OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I did see the game and here is the issue...

You and others are thinking that this is a competition bt. Fields & shump, whoevere gets the best Stats in pre-season games should start.

That's incorrect.

What I (and you) should be noticing is WHO FITS BETTER IN THE STARTING LINE-UP. Of course we will take many things into account like Fields avg. < 2points in the playoffs, or his nosedive when Melo arrived.

But more improtantly its "what do we need, and who brings it"?

We don't need a no-show hustle rebounder at the two! Especially one who can't guard his position.

I've already noticed that Imax CAN guard the 1 or 2 pos.

He has speed, the latteral quickness, and technique to do so where Fields doesn't. Its that simple.

Imax has what's needed in the starting rotation with potentially 3 TOP scorers (+ B Diddy) that's defense and being athletically gifted to surpass what Fields does.

+ He has more heart.

Bambi Fields is a quintessential "hustle" player. Run plays for him with the 2nd unit, build his confidence perhaps but...

Bambi Doesn't have the mental make-up to mesh with stars we have in the trenches. He's nervous and thinking too much.

Imax has swagger- he fits better. Trust.
Thing is though, can plays be run for Fields off the bench as it would with a very good passer with Baron Davis as a starter?

You gotta remember Fields played with much confidence too early on last year. If Fields gets chemistry with Davis, and if Shumpert continues to show confidence and plays well, then we can make a much, much better judgement. We know D'Antoni is gonna start Fields early on, what if the other starters aren't clicking with Fields? That might mean having him come off the bench when B. Diddy comes back isn't a good idea. If Shumpert has "it", then he'll get it, whether it's off the bench or being a starter. I think don't D'Antoni will wait around this time for a rookie to get earned minutes,

Red

TYPE-A
Thing is though, can plays be run for Fields off the bench as it would with a very good passer with Baron Davis as a starter?

You gotta remember Fields played with much confidence too early on last year. If Fields gets chemistry with Davis, and if Shumpert continues to show confidence and plays well, then we can make a much, much better judgement. We know D'Antoni is gonna start Fields early on, what if the other starters aren't clicking with Fields? That might mean having him come off the bench when B. Diddy comes back isn't a good idea. If Shumpert has "it", then he'll get it, whether it's off the bench or being a starter. I think don't D'Antoni will wait around this time for a rookie to get earned minutes,

The issue is how their respective roles change depending on the circumstance, or relative to the state of the current team.

Fields had success before the trade because of his role combined with the team identity. With Gallo, Felton, Chandler and co. and the addition of STAT (who was our unquestioned leader) we were still a work in progress; we were overachievers knowing we had something to build. And it was basically "get STAT the ball", simple enough, and thats just what Fields would do. We would applaud because we was like yes n!gga, get the best player the ball and move the f*ck out the way; Fields did that well. But when the bright lights were on... different ball-game.

Each player had a role to solidify but the pressure was not there because we had low expectations. All Fields had to do was "fit in", put in hard-work, and hustle. Those attributes stood out amongst fans and teammates alike.

As the roster got better and better we almost instantly transformed to a "win-now" team, with greater expectations. Greater demand from additions. This results in pressure. An analogy would be the Yankees. Everyone can't play on the Yankees. What was "good enough" on a young team is seen as "not good enough" on the Yanks. They demanded the best of the best, because they were the best. And it happens in all sports.

Fields did fit in. He proved his worth and brought something to the table, but that was in relation to who we were. Those same attributes now stand out as weaknesses on a better team. The pressure is too high, and some players can't deal with that. Some players thrive when there are no expectations- because they know they can rarely disappoint. A hustle player here and there is gold to starved fans.

Picture Fields on the Lakers. He would have been a bench player, no question; a Barnes or Shannon Brown type. Good enough to start on other teams, but a role player on the Lakers.

Well I'm not saying we are the Lakers. I know this sounds premature being that Shump only played in two preseason games. What I've seen and read, from highlights, and news clippings, and from the full season with Fields, I've concluded Shump is better. Better suited for what we need in my opinion. Shump is our PG of the future. He is the prototypical guard with size, defense, and a pass first mentality.

