Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    Yes, Fields has the potential to be a starter, but on this team he'll be better for us coming off the bench. As a starter he defers too much and has a problem adjusting to the starpower along side of him. He was a rookie last year, so I'm not going to fault him for his second half collapse.

He was just star struck a bit and had the best seats in the house (on the court) watching the Stat and Melo show.

With some added focus and a few adjustments to his game...he can be that stater...but for now his talent is needed when Stat and/or Melo is resting. Putting those 3 together doesn't seem to work well because Fields is too willing to give up the rock to the vets, often overlooking his own easy opportunities.
    Yeah...

That's called pasivity, whereas Imax seems aggressive.

Its still a question but why "force" Fields knowing what he brings?

Hypothetically picture Fields on one of these playoff teams
    CHI, BOS, MIA, MEM, DAL, OKC, etc...

All those teams have better sg's, and Fields would be a bench player on those squads.

Now, replacing any of those teams sg's with Fields, and we WON'T see a major drop off because Fields is a good all-around player, but still not a starter.

Now picture Fields playing defense against those playoff teams sg's... he can't be relied on to shut any of them down.

So in conclusion, Fields is a starter by default. If Shum continues to impress, moving him into the starting rotation is better sooner than later.

All we need to see is Imax vs Rose, Rondo, etc... he already held his own vs D. Williams.

Veteran

I've always liked Fields, but his ceiling is not that high. He isn't really going to get a whole lot better from how he was playing in the first half of last season - mostly because he's already 22, and most of his development has already happened.

Iman on the other hand I think has a higher ceiling because he's much more athletic. Fields is a good player, but I think Fields is a good roleplayer on a playoff team.

Originally Posted by CA7
    I'm not worried about Amar'e, Carmelo, Tyson, Bibby or Baron everyone else is going to give us on and off days the thing is D'Antoni is in love with Fields and he has reason to be but in order for him to ultimately be more effective he needs to develop a better jump shot, mechanic wise, he shot 39% last year but he didnt attempt much, this year he will have 5-9 open looks a game and if he cant get them off, let along knock them down he becomes a liability. He doesn't need a Ray Allen type release but at least a shot where he can catch and rise quickly and flick his wrist and know 44% of the time its falling in.........I'm bashing him its called constructive criticism I want him to be very good and his next step is developing that catch and shoot ability he knows it he said it himself
    Ca7 ..you make excellant points on Fields. I surely am not his agent. To be fair he was off a college season and faded into the end of last year's 82 plus the post season. D'Antoni will not pressure the rookies by passing over Fields until they prove themselves in SHOWTIME. On Fields mechanics he's off the front rim with low trajectory when he's aiming the ball. On one of his TRES in the flow on Saturday he and it looked lovely. He is not walking with confidence now. I will cut him some slack for his 6'7" rebounding and smart defense. 39% will not work with this years team. Excellant thread I might add as this is core issue not including staying healthy for 2011-12 KNICKS.

Baron Davis is our starting point guard, hands down!

A multiple All-Star, Playoff-veteran and without question our most talented playmaker on the roster.

Iman should start at the SG position though instead of Landry.

Until Davis is fully healthy (he looks ripped by the way) - Bibby should start.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Baron Davis is our starting point guard, hands down!

A multiple All-Star, Playoff-veteran and without question our most talented playmaker on the roster.

Iman should start at the SG position though instead of Landry.

Until Davis is fully healthy (he looks ripped by the way) - Bibby should start.
    You talking about B-Diddy? Post a pic so we can see (no homo)

This dude Bibby is hurt already. Save him for emergencies only & some tutelage.

I dont want Iman starting yet, I want him as the leader of the 2nd unit his energy is contagious bring him in when we're flat or when we wanna keep the pace going

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    I've always liked Fields, but his ceiling is not that high. He isn't really going to get a whole lot better from how he was playing in the first half of last season - mostly because he's already 22, and most of his development has already happened.

Iman on the other hand I think has a higher ceiling because he's much more athletic. Fields is a good player, but I think Fields is a good roleplayer on a playoff team.
    There is absolutely no way for you to know that. You're seriously reaching with that one. On top of that, you only have a ONE season sample size.

