Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grace of Renaldo Balkman

Superstar

Default The Grace of Renaldo Balkman

I realise tonight will be focussed on Shumpert, and don't get me wrong he impressed immensely, however this topic will be dedicated to an unsung hero. Balkman was brilliant. I mean we all knew he could defend and that he was one tenacious Puerto Rican; what about his offense though? I think he's got more offensive talent than most of us initially believed. He needs to get serious minutes if these sort of displays become consistent. Maybe not a junk contract afterall (still early days though)

Two more issues that stand out:

1. Definitely definitely need a PG. Douglas is not it, and Bibby only makes for a decent backup

2. Fields picked up where he left off in the playoffs. Not good.

Still, it's pre-season. Get Baron Davis in and it's a wrap for the year me thinks.

Hahaha I was looking forward to a thread like this! Balkman impressed tonight for sure but I can't see him getting anything other than garbage minutes when the season starts.

MAYBE he can backup Melo for 8-10 minutes a night. But I've witnessed Jefferies score more 3's in a game than Balkman did tonight so I wouldn't bank on it

Nice game though was fun to see him going for it.

Superstar

Originally Posted by smokes
    Hahaha I was looking forward to a thread like this! Balkman impressed tonight for sure but I can't see him getting anything other than garbage minutes when the season starts.

MAYBE he can backup Melo for 8-10 minutes a night. But I've witnessed Jefferies score more 3's in a game than Balkman did tonight so I wouldn't bank on it

Nice game though was fun to see him going for it.

He's never gonna be anything special, but I think he should be trusted with minutes during the season. I also trust him over jeffries to make a clear path lay-up.

Shumbert was awesome....Balkmans best game i ever saw....Green i didn't care for the forced shots, same with Harrelson. I know he's a rook but come on, we learn young to pass when triple teamed...Yes, Douglas isn't it. Honestly, i'd put a trade on the table with TD and Fields (one or both) for a killer PG under 27. I don't see the big deal with Fields and TD. Both are backups IMO and neither deserves to start

Default This 19 will be Balkman's high for the year

Originally Posted by TakMan
    I realise tonight will be focussed on Shumpert, and don't get me wrong he impressed immensely, however this topic will be dedicated to an unsung hero. Balkman was brilliant. I mean we all knew he could defend and that he was one tenacious Puerto Rican; what about his offense though? I think he's got more offensive talent than most of us initially believed. He needs to get serious minutes if these sort of displays become consistent. Maybe not a junk contract afterall (still early days though)

Two more issues that stand out:

1. Definitely definitely need a PG. Douglas is not it, and Bibby only makes for a decent backup

2. Fields picked up where he left off in the playoffs. Not good.

Still, it's pre-season. Get Baron Davis in and it's a wrap for the year me thinks.
    Firstly..Carmelo and Amare got abbreviated time so Balkman got some minutes...he played well. Amare went out with 4 fouls and never played in the 4th Quarter.
    Shumpert is "the real deal" and should start.
    Harellson is a bit clumsy but he will be a work in progress with a ton of heart...
    Landry played well...needs some shots to fall. When they do his confidence will be back.
    Toney D should be what he was ...a back up.
    WE NEED A POINT GUARD whose is 6'8 like MAGIC...lol
    Nuances...Lopez really out played Chandler...but Chandler will be a force we need.
    The second team is very weak and this will show aganst the better teams....
    Sheldon Was no loss...but SHAWNE will be missed.
    I see the NORTHEAST ..just like it was...BOSTON is still the team to beat.
    How about this...Amare started where he left off which is trying to create off the dribble...not his game....he needs a NASH type PG.
    Lastly..a win is a win

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Balkman's awareness got better, and shot came from none existent to a potential decent shot. He'll be fine if he just play with energy and keep working hard. He should take this game as a confidence boost, but his role won't change from this one preseason game.

Superstar

Default Balkman

Balkman has in the past showed some game, but it was sporadic. He looked good today and given our lack of depth could be helpful. He deserves some minutes to see how consistent he can be.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; Dec 17, 2011 at 18:33. Reason: Typo

Veteran

It was just one game.

But in that one game, he did everything. He hustled, rebounded, and even made a few nice shots. If he seriously has a jumper, he could be a good backup 3 for us - we've talked about how we're thin at the forward spots, so this could help.

He made the most of the time he was given. Hopefully he can do the same thing with the 5-8 minutes he'll get in a given regular season game.

He'll certainly make more of his time than Jefferies will. I was embarrassed every time he touched the ball.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

He's been working hard in PR on his perimeter skills.

Balkman was my 2nd favorite Isiah player behind Ariza. So excited about 2012.

We look healthy guys.

if balkman gets more minutes well....

Veteran

I always appreciated Balkman's hustle. The fact that he was kind of an unknown always made things tough for him - he never got a serious chance to contribute. It's true that he's not much for a scorer but he's an excellent rebounder.

Superstar

Balkman always had the ability to put up decent stats. He was hitting a few 3s in his rookie debut as well, but that faded quickly.

He plays at a crazy pace and it looks like he's finally managing to slow it down and hold back when he needs to. If he can just play smarter, he'll be an asset just because he has the ability to change up a game with his hustle.

Ronaldo Balkman was a animal!He definitly deserved those MVP chants LOL

Balkman deserves a spot on the rotation after this game. I couldn't stand him for years because of his inability to score one foot from the hoop. But his offense has obviously improved. Add that with his defense which we all know is solid and his ability to rebound and you have a decent player off the bench.

I wouldn't make him a role player, but give him a couple minutes a game or bring him in when you need defense, rebounding, and hustling.