He has the athletic ability and the stones needed. He has what we should deem more important than what we know Fields brings, on his best day. Because Fields may bring hustle, rebounds, etc... and because we are now a different team, I know Fields isn't more important than what we need out of our PG. That goes for TD- in fact I don't mind replacing either. So we can leave Fields if you want, but we have to agree that TD is too better suited as a 6th man. With that said, the sooner we decide, the sooner we groom Shump as a definite Point Guard, no question, no options, or we'll sees...

the better. And thats the purpose now. No more experimenting, no more try everyone till someone fits... we should be starting the best players period. Not looking for someone to step up (i.e. Gallo, Chandler), we should already know that the best start, the rest do exactly what Fields is use to... try to fit in.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
I feel it in the air!

Shumpert practices with the starting five
December, 23, 2011
DEC 23
5:58
PM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Jared Zwerling
NEW YORK -- There was a good chunk of time during Friday's practice when rookie Iman Shumpert was wearing a blue jersey. That meant he was the point guard in the first unit, playing alongside Landry Fields, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler.

Mike D'Antoni said afterward that Toney Douglas also ran the team, and he wanted to switch it up with Shumpert because "we're just trying to get everybody used to playing with certain people." While D'Antoni is likely to name Douglas the starter for Sunday's season opener, he has been impressed with Shumpert's play-making abilities.

D'Antoni has the luxury of using Anthony as his point-forward, but an actual point guard who can make things happen will be necessary at times when Melo is playing off the ball. Eventually it will be Baron Davis, but in the meantime before the former All-Star is healthy, don't be surprised if that player ends up being Shumpert, not Douglas.

The deciding factors will likely be Shumpert's athleticism and 6-foot-5, 220-pound size, which will allow him to stick with stronger and quicker point guards such as Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook. D'Antoni called Shumpert's defense "really good."

Offensively, Douglas has more experience at the point, but he's undersized. At the end of the day, he is better suited for the team's sixth-man role. The name of his game is scoring, and Shumpert's -- as D'Antoni alluded to on Friday -- is facilitating.

"[Iman's] shown that he makes simple plays, and if he can do that, he'll play," D'Antoni said. "Now whether right now in his rookie year can he run a team exactly the way we want it after two weeks of practice? I don't know. But if we've got other guys helping out, he can definitely play. We'll just cover that as we go forward."

By the look and sound of it, despite D'Antoni saying he'll "probably" go with the usual starting five against the Celtics, you never know -- Christmas Day could offer a surprise.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I agree that TD is better suited as the sixth man. Even when he's being pass-first, he doesn't look to make plays usually, which doesn't mean it's his fault, he just doesn't have the ability now.

Interesting article. Would love Shumpert getting his chance early on, but I'll be fine with Douglas starting as long as he's bringing the defense he brought previously before he was hurt last season.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Actually I agree....for now

Start Iman at point and leave fields at shooting guard....

If it works we are set for years to come ....if it does not then switch it up...

Fileds will do the scrub work.....

Coach considers Iman a 1 or 2 guard....so if thats the case make him a 1 guard and go for it.......

wonder if we can trade douglas for a back-up forward
You make good points but mostly TONEY D just does not do it for me at PG...and I think he would bring more energy coming off the bench. But most importantly I would love to see IMAX defend against RONDO..
Also most knicks did not have the speed or the smarts to defend against RAY ALLEN...he was the man in motion always getting a look for his dangerous knife your heart 3...IMAX and Melo will need to shut Ray Allen down. Totally psyched for tomorrow..GO KNICKS

Red

TYPE-A
Unleash Him!

Shumpert has 'lots of confidence'
December, 25, 2011
DEC 25
7:00
AM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Ian Begley
It's late in 5 on 5 drills last Tuesday. Iman Shumpert catches a pass, squares up behind the arc and flicks a high-arching jumper over the outstretched hand of Carmelo Anthony.

Swish.

