Was Baron Davis' back injury exxageratted to get him to a team he wanted to go to?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Reading reports he could be back in a month.... this the difference between him missing 16 games of the season and possibly half the season, was this mis-information from his agent to scare off a team with the money to make the move?

I would love that to be the case....I guess we'll soon see!!!

Anyways, I have been one the biggest bashers of B.D. coming to NY until I found a highlight reel from his time in Clev. Now, when has a highlight reel ever not made a player look like an All Star!?

Yet, there are some encouraging signs here, in particular the Alley Oops and him still showing he is a one on one nightmare at times as well as those clutch shots, again this is from his time with The Cavs which is as recent a footage as we can go off of.

His shooting PCT. concerns me, but the ability to get to rack and the players around him demanding so much attention (read Amare and Melo) he should be able to drive more (strength) and shoot less (weakness), also I don't think he will have a problem at all running the pick and roll w/ Stat!

If the back is exxagerrated or if it is something that can be healed by next month (at least 90%) then this is a move that solidifies our squad.

Still apprehensive about the move, yet I'm praying I'm wrong and I will gladly admit it if I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

CA7

Scoring Champ
In all honesty I got a feeling come December 25th Baron Davis will be in the starting line up this injury shit is a plow 8-10 weeks got him out of Cleveland and through the waiver wire 2-4 weeks got him a contract with us and come Friday afternoon he'll be ready to play, D'Antoni will have his head in that playbook and STAT will make sure he's ready, the last thing we can afford is to open the season with a lost to the Celtics and we know what happen last time we started Douglas and Fields

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
In all honesty I got a feeling come December 25th Baron Davis will be in the starting line up this injury shit is a plow 8-10 weeks got him out of Cleveland and through the waiver wire 2-4 weeks got him a contract with us and come Friday afternoon he'll be ready to play.
You're not alone in your feeling about BD, many people across the NBA (me included) think/believe that that 8-10 weeks out of play injury was a swindle to get him out of CLE and clear waivers. Cavs front office got just "cartered" (Vince intentionally played half amateur hoops to get out of Toronto).

CA7

Scoring Champ
You're not alone in your feeling about BD, many people across the NBA (me included) think/believe that that 8-10 weeks out of play injury was a swindle to get him out of CLE and clear waivers. Cavs front office got just "cartered" (Vince intentionally played half amateur hoops to get out of Toronto).

He's a smart man why struggle with a rebuilding team when you have the perfect opportunity in New York to do something special

loss to the celtics worst thing possible ?

I dont know about that,

I just want to see us play defense

if we play defense the chemistry will come with time

but defense takes effort

we have to see that effort

if paul pierce gets 5 threes where he actually looks into the paint and sees melo staring at home from 10 feet away

ill break my remote

I don't know about Davis. He's West coast, a shooting PG and is out of shape with an injury. The last couple of years the Knicks aquired a bunch of guys who are injury prone. This worries me because D'Ant's gameplan wears down his players, plus the season is cramped with a bunch of back 2 backs. I sure would like to see a few acquisitons of healthy players with no past issues to their legs. Hopefully, we don't finish the season with our rookies on the court and our vet's sitting out with sore legs...

Coach Woodson needs to slow down D'Ant's tempo, maybe speed it up in the playoffs when every other team takes their game up a notch.

p0nder

Starter
Davis was a great PG and he was the reason the Cav's had the Knicks number at the end of last season (remember those 3 or so games?). The injury is worry some and i don't understand bringing a guy in for a 1 year deal when he's injured for 3 months of it and will have to then adjust to the team when he does come back... but it's a low-risk high reward scenario and worth a shot.

Personally I'm rooting for shump to make the jump to the starting pg slot.

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
Not necessary we need shump to play the 2. Fields is lost on the court when Melo and Stat are on the court. Fields will be much better served at a reserve roll backing up Melo.

Paul1355

All Star
Ric Bucher on ESPN said that we should cut the amount of weeks in half in regards to when Davis returns.

So that means the reported 8-10 weeks is really 4-5....and other reports had Davis being back by MLK day which is January 15.

Can't wait.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm with the poster....the 8-10 week injury had teams cancel their interest in
signing Davis. I always seen Baron Davis performance with the Hornets a notch
compared to Marbury 20-8 performance....lazy with no speed when defending
quick-guards on the defensive-end of the court. It didnt look good when Hornets
headcoach Byron Scott barred Davis from the Hornets lockerroom.

Davis tour with Golden State Warriors were good b/c GSW roster always were
flooded with great offense/defense guards. Especially when PG-Davis and
backup PG-Derick Fisher upset the Mavs in the first round.
FA Baron Davis signing a max contract with the Dunleavy Clippers in 2008
offseason to become injury-prone, inconsistent, and the worst team-leader in
the NBA for 3 straight seasons had NBA fans writing Davis retirement papers.

Does Baron Davis have enough gas in his tank to drive the Knicks to the
ECF two seasons in a row? Yeah! Davis talent/experience is a helluva better
improvement than Felton. Davis playingtime have to be reduce to 26 or 28
minutes per game, having strong defensive depth from TD/Fields/Shump in
the guard-rotation.
:thumbsup: :gony: :thumbsup:

DrB

Benchwarmer
Just not giving up on LANDRY

Not necessary we need shump to play the 2. Fields is lost on the court when Melo and Stat are on the court. Fields will be much better served at a reserve roll backing up Melo.
The key to Fields NOT being lost on the court is up to Fields. If he lets the game come to him and knocks down a few shots in the beginning of a quarter he will be fine. Do not give up a 6'7 guard who was a leading rebounder for the team. People forget he was a rookie last year. He needs Amare to bolster his ego as he did last year.