Reggie Williams?

finestrg

Rotation player
Just reading that the Warriors 'rescinded' their QO to this guy in order to come up with the most money possible for the DeAndre Jordan offer sheet.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...sty_Bell_Rescind_Qualifying_Offer_To_Williams

Not 100% sure but I believe he now becomes an UFA and is fair game -- we wouldn't have to worry about the Warriors matching any offer we made. I don't think they're in control of him anymore. We might be able to swoop in and steal this guy right now. To me, it's simple --- I think we're OK at the point now -- Bibby gives us a little more depth and flexibilty. I'm content to hand it over to Douglas and let Bibby and Shumpert fill in (Mike's already said that a lot of stuff is gonna be running threw Melo now anyway which I don't mind -- Melo's an underrated passer and he can handle the ball too). I'd forget all about this Crawford and JJ Barea stuff. It feels overkill to me. I think that within the next couple of days, unless a PG becomes available that's a clear cut improvement over what we have now (Baron Davis for instance, Ramon Sessions maybe), we need to refill the Shawne Williams role. Either with Shawne himself or with someone comparable.

I believe we still have the 'room exception' to offer a player (2-yr, $5M contract). That's more than Reggie's QO of $1,059,293 so it wouldn't exactly be an insult if we offered it to him.

If it came down to it -- Shawne Williams or Reggie Williams? Both are good outside shooters so each would fullfill that need; Reggie's much more of a versatile scorer overall (more versatile player in general -- he can play some 2, pretty good ball-handler, Shawne's not that type of player) yet Shawne's got more height and length we could use to guard the post. If we decide to extend an offer to Reggie Williams now, would Shawne take that as an insult? He might. Might not wait around for us after that. Have we even offered the room exception to Shawne yet? I mean maybe you offer it to both guys simultaneously and tell them look, whoever wants it more becomes a Knick. Probably prefer Reggie a little more but honestly, I'd be OK with either guy. We make a move for either guy and I think that's about it unless something really good manages to present itself..I'd be ready to roll after this I'm thinking.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Just reading that the Warriors 'rescinded' their QO to this guy in order to come up with the most money possible for the DeAndre Jordan offer sheet.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...sty_Bell_Rescind_Qualifying_Offer_To_Williams

Not 100% sure but I believe he now becomes an UFA and is fair game -- we wouldn't have to worry about the Warriors matching any offer we made. I don't think they're in control of him anymore. We might be able to swoop in and steal this guy right now. To me, it's simple --- I think we're OK at the point now -- Bibby gives us a little more depth and flexibilty. I'm content to hand it over to Douglas and let Bibby and Shumpert fill in (Mike's already said that a lot of stuff is gonna be running threw Melo now anyway which I don't mind -- Melo's an underrated passer and he can handle the ball too). I'd forget all about this Crawford and JJ Barea stuff. It feels overkill to me. I think that within the next couple of days, unless a PG becomes available that's a clear cut improvement over what we have now (Baron Davis for instance, Ramon Sessions maybe), we need to refill the Shawne Williams role. Either with Shawne himself or with someone comparable.

I believe we still have the 'room exception' to offer a player (2-yr, $5M contract). That's more than Reggie's QO of $1,059,293 so it wouldn't exactly be an insult if we offered it to him.

If it came down to it -- Shawne Williams or Reggie Williams? Both are good outside shooters so each would fullfill that need; Reggie's much more of a versatile scorer overall (more versatile player in general -- he can play some 2, pretty good ball-handler, Shawne's not that type of player) yet Shawne's got more height and length we could use to guard the post. If we decide to extend an offer to Reggie Williams now, would Shawne take that as an insult? He might. Might not wait around for us after that. Have we even offered the room exception to Shawne yet? I mean maybe you offer it to both guys simultaneously and tell them look, whoever wants it more becomes a Knick. Probably prefer Reggie a little more but honestly, I'd be OK with either guy. We make a move for either guy and I think that's about it unless something really good manages to present itself..I'd be ready to roll after this I'm thinking.

if we resign Shawne Williams then I would let Reggie pass because we would have too many players and Reggie would not get playing time but i like him as a player

finestrg

Rotation player
how is reggie williams? i dont know much about him.

