Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knicks offer JJ Barea two year deal

Nyk Logo Knicks offer JJ Barea two year deal

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    From David Aldridge

A source close to free agent guard J.J. Barea said Saturday that the Knicks and Timberwolves are both in pursuit of the 27-year-old, who starred in the postseason last spring during the Mavericks’ run to the NBA title.
    The Knicks, according to the source, offered Barea a two-year deal. By using the amnesty provision on Saturday to waive guard Chauncey Billups and dealing forward Ronny Turiaf to Washington as part of the three-team deal that sent Tyson Chandler to New York, the Knicks technically fell under the cap, and thus lost their ability to use the mid-level exception starting at $5 million. They could use the new “room” exception for teams that are below the tax threshold that starts at $2.5 million.

so two years at 2.5 mil per year? He might not take that but we'll see.

Lurker

I heard he wanted a long term commitment, who knows maybe he'll take two here.

Veteran

He may. He's 27, not a lot of wear and tear from what I know.

His two years here could massively expand his earning potential to the point he could end up getting a huge (likely inflated) contract afterwards.

Worst case, it's hard to imagine he would leave a two year tenure here with a value lower than 2.5/year.

Plus, he gets to be a Knick. (damn it feels good to say that again)

If we get him or not the fact that the knicks are trying to get anotjer pg to put besides bibby and TD makes me think Shumpert is gonna see his minutes as a back-up to Fields.

Veteran

JJ should be the starter. Bibby back up.
    Now we need a solid shooting guard to either start or back up fields.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Wargames
    If we get him or not the fact that the knicks are trying to get anotjer pg to put besides bibby and TD makes me think Shumpert is gonna see his minutes as a back-up to Fields.
    Hasn't he was always, at heart, been considered a 2, or combo guard at the most?

I know it's raw...but a backcourt of

Bibby-Barea
    Fields-Shumpert

Has me pretty ****ing excited.

Veteran

If I were him I would be looking for a better deal but he's not an upper echelon PG and he's competing for a contract against some amnesty guys like Arenas and Bibby and there isn't much time until the season starts. This deal might be the best one he gets. He's scrappy, he's got a ring, he'll be a good addition.

Veteran

Fields outside shot must improve.....

I love Fields but with
    JJ
    Melo
    Amare
    Chandler...

U need a shooting guard then can knock down the shot....I hope is up for the task....

Shooting guard right now is our weakest position.

Fields or Schumper ot if Douglas plays it can be the differece in an NBA Championship.

( and no injuries )

Veteran

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    If I were him I would be looking for a better deal but he's not an upper echelon PG and he's competing for a contract against some amnesty guys like Arenas and Bibby and there isn't much time until the season starts. This deal might be the best one he gets. He's scrappy, he's got a ring, he'll be a good addition.
    also has a strong shot of being a NY KNICKS STARTING PG. HAS TO BE A DREAM COME TRUE.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Hasn't he was always, at heart, been considered a 2, or combo guard at the most?

I know it's raw...but a backcourt of

Bibby-Barea
    Fields-Shumpert

Has me pretty ****ing excited.
    Where's the love for Toney D

Veteran

Originally Posted by smokes
    Where's the love for Toney D
    JJB thread, so I assumed Sir Toney was already nixed!

I want to keep Douglas, trust. Idk if I'd take him over Barea straight up, but I do view Toney as a richer man's Nate Robinson, with superior D and a superior head.

Veteran

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    JJB thread, so I assumed Sir Toney was already nixed!

I want to keep Douglas, trust. Idk if I'd take him over Barea straight up, but I do view Toney as a richer man's Nate Robinson, with superior D and a superior head.
    He has been injury prone.....and we see where Nate is these days...
    If we keep tony D he should not be a starter....use him off the bench at both guard positions..

Damn I would be so pumped if he Barea signed here. Idk if he should start though, he's too small and isn't he more of a combo guard? I don't really remember how his pg skills were but our bench could use Barea's scoring punch. He can help us the same way he contributed to Dallas winning the championship this year, if anything I see him playing even better and thriving in this system. As for the starting SG, I think Fields/Shumpert/Walker is enough. I feel like Fields will be a lot better this year now that he has more experience.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Damn I would be so pumped if he Barea signed here. Idk if he should start though, he's too small and isn't he more of a combo guard? I don't really remember how his pg skills were but our bench could use Barea's scoring punch. He can help us the same way he contributed to Dallas winning the championship this year, if anything I see him playing even better and thriving in this system. As for the starting SG, I think Fields/Shumpert/Walker is enough. I feel like Fields will be a lot better this year now that he has more experience.
    He should start. Whenever he was on the floor the Mavericks played very well. If Jason Kidd wasn't on the team then i think he would've started. I dont want to see us trade Douglas for him straight up, however.

I mean if its between us and Minnesota I like our chances but damn I just wish he was 6'2 200 but kept the speed and added some strength, he'd be perfect