The Grace of Renaldo Balkman

TakMan

Rotation player
I realise tonight will be focussed on Shumpert, and don't get me wrong he impressed immensely, however this topic will be dedicated to an unsung hero. Balkman was brilliant. I mean we all knew he could defend and that he was one tenacious Puerto Rican; what about his offense though? I think he's got more offensive talent than most of us initially believed. He needs to get serious minutes if these sort of displays become consistent. Maybe not a junk contract afterall (still early days though)

Two more issues that stand out:

1. Definitely definitely need a PG. Douglas is not it, and Bibby only makes for a decent backup

2. Fields picked up where he left off in the playoffs. Not good.

Still, it's pre-season. Get Baron Davis in and it's a wrap for the year me thinks.

smokes

Huge Member
Hahaha I was looking forward to a thread like this! Balkman impressed tonight for sure but I can't see him getting anything other than garbage minutes when the season starts.

MAYBE he can backup Melo for 8-10 minutes a night. But I've witnessed Jefferies score more 3's in a game than Balkman did tonight so I wouldn't bank on it ;)

Nice game though was fun to see him going for it.

TakMan

Rotation player
Hahaha I was looking forward to a thread like this! Balkman impressed tonight for sure but I can't see him getting anything other than garbage minutes when the season starts.

MAYBE he can backup Melo for 8-10 minutes a night. But I've witnessed Jefferies score more 3's in a game than Balkman did tonight so I wouldn't bank on it ;)

Nice game though was fun to see him going for it.

He's never gonna be anything special, but I think he should be trusted with minutes during the season. I also trust him over jeffries to make a clear path lay-up.

petescud

Starter
Shumbert was awesome....Balkmans best game i ever saw....Green i didn't care for the forced shots, same with Harrelson. I know he's a rook but come on, we learn young to pass when triple teamed...Yes, Douglas isn't it. Honestly, i'd put a trade on the table with TD and Fields (one or both) for a killer PG under 27. I don't see the big deal with Fields and TD. Both are backups IMO and neither deserves to start

DrB

Benchwarmer
This 19 will be Balkman's high for the year

I realise tonight will be focussed on Shumpert, and don't get me wrong he impressed immensely, however this topic will be dedicated to an unsung hero. Balkman was brilliant. I mean we all knew he could defend and that he was one tenacious Puerto Rican; what about his offense though? I think he's got more offensive talent than most of us initially believed. He needs to get serious minutes if these sort of displays become consistent. Maybe not a junk contract afterall (still early days though)

Two more issues that stand out:

1. Definitely definitely need a PG. Douglas is not it, and Bibby only makes for a decent backup

2. Fields picked up where he left off in the playoffs. Not good.

Still, it's pre-season. Get Baron Davis in and it's a wrap for the year me thinks.
Firstly..Carmelo and Amare got abbreviated time so Balkman got some minutes...he played well. Amare went out with 4 fouls and never played in the 4th Quarter.
Shumpert is "the real deal" and should start.:thumbsup:
Harellson is a bit clumsy but he will be a work in progress with a ton of heart...:crossfingers:
Landry played well...needs some shots to fall. When they do his confidence will be back.
Toney D should be what he was ...a back up.:agreed:
WE NEED A POINT GUARD whose is 6'8 like MAGIC...lol
Nuances...Lopez really out played Chandler...but Chandler will be a force we need.
The second team is very weak and this will show aganst the better teams....
Sheldon Was no loss...but SHAWNE will be missed.
I see the NORTHEAST ..just like it was...BOSTON is still the team to beat.
How about this...Amare started where he left off which is trying to create off the dribble...not his game....he needs a NASH type PG.
Lastly..a win is a win

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Balkman's awareness got better, and shot came from none existent to a potential decent shot. He'll be fine if he just play with energy and keep working hard. He should take this game as a confidence boost, but his role won't change from this one preseason game.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Balkman

Balkman has in the past showed some game, but it was sporadic. He looked good today and given our lack of depth could be helpful. He deserves some minutes to see how consistent he can be.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It was just one game.

