Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 89

Thread: Baron Davis is a Knick

  1. #16
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    What i dont understand is.. if cleveland is paying him salary difference... why are we giving him 2.5 whe we could of just gave him the vet min????

    mind boggling....or am i missing something... could we save that for another free agent not amestied
    I think other teams out there (the Lakers?) might also have been interested in BD (I just read on someone's twitter account that we gave him a 1-yr, $2.5M deal). You know the Heat were also said to be interested --remember there was talk that Dan Gilbert was all worried that Davis would go to the Heat and he didn't want to help Lebron win a title...We lost out on Shawne Williams because we didn't come strong with our best offer right away. They probably didn't wanna see that happen again...Thinking about this just now -- maybe if we gave Shawne Williams the room exception, we don't even have a shot at Davis right now. I think Davis is more vital --- esp. if Renaldo Balkman truly has improved and proves he can fill in behind Melo.
    Last edited by finestrg; Dec 18, 2011 at 15:30.

  2. #17
    Superstar MSGhobo247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MSG
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    This news made me have to change my underwear. The rest of the league has to do the same but for a different reason.

    Can't wait for him to start playing and for NBA 2K12 to update the rosters.

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smithtown
    Posts
    257
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    Nice. We could definitely use him. I was afraid that STAT's comments from the other day might interfere with him signing here but I guess not. If he comes in humble and ready to play he can have a huge impact. A forgotten part of this guy's game is his passing. The first thing most of us think about is this guy's one-on-one play and his scoring ability but he's always been a very good playmaker/assist man. One of the league's best in fact. The offense will run a lot smoother with this guy at the controls over Toney Douglas. It just doesn't come naturally to Toney. He's a very mechanical PG that thinks way too much and misses so much going on out there. He just doesn't see things as they develop...I feel bad because I like Toney and I know he's trying. He's just not a natural PG. Never has been, probably never will be.

    Say this is true and we grab Baron and he comes back in a couple of weeks healthy from the back issues -- what happens then? Who's PT gets cut? TD's, because he has constant trouble running the team at the point (and he's an undersized 2)? Bibby's because he's new to the team and has slowed down a lot? Shump's because he's a rookie? Walker's because he's hurt and he's never been that effective anyway? I wonder if this sets up another trade eventually -- maybe something built around TD for a real legit backup 2 or a backup big? I mean you don't bring in Baron Davis not to play him as long as he's healthy. If he can go, he's gonna play. Big upgrade at the point -- he may have been an upgrade over Billups if Chauncey were still here... He won't even have to put 20-25 shots up like he's done in the past -- just concentrate on running the team, knock down open/high % looks and play a little defense...We'll figure it out. This guy came into Cleveland and fit in like a glove next to all their young players late last year..He's adaptable...I like the options we're gonna have now..No brainer. Nice job!
    Take Shumpert out of that question..he is not a PG plus he is going no where as he is a potential super star. Bibby is going no where as he's under contract and has the experience for big moments. And TD is still a work in progress...Baron got 2.5 million as it was the max offer after waivers..we pay Chauncey and Cleveland pay BARON..I love it.

  4. #19
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Dammit glen grunwald for GM of the year and tale out that interim from his title. Also give Donnie a lifetime achievement award. Also I went to the blue and orange scrimmage and you would see Woodson really coaching defense .... Knocks are going to surprise the whole league this year if they can stay healthy.

  5. #20
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by DrB
    Take Shumpert out of that question..he is not a PG plus he is going no where as he is a potential super star. Bibby is going no where as he's under contract and has the experience for big moments. And TD is still a work in progress...Baron got 2.5 million as it was the max offer after waivers..we pay Chauncey and Cleveland pay BARON..I love it.
    I think you're right on Shump, although with this coach, you never know. Plays some rookies, doesn't play others (Jordan Hill). I agree with you though Doc -- Shump's gotta play, even if it's off the ball at the 2. Even Mike's gotta see that. Kid's talent level AND athletic ability is sky-high..Maybe Davis cuts into Fields' PT. I hope not. I think Davis could jumpstart Fields here. We'll have to see. Gun to my head, I think it might pave the way for us to deal TD+ for another useful piece.

  6. #21
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Great news, 4 stars starting for us.

    Baron still has it on offense, he torched us at the Garden last season when he was with Cleveland, do you remember?

    His defense is a huge question mark though.

    Still, we're looking good.

    Conference Finals here we come!

