View Poll Results: Who do think should start at POINT GUARD?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike Bibby

3 11.54%
  • Toney Douglas

10 38.46%
  • Baron Davis

5 19.23%
  • JJ Barea

1 3.85%
  • Jamal Crawford

2 7.69%
  • Iman Shumpert

3 11.54%
  • Doesn't matter, Melo will play Point Forward

2 7.69%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We Now Need a Point Guard more than anything.

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Let's throw in season courtside tickets, too.

Kblack's point that Crawford won't be relied on is paramount:

i) Crawford won't be compelled to go into shooting binges

ii) If Crawford does, he can be quickly yanked and cooled down, and we go to any number of our other scoring titans.

Either way, barring a legit Point Guard being signed, MDA is still going to orchestrate our offense to be run directly through Melo to some degree.

ie, if we got Crawford, and started him at the 1, it's not like he will be asked to execute a traditional PG role.

Fields and Crawford are both better suited for 6th man type roles in my opinion, regardless; with Crawford being able to come in at the 1 and 2, and Fields the 2 and 3.

Crawford was also another victim of Isiah. Crawford heaving up shots ad naseum, as games closed out especially, was because Thomas was specifically having the offense run through him as if he was Carmelo Anthony.....Who we actually now have, incidentally.
    Exactly -

We won't need Crawford to score in bunches like in his last stint - and he can be an effective PG when used in that role. With Melo and Amare, Crawford provides a presence at the 1 that can help create shots for our scorers OR could score himself.

Sounds like now that TD isnt in the deal people want him. Im all for it, as of now the Knicks are in real talk with him and the Hawks but he is still considering the Pacers. Also havent heard anything new on JJ Barea so I think its safe to say we're not getting him

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Exactly -

We won't need Crawford to score in bunches like in his last stint - and he can be an effective PG when used in that role. With Melo and Amare, Crawford provides a presence at the 1 that can help create shots for our scorers OR could score himself.
    he's not a point guard.....why is this being ignored.....he just ISNT a point guard. he's a shooter and an inefficient one at that. and he's been like that with every team he's ever played for. Why are we expecting that on a team with Melo and Amare, 2 shot hogs, that he will suddenly help this team become more efficient. It's not about scoring points, it's about scoring with the least amount of tries......In all of his "stints", he's been a scorer off the bench at the expense of efficiency.....

nevermind the fact that he's an awful defender, but lets not let facts get in the way of a chucker....

Veteran

Originally Posted by CuseGirl
    he's not a point guard.....why is this being ignored.....he just ISNT a point guard. he's a shooter and an inefficient one at that. and he's been like that with every team he's ever played for. Why are we expecting that on a team with Melo and Amare, 2 shot hogs, that he will suddenly help this team become more efficient. It's not about scoring points, it's about scoring with the least amount of tries......In all of his "stints", he's been a scorer off the bench at the expense of efficiency.....

nevermind the fact that he's an awful defender, but lets not let facts get in the way of a chucker....
    AMEN TO THAT.....WE HAVE ZERO NEED TO AQUIRE JAMAL.....

****unless he will be traded with Fields for better *****

We do need a true 3rd scorer and Crawford can be that for us, IDK why guys are saying this is bad he can spot up, create for himself, run the PnR, pull up and push the ball on the break

Veteran

Originally Posted by CA7
    We do need a true 3rd scorer and Crawford can be that for us, IDK why guys are saying this is bad he can spot up, create for himself, run the PnR, pull up and push the ball on the break
    Tony Douglas can do the same and play defense.....

crawford does NOT PLAY DEFENSE.....

We will NEVER win a title with guys who cannot defend.

Melo and Amare stepped up in the playoffs on both ends...
    Crawfors did not do that for Atlanta

Originally Posted by CuseGirl

Crawford ran the point for the Knicks and at times for the Hawks. He is a good passer, and is, for the fourteen thousandth time (which I am sure you will ignore), most effective as a player when he does not need to be relied on to score in bunches. That will be the case in NY.

In the playoffs last year, Crawford's opposition shot less than 40% from the field. The capability is there.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    Tony Douglas can do the same and play defense.....

crawford does NOT PLAY DEFENSE.....

We will NEVER win a title with guys who cannot defend.

Melo and Amare stepped up in the playoffs on both ends...
    Crawfors did not do that for Atlanta
    Douglas is injured and got burned by Delonte West in the playoffs. Crawford actually played solid defense in the playoffs.

Veteran

Crawford ran the point for the Knicks and at times for the Hawks. He is a good passer, and is, for the fourteen thousandth time (which I am sure you will ignore), most effective as a player when he does not need to be relied on to score in bunches. That will be the case in NY.

In the playoffs last year, Crawford's opposition shot less than 40% from the field. The capability is there.
    so why Crawford over douglas ?
    what is the reasoning ....unless the coaches feel douglas is not fully recovered from his shoulder surgeries

Originally Posted by skisloper
    so why Crawford over douglas ?
    what is the reasoning ....unless the coaches feel douglas is not fully recovered from his shoulder surgeries
    1) He had surgery
    2) Crawford has proven he can be an effective player in the league game-in and game-out
    3) Douglas is overrated on defense - he takes a ton of chances and got manhandled by Delonte West
    4) Douglas has not shown he has the passing ability, meanwhile I think they believe (and I believe) Crawford does - Eddy Curry's best season is largely attributed to Crawford's ability to distribute.

The only way I like Jamal Crawford is to use him in order to get Davis! He has yet to prove in any way that he can provide what we are lacking. Saying he wont have to chuck up shots because of Melo and Amare isnt enough especially in an offesinve system that promotes chucking up shots! If we get him without losing Douglas I can't be too mad because im sure he'll show how useless he is but I refuse to lose a valuable player on his account.

1) He had surgery
    2) Crawford has proven he can be an effective player in the league game-in and game-out
    3) Douglas is overrated on defense - he takes a ton of chances and got manhandled by Delonte West
    4) Douglas has not shown he has the passing ability, meanwhile I think they believe (and I believe) Crawford does - Eddy Curry's best season is largely attributed to Crawford's ability to distribute.
    + We signed Mike Bibby! (not that I'm excited) Bibby is MOA's answer at the point thus Crawford is looked at to probably replace Fields at SG if acquired.

Is Crawford better than Fields?

Originally Posted by Red
    + We signed Mike Bibby! (not that I'm excited) Bibby is MOA's answer at the point thus Crawford is looked at to probably replace Fields at SG if acquired.

Is Crawford better than Fields?
    I gotta go with yes

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    I gotta go with yes
    i'd rather go with Fields upside, chance for improvement and rebounding ability than Crawford's 12 long jumpers a game.....

True, but I feel like if he was as bad as you make him out to be he wouldnt have been targeted by the Bulls first. for defense