We Now Need a Point Guard more than anything.

Who do think should start at POINT GUARD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

p0nder

Starter
Honestly I think JC is BEST suited to be a 6th man and come in at the 2 spot. He's not a great play maker and his passing is suspect. He can hit the 3 better then other listed PG's but he's not really a PG.

I think even if he did come here they would play him starting at the 2, with Bibby starting at the 1 with Fields and Shump off the bench.

Mike Bibby is a GREAT pg to come in and help develop Shump and Fields. He plays smart ball and though his best days are behind him he can still be an effective player. I think his poor shooting with Miami was a result of the atmosphere and shots he was asked to take, not of his mechanics or inability to shoot. Aside from Chauncy Billups I don't think there is a better vet PG available (Nash will always be the ideal in a MOA run team)

All the same, I gotta be pretty pleased with how free agency has gone this year. Clearly we are making the push to get the title this year and going forward. Tyson, Amar'e and Melo should be feared. Bibby, Crawford, etc, there are the pieces you bring in to round out the roster and put it all together. Go KNICKS!!

iSaYughh

Starter
^^^^ Luke Ridnour? Yes, please.

He would be ideal for us.

Salary

Defense

PG skill set

Idk if we can swing a deal with KAHN, but if that crazy mofo is open to the idea I really hope we're on top of it.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Like I said before I'm almost confident with the Barea deal Ridnour is on the trading block. He's owed 12 mill over the next 3 years which is pretty cheap. He's solid and might be better than any of the pg's we have now. He averged 12points 6 assits a game and shot over 40 percent last season from 3.

He has better court vision than TD and has a pretty consistent outside shot. He would play about 30 min a game leaving TD with some time of the bench. I can also see Dantoni playing both of them at the same time at some points of the game, having TD play the 2.

jzero29

Rotation player
I always liked Rindour, but bibby just got here.
Hopefully tyson chandler, calls out the fellas about defense. Hope his commitment to defense is contagious

Wargames

Starter
Alan Hahn keeps saying that B. Davis wants to go here but Gilbert hasn't waivered him yet. If he was to come for a vet min and the Knicks could still use their 2.5 and the remainder of the Rautins TPE for 2 more role-players I think the knicks could make the ECF easily.

jzero29

Rotation player
Alan Hahn keeps saying that B. Davis wants to go here but Gilbert hasn't waivered him yet. If he was to come for a vet min and the Knicks could still use their 2.5 and the remainder of the Rautins TPE for 2 more role-players I think the knicks could make the ECF easily.
forgive my ignorance...or don't. but what is a TPE and EFC? trade/player exception? EFC?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Okay let's get some things str8. TD is a gritty defender and will reach and take chances on defense in the passing lanes BUT he is not some type of Artest or Bowen on-ball master defender that some people make him out to be. You cannot make lazy passes around him but if you?re a good ball handler its not like he's going to make it difficult for you to get to the basket. I didn't like what I saw from him in the playoffs when it came to transition defense. He literally let Rondo drive past him on several possessions while only waving an arm.

I can't see TD as a starter on a championship caliber team right now. When did he all of a sudden become a viable option at PG??? There was no summer league to monitor plus he was rehabbing. I don't want to see STAT getting the ball in ISO and trying to create for himself. We need someone who can break down the defense (JC) and get guys high percentage shots. I prefer TD off the bench with the second team. We have TC now so any backcourt issues can be made up with him.

Crawford may not be a true PG but he will create better motion on offense than TD. Let's not forget how stagnant everything was when Billups got injured. Also, I agree with some posters that JC will not be asked to score a lot so I wouldn't worry about his shot selection. He also outplayed Johnson (max salary) in the playoffs.

Red

TYPE-A
TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!

No question, right now, it centers around the*starting point guard position. Can third-year player*Toney Douglas, a natural combo guard who led the NBA in 3-pointers made after the 2011 All-Star break (68), become more of a facilitator and better decision-maker?*

Keep this in mind: The Knicks still have a two-year, $2.5 million exception to spend. Will they use it on*Baron Davis? B-Diddy missed his third straight day of Cavaliers training camp Sunday, with what the team is calling tightness in his lower back, and they have until this Friday to decide whether or not to amnesty him.*

However, it's a strong possibility that the Knicks will reserve that money for small forward*Shawne Williams, who would return to the team as a solid backup for*Carmelo Anthony. Therefore, all signs point to Douglas getting the nod on Christmas Day, andMike D'Antoni*is confident in that plan. While naysayers are quick to downplay Douglas, based on his erratic play during the Celtics' sweep of the Knicks in the first round of the 2011 playoffs, they overlook the fact that he was suffering from a torn labrum in his right shooting shoulder. D'Antoni says Douglas' drive will enable him to bounce back.*

"That playoff experience, although he got hurt, that will help him," he said. "Toney is a very determined young man and is one of the reasons why we can do this. We saw what Toney did when he was out there by himself and he did a great job. He was 4-2 in that six-game stretch [in early March of last season] against really good teams, and we expect more of the same."*

In those six games, Douglas averaged 16.8 points, 6.8 assists and made 17 3-pointers (48.6 percent), as the Knicks knocked off the Hornets, Hawks, Jazz and Grizzlies.*

While D'Antoni has penciled in Douglas in the first unit, he envisions a three-guard rotation of Douglas,*Mike Bibby*andIman Shumpert, with Anthony getting consistent touches bringing the ball up the court and running the pick-and-roll, which he displayed during Sunday's practice.*

"I think we're OK," D'Antoni said. "I like the way Shumpert looks and he'll keep getting better, so we've got three [point guards]. Like I said, the ball is going to go through Melo a lot, so there are a lot of options that we have."*

Responding to the notion that the Knicks still have a hole at the starting sport, Douglas said, "I don't listen to none of that.*

I'm sold!
Mean Muggin' TD is home-grown
Was a former ACC DPOY
Has a few years of experience
Led the league in 3pt shots after the half
Has speed
Avg 16.8 & 6.8 when he started for Billups
Has hit clutch shots and knows the offense

His weaknesses include:
Passing/getting teammates involved
Shot selection
Finishing at the rim

With Bibby here to further TD's development, Shump providing size and additional defense, and without having to look over his shoulder (which hopefully is completely healed), I think under MOA Mean muggin' can excel.

I'm going with TD.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
Crawford would be the perfect fit as our starting PG. Outstanding ball handler, VERY underrated passer, and Great 3rd scoring option (ppl dont seem to realise, other than Melo n Amare, we don't have anyone to look to for offense).

He'd be the ideal PG in Mike D's offense imo..u guys need to forget about what u might remember of JC when he was a Knick and was relied upon to be our #1 option..i can see him avg 16ppg, 6ast as our starting PG

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
Crawford would be the perfect fit as our starting PG. Outstanding ball handler, VERY underrated passer, and Great 3rd scoring option (ppl dont seem to realise, other than Melo n Amare, we don't have anyone to look to for offense).

He'd be the ideal PG in Mike D's offense imo..u guys need to forget about what u might remember of JC when he was a Knick and was relied upon to be our #1 option..i can see him avg 16ppg, 6ast as our starting PG

Except Crawford isn't a point guard.

I didn't realize Ridnour was 30 already.

jzero29

Rotation player
crawford is too offensive...like i'm offended by his play, we need a floor general and crawford is not that!

carlhil2

Benchwarmer
2010-11 Knicks backcourt combinations
Combination MIN Pace OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg +/-
Felton & Fields 1,428 99.0 110.9 108.6 +2.3 +33
Douglas & Fields 835 97.1 112.8 105.2 +7.6 +131
Felton & Douglas 672 99.5 101.2 104.6 -3.4 -49
Billups & Fields 417 99.4 105.6 109.8 -4.2 -34
Billups & Douglas 225 98.1 113.1 115.2 -2.1 +4
Pace = Possessions per 48 minutes
OffRtg = Points scored per 100 possessions
DefRtg = Points allowed per 100 possessions....the Fields/Douglas duo were the best, easily!
:afro:

Thugball

Benchwarmer
No big signing, just give Doug and Halfy a shot and see how it works out.
our backcourt is already pretty crowded and I would like to see Shump get a chance to prove himself as well.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I got faith in Douglas he just needs to add some strength and D'Antoni needs to treat him like an NFL Coach treats a QB, help him grow, let him make mistakes and let him play his game

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. The word out there is that D'Antoni is a players' coach, but it's a problem when rookies don't get to fix their mistakes. I always thought that Mike D never gave AR a chance to fix his mistakes.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
We still need a PG who can distribute the ball on offense. After acquiring CP3, The Clippers now have CP3, Bledsoe, Chauncey, and Mo Williams. Maybe they'll amnesty Mo and we can snag him for cheap. Clips have too many PGs anyway.

Mo would be a good fit in MDA's offense. shoots the three well and can contribute (as he showed in Cleveland with LeBron)

Forrest17

Rotation player
I think STAT has a beef with Davis or something. He was asked about it and he said "He is not a concern of ours"

lol. It could be he didn't want to put down douglas and say he doesn't think he can start point but there seemed to be some anger there haha