  7. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    I think other teams out there (the Lakers?) might also have been interested in BD (I just read on someone's twitter account that we gave him a 1-yr, $2.5M deal). You know the Heat were also said to be interested --remember there was talk that Dan Gilbert was all worried that Davis would go to the Heat and he didn't want to help Lebron win a title...We lost out on Shawne Williams because we didn't come strong with our best offer right away. They probably didn't wanna see that happen again...Thinking about this just now -- maybe if we gave Shawne Williams the room exception, we don't even have a shot at Davis right now. I think Davis is more vital --- esp. if Renaldo Balkman truly has improved and proves he can fill in behind Melo.

    i get that but under the amensty rule.. a player that is waived cannot make more monry than the contract he was waived from.. so why give cleveland a break.. thats the part i dont get.. no matter waht we or other teams paid him.. he could only make what was owed to him form clevlend

  8. #23
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    i get that but under the amensty rule.. a player that is waived cannot make more monry than the contract he was waived from.. so why give cleveland a break.. thats the part i dont get.. no matter waht we or other teams paid him.. he could only make what was owed to him form clevlend
    i believe that since he cleared waivers that 2.5 million is on top of what he made. Also take a step back everyone and remember we are talking millions of dollars. Making 2.5 more is not something to sneeze at.

    on a side note do you guys Know RIP Hamilton is making 16 million this year to play for the Bulls and then basically downgrading to the MLE over arguably what will be the last 2 years of his career. That guys agent is a smart mofo to get him that deal

  9. #24
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    i get that but under the amensty rule.. a player that is waived cannot make more monry than the contract he was waived from.. so why give cleveland a break.. thats the part i dont get.. no matter waht we or other teams paid him.. he could only make what was owed to him form clevlend
    My interpretation was in the amnesty you could not use room under the cap you did not have. We signed BD with a minimum exception that we had, something we could not have used to sign BD in the amnesty auction.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    i get that but under the amensty rule.. a player that is waived cannot make more monry than the contract he was waived from.. so why give cleveland a break.. thats the part i dont get.. no matter waht we or other teams paid him.. he could only make what was owed to him form clevlend
    If you think about it, a rule like that would be an incentive for all those unclaimed amnestied players to sign wherever they want for the minimum, which would only help contenders and big markets (kind of not the idea). With that in mind, I think WARGAMES is correct.

  11. #26
    Member JazRedGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Great signing by the Knicks and the STAT comments was all a farce to throw the scent off the trail of hating ass teams. If STAT hadn't said that there would have been a number of teams trying to claim him just to spoil our plans. I could see Minnesotta claiming another PG just to screw us even harder. ****in losers!

  12. #27
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by JazRedGT
    Great signing by the Knicks and the STAT comments was all a farce to throw the scent off the trail of hating ass teams. If STAT hadn't said that there would have been a number of teams trying to claim him just to spoil our plans. I could see Minnesotta claiming another PG just to screw us even harder. ****in losers!
    GOOD CALL. I was thinking the same thing before. Could be bro. LOL about Minny too..WTF is Kahn doing out there? That's not a team, it's a PG collection!!

  13. #28
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    GOOD CALL. I was thinking the same thing before. Could be bro. LOL about Minny too..WTF is Kahn doing out there? That's not a team, it's a PG collection!!
    you guys might think i'm crazy but Adelman is going to coach those boys to the playoffs. They're a young team with depth and an above average coach, so they should do ok.

  14. #29
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I can see why we signed Baron, but Knicks need to pay a nutritionist for him.

    Better keep dude away from the Halal Cart on 54th.

  15. #30

    Default

    Twitter Is Swaying My Thoughts On Baron

    1st Off This Pic Was Taking Last Month, He's In Shape

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    He's Played More Then 65 Games A Year The Past 3 Years

    Last Season He Averaged 14 & 6

    The Past 3 Seasons He's Averaging About 16 Points 8 Assists

    Baron Aint Fall Off, Its Just No One Pays Attention To His Wack Ass Teams Anymore

    OK Im On Board...Do It Dolan, Roll Them Dice :clap:
    Last edited by KnicksWithTheKnack; Dec 18, 2011 at 21:13.

Similar Threads

  1. Baron Davis could be a Knick by Friday
    By knicksin60 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Dec 14, 2011, 20:57
  2. 1999 Eastern Conference Champions or Baron Davis
    By dave2138 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 17, 2010, 23:59
  3. Baron Davis to be a Clipper
    By jpz17 in forum NBA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 02, 2008, 11:05
  4. Baron davis wants to play for the knicks
    By Simonus in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jul 02, 2008, 01:05
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 25, 2005, 18:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •