Knicks offer JJ Barea two year deal

Paul1355

All Star
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/category/free-agency-2011/#?ls=iref:nbahpt1
From David Aldridge

A source close to free agent guard J.J. Barea said Saturday that the Knicks and Timberwolves are both in pursuit of the 27-year-old, who starred in the postseason last spring during the Mavericks? run to the NBA title.
The Knicks, according to the source, offered Barea a two-year deal. By using the amnesty provision on Saturday to waive guard Chauncey Billups and dealing forward Ronny Turiaf to Washington as part of the three-team deal that sent Tyson Chandler to New York, the Knicks technically fell under the cap, and thus lost their ability to use the mid-level exception starting at $5 million. They could use the new ?room? exception for teams that are below the tax threshold that starts at $2.5 million.

so two years at 2.5 mil per year? He might not take that but we'll see.

iSaYughh

Starter
He may. He's 27, not a lot of wear and tear from what I know.

His two years here could massively expand his earning potential to the point he could end up getting a huge (likely inflated) contract afterwards.

Worst case, it's hard to imagine he would leave a two year tenure here with a value lower than 2.5/year.

Plus, he gets to be a Knick. (damn it feels good to say that again)

Wargames

Starter
If we get him or not the fact that the knicks are trying to get anotjer pg to put besides bibby and TD makes me think Shumpert is gonna see his minutes as a back-up to Fields.

iSaYughh

Starter
If we get him or not the fact that the knicks are trying to get anotjer pg to put besides bibby and TD makes me think Shumpert is gonna see his minutes as a back-up to Fields.

Hasn't he was always, at heart, been considered a 2, or combo guard at the most?

I know it's raw...but a backcourt of

Bibby-Barea
Fields-Shumpert

Has me pretty ****ing excited.

tiger0330

Legend
If I were him I would be looking for a better deal but he's not an upper echelon PG and he's competing for a contract against some amnesty guys like Arenas and Bibby and there isn't much time until the season starts. This deal might be the best one he gets. He's scrappy, he's got a ring, he'll be a good addition.

skisloper

Starter
Fields outside shot must improve.....

I love Fields but with
JJ
Melo
Amare
Chandler...

U need a shooting guard then can knock down the shot....I hope is up for the task....

Shooting guard right now is our weakest position.

Fields or Schumper ot if Douglas plays it can be the differece in an NBA Championship.

( and no injuries )

skisloper

Starter
If I were him I would be looking for a better deal but he's not an upper echelon PG and he's competing for a contract against some amnesty guys like Arenas and Bibby and there isn't much time until the season starts. This deal might be the best one he gets. He's scrappy, he's got a ring, he'll be a good addition.

also has a strong shot of being a NY KNICKS STARTING PG. HAS TO BE A DREAM COME TRUE.

iSaYughh

Starter
Where's the love for Toney D :(

JJB thread, so I assumed Sir Toney was already nixed! :smokin:

I want to keep Douglas, trust. Idk if I'd take him over Barea straight up, but I do view Toney as a richer man's Nate Robinson, with superior D and a superior head.

skisloper

Starter
JJB thread, so I assumed Sir Toney was already nixed! :smokin:

I want to keep Douglas, trust. Idk if I'd take him over Barea straight up, but I do view Toney as a richer man's Nate Robinson, with superior D and a superior head.

He has been injury prone.....and we see where Nate is these days...
If we keep tony D he should not be a starter....use him off the bench at both guard positions..

Damn I would be so pumped if he Barea signed here. Idk if he should start though, he's too small and isn't he more of a combo guard? I don't really remember how his pg skills were but our bench could use Barea's scoring punch. He can help us the same way he contributed to Dallas winning the championship this year, if anything I see him playing even better and thriving in this system. As for the starting SG, I think Fields/Shumpert/Walker is enough. I feel like Fields will be a lot better this year now that he has more experience.

Paul1355

All Star
Damn I would be so pumped if he Barea signed here. Idk if he should start though, he's too small and isn't he more of a combo guard? I don't really remember how his pg skills were but our bench could use Barea's scoring punch. He can help us the same way he contributed to Dallas winning the championship this year, if anything I see him playing even better and thriving in this system. As for the starting SG, I think Fields/Shumpert/Walker is enough. I feel like Fields will be a lot better this year now that he has more experience.

He should start. Whenever he was on the floor the Mavericks played very well. If Jason Kidd wasn't on the team then i think he would've started. I dont want to see us trade Douglas for him straight up, however.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I mean if its between us and Minnesota I like our chances but damn I just wish he was 6'2 200 but kept the speed and added some strength, he'd be perfect

Paul1355

All Star
I mean if its between us and Minnesota I like our chances but damn I just wish he was 6'2 200 but kept the speed and added some strength, he'd be perfect

He has speed, not toney douglas speed but he has speed. Let's say barea is deceptive and can cut through people.

Strength can be added.

CA7

Scoring Champ
He has speed, not toney douglas speed but he has speed. Let's say barea is deceptive and can cut through people.

Strength can be added.

I mean for defensive purposes, Rose and Rondo will eat him so will Wade when Miami goes Wade-James-Miller-Battier-Bosh type line-ups when Wade's the smallest guy out there, I think we'll be playing some zone this year more of a match up zone then base zone since we got Chandler inside and quick guards up top

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im liking this sounds good to me. Lets get it i still cant believe how good we've gotten these last couple of days alone.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Holy Sh*t, Barea and Bibby would be amazing.
Along with Crawford? we would be something to watch I'll give you that

Forrest17

Rotation player
Yeah, I really hope he takes the deal... We desperately need some reliable scoring from the guards and more depth as well.. Who cares if he is or isn't the starter we could really really use him especially seeing as how this season is going to be long and difficult.