If we're winning, leave things alone. The only definite change will be when B-Diddy is ready to play. If we run into any issues along the way and it appears our starting sg position is lacking then the move will be warranted.

Until then, let's not start shuffling the lineup before we even have a full official game in yet. I get we're all anxious to get started but settle down gents... we will be good either way.

Nyk Logo Grunwald

A month ago we had 8 contracts and 7 spaces...which not only got filled but filled superbly I might add with the addition of a healthy Davis at some point. Everything else are details. They can all play but who did we have that could play with the likes of D. WADE or ROSE...or KOBE or against them ....thats my mind set. Again, we will not squeak into the playoffs like an old Cadillac coming off lease. I project 50-6 wins not last years 42.
    As a native LI 'er I hated Dolan as he was sucked in by Issiah. The Donny Walsh's legacy is now been completed by Grunwald who signed Davis to a Veterans min 1.4 million.
    With Amare, Carmelo, Chandler, and Davis....it's the first time in years I am going into a season hoping to be very competative and not embarrass ourselves. A healthy Davis is my Rx for this team . If the herniated disc at L3 responds to conservative treatment...As GERALDINE used say WATCH OUT!!!!

C'YA WEDNEDAY.....

Exclamation Shumpert > Fields

I know we only saw one game from Shumpert but he obviously has more tools than Fields.

Fields is a better rebounder and probably has a better IQ.

BUT

Shumpert is more athletic, has better handles, is a better passer, has a sweet jumpshot which fields has to prove he has again, shump can drive better than fields, shump is more aggressive so he draws more fouls, he has more energy, and he is faster and I almost forgot his DEFENSE...Shumpert swiped the ball out of D Wills hands like it was nothing, this kid can play defense and Fields got torched by Ray Allen in the playoffs, I don't think Allen does that to Shumpert....so i think with all of those facts we should assume that Shumpert should start.

I think Shumpert should start once Davis is healthy unless Douglas sucks so much at passing that Shumpert has to start at PG.

Our lineup should be

Davis
    Shumpert
    Melo
    Amare
    Chandler

Make Douglas a sixth man and lower Fields minutes. I love Fields but he doesn't deserve 30 min a game. He should of been benched as soon as he hit the rookie wall and especially before the playoffs. Mike D failed to realize that rookies just can't get through the wall.

Shumpert will starrt eventually. Now that Davis is here, Shump will take Fields' spot.

Fields is a better player off of the bench. He will bring energy and rebounding. Plus he can play some minutes at SF

Veteran

I think if Baron Davis is the PG you 100% go with Fields...He will compliment those 4 players. He is a hustler and thats the role we will need...

Originally Posted by skisloper
    I think if Baron Davis is the PG you 100% go with Fields...He will compliment those 4 players. He is a hustler and thats the role we will need...
    Watch some videos of Shumpert, he is a force off the ball. He always comes off screens and just slams it on people from the alley oop pass.

Shumpert is better but i see how you and other posters feel Fields will be the bette compliment.

Fields HAS to be the Fields of the 1st half of last season, or else we can all agree that he deserves to be on the bench with Shumpert taking his spot.

I just think Shumpert will be the starting 2 guard eventually, only a matter of time. He will impress so much that Mike D will be forced to increase his minutes.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Shump will already see a lot of minutes. 25-30 a game possibly. it will excel his progression and i think he'll surprise a lot of people day one when he does a great job on rondo. eventually i see him being considered for ROY. could be a perfect fit to this team and a gem that we need to add to the starting lineup. he's got out of this world skills and can definitely ball. has confidence and his shot has vastly improved look out for him

Dantoni shud really consider starting imax on wed. to see how well he does starting. In my opinion shump should start when we open the season it'll definitely boost his confidence. He will contribute more then feilds and feilds will contribute more off the bench

Originally Posted by Red
    You talking about B-Diddy? Post a pic so we can see (no homo)

This dude Bibby is hurt already. Save him for emergencies only & some tutelage.
    I don't have a shirtless pic (no homo) at the moment, but look at his face, really tells the story!

Fat Baron Davis (Warriors):

In shape Baron (12/19/2011):

His cheeks are half the size, he's cut a lot of bodyfat!