The Grace of Renaldo Balkman

nyk_nyk

All Star
Some of you guys get too hype off every little thing. This was a game where minutes were not distributed like they normally would be. Balkman played great but he didn't get better offensively. What he did well was move without the ball. He did a GREAT job of reading the defense and reacting to get himself in scoring position. He will hardly ever be on the court with Melo (our best passer) and when the season starts, the main guys will be getting their shot attempts.

I like what he did yesterday and agree he should get some minutes but his performance was not realistic for the long haul.

Sage

Rotation player
At the end of the day, if he (and others) can make open layups when Melo/Stat are double teamed, that's fine.

That's generally how he got his points.

Kiyaman

Legend
Balkman has been the Tazman since his rookie season....
Balkman type of performance has always been the....Malik Rose & Bowen for
Spurs, or the Horry, or Prince, or Battier doing all the other tangables to win.

The Knicks almost made the playoffs using a frontcourt lineup Curry/Lee/Balkman
in 2006-7 season. Balkman boxing-out helped David Lee grab a career 20 rebounds
in one game. I like the idea of Bibby/Shump/Taz starting the 2nd quarter.
Balkman offense performance need a pass-first PG so he could score within
10 feet of basket (he's not a jump shooter) put-backs, shots in the paint,
and alot of practice shooting foul-shots should be Balkman duties.
Balkman services would fit nice in certain Knicks frontcourt lineups....
Amare/Melo/Taz, or Tyson/Melo/Taz, or Tyson/Amare/Taz/Shump/Bibby.

When the season start....Im certain our headcoach will put Jefferies in the
lineup above while putting Balkman in 3rd tier lineups with players.....
Jordan/or Jorts/or Hunter/or Green/or Jefferies/or Fields/or Shump

I always admired his energy and felt that alone is a valuable attribute. His problem was not getting the quality minutes when we had him last time. He's not needed to carry the team but can help keep the tempo and energy at a high level. He'll keep the Garden fans cheering and his energy will inspire the rest of his teammates to keep up the pace.

skisloper

Starter
If Isiah did not draft Balkman in the first round there is a chance the guy could have gone undrafted and we never hear his name...

Not a single NBA team wanted him.

WE COULD NOT EVEN TRADE HIM .....

come on....Balkman deserves minutes ?

iSaYughh

Starter
If Isiah did not draft Balkman in the first round there....

Rajon Rondo would be a Knick, the queen would have balls and be the king, and Isiah Thomas wouldn't have had the skills to pound this franchise into the ground like Peter North in his prime.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
balkman's a career benchwarmer for crying out loud.

the man is the equavalent of ED offensively, and thats putting mildly.

no need to create a thread about this guy. when the season starts we'll kno where to find him.. right there at the end of the bench, warmin it up.

he hussles but so does JJ except hes 6'11". the guy does what he does in preseason. we've seen this before

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Exactly, maybe we'll knock out plenty of teams in Q3 already so Balkmania can get some nice garbage time? He won't be warming our bench alone though, there are at least three guys that won't see any playing time.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Balkman is what he's always been.

A good hustle player that can help out a team like ours that could use rebounding from the second unit.

That's what we should use him as, and I feel he can be very effective in that role.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
8 boards (3 of which were offensive rebounds), 6 points, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 1 assist in 16 minutes. His shooting stats - though atrocious- were no different to the rest of the team.
I mean he's legitimate enough to play over Jeffries :D

metrocard

Legend
Balkman has been the Tazman since his rookie season....
Balkman type of performance has always been the....Malik Rose & Bowen for
Spurs, or the Horry, or Prince, or Battier doing all the other tangables to win.

The Knicks almost made the playoffs using a frontcourt lineup Curry/Lee/Balkman
in 2006-7 season. Balkman boxing-out helped David Lee grab a career 20 rebounds
in one game. I like the idea of Bibby/Shump/Taz starting the 2nd quarter.
Balkman offense performance need a pass-first PG so he could score within
10 feet of basket (he's not a jump shooter) put-backs, shots in the paint,
and alot of practice shooting foul-shots should be Balkman duties.
Balkman services would fit nice in certain Knicks frontcourt lineups....
Amare/Melo/Taz, or Tyson/Melo/Taz, or Tyson/Amare/Taz/Shump/Bibby.

When the season start....Im certain our headcoach will put Jefferies in the
lineup above while putting Balkman in 3rd tier lineups with players.....
Jordan/or Jorts/or Hunter/or Green/or Jefferies/or Fields/or Shump

We were the few who knew about the truth of Balkman back in 2007.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
I mean he's legitimate enough to play over Jeffries :D
Haha...no doubt. :thumbsup:

I also remember his first stint in NY. He's an energy guy that can occasionally do what we've seen. But he's not in the rotation, especially MDA's if not for the schedule this year.

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
great energy guy. im loving his game. he plays well and efficient. crashes the boards, dives for the lose balls and comes up with the hustle play to get everyone going. basically a momentum shifter. looks like he's improved and ready to thrive under the opportunity. like what im seeing. definitely warrants minutes

skisloper

Starter
He's kinda doing what Fields did early last season. He's an important player.

You have to be kidding me.......

If you asked every NBA team if they would want Fields or Balkman right now every single team would take Fields....

we tried to get rid of Balkman...NO TAKERS...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
You have to be kidding me.......

If you asked every NBA team if they would want Fields or Balkman right now every single team would take Fields....

we tried to get rid of Balkman...NO TAKERS...
I'm a fan of Fields, but don't act like Fields has done anything that good other than about two and a half-three months. There are guys like Balkman who just never get the playing time for whatever reason.