Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grace of Renaldo Balkman

Superstar

Balk's performance was a real eye-opener yesterday. I agree with what some of you guys are saying -- I don't think it's that he never had an offensive game, I think it's more that he was never given a real shot and any leeway to show what he could really do.

I mean can he possibly have a role on this team now? I for one never thought so, but after yesterday, hey, maybe man. Dude did it all -- that jumper does look improved -- question is 'how much'? Is it a go-to weapon now? iJoe's right -- he's always had one..He did take and make a few 3s during his 1st tour with the Knicks under Isiah but Oldtimer's right too -- it was sporadic back then at best. Balk taking 3s back then felt more like a gag reel. Now it looks more serious. Looked pretty solid shooting FTs too, showing nice touch and form at the line.

Again, I thought this guy was a waste and like everyone else, wanted him off the team asap -- not so sure now. I think I was wrong...He might be able to help us. Tell you what: if this guy can provide a little scoring now along with his trademark hustle/defense/rebounding run-the-floor/push-the-ball approach (dude surprisingly has a decent handle too -- he actually has the ability to rebound the ball and run the break, even showing the ability to go coast to coast and finish it all by himself on ocassion), he might have some value. Gotta be what Mike's thinking after witnessing his performance against the Nets. Maybe the Shawne Williams replacement has been right under our noses the whole time. I wanna see him get the same amount of playing time Wed. night. We need to see how much of an impact he has on the game for another lengthy stretch. Dude can impact the game in a lot of ways, esp. if he can score the ball now a little bit. Can't wait to see more.

Veteran

I mean - at worst, Balkman can't be worse than Jared Jeffries, who is the guy we would most likely be putting in as a backup 3...give him a shot.

Default Who didn't LOVE the Balkman MVP chants?

#1 LOL moment

Veteran

as soon as you write Jeffries off the draws that offensive foul and does it with risking his spiny body ...fearless...

as for Balkman.....they did not guard him and showed him no respect....every basket was an open lay up due to a sweet pass.....he was open because they did not guard him...

come on only jeffries would have missed those lay-ups.

As much as I would love for Balkman to contribute quality play to the Knicks ....

Reality sets in and I realize the truth of the matter is it was a meaningless pre season game. He hasn't developed a decent offensive game after 5 or 6 years of being a ham and egger he just had some open shots fall. He is a pro and every once in a while he could get hot and hit some open jumpers. I'll be a believer in him if he does it during the regular season, and over the span of a couple of months. I can't forget about his first 5 crap seasons because he had a good pre season game against a weak team.

As much as I hate JJ he still definitly deserves more minutes then Balkman as a back up F/C

I don't mean to come off negative, but reality is reality.

Some of you guys get too hype off every little thing. This was a game where minutes were not distributed like they normally would be. Balkman played great but he didn't get better offensively. What he did well was move without the ball. He did a GREAT job of reading the defense and reacting to get himself in scoring position. He will hardly ever be on the court with Melo (our best passer) and when the season starts, the main guys will be getting their shot attempts.

I like what he did yesterday and agree he should get some minutes but his performance was not realistic for the long haul.

At the end of the day, if he (and others) can make open layups when Melo/Stat are double teamed, that's fine.

That's generally how he got his points.

yep, that...and its also preseason...

Originally Posted by Sage
    At the end of the day, if he (and others) can make open layups when Melo/Stat are double teamed, that's fine.

That's generally how he got his points.

Veteran

Balkman has been the Tazman since his rookie season....
    Balkman type of performance has always been the....Malik Rose & Bowen for
    Spurs, or the Horry, or Prince, or Battier doing all the other tangables to win.

The Knicks almost made the playoffs using a frontcourt lineup Curry/Lee/Balkman
    in 2006-7 season. Balkman boxing-out helped David Lee grab a career 20 rebounds
    in one game. I like the idea of Bibby/Shump/Taz starting the 2nd quarter.
    Balkman offense performance need a pass-first PG so he could score within
    10 feet of basket (he's not a jump shooter) put-backs, shots in the paint,
    and alot of practice shooting foul-shots should be Balkman duties.
    Balkman services would fit nice in certain Knicks frontcourt lineups....
    Amare/Melo/Taz, or Tyson/Melo/Taz, or Tyson/Amare/Taz/Shump/Bibby.

When the season start....Im certain our headcoach will put Jefferies in the
    lineup above while putting Balkman in 3rd tier lineups with players.....
    Jordan/or Jorts/or Hunter/or Green/or Jefferies/or Fields/or Shump

Veteran

I always admired his energy and felt that alone is a valuable attribute. His problem was not getting the quality minutes when we had him last time. He's not needed to carry the team but can help keep the tempo and energy at a high level. He'll keep the Garden fans cheering and his energy will inspire the rest of his teammates to keep up the pace.

Veteran

If Isiah did not draft Balkman in the first round there is a chance the guy could have gone undrafted and we never hear his name...

Not a single NBA team wanted him.

WE COULD NOT EVEN TRADE HIM .....

come on....Balkman deserves minutes ?

Originally Posted by nixon7
    #1 LOL moment
    LMAO that was hysterical.

Veteran

Originally Posted by skisloper
    If Isiah did not draft Balkman in the first round there....
    Rajon Rondo would be a Knick, the queen would have balls and be the king, and Isiah Thomas wouldn't have had the skills to pound this franchise into the ground like Peter North in his prime.

balkman's a career benchwarmer for crying out loud.

the man is the equavalent of ED offensively, and thats putting mildly.

no need to create a thread about this guy. when the season starts we'll kno where to find him.. right there at the end of the bench, warmin it up.

he hussles but so does JJ except hes 6'11". the guy does what he does in preseason. we've seen this before

Exactly, maybe we'll knock out plenty of teams in Q3 already so Balkmania can get some nice garbage time? He won't be warming our bench alone though, there are at least three guys that won't see any playing time.
    Last edited by Lercher; Dec 20, 2011 at 08:34.