A few possessions later, Anthony catches the ball on the wing and assesses the defense. Shumpert sizes up the superstar, claps twice, crouches low in a defensive stance and gets to work. The possession ends in a missed shot by Anthony.

"He can make a lot of plays," says backcourt mate and veteran guard Mike Bibby. "He can score the basketball, he can guard people, he's a god passer and he he has a lots confidence. That's what you need coming in [to the league]."

No, Shumpert doesn't lack confidence. He showed it every time he took the floor in training camp scrimmages and preseason games.

The Knicks' first-round pick has impressed veterans and the coaching staff by playing an aggression and self-assuredness that's rare for a rookie. In two preseason games against the Nets, Shumpert scored 11.5 points in 28 minutes.

"His defense is really good," Mike D'Antoni said after the Knicks' final preseason game. "He is a big guard, point guard, small forward that can guard a lot of people. He is quick and strong and ... he's been impressive so far."

Just how Shumpert fits into the Knicks' rotation remains to be seen.

In all likelihood, he'll start the season as a reserve shooting guard. But D'Antoni curiously hadn't named his starting rotation the day before Sunday's season opener.

So there is a small chance Shumpert can start at point guard. No matter what his role is, Shumpert will play it with confidence.

"Some guys are [confident], some guys aren't," Bibby says. "He definitely is and it's going to help him."

See what he can do vs Rondo.

Besides, we all know TD is better suited as 6th man, and you started Fields by default; while he made less of an impression.

START IMAX.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Frank Isola

Iman Shumpert out 2 to 4 weeks according to Knicks. Jared Jeffries out 1 to 2 weeks.

What happened!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I always thought that Landry Fields profiled more as a bench guy. I think this will be a good opportunity for that - Fields is not a SG, he has never been an SG, the only reason he was ever an SG for us is cause we didn't have anybody who could play SG.

Red

TYPE-A
IMAX > our ENTIRE back court combined.

Any reason why he's NOT starting is ridiculous.

Don't support 'Antoni's stubborn approach.

Start him, if I can see it then so should a $6mil coach. Hello!

Red

TYPE-A
WAS guards dropped 66 points on us alone.

Start IMAX before I have to come down there and f*ck 'Antoni up myself.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Yeah, we all saw when Imax was on the court we were always like +10 points and every time Dumbtoni benched him the Wizards tied the game...

Red

TYPE-A
WASHINGTON ? Iman Shumpert is slowly earning his way into the Knicks? starting lineup and a promotion could happen sooner than later. It just didn?t happen on Friday until the second half.

Shumpert replaced Toney Douglas at point guard in the third quarter and played a significant role in the Knicks? 99-96 victory over the Wizards. The first-round pick out of Georgia Tech had seven assists, six points and four steals in the second half, and there is a possibility that Shumpert will start on Saturday in Detroit.

Mike D?Antoni says he?ll consider a change after Douglas played just 12 minutes on Friday and missed all five of his shots.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ngton-wizards-article-1.1002189#ixzz1imQn9qyr

is that because...

A. he has no confidence

B. 'Antoni ruined him by allowing him to shoot first and think later

...I'VE SEEN BOTH IN THE PAST WITH MANY PLAYERS.

and notice the only time a player's confidence increases under 'Antoni, is on the offensive end, not defense or both.

Shoot! N!gga shoot! smh.

Red

TYPE-A
I-MAN: Shumpert looked a bit out of sync offensively in the first half, even shooting an airball from dowtown. But that didn't matter in only his third game of his NBA career. The Knicks needed to put a stop to Wall, who scored 10 points in the first quarter, mostly in transition. Shumpert did such a good job disrupting Wall on the ball that the rookie started over Toney Douglas to begin the third quarter. Not only did Shumpert finish with a game-high five steals, he had a team-high seven assists and 10 points. I think it's safe to say Douglas, who started the game but only played two minutes in the second half, may have seen his last pre-game player introduction.

too obvious.

Red

TYPE-A
I mean...

WASHINGTON ? This is an easy move, one that Knicks coach Mike D?Antoni should have made last night but did not pull the trigger on until the second half.
Start young Iman Shumpert at guard. Don?t outthink yourself, coach. Do the right thing.

