Most likely guard to step up on offense? Fields, Bibby, Douglas, or Shumpert?

???

• Mike Bibby

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Toney Douglas

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Landry Fields

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Iman Shumpert

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

KingCharles34

All Star
Im trying to figure out who the biggest x-factor will be for the knicks. We have a good idea of what Amare, Melo, and Chandler bring for us. But with the guards, we dont know for sure what we have except with Bibby. Will Fields have a bigger role in the offense this year? Will Douglas be able to step his game up? And anytime your dealing with a rookie, you dont know exactly what your gonna get from him (Shumpert). I believe all 4 of them will contribute in some way, but to what extent? The more the Knicks can get from them, the farther they will go.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I think Iman is gonna play a BIG role for the Knicks this year. The kid is a hard worker and full of confidence. The more I see him play, the more I'm liking him. Shump-Shump is my X-factor for the Knicks :thumbsup:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
As much as I like Shumpert, I think Bibby is going to have the most overall effect on the team. Bibby is the best shooter we've got, he's a veteran PG who can keep the offense moving unlike TD or Shumpert or any of our other guys.

I think he's going to be our most underrated signing (in the event that we don't get Baron Davis, of course).

I think Shump is the X-Factor for us, I'm not saying this just based on the 1st preseason game but everytime the dude touched the ball he was very aggressive, and hes the kind of player that will give you 100% effort on both sides of the court. I love fields but he can't create his own shot or slash into the paint like shumpert. Shumpert is a defensive minded player as well.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Fields HAS to step up.

I like Mike Bibby. Great court-vision, accurate shooting, good hustle. He looks to be able to make a great impression.

Oh wait, what year is it again? Ah, damn.

I still like Bibby, but he's no longer starting material. Comparing him and Douglas, it's hard to tell who the second stringer is. Man, I miss Billups already. In this scenario, the Knicks are gambling on guards (and... I can't tell how what shape the bench is).

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I'm curious how Toney will stop his natural willingness to score three pointers. He'll be creating more ball movement and try to deliver, but we all know how killing he can be when left wide open. Shumpert will be our scorer, he'll also be okay guarding another point guard who's 3-4" shorter, but I don't think he'll be able to play enough defense at #2 against guys like Wade. Bibby didn't show a lot yesterday, but he's new to the team, give him credit. Landry has to work on his shooting, he drives too much, somebody has to tell him he isn't D-Wade or Kobe...

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I think Shumpert should start at the 2-spot rather than Landry. Iman seems to be more compatible with Melo, STAT, and Chandler compared to Fields. During the first half of last season, Landry was able to thrive on offense by being aggressive and persistent on the boards. Not sure if he can be as effective with a pretty good rebounding frontcourt.

Landry can be more effective with the second unit of Bibby, Balkman(?), Jorts, and Jeffries. That 2nd unit seemed to work well. Unless Landry can prove he can shoot the jumper consistently, I say put Shumpert in the starting lineup

I think Shumpert should start at the 2-spot rather than Landry. Iman seems to be more compatible with Melo, STAT, and Chandler compared to Fields. During the first half of last season, Landry was able to thrive on offense by being aggressive and persistent on the boards. Not sure if he can be as effective with a pretty good rebounding frontcourt.

Landry can be more effective with the second unit of Bibby, Balkman(?), Jorts, and Jeffries. That 2nd unit seemed to work well. Unless Landry can prove he can shoot the jumper consistently, I say put Shumpert in the starting lineup

I agree I think Shumpert should start he brings more to the table on both ends of the court. Laundry is a great rebounding SG but now that we have chandler I think he will be needed more in the 2nd unit boards wise. I'm going to give the shooting edge to shumpert because he can spot up, drive, take u off the dribble, and score in so many different ways compared to fields, and shump can str8 out play D.

@Dzwonsson why woudlent we put shumpert on Wade???????? you do know shumpert is 6"5 right? hes an inch taller than wade.

DrB

Benchwarmer
I agree...SHUMPERT will be the answer

I think we need to work with what we have RIGHT NOW. Actually I don't know much about BARON forgetting his disc injury about him as a fit. Chandler says YES..Amare says NO. I say after what we spent on Curry taking a risk on Baon for 1.2 million toward his amnesty is worth a shot.
So as of now the back court PG position is a bigger issue than a power forward to back up Amare. And that's if everyone stays healthy.
Therefore, We have 2 choices...Shumpert's skill sets in the starting five as shooting Guard or a 6th man bringing energy and instant offense. That will be a work in progress this season. That would mean Landry becomes a role player with the second unit.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Whoever it is they need to adjust to their role soon.

As much as I like Shumpert, I think Bibby is going to have the most overall effect on the team. Bibby is the best shooter we've got, he's a veteran PG who can keep the offense moving unlike TD or Shumpert or any of our other guys.

I think he's going to be our most underrated signing (in the event that we don't get Baron Davis, of course).

I agree with you there. Interesting to see how Bibby would cope with this cluttered season of back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice thread, KS3!

After 1 - repeat, 1! - preseason game, if you had to choose the guards that looked the most poised and well adapted to playing with the team, you would have to say Bibby and Shumpert.

Shumpert in particular looked in the best game condition by far. You have to take in to account his excitement as a rookie playing in uniform for the first time, though. Other players were a little lax, including Chandler and Melo.

Give it 10 games - assuming each of the 4 are given enough PT to establish a role - and we'll see.

I find it puzzling that people have already burned bridges with Fields and TD after the Nets win.

Lastly, we need to come out of the gates firing. 3rd seed is within our grasp this year, and we need the 3 V 6 first semi as opposed to 4 V 5. With that in mind, our backcourt has to be definitively polished earlier rather than later.

skisloper

Starter
My vote is Iman at the point......alot of the offense will run through melo...
We know we are making the playoffs....not the question is winning a title....we will not win with TD at the point.....his Bball IQ is just not there

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Dzwonsson why woudlent we put shumpert on Wade???????? you do know shumpert is 6"5 right? hes an inch taller than wade.
Do you really think that Shump can do anything against a guard that is able to posterize a 6'10 center or block a 6'11 four times NBA champion? Believe me, if you've got Wade standing against you the only thing you can hope for is that he takes a midrange jumper, misses and you can grab a rebound. Shump can guard Deron, Nash, Rose, Paul or Rondo, but not guys like Wade or Kobe, because they're "unguardable". If you know how to guard this guy, call Knicks right now:

Paul1355

All Star
Shumpert reminds me of Rondo with a better shot. This guy can play. He might fall in love with the jumpshot but once he hits it the confidence will soar and he will start driving and DUNKING on people which we have yet to see.

Douglas will be douglas, hitting three's but missing many shots, not doing much with the passing ans missing cutters and open men. He missed Chandler ten times last game when he was open and is so bad at passing in transition.

Bibby just has to hit the open shot. His passing is better than I thought. As long as he plays decent defense and hits the open shot, then he should be good.

Fields will improve. He looked really good, especially on defense in the last game. I think he had a couple steals and a bunch of rebounds. He isn't shooting to much but is making good choices on offense.
Fields would be the X factor if Shumpert wasn't on the team.

Shumpert is the x factor because he can be our sixth man. He can play the point and the 2 guard spot and make a difference guarding anyone in the league. He played well against D Will for a rookie.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I voted for The Shumpert

but I agree that The Fields will also step it up, and I am vengeful and wrathful that he has zero votes on this poll.

Careful or I will be sickin' The Marija Kero on you doubters.....

Last edited: