminds me of Gallo in this way. Very frustrating.

When he does attack, he's quite successful and it looks like a natural skill set.

Arguably, this is why getting Barea in liu of Tony is optimal; Barea knows what he can do and is good at, and has a burning desire to commit to it.

I honestly view Tony as a richer man's Nate Robinson at the end of the day. That isn't a bad thing, but it is what it is.

CoolClyde

Welcome The Bib

I, for one, welcome The Bib to NYC. looking forward to see him dishin and swishin, drivin and thrivin, droppin dimes and poppin threes in the garden of dreams! Poppa Hank, former NBA GREAT and a head coach, must be way proud, son! Basketball blood runs in the Bib's veins, he's smart and can easily thrive in the SSOL, AND make life easy for the best front line in the league, while helping Toney D, Laundry Folds and Sherbert along the way. as long as we keep Toney D, and not trade him for JJ Bare Heya, I think we're set (if we get JJ to take a 2-year deal w/out losing TD, all the better).

HEY! Mike the Bib's got his own website. Check out his bio and tell me this guy is not what we need:
http://www.mikebibby.com/bio.html

as AOL would say...Welcome! you've got male! (no homo)

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I, for one, welcome The Bib to NYC. looking forward to see him dishin and swishin, drivin and thrivin, droppin dimes and poppin threes in the garden of dreams! Poppa Hank, former NBA GREAT and a head coach, must be way proud, son! Basketball blood runs in the Bib's veins, he's smart and can easily thrive in the SSOL, AND make life easy for the best front line in the league, while helping Toney D, Laundry Folds and Sherbert along the way. as long as we keep Toney D, and not trade him for JJ Bare Heya, I think we're set (if we get JJ to take a 2-year deal w/out losing TD, all the better).

HEY! Mike the Bib's got his own website. Check out his bio and tell me this guy is not what we need:
http://www.mikebibby.com/bio.html

as AOL would say...Welcome! you've got male! (no homo)

Agreed. Mike Bibby is a welcome addition to this KNicks team. Every team needs a shooter, and this guy can still stroke it (that's what she said). The fact is, Miami reached the NBA Finals with Bibby as their starting PG. Let's give this guy a chance.