Davis Likely To Be Amnestied, End Up With Knicks

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Dec 12, 2011 1:35 PM EST
Davis_Baron_cle_110725a.jpg

While Baron Davis has left Cleveland to have his back examined, a source says it is likely that he is amnestied by the Cavaliers and that he ends up signing with the Knicks.

But Davis may not be available to play for a while due to his bad back.

Via Ken Berger/CBS Sports (via TwitteR)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...Be_Amnestied_End_Up_With_Knicks#ixzz1gLcKe7og

I understand picking up a veteran like him but why would you risk a roster spot knowing he has back issues?

Wargames

Starter
please let this story be a smoke screen so Gilbert can amnesty him with a straight face.

Also I wonder is maybe the hold up Gilbert waiting to see if Miami takes Billups before he releases B.Davis just to make sure there is no room for him on the Heat....

I know a lot of what ifs and conspiracy stuff but hey what else is there to talk about until the season starts

nyk_nyk

All Star
LOL there's nothing wrong with Baron's back. He just don't want to be there!

As soon as he's signed somewhere else he'll be ready.

Wargames

Starter
I don't want Davis. He has a scorer's mentality.

He is pretty good with the P'N'R and his alleyoops made Griffin and D.Jordan look like trampeze artist last year. Thats basically the type of PG Tyson Chandler offensively thrives off of.

Anyhow TD is still here to be the defensive PG and with Baron there the odds of PG being a glaring weakspot on the roster is decreased significantly.

GoodVib

Rookie
About the amnesty clause:
Do someone know the details of the bidding process ?
What is the timing for teams under the cap to make an offer ?

KDog13

Rookie
Baron would be awesome to have, would make you wonder why we signed Bibby though. Especially considering his money is better off in Shawne Williams hands.

this isnt the days of marbury and francis sharing back court duties

we have real players

real winners

and i like the idea of signing veterans with a point to prove like bibby and davis because they will only look better and younger playing along side amare and melo

stop thinking of bibby as mike bibby the pg

and view him as a spot up shooter who can fill a role like steve kerr or eddie house for us

think of a baron davis as a jason terry for us, a good ball handler who can come in and score for us, if he is off we sit him and put douglas or bibby back int he game,

what i love about what we are doing is we are giving ourself options

we can have douglas and davis

or davis and bibby

or bibby and fields

shumpert and fields

or fields and davis in the game together at any moment to moatch up

small pg put davis and let him post up

big pg put shumpert and fields in the line up together for a big back court

small line up put douglas and bibby in together

what we are doing is giving ourselves the opportunity to match up to any team on any given night

we can slow the ball down and play half court isolation

we can go small ball spread the floor and push it down the court

we can play zone and have chandler roam the paint on help defense

we can go man to man and not worry about small or big match ups.

im loving everything we are doing this offseason

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I think it would be a nice addition. As long as its cheap and short term, I got no problem with Baron Davis.

He's at the point of his career where he has already made a lot of money, is getting older, and probably really wants a ring. I have faith that he would sacrifice some of his chucker mentality for the good of the team.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
this isnt the days of marbury and francis sharing back court duties

we have real players

real winners

and i like the idea of signing veterans with a point to prove like bibby and davis because they will only look better and younger playing along side amare and melo

stop thinking of bibby as mike bibby the pg

and view him as a spot up shooter who can fill a role like steve kerr or eddie house for us

think of a baron davis as a jason terry for us, a good ball handler who can come in and score for us, if he is off we sit him and put douglas or bibby back int he game,

what i love about what we are doing is we are giving ourself options

we can have douglas and davis

or davis and bibby

or bibby and fields

shumpert and fields

or fields and davis in the game together at any moment to moatch up

small pg put davis and let him post up

big pg put shumpert and fields in the line up together for a big back court

small line up put douglas and bibby in together

what we are doing is giving ourselves the opportunity to match up to any team on any given night

we can slow the ball down and play half court isolation

we can go small ball spread the floor and push it down the court

we can play zone and have chandler roam the paint on help defense

we can go man to man and not worry about small or big match ups.

im loving everything we are doing this offseason

my feelings exactly bro, we've taken huge strides this year. were almost at a championship maybe one or 2 pieces short. and this year i expect us to play like it

iSaYughh

Starter
The Baron is clearly the best low-risk, high-reward guard we can sign.

This is a very sound move.

Baron is lazy, out of shape, and nonchalant when he isn't happy or motivated.

However, when The Baron is in a situation he finds challenging, interesting, and fruitful he always has been -- and still is -- an able, above average to good point guard.

If he wants to play for us....with the talent we have, and MDA coaching, this could prove to be the best pickup of free agency (not that Davis is the best player, obviously).

If Davis goes down, we still will have our pick of one of our current combo guards to slot in alongside Bibby, while still leaving a combo guard (either Douglas or Shumpert, likely) to slot alongside Fields for our 2.

Davis-Bibby
Douglas-Shumpert
Melo-Fields
Amare-Jeffries
Chandler-Jordan

Ideally, Fields coming on as our 6th man, who we can use in both the 2 and 3. If Douglas/Shumpert aren't showing us shit, we can always slot Landry back in as a starting 2.

smokes

Huge Member
I think it would be a nice addition. As long as its cheap and short term, I got no problem with Baron Davis.

He's at the point of his career where he has already made a lot of money, is getting older, and probably really wants a ring. I have faith that he would sacrifice some of his chucker mentality for the good of the team.

You stole my avatar!

paris401

Starter

1st off i agree with ya... b u t.. what a statement to make about a guy... if he's happy or motivated...

fuk he's making 14m...and he aint happy or motivated... fuk him.. i'd ban his fat ass ... let him pay for 2 fukin seats and go to turkey or spain n play..

fuk him...

carlhil2

Benchwarmer
1st off i agree with ya... b u t.. what a statement to make about a guy... if he's happy or motivated...

fuk he's making 14m...and he aint happy or motivated... fuk him.. i'd ban his fat ass ... let him pay for 2 fukin seats and go to turkey or spain n play..

fuk him...

with that 14mil he is getting, he can VACATION in those locales without losing sleep over bball, 4real!:afro:

skisloper

Starter
The Baron is clearly the best low-risk, high-reward guard we can sign.

This is a very sound move.

However, when The Baron is in a situation he finds challenging, interesting, and fruitful he always has been -- and still is -- an able, above average to good point guard.

If he wants to play for us....with the talent we have, and MDA coaching, this could prove to be the best pickup of free agency (not that Davis is the best player, obviously).

If Davis goes down, we still will have our pick of one of our current combo guards to slot in alongside Bibby, while still leaving a combo guard (either Douglas or Shumpert, likely) to slot alongside Fields for our 2.

Davis-Bibby
Douglas-Shumpert
Melo-Fields
Amare-Jeffries
Chandler-Jordan

Ideally, Fields coming on as our 6th man, who we can use in both the 2 and 3. If Douglas/Shumpert aren't showing us shit, we can always slot Landry back in as a starting 2.

what about Walker and Shawnee Williams,,,,

iSaYughh

Starter

fuk him...

I can't really disagree with ya; if I ran a team, I would call that shit out if a player tried to punk the franchise and fans like that.

Pro-Baron people often put it like this: he plays down, or up...to his competition/teammates/etc. So if he's on a legit team, with hardcore fans, pumped up arenas, etc, he will bring it.

iSaYughh

Starter
what about Walker and Shawnee Williams,,,,

I don't see Walker doing shit for us this year, or getting any quality minutes barring injuries or total performance collapse by our guards.

He's in the third tier backup mix right now for the 2 and 3 spot, no?

Williams, ya, I forgot to add him to the depth chart, lol. I guess his value goes up some if Jordan sucks, and we play Jeffries more at the 5, and Williams then gets more play backing up Amare at the 4?