Listed at 6'6" 215 SG/SF. MONSTER scorer in college (where he led the nation in scoring TWICE in back-to-back yrs) and the DL for one season (09-10 for the Sioux Falls Skyforce) where he put up unbelievable numbers:

In 31 games (40 mins per game): 26.4 ppg, 57.6% FG (41% on 3s), 82.4% FT, 5.5 reb, 3.2 asst, 1.6 stl.

GS had him the last 2 yrs and in a limited capacity he still managed to show good success:

104 gms total over the last 2 seasons in Golden State:

23 mins/game: 10.6 ppg, 47.7% FG (40.5% on 3s, 135-333), 77.6% FT, 3.1 reb.

I like him a lot. 3-pt stroke has gotten a lot more consistent from his college days. Always was a pretty good rebounder too for a wing where he went for 9/game his senior yr at VMI... Pure scorer that can score on anybody, anytime, anywhere. Lefty wing that kinda reminds me of Michael Redd a little bit. Just to compare, he's much more of a consistent scorer and versatile scorer than Shawne Williams imo. Shawne's more of a stationary spot-up jumpshooter that you can move down low to guard the post on defense--that's his game..Reggie's more of a 2/3 slasher/scorer that can handle the ball a whole lot better and score it from anywhere. They're each different players, each bringing something to the table, but overall I think I'd rather add Reggie over Shawne. We're talking about a guy that instantly replaces Shawne's 3-pt shooting (he's had a good sample professionally to show that his 3-pt shooting and good shooting % overall isn't some fluke) and I think he'd be a real good guy to have around just in case Melo ever went down God forbid. I think he's capable of assuming a heavier scoring load if need be. Not that he'd ever come in and replace Melo's scoring but he'd come a lot closer than Shawne could...He'd be a great guy to have around man. He'd be instant firepower off the bench behind Fields/Melo at the 2/3 (I like him a whole lot better than Billy Walker)..Again, both Reggie & Shawne are solid 3-pt shooters, but I'd rather have this guy's scorer's mentality over Shawne's ability to slide over and guard the post. We have guys that can do that now with Chandler, Jorts, Jordan, etc.. The Knicks shouldn't sleep on this guy. I would've offered him a contract the moment he became available if I were Grunwald. He'd be a steal for the room exception imho...Here's some video of Reggie in action:

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
Listed at 6'6" 215 SG/SF. MONSTER scorer in college (where he led the nation in scoring TWICE in back-to-back yrs) and the DL for one season (09-10 for the Sioux Falls Skyforce) where he put up unbelievable numbers:

In 31 games (40 mins per game): 26.4 ppg, 57.6% FG (41% on 3s), 82.4% FT, 5.5 reb, 3.2 asst, 1.6 stl.

GS had him the last 2 yrs and in a limited capacity he still managed to show good success:

I like him a lot. 3-pt stroke has gotten a lot more consistent from his college days. Always was a pretty good rebounder too for a wing where he went for 9/game his senior yr at VMI... Pure scorer that can score on anybody, anytime, anywhere. Lefty wing that kinda reminds me of Michael Redd a little bit. Just to compare, he's much more of a consistent scorer and versatile scorer than Shawne Williams imo. Shawne's more of a stationary spot-up jumpshooter that you can move down low to guard the post on defense--that's his game..Reggie's more of a 2/3 slasher/scorer that can handle the ball a whole lot better and score it from anywhere. They're each different players, each bringing something to the table, but overall I think I'd rather add Reggie over Shawne. We're talking about a guy that instantly replaces Shawne's 3-pt shooting (he's had a good sample professionally to show that his 3-pt shooting and good shooting % overall isn't some fluke) and I think he'd be a real good guy to have around just in case Melo ever went down God forbid. I think he's capable of assuming a heavier scoring load if need be. Not that he'd ever come in and replace Melo's scoring but he'd come a lot closer than Shawne could...He'd be a great guy to have around man. He'd be instant firepower off the bench behind Fields/Melo at the 2/3 (I like him a whole lot better than Billy Walker)..Again, both Reggie & Shawne are solid 3-pt shooters, but I'd rather have this guy's scorer's mentality over Shawne's ability to slide over and guard the post. We have guys that can do that now with Chandler, Jorts, Jordan, etc.. The Knicks shouldn't sleep on this guy. I would've offered him a contract the moment he became available if I were Grunwald. He'd be a steal for the room exception imho...Here's some video of Reggie in action:

i would definately take him over shawne williams. he attacks the basket more and is a better defender. we will need basket attackers and ball handlers. he is clearly better than SW and should be pursued.

finestrg

Rotation player
i would definately take him over shawne williams. he attacks the basket more and is a better defender. we will need basket attackers and ball handlers. he is clearly better than SW and should be pursued.