But in that one game, he did everything. He hustled, rebounded, and even made a few nice shots. If he seriously has a jumper, he could be a good backup 3 for us - we've talked about how we're thin at the forward spots, so this could help.

Sage

Rotation player
He made the most of the time he was given. Hopefully he can do the same thing with the 5-8 minutes he'll get in a given regular season game.

He'll certainly make more of his time than Jefferies will. I was embarrassed every time he touched the ball.

metrocard

Legend
He's been working hard in PR on his perimeter skills.

Balkman was my 2nd favorite Isiah player behind Ariza. So excited about 2012.

We look healthy guys.

Wargames

Starter
if balkman gets more minutes well....

Popcorn-13-Bill-Walker.gif

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I always appreciated Balkman's hustle. The fact that he was kind of an unknown always made things tough for him - he never got a serious chance to contribute. It's true that he's not much for a scorer but he's an excellent rebounder.

iJoe

Rotation player
Balkman always had the ability to put up decent stats. He was hitting a few 3s in his rookie debut as well, but that faded quickly.

He plays at a crazy pace and it looks like he's finally managing to slow it down and hold back when he needs to. If he can just play smarter, he'll be an asset just because he has the ability to change up a game with his hustle.

Paul1355

All Star
Balkman deserves a spot on the rotation after this game. I couldn't stand him for years because of his inability to score one foot from the hoop. But his offense has obviously improved. Add that with his defense which we all know is solid and his ability to rebound and you have a decent player off the bench.

I wouldn't make him a role player, but give him a couple minutes a game or bring him in when you need defense, rebounding, and hustling.

finestrg

Rotation player
Balk's performance was a real eye-opener yesterday. I agree with what some of you guys are saying -- I don't think it's that he never had an offensive game, I think it's more that he was never given a real shot and any leeway to show what he could really do.

I mean can he possibly have a role on this team now? I for one never thought so, but after yesterday, hey, maybe man. Dude did it all -- that jumper does look improved -- question is 'how much'? Is it a go-to weapon now? iJoe's right -- he's always had one..He did take and make a few 3s during his 1st tour with the Knicks under Isiah but Oldtimer's right too -- it was sporadic back then at best. Balk taking 3s back then felt more like a gag reel. Now it looks more serious. Looked pretty solid shooting FTs too, showing nice touch and form at the line.

Again, I thought this guy was a waste and like everyone else, wanted him off the team asap -- not so sure now. I think I was wrong...He might be able to help us. Tell you what: if this guy can provide a little scoring now along with his trademark hustle/defense/rebounding run-the-floor/push-the-ball approach (dude surprisingly has a decent handle too -- he actually has the ability to rebound the ball and run the break, even showing the ability to go coast to coast and finish it all by himself on ocassion), he might have some value. Gotta be what Mike's thinking after witnessing his performance against the Nets. Maybe the Shawne Williams replacement has been right under our noses the whole time. I wanna see him get the same amount of playing time Wed. night. We need to see how much of an impact he has on the game for another lengthy stretch. Dude can impact the game in a lot of ways, esp. if he can score the ball now a little bit. Can't wait to see more.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean - at worst, Balkman can't be worse than Jared Jeffries, who is the guy we would most likely be putting in as a backup 3...give him a shot.

skisloper

Starter
as soon as you write Jeffries off the draws that offensive foul and does it with risking his spiny body ...fearless...

as for Balkman.....they did not guard him and showed him no respect....every basket was an open lay up due to a sweet pass.....he was open because they did not guard him...

come on only jeffries would have missed those lay-ups.

jnuh

Rookie
As much as I would love for Balkman to contribute quality play to the Knicks ....

Reality sets in and I realize the truth of the matter is it was a meaningless pre season game. He hasn't developed a decent offensive game after 5 or 6 years of being a ham and egger he just had some open shots fall. He is a pro and every once in a while he could get hot and hit some open jumpers. I'll be a believer in him if he does it during the regular season, and over the span of a couple of months. I can't forget about his first 5 crap seasons because he had a good pre season game against a weak team.

As much as I hate JJ he still definitly deserves more minutes then Balkman as a back up F/C

I don't mean to come off negative, but reality is reality.