Billups Amnesty:Genius or Isah-espue

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well like it or not it has been done and I a continue to wrestle with it, not because I do not think Chandler will be more valuable that Billups but how it went down seems to me either really really smart or extremely dumb!!

Ok The Knicks had the chance to sign Melo outright but we traded for him thus the Billups' contract is really a lump of Wilson's,Gallo,Felton,Mozgov all balled into one (more or less), being that you can not amnesty more than one deal then it is impossible we wouldve signed Melo this off season and then had a shot at Chandler....1 pt for Genius

Now consider that the Knicks have 3 big contracts on the books and no ability to move any of them off if there is an injury to any of them now that the amnesty is gone and then consider if The Knicks only took time to really consider what was in this FA class (even if they did not think they could get Chandler, Jordan and Nene could have been had) then they would have neglected to pick up Billups' option and still preserved the amenesty....1 pt Isiah-esque

Now also consider Miami wouldve for sure swooped up Billups if we did not pick up his option and using the exception on him blocks that completley who wouldve been unstoppable with him then I give a point to accidental genius a mixture of genius and Isiah-esque (think trading away 2 lottery picks for Curry but Wilson Chandler falling into our laps due to the second pick we gave up).

Pulling the rug out from underneath Billups....Isiah-esque all day!

Keeping this deal from hitting the news until it reach a stage of almost completions....genius!!!

skisloper

Starter
Well like it or not it has been done and I a continue to wrestle with it, not because I do not think Chandler will be more valuable that Billups but how it went down seems to me either really really smart or extremely dumb!!

Ok The Knicks had the chance to sign Melo outright but we traded for him thus the Billups' contract is really a lump of Wilson's,Gallo,Felton,Mozgov all balled into one (more or less), being that you can not amnesty more than one deal then it is impossible we wouldve signed Melo this off season and then had a shot at Chandler....1 pt for Genius

Now consider that the Knicks have 3 big contracts on the books and no ability to move any of them off if there is an injury to any of them now that the amnesty is gone and then consider if The Knicks only took time to really consider what was in this FA class (even if they did not think they could get Chandler, Jordan and Nene could have been had) then they would have neglected to pick up Billups' option and still preserved the amenesty....1 pt Isiah-esque

Now also consider Miami wouldve for sure swooped up Billups if we did not pick up his option and using the exception on him blocks that completley who wouldve been unstoppable with him then I give a point to accidental genius a mixture of genius and Isiah-esque (think trading away 2 lottery picks for Curry but Wilson Chandler falling into our laps due to the second pick we gave up).

Keeping this deal from hitting the news until it reach a stage of almost completions....genius!!!

Billups did make 15 million so I do not feel sorry for him...
BUT YOU ARE 100% RIGHT...With such a big free agency class why not save that 15 million and use it for Chandler straight out......then we could have cut Balkman with the amnesty ....and maybe have a guy like Grant Hill as our shooting guard...

Paul1355

All Star

Pros to the amnesty

-Billups was not our future PG, he would have only played for one year with us, then most likely go back to Denver or just retire.
-Billups got hurt last year and we could see that he was more injury prone than previous years, due to his age.
-Billups was slow and Mike D wants speed in his offense. Wasn't the best fit but a decent compliment for Amare because of his passing ability
-We get Tyson Chandler! Over paid for, yes, but a need and we should dominate. We are in a better spot to win a championship than before.

Cons to amnesty

-The amnesty is only allowed once so we just gave up something valuable for a player that we could have just let go before the start of the season. We basically wasted it thinking we'd keep Billlups.
-We couldn't even use Billups in a trade.
-We lose a veteran presence who was a 2nd coach on the floor and helped many players because of his knowledge of the game.
-We look bad from a PR stand point.
-Billups sounds pissed and might join the Heat, if he does we should watch the big shot.

skisloper

Starter
Pros to the amnesty

-Billups was not our future PG, he would have only played for one year with us, then most likely go back to Denver or just retire.
-Billups got hurt last year and we could see that he was more injury prone than previous years, due to his age.
-Billups was slow and Mike D wants speed in his offense. Wasn't the best fit but a decent compliment for Amare because of his passing ability
-We get Tyson Chandler! Over paid for, yes, but a need and we should dominate. We are in a better spot to win a championship than before.

Cons to amnesty

-The amnesty is only allowed once so we just gave up something valuable for a player that we could have just let go before the start of the season. We basically wasted it thinking we'd keep Billlups.
-We couldn't even use Billups in a trade.
-We lose a veteran presence who was a 2nd coach on the floor and helped many players because of his knowledge of the game.
-We look bad from a PR stand point.
-Billups sounds pissed and might join the Heat, if he does we should watch the big shot.

At the end of the day our KNICKs Team has the best front court in the NBA.
Chandler solves the constant crying by ALL OF US on this board last year.
He should have worn Oakleys number

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If an injury occurs, we lie in the beds we made.

To be Isiah-esque, we would have to have done a WHOLE lot worse considering we got exactly what we needed, pre-injury, to become a part of, and compete with the East's elite.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;189166 said:
If an injury occurs, we lie in the beds we made.

To be Isiah-esque, we would have to have done a WHOLE lot worse considering we got exactly what we needed, pre-injury, to become a part of, and compete with the East's elite.

We've clearly forgotten just how bad Isiah was!

As a rule, any move that directly or indirectly is tethered to an improvement of your team and franchise can not be Isiah'esque.

re: injuries...the atomic injury bomb is of course, Amare, but I honestly don't consider him an injury risk all things being equal -- Tyson is a worry. Even sheer workload could dramatically increase his chance of injury to a liklihood.

Which is why a more offensive, change of pace C would be great to mix in, if not to just spare Mr. Tyson some precious minutes.