Baron Davis is a Knick

KBlack25

Starter
@ESPNSteinLine Mark Stein Just going up on ESPN com: Sources say Baron Davis has committed to sign with Knicks. Link on the way

Paul1355

All Star
@ESPNSteinLine Mark Stein Just going up on ESPN com: Sources say Baron Davis has committed to sign with Knicks. Link on the way

good signing, let's hope we can see who can be the best backup PG.

Once Davis is healthy I see Bibby and Shumpert playing PG.

I think TD is done at PG once Davis is healthy.

finestrg

Rotation player
Nice. We could definitely use him. I was afraid that STAT's comments from the other day might interfere with him signing here but I guess not. If he comes in humble and ready to play he can have a huge impact. A forgotten part of this guy's game is his passing. The first thing most of us think about is this guy's one-on-one play and his scoring ability but he's always been a very good playmaker/assist man. One of the league's best in fact. The offense will run a lot smoother with this guy at the controls over Toney Douglas. It just doesn't come naturally to Toney. He's a very mechanical PG that thinks way too much and misses so much going on out there. He just doesn't see things as they develop...I feel bad because I like Toney and I know he's trying. He's just not a natural PG. Never has been, probably never will be.

Say this is true and we grab Baron and he comes back in a couple of weeks healthy from the back issues -- what happens then? Who's PT gets cut? TD's, because he has constant trouble running the team at the point (and he's an undersized 2)? Bibby's because he's new to the team and has slowed down a lot? Shump's because he's a rookie? Walker's because he's hurt and he's never been that effective anyway? I wonder if this sets up another trade eventually -- maybe something built around TD for a real legit backup 2 or a backup big? I mean you don't bring in Baron Davis not to play him as long as he's healthy. If he can go, he's gonna play. Big upgrade at the point -- he may have been an upgrade over Billups if Chauncey were still here... He won't even have to put 20-25 shots up like he's done in the past -- just concentrate on running the team, knock down open/high % looks and play a little defense...We'll figure it out. This guy came into Cleveland and fit in like a glove next to all their young players late last year..He's adaptable...I like the options we're gonna have now..No brainer. Nice job!

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
Everyone is believing this Informaton HOWEVER, checking out ESPN, Yahoo Sports etc . I have not seen this deal reported on and the original post says LINK COMING!!!!! I saw the Link...WOWEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
Lol, minimum salary for a vet playing around for 10+ years is $1,352,181. ;)[/quoteThank you as I saw JJ and Bibby signed for the minimum Veterans Salary and it was what you said...lol. TY Any link to the Baron Davis signing?

moneyg

Starter
Lol, minimum salary for a vet playing around for 10+ years is $1,352,181. ;)

What i dont understand is.. if cleveland is paying him salary difference... why are we giving him 2.5 whe we could of just gave him the vet min????

mind boggling....or am i missing something... could we save that for another free agent not amestied

skisloper

Starter
What i dont understand is.. if cleveland is paying him salary difference... why are we giving him 2.5 whe we could of just gave him the vet min????

mind boggling....or am i missing something... could we save that for another free agent not amestied

Probably the usual Knicks MGMT showing weakness.......Maybe Davis wanted to see who was willing to offer him more despite it not making a difference to him..

with that said I think in a shortened season a guy like Baron Davis for one year can only help and maybe help alot....downside is we do not play him if he sucks...

worth the risk....

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@moneyg: rich wanna get richer, there is no other player that is available, committed to play for the Knicks and that we need. Why should we keep our room MLE rights? Baron was the last addition to our roster this offseason. Are you worried about Dolan's financial situation? :D

finestrg

Rotation player

I think other teams out there (the Lakers?) might also have been interested in BD (I just read on someone's twitter account that we gave him a 1-yr, $2.5M deal). You know the Heat were also said to be interested --remember there was talk that Dan Gilbert was all worried that Davis would go to the Heat and he didn't want to help Lebron win a title...We lost out on Shawne Williams because we didn't come strong with our best offer right away. They probably didn't wanna see that happen again...Thinking about this just now -- maybe if we gave Shawne Williams the room exception, we don't even have a shot at Davis right now. I think Davis is more vital --- esp. if Renaldo Balkman truly has improved and proves he can fill in behind Melo.

Last edited:

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
This news made me have to change my underwear. The rest of the league has to do the same but for a different reason.

Can't wait for him to start playing and for NBA 2K12 to update the rosters.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Nice. We could definitely use him. I was afraid that STAT's comments from the other day might interfere with him signing here but I guess not. If he comes in humble and ready to play he can have a huge impact. A forgotten part of this guy's game is his passing. The first thing most of us think about is this guy's one-on-one play and his scoring ability but he's always been a very good playmaker/assist man. One of the league's best in fact. The offense will run a lot smoother with this guy at the controls over Toney Douglas. It just doesn't come naturally to Toney. He's a very mechanical PG that thinks way too much and misses so much going on out there. He just doesn't see things as they develop...I feel bad because I like Toney and I know he's trying. He's just not a natural PG. Never has been, probably never will be.

Say this is true and we grab Baron and he comes back in a couple of weeks healthy from the back issues -- what happens then? Who's PT gets cut? TD's, because he has constant trouble running the team at the point (and he's an undersized 2)? Bibby's because he's new to the team and has slowed down a lot? Shump's because he's a rookie? Walker's because he's hurt and he's never been that effective anyway? I wonder if this sets up another trade eventually -- maybe something built around TD for a real legit backup 2 or a backup big? I mean you don't bring in Baron Davis not to play him as long as he's healthy. If he can go, he's gonna play. Big upgrade at the point -- he may have been an upgrade over Billups if Chauncey were still here... He won't even have to put 20-25 shots up like he's done in the past -- just concentrate on running the team, knock down open/high % looks and play a little defense...We'll figure it out. This guy came into Cleveland and fit in like a glove next to all their young players late last year..He's adaptable...I like the options we're gonna have now..No brainer. Nice job!

Take Shumpert out of that question..he is not a PG plus he is going no where as he is a potential super star. Bibby is going no where as he's under contract and has the experience for big moments. And TD is still a work in progress...Baron got 2.5 million as it was the max offer after waivers..we pay Chauncey and Cleveland pay BARON..I love it.

Wargames

Starter
Dammit glen grunwald for GM of the year and tale out that interim from his title. Also give Donnie a lifetime achievement award. Also I went to the blue and orange scrimmage and you would see Woodson really coaching defense .... Knocks are going to surprise the whole league this year if they can stay healthy.

finestrg

Rotation player
Take Shumpert out of that question..he is not a PG plus he is going no where as he is a potential super star. Bibby is going no where as he's under contract and has the experience for big moments. And TD is still a work in progress...Baron got 2.5 million as it was the max offer after waivers..we pay Chauncey and Cleveland pay BARON..I love it.

I think you're right on Shump, although with this coach, you never know. Plays some rookies, doesn't play others (Jordan Hill). I agree with you though Doc -- Shump's gotta play, even if it's off the ball at the 2. Even Mike's gotta see that. Kid's talent level AND athletic ability is sky-high..Maybe Davis cuts into Fields' PT. I hope not. I think Davis could jumpstart Fields here. We'll have to see. Gun to my head, I think it might pave the way for us to deal TD+ for another useful piece.