Thread: OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

Hybrid View

Question Mark OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

We've seen the highlights...
    We got a taste of his talents first hand during the Knicks 1st pre-season game...
    NBA size (6'5" 220lbs)
    Speed
    PG pedigree from Georgia Tech where he led his team in Points, reb, and assists
    Budding jumper
    Loves to play defense
    What can't thiz kid do?

When Davis gets back in a few weeks, D’Antoni will have tough decisions to make. In the preseason opener Saturday in Newark, the backup unit of Mike Bibby and rookie Iman Shumpert outplayed the starting tandem of Douglas and Landry Fields.
    Fields was 2 of 12. Douglas and Fields combined to hit just 2 of 9 treys. It is possible that by February, the starting backcourt will be Davis and Shumpert, who glittered in his Knicks debut with 16 points. Douglas and Fields would become shooting-guard reserves with Bibby backing up Davis at the point.
    Asked Shumpert’s future position and role, D’Antoni said of his first-round pick, “It’s hard to tag him. He’s been really good with the ball. So far his decision-making is good. He could be a starting 1 or starting 2. He’s got a pretty high ceiling.’’
    Ok, ok I know it's early. I know we have no idea how Shump will look against the best in the EC
    Rose, Rondo, etc...

And as predicted, the Shump vs Fields debate will be in full-swing

Who's better (or will be)?

Speed?
    Handle?
    IQ?
    Passing?
    Defense?
    Offense?

Veteran

Start Iman at point and leave fields at shooting guard....

If it works we are set for years to come ....if it does not then switch it up...

Fileds will do the scrub work.....

Coach considers Iman a 1 or 2 guard....so if thats the case make him a 1 guard and go for it.......

wonder if we can trade douglas for a back-up forward

No, don't trade TD or Fields.

In this abbreviated season we need depth, and in my opinion we have it.

We may sit or reduce minutes some games as a strategy. Maybe start Imax at the 1 or 2. Maybe it's Bibby another day. Rest is key while figuring out the best rotation.

I include Jerome Jordan as depth also.

PG: Imax, B-Diddy, TD, Bibby
    SG: Imax, Fields, TD, B-Diddy
    SF: Melo, Balkman, Fields
    PF: STAT, Jorts, JJ
    C: TC, JJ, JJ

Plus we have two more players from DAL

We have depth- we just need to figure out who plays where

Mike D'Antoni*isn't sure if*Iman Shumpert*can play the two guard or run the point.*

He just knows the rookie can play.*

"He’s going to be a multi-purpose player," D'Antoni said on Sunday. "He might become a starting point, he might become as starting two. I think it will depend on his teammates more than what he does. He’ll be good at either position, should be. He has a pretty high ceiling."*

Shumpert impressed his teammates and coaches with a 16-point performance in just 16 minutes on the floor in the Knicks' preseason opener against New Jersey. Shumpert hit six of his 11 shots.*

D'Antoni also did not rule out the possibility that Shumpert, at 6-5 and 220 pounds, can play at small forward because of his defensive prowess.*
    We can't become a defensive team with TD & Fields in the back-court.

One or both are better suited coming off the bench.

I feel like if we would have gotten Baron Davis and Deshawn Stevenson and let Toney Douglas, Landry Fields and Iman Shumpert come off the bench then we would have been set, 2 proven vets starting and 3 young energetic guys coming off the bench to spell Davis, Stevenson and even Anthony

IMAX (cool nick by the way) could be a starter at #2 only with fair share of minutes with Landry. Of course I'm aware of Fields' lack of offense lately, but still this dude is a rebounding beast and generally a decent defender. Don't cross him off the roster so easily. Baron will be our starting point guard, nothing against Toney, like this guy, one of my favorite Knicks, but he will contribute more to this team coming off the bench, without any pressure.

Default Actually I agree....for now

Originally Posted by skisloper
    Start Iman at point and leave fields at shooting guard....

If it works we are set for years to come ....if it does not then switch it up...

Fileds will do the scrub work.....

Coach considers Iman a 1 or 2 guard....so if thats the case make him a 1 guard and go for it.......

wonder if we can trade douglas for a back-up forward
    You make good points but mostly TONEY D just does not do it for me at PG...and I think he would bring more energy coming off the bench. But most importantly I would love to see IMAX defend against RONDO..
    Also most knicks did not have the speed or the smarts to defend against RAY ALLEN...he was the man in motion always getting a look for his dangerous knife your heart 3...IMAX and Melo will need to shut Ray Allen down. Totally psyched for tomorrow..GO KNICKS

Default Unleash Him!