F**kin' A. I like him more than Shawne too. Who even knew he'd be available? Go get him. Go get this kid (1st choice) or Shawne Williams and let's roll.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
The Warriors had a qualifying offer of $1.1mil for Reggie. Should we use the mini mid-level on him? Why not? He seems to be a capable backup at SF. And after playing with the Warriors, I think he'll be great in MDA's offense.

finestrg

Rotation player
The Warriors had a qualifying offer of $1.1mil for Reggie. Should we use the mini mid-level on him? Why not? He seems to be a capable backup at SF. And after playing with the Warriors, I think he'll be great in MDA's offense.

I believe they just rescinded their qualifying offer to him (along with waiving Jeremy Lin) to squeeze out max. money for their DeAndre Jordan offer sheet.

I agree -- the Warriors' style of play isn't all that different from how D'Antoni really wants to play. And Reggie was thriving in that system. He'd be a real nice addition here if we could get him.

KDog13

Rookie
I was going to make a post about him yesterday too... Big Reggie Williams fan since he's been draining buckets at VMI. Surprised none of you knew of the nations leading scorer in the NCAA during his reign. He's a pure scorer, from anywhere and he's athletic. He plays defense too, maybe not as well as Shawne Williams but he is aggressive.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Thats the type of 2 guard I'm looking for next to Melo on the wing, perfect stroke, can handle the rock, attack the basket, he's got an old mans game, very athletic, solid D, I'd sign him and start him ASAP

New New York

Quiet Storm
Nah, he seems to play some nice defense, we'll pass:teeth:!

LOL!

But honestly the thing I think we forget about Shawne is how well he plays D!

or it was hard to know how good a defender he was due to him playing the 4 and 5, but he played great D on SF's last year, most notably the game we bit The Heat at The Garden

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

thanks a lot bro, damn i like em. we should definitely bring him in. getting him on the minimum definitely doesnt hurt us any.

I've been mentioning Reggie Williams since forever bro, the guy can be our starting SG while Landry fills the 6th man role. The only problem is that if we sign Reggie which probably means not signing Shawne then we have a big hole at our back-up SF position, and Shawne is a good defender,three point shooter, and a great locker room guy. Reggie can't be a replacement for Shawne, he is an SG that's 6'5. Is it possible to sign Reggie and Shawne? Not to mention don't we plan on signing Davis?

CA7

Scoring Champ
Reggie gets the mini MLE
Baron gets the vet minimum 1.4mil
Shawne takes the vet minimum 890K

Then we're set we can trade Balkman and Walker to teams who need to fill their cap

CA7

Scoring Champ
Been watching more film and in all honesty he would be the perfect 3rd scorer to compliment STAT and Melo, I mean I know Crawford is good but he's not an off the ball guy, Reggie is a great off the ball guy and rotating Douglas/Fields/Shumpert/Bibby/Williams would be great for the long haul of the season we'd have everything we'd need in our backcourt from size(Fields, Williams, Shumpert), Speed(Douglas and Shumpert), experience(Bibby and Fields), defense(Shumpert, Douglas, Fields and Williams), shooting(Bibby, Douglas, Williams) and athleticism(Shumpert and Williams). Imagine going forward with those 4 young guys, STAT, Melo and Extra E at the 3/4 and Chandler and Jordan at the 5, continuity is the best thing is basketball having 9 guys who know the system and fit perfect with each other. This unit will win at least 2 rings. I pray we get Reggie and Shawne, I pray

F- Carmelo Anthony
F- Amar'e Stoudemire
C- Tyson Chandler
G- Landry Fields
G- Toney Douglas
G- Iman Shumpert
C- Jerome Jordan
F- Shawne Williams
G- Reggie Williams

New York Basketball is Back