Basketball can be so simple if you let it be. Energy and hustle go a long way in the NBA and never more so than in this schedule-squeezed season when it is every team for itself as the injuries mount.
D?Antoni talked about starting Shumpert but went with Toney Douglas at the point and nearly paid the awful price to an awful team as the Knicks found themselves down by 16 in the second quarter to the winless Wizards. With Shumpert helping in so many ways, the Knicks managed to cut the lead to 47-46 by the end of the first half.

In the second half, D?Antoni started Shumpert at the point as the Knicks built a nine-point lead and managed to hang on for the 99-96 victory at the Verizon Center as Carmelo Anthony poured in 37 points, including a clutch late 3-pointer, and came up limping at the end with a sore back and groin.
Shumpert?s unselfish play made a huge difference. He led the Knicks with seven assists and five steals while scoring 10 points. D?Antoni needs to keep it simple to keep his job. The five Knicks starters managed to combine for just five steals.

Let Anthony chuck, let Shumpert, the rookie out of Georgia Tech, play the role of the Energizer bunny and let the Broadway Bigs do their thing. That?s who these Knicks are. Don?t try to make them something they are not. They are not the Phoenix Suns. Work with what you have.
?I thought he played great,?? D?Antoni said of Shumpert, who worked overtime to try to keep John Wall under control. ?He turned it around, actually.??
Yes, he did. It?s not just the energy Shumpert brings. He brings a sense of calmness to the team. This is what he said about the importance of the win: ?I think it was a breath of fresh air for everybody. I think everybody was a little tightened up.??

As for running the offense he said, ?I?m always pretty comfortable. ... It don?t matter if I come off the bench, if I start, it doesn?t really matter. When everybody comes in they got to do their job.??
He did all this with Paul Hewitt, the former coach at Georgia Tech looking on. Before the game, D?Antoni was asked why he did not put Shumpert in the starting lineup.
?I thought about changing the lineup, I didn?t say I was going to start him,? he said. ?Who knows? We haven?t played enough games to really get a good sample of what?s best for us right now.??
Really? By the second half all that was out the window. Nevertheless, D?Antoni left himself some wiggle room for tonight?s game against the Pistons at Auburn Hills.

Asked if Shumpert would start, he said, ?Maybe. I still want to think about it. We don?t want to lose Toney, but we?ll do what we have to do.??
D?Antoni must start Shumpert. It?s the easy and right thing to do. In this short season, quick decisions are needed.
Defense is about instilling your will on the opponent. Shumpert is active. There is a line in the Knicks media guide about Shumpert that I love: ?Plays with the mentality that it is embarrassing to be scored upon, which was instilled in him at a young age when playing with his three brothers.??
You never want your brothers to get the best of you, even if they are bigger and stronger. You play harder to get the best of them. That?s what Shumpert brings to the court. The Knicks could use a little less Broadway glitz and a little more back-alley toughness.

Make the change and start Shumpert. This season is much too short to just let things play out.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...shumpert_qihiOYzmKZyxSYYz1mIIDN#ixzz1inGraxUS

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I think it would be a great relief for Toney to come off the bench. Everyone on this board knows he doesn't feel comfortable with where he's at the moment. Or eventually make him our starting shooting guard and let Fields playing backup for Carmelo... C'mon coach, just think outside the box, you played Bibby at #2 last night and he made some great shots...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Starting Douglas at PG is like playing Fields as center. No matter how many times you try to get him going at a position, it mostly never works. There are guys, such as Nate, who while not being your ideal PG, has enough PG abilities that makes him a fine starting PG if there aren't better options. Douglas is a PURE SG. Let him do his thing. He's not that athletic, doesn't have great handles, doesn't have good court vision at all it seems, so let the man be a SG. This is a dude who has kicked team's ass with his scoring, don't give him a mentality that he should be doing anything else on offense.

Toney should not be getting singled out by fans. Booing only him? Come on. Toney gives great effort, it's not his fault our coach is an idiot.