OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I might be wrong but when he dribbles sometimes to me he dribbles to high, where he could turn it over. Iman has better dribbling skills but in the end I believe he will turnover the ball more. Need to see him play more, and still thinks he is better fit giving the starters some rest on the bench.
Is it a hard dribble though? I didn't notice. People here said a few months ago that he appeared to have a hard dribble. If so, it wouldn't be anything of concern, Jason Williams had a hard dribble. Mike Bibby seems to as well.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I see IMAX as more of a SG and Fields as more of an SF. Of course, that means that Fields is relegated to a bench role with us because of Carmelo.

Which is fine. We need guys like Fields off the bench - someone who can rebound and shoot is definitely very valuable.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Is it a hard dribble though? I didn't notice. People here said a few months ago that he appeared to have a hard dribble. If so, it wouldn't be anything of concern, Jason Williams had a hard dribble. Mike Bibby seems to as well.

Definitely similar to Ty Lawson it just doesnt look bad for Ty cause he's 5'10, the best asset about Shumpert is his cross over is quick and low, he has a great stiff arm and can drive great with both hands, he also has a quick release, great elevation and a soft touch.

Fields is not a 30 minutes 2 Guard in this system, he's a 15-20 2/3 guy mainly a 3 who can only shoot when he has 3 seconds to get the shot off. He doesnt jump, he doesnt step into his shot good at all but I'm hoping he works on it. Most of his shots from the wing and corner hit short and from the top of the key they always hit the back of the rim.

If anything I'm not starting either, I'm signing Deshawn Stevenson and relegating all 3 young guards to the bench and let them battle game by game to see who plays significant minutes.

Say we grab Stevenson with the mini MLE and K-Mart with the vets minimum and let go of Green and Hunter

Davis/Bibby/Douglas
Stevenson/Shumpert/Walker
Anthony/Fields/Balkman
Stoudemire/Martin/Jeffries
Chandler/Harrellson/Jordan

Wargames

Starter
Guys it doesn't matter who starts it's all about Minutes and I think fields and Shumpert will both get decent minutes. as people have said Fields has fallen off but maybe its less to do with Melo and more to do with the fact that he hasn't played with a passing PG since Felton who actually tried to run the offense first. B

Billups is a scoring PG, What he is doing with the Clippers proves that most of all since he can easily move to SG and just shoot for days. When he was in New York this tendency was worse because the Knicks had no training camp for him to teach him any kind of system. So every game the knicks went out there and winged it. That meant Billups took shots if he thought he could make it, passed to melo for Iso if not, or tried to connect to Amare in his sweet spots. Fields was an after thought behind the ghost of whoever was playing center. Their was no ball movement nor designated places to catch the ball. Then When TD took over due to Billups injury it was even worse due to TD's tendency to stop dribbling and look for his shot 1'st, 2nd, and 3rd before passing to Melo. Then in the playoffs it was TD & Fields first experience at that level and besides them and Melo who else did the celtics even have to focus on who could of been a threat?

I expect the Knicks to win games in the beginning based on their physical abilities and once Baron gets here to play a system that uses all the weapons. until then expect ugly bully ball basketball. Fields will play his game which if it works will have the added benefit of tiring opposing SG's who have to chase him around.

As for Shumpert even if he could start at SG (Which I am of the opinion that he could....Maybe..... I mean its pre-season) its better to let him come off the bench and score when a Stat or Melo or sitting since it looks like most of the teams reserves are defensive in nature. TD is an off the bench scorer as a sixth man but if Shumpert lives up to his multiple abilities (I really think he could become a Sprewell type player with more handle :cool:) he could become a premier sixth man who gives the players on the floor a whole different look.

The laker's knew Odom was starter worthy but would use him to intimidate other teams with 3 big bodies sometimes. Other times he would come in and allow one of the other Bigs to rest. That should be the goal if Shumpert pans out. Sometimes Shumpert should play with Stat and Melo to stretch out a teams defense since 3 player can be scoring threats. Sometimes he should play to interrupt another teams star guards (IE the Bulls & Celtics) and sometimes he should come in late to let Stat or Amare take a breather while he becomes the number two offensive option. Also lastly he and TD should between the two of them be able to slow down players like Rose and hopefully share duties on slowing down Rondo and Allen.

Of course all of this his in theory right now because all we as fans know from 1 Pre-season game is:

Shumpert looks like he is quick enough on the perimeter to stop other Guards from penetrating the paint at will and that he strong enough to keep other guards from posting him up. He can also swipe a ball with the best of them that would force PG's to play with their shoulder facing him and would limit their possible passing lanes. I honestly think he can be a PG stopper and baron's ability to play decent D (in theory) against opposing SG's and Douglas ability to play D against PG means he could terrorize both Guard positions around the league.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Shumpert, who had 16 points in the preseason opener, continues to light up the Westchester gym with dynamic play and a smooth stroke from 3-point land. Bibby has been solid. Meanwhile, Douglas is not deemed a true playmaker by the Knicks? coaching staff, and Fields still can?t hit the broad side of the barn in scrimmages, picking up where he left off in the Boston playoff series.

Let's stop bullsh!ttin'!

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I'm on the same page as Wargames. Its exactly my view on Fields, Toney Douglas, and Iman. Just because Iman could be a starter does not mean he should. Iman will have minutes, and the Knicks need him to come off the bench.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer

Yeah it is a hard dribble. It probably like what CA7 said, it just looks weird to me because Iman is taller. He might make it work like other players, but I always think its best to keep the ball low. His length might help protect the ball, I think its best to keep the ball low. Hard dribbling might lead to carries and giving up the ball turning it over.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Yeah it is a hard dribble. It probably like what CA7 said, it just looks weird to me because Iman is taller. He might make it work like other players, but I always think its best to keep the ball low. His length might help protect the ball, I think its best to keep the ball low. Hard dribbling might lead to carries and giving up the ball turning it over.

His hard dribble is effective because of his length and strength, Rose, Lawson and Evans all use this effectively, it allows them to get defenders leaning forward but their so good at it and have quick reactions that they usually beat their man which helps them create off the dribble better,

Douglas for example pulls the ball back a lot mainly because its easier for him to hit his pull up.

Shumpert does need to watch that when smaller guys defend him though guys like Lawson, Lowry and Barea will jump hit and force him to crossover but since they're low to the ground they have a better chance at ripping him

Red

TYPE-A
His hard dribble is effective because of his length and strength, Rose, Lawson and Evans all use this effectively, it allows them to get defenders leaning forward but their so good at it and have quick reactions that they usually beat their man which helps them create off the dribble better,

Douglas for example pulls the ball back a lot mainly because its easier for him to hit his pull up.

Shumpert does need to watch that when smaller guys defend him though guys like Lawson, Lowry and Barea will jump hit and force him to crossover but since they're low to the ground they have a better chance at ripping him

If "he has a hard dribble", is the best you can do, then again even with this "hard dribble" Imax has a better handle than Fields.
But the backcourt isn't as simple.*

Neither Douglas nor Fields played particularly well in the preseason opener against the Nets last Saturday.*

Fields missed 10 of his 12 shots and finished with just seven points. Douglas had two turnovers and shot 1-for-5 from beyond the arc in 30 minutes.*

"Their eyes were a little bit in headlights. But they?ll be fine," D'Antoni said after the game.*

Shumpert, on the other hand, scored 16 points in 26 minutes in the Knicks' preseason opener. Most of those 26 minutes were played with Bibby on the floor.*

See those stats?

Won't cut it on a championship contender... at least not for a starter.

p0nder

Starter
I think Iman will earn his way to a starting role before the post season.

At this juncture I would say that Fields and Toney own the spots. but i expect both will be coming off the bench in short order.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Guys it doesn't matter who starts it's all about Minutes and I think fields and Shumpert will both get decent minutes. as people have said Fields has fallen off but maybe its less to do with Melo and more to do with the fact that he hasn't played with a passing PG since Felton who actually tried to run the offense first. B

Billups is a scoring PG, What he is doing with the Clippers proves that most of all since he can easily move to SG and just shoot for days. When he was in New York this tendency was worse because the Knicks had no training camp for him to teach him any kind of system. So every game the knicks went out there and winged it. That meant Billups took shots if he thought he could make it, passed to melo for Iso if not, or tried to connect to Amare in his sweet spots. Fields was an after thought behind the ghost of whoever was playing center. Their was no ball movement nor designated places to catch the ball. Then When TD took over due to Billups injury it was even worse due to TD's tendency to stop dribbling and look for his shot 1'st, 2nd, and 3rd before passing to Melo. Then in the playoffs it was TD & Fields first experience at that level and besides them and Melo who else did the celtics even have to focus on who could of been a threat?

I expect the Knicks to win games in the beginning based on their physical abilities and once Baron gets here to play a system that uses all the weapons. until then expect ugly bully ball basketball. Fields will play his game which if it works will have the added benefit of tiring opposing SG's who have to chase him around.