Shumpert has 'lots of confidence'
    December, 25, 2011
    DEC 25
    7:00
    AM ET
    EmailPrintComments
    By Ian Begley
    It's late in 5 on 5 drills last Tuesday. Iman Shumpert catches a pass, squares up behind the arc and flicks a high-arching jumper over the outstretched hand of Carmelo Anthony.

Swish.

A few possessions later, Anthony catches the ball on the wing and assesses the defense. Shumpert sizes up the superstar, claps twice, crouches low in a defensive stance and gets to work. The possession ends in a missed shot by Anthony.

"He can make a lot of plays," says backcourt mate and veteran guard Mike Bibby. "He can score the basketball, he can guard people, he's a god passer and he he has a lots confidence. That's what you need coming in [to the league]."

No, Shumpert doesn't lack confidence. He showed it every time he took the floor in training camp scrimmages and preseason games.

The Knicks' first-round pick has impressed veterans and the coaching staff by playing an aggression and self-assuredness that's rare for a rookie. In two preseason games against the Nets, Shumpert scored 11.5 points in 28 minutes.

"His defense is really good," Mike D'Antoni said after the Knicks' final preseason game. "He is a big guard, point guard, small forward that can guard a lot of people. He is quick and strong and ... he's been impressive so far."

Just how Shumpert fits into the Knicks' rotation remains to be seen.

In all likelihood, he'll start the season as a reserve shooting guard. But D'Antoni curiously hadn't named his starting rotation the day before Sunday's season opener.

So there is a small chance Shumpert can start at point guard. No matter what his role is, Shumpert will play it with confidence.

"Some guys are [confident], some guys aren't," Bibby says. "He definitely is and it's going to help him."
    See what he can do vs Rondo.

Besides, we all know TD is better suited as 6th man, and you started Fields by default; while he made less of an impression.

START IMAX.

Frank Isola

Iman Shumpert out 2 to 4 weeks according to Knicks. Jared Jeffries out 1 to 2 weeks.

What happened!!

Originally Posted by WVKnickfan
    Frank Isola

Iman Shumpert out 2 to 4 weeks according to Knicks. Jared Jeffries out 1 to 2 weeks.

What happened!!
    Strained MCL. Imax and B Diddy coming soon...

Exclamation Shumpert > Fields

I know we only saw one game from Shumpert but he obviously has more tools than Fields.

Fields is a better rebounder and probably has a better IQ.

BUT

Shumpert is more athletic, has better handles, is a better passer, has a sweet jumpshot which fields has to prove he has again, shump can drive better than fields, shump is more aggressive so he draws more fouls, he has more energy, and he is faster and I almost forgot his DEFENSE...Shumpert swiped the ball out of D Wills hands like it was nothing, this kid can play defense and Fields got torched by Ray Allen in the playoffs, I don't think Allen does that to Shumpert....so i think with all of those facts we should assume that Shumpert should start.

I think Shumpert should start once Davis is healthy unless Douglas sucks so much at passing that Shumpert has to start at PG.

Our lineup should be

Davis
    Shumpert
    Melo
    Amare
    Chandler

Make Douglas a sixth man and lower Fields minutes. I love Fields but he doesn't deserve 30 min a game. He should of been benched as soon as he hit the rookie wall and especially before the playoffs. Mike D failed to realize that rookies just can't get through the wall.

Shumpert will starrt eventually. Now that Davis is here, Shump will take Fields' spot.

Fields is a better player off of the bench. He will bring energy and rebounding. Plus he can play some minutes at SF

Veteran

I think if Baron Davis is the PG you 100% go with Fields...He will compliment those 4 players. He is a hustler and thats the role we will need...

Originally Posted by skisloper
    I think if Baron Davis is the PG you 100% go with Fields...He will compliment those 4 players. He is a hustler and thats the role we will need...
    Watch some videos of Shumpert, he is a force off the ball. He always comes off screens and just slams it on people from the alley oop pass.

Shumpert is better but i see how you and other posters feel Fields will be the bette compliment.

Fields HAS to be the Fields of the 1st half of last season, or else we can all agree that he deserves to be on the bench with Shumpert taking his spot.

I just think Shumpert will be the starting 2 guard eventually, only a matter of time. He will impress so much that Mike D will be forced to increase his minutes.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Shump will already see a lot of minutes. 25-30 a game possibly. it will excel his progression and i think he'll surprise a lot of people day one when he does a great job on rondo. eventually i see him being considered for ROY. could be a perfect fit to this team and a gem that we need to add to the starting lineup. he's got out of this world skills and can definitely ball. has confidence and his shot has vastly improved look out for him

Dantoni shud really consider starting imax on wed. to see how well he does starting. In my opinion shump should start when we open the season it'll definitely boost his confidence. He will contribute more then feilds and feilds will contribute more off the bench