As for Shumpert even if he could start at SG (Which I am of the opinion that he could....Maybe..... I mean its pre-season) its better to let him come off the bench and score when a Stat or Melo or sitting since it looks like most of the teams reserves are defensive in nature. TD is an off the bench scorer as a sixth man but if Shumpert lives up to his multiple abilities (I really think he could become a Sprewell type player with more handle :cool:) he could become a premier sixth man who gives the players on the floor a whole different look.

The laker's knew Odom was starter worthy but would use him to intimidate other teams with 3 big bodies sometimes. Other times he would come in and allow one of the other Bigs to rest. That should be the goal if Shumpert pans out. Sometimes Shumpert should play with Stat and Melo to stretch out a teams defense since 3 player can be scoring threats. Sometimes he should play to interrupt another teams star guards (IE the Bulls & Celtics) and sometimes he should come in late to let Stat or Amare take a breather while he becomes the number two offensive option. Also lastly he and TD should between the two of them be able to slow down players like Rose and hopefully share duties on slowing down Rondo and Allen.

Of course all of this his in theory right now because all we as fans know from 1 Pre-season game is:

Shumpert looks like he is quick enough on the perimeter to stop other Guards from penetrating the paint at will and that he strong enough to keep other guards from posting him up. He can also swipe a ball with the best of them that would force PG's to play with their shoulder facing him and would limit their possible passing lanes. I honestly think he can be a PG stopper and baron's ability to play decent D (in theory) against opposing SG's and Douglas ability to play D against PG means he could terrorize both Guard positions around the league.
Excellent post, +1 rep.

One thing yet to be seen from Shumpert (of course, even the stuff we have seen, we have to see more of since it was only one game), is how good his off the play is. If Fields gets back to his form before around the time of the Melo trade, then he's what we need, somebody who gets plays done off the ball when Melo and STAT are on the floor.

Let's say Shumpert's off the ball play is good/great, him starting depends if Fields can still be good on offense without Baron.

With Baron, STAT, and Melo on the floor at the same time, there's no need for another player who's a good ball handler and is a scorer. The only reason I think Shumpert should take Fields spot at starting SG is if Fields returns to his good form and Chandler is the only one bringing the defense. We can't allow Chandler to be getting hit that much.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Melo also uses a high/hard dribble, and he's in full control of it.

Red

TYPE-A
He's clearly better than...

Bambi-bambi-22342345-450-336.gif

BAMBI
FIELDS

Like Tiger Woods and so many others...

I think he's lost it. It's now in his

mri_brain.jpg
:poke:

and he's better than streaky ass Douglas. I thought TD could learn to run the point but he's stuck in combo-guard mode, thus he should be coming off the bench.

knicks-nets-basketball1-460x307.jpg

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Red: probably you missed tonight's game, but Shump wasn't any better than Landry, moreover he was worse shooting just 17% (compared to Landry's 33%). This kid needs time, he isn't a starter yet, I give him credit but today he showed some dumb shot selecetion, nothing more... I'd understand that "he's lost it" talk after 30-40 games of the regular season, but if a guy looks lost in his second game then something's wrong...

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
for now.. fields should start.

i like shump alot. but right now hes more suited to learn from and eat gd off teams second units.

Red

TYPE-A
@Red: probably you missed tonight's game, but Shump wasn't any better than Landry, moreover he was worse shooting just 17% (compared to Landry's 33%). This kid needs time, he isn't a starter yet, I give him credit but today he showed some dumb shot selecetion, nothing more... I'd understand that "he's lost it" talk after 30-40 games of the regular season, but if a guy looks lost in his second game then something's wrong...

I did see the game and here is the issue...

You and others are thinking that this is a competition bt. Fields & shump, whoevere gets the best Stats in pre-season games should start.

That's incorrect.

What I (and you) should be noticing is WHO FITS BETTER IN THE STARTING LINE-UP. Of course we will take many things into account like Fields avg. < 2points in the playoffs, or his nosedive when Melo arrived.

But more improtantly its "what do we need, and who brings it"?

We don't need a no-show hustle rebounder at the two! Especially one who can't guard his position.

I've already noticed that Imax CAN guard the 1 or 2 pos.

He has speed, the latteral quickness, and technique to do so where Fields doesn't. Its that simple.

Imax has what's needed in the starting rotation with potentially 3 TOP scorers (+ B Diddy) that's defense and being athletically gifted to surpass what Fields does.

+ He has more heart.

Bambi Fields is a quintessential "hustle" player. Run plays for him with the 2nd unit, build his confidence perhaps but...

Bambi Doesn't have the mental make-up to mesh with stars we have in the trenches. He's nervous and thinking too much.

Imax has swagger- he fits better. Trust.