OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

Red

TYPE-A
We've seen the highlights...
We got a taste of his talents first hand during the Knicks 1st pre-season game...
NBA size (6'5" 220lbs)
Speed
PG pedigree from Georgia Tech where he led his team in Points, reb, and assists
Budding jumper
Loves to play defense
What can't thiz kid do?

When Davis gets back in a few weeks, D?Antoni will have tough decisions to make. In the preseason opener Saturday in Newark, the backup unit of Mike Bibby and rookie Iman Shumpert outplayed the starting tandem of Douglas and Landry Fields.
Fields was 2 of 12. Douglas and Fields combined to hit just 2 of 9 treys. It is possible that by February, the starting backcourt will be Davis and Shumpert, who glittered in his Knicks debut with 16 points. Douglas and Fields would become shooting-guard reserves with Bibby backing up Davis at the point.
Asked Shumpert?s future position and role, D?Antoni said of his first-round pick, ?It?s hard to tag him. He?s been really good with the ball. So far his decision-making is good. He could be a starting 1 or starting 2. He?s got a pretty high ceiling.??

Ok, ok I know it's early. I know we have no idea how Shump will look against the best in the EC
Rose, Rondo, etc...

And as predicted, the Shump vs Fields debate will be in full-swing

Who's better (or will be)?

Speed?
Handle?
IQ?
Passing?
Defense?
Offense?

skisloper

Starter
Start Iman at point and leave fields at shooting guard....

If it works we are set for years to come ....if it does not then switch it up...

Fileds will do the scrub work.....

Coach considers Iman a 1 or 2 guard....so if thats the case make him a 1 guard and go for it.......

wonder if we can trade douglas for a back-up forward

Red

TYPE-A
No, don't trade TD or Fields.

In this abbreviated season we need depth, and in my opinion we have it.

We may sit or reduce minutes some games as a strategy. Maybe start Imax at the 1 or 2. Maybe it's Bibby another day. Rest is key while figuring out the best rotation.

I include Jerome Jordan as depth also.

PG: Imax, B-Diddy, TD, Bibby
SG: Imax, Fields, TD, B-Diddy
SF: Melo, Balkman, Fields
PF: STAT, Jorts, JJ
C: TC, JJ, JJ

Plus we have two more players from DAL

We have depth- we just need to figure out who plays where

Red

TYPE-A
Mike D'Antoni*isn't sure if*Iman Shumpert*can play the two guard or run the point.*

He just knows the rookie can play.*

"He?s going to be a multi-purpose player," D'Antoni said on Sunday. "He might become a starting point, he might become as starting two. I think it will depend on his teammates more than what he does. He?ll be good at either position, should be. He has a pretty high ceiling."*

Shumpert impressed his teammates and coaches with a 16-point performance in just 16 minutes on the floor in the Knicks' preseason opener against New Jersey. Shumpert hit six of his 11 shots.*

D'Antoni also did not rule out the possibility that Shumpert, at 6-5 and 220 pounds, can play at small forward because of his defensive prowess.*

We can't become a defensive team with TD & Fields in the back-court.

One or both are better suited coming off the bench.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I feel like if we would have gotten Baron Davis and Deshawn Stevenson and let Toney Douglas, Landry Fields and Iman Shumpert come off the bench then we would have been set, 2 proven vets starting and 3 young energetic guys coming off the bench to spell Davis, Stevenson and even Anthony

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
IMAX (cool nick by the way) could be a starter at #2 only with fair share of minutes with Landry. Of course I'm aware of Fields' lack of offense lately, but still this dude is a rebounding beast and generally a decent defender. Don't cross him off the roster so easily. Baron will be our starting point guard, nothing against Toney, like this guy, one of my favorite Knicks, but he will contribute more to this team coming off the bench, without any pressure.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Probably the biggest Shump fan in the world (I already had customed made his jersey before the lockout was over) yet we need to slow down a bit on our expectations.

We should bring him along slowly, he statistically had a good game, but there were a couple of wild moments that mean nothing in a Pre Season game, but won't fly during the regular season, and he's a rookie that's what you expect!

Again his comfort level out there was beyond mature and I think he will prove to be a starter before long, but lets wait.

Russell Westbrook and Steph Curry came off the bench and neither was the 6th man! Wilson sat the bench for much of his rookie season with us!

Shump showed Saturday the potential in what we have, but lets give it time, the worst thing is to throw him to the Wolves and have him dealing with a loss of confidence (although this kid's confidence and maturity is unreal).

I would love for him to start....just not right now, ideally around Feb.

If we start him now its more about Laundry's lack of production than Shumps skilll level, which would be a problem!

Really we should all be pulling for Laundry because his skill set is perfect for what this team needs.....Shump I believe when he gets there will be much better, but for now bring Shump along and hopefully Laundry can do what he needs to (rebound, defend, and score on cuts and wide open looks).

CA7

Scoring Champ
Fields needs to work on his shooting mechanics his release is too slow, he ends up pump faking most of the time, he needs a Korver type release or at least jump on his shot I mean damn, anyway I love his intangibles but he's better suited as a 3, In D'Antoni's system his 1's and 2's are generally interchangable I mean look at Nash and Barbosa both could handle the rock effectively. I mean if D'Antoni had say Rubio and Barea as his starting guards he'd be a lot less stressed out but thats just my opinion

The very minute we drafted him I knew he was a perfect fit for the system. Athletic, tall, defensive minded, energetic fast pacer, young legs. We really don't need broken down vets unless they come of the pinewood. I'll take Iman over any of the PG's we have at the moment. When Stat and Melo are double team...Iman will look awesome.

KingCharles34

All Star
Get Fields the f*ck outta there. He didnt do sh*t once we got Melo last year, and so far in one pre season game he hasnt done sh*t. Hes not a starter, theres not another team in the league that would even think about starting him.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Get Fields the f*ck outta there. He didnt do sh*t once we got Melo last year, and so far in one pre season game he hasnt done sh*t. Hes not a starter, theres not another team in the league that would even think about starting him.

I wouldn't go that far I would just rather him be the back up 3 and get a knock down shooter/defender with solid ball handling at the 2 ala Deshawn Stevenson and have fresh young legs off the bench in Douglas/Shumpert/Fields

DrB

Benchwarmer
Fields needs to work on his shooting mechanics his release is too slow, he ends up pump faking most of the time, he needs a Korver type release or at least jump on his shot I mean damn, anyway I love his intangibles but he's better suited as a 3, In D'Antoni's system his 1's and 2's are generally interchangable I mean look at Nash and Barbosa both could handle the rock effectively. I mean if D'Antoni had say Rubio and Barea as his starting guards he'd be a lot less stressed out but thats just my opinion
For us who played the game, we know that shooting the ball required relaxed CONFIDENCE. I knew when it was "SWEET" and when I forced it and when I was lucky ala Shumpet's 2 off the glass aganst the Nets. Everything was falling for IMAX and his soft touch but Landry did hit some buckets as well. I watched the ENCORE replay on Saturday.
Shumpert will develope his shot and he already has the tools "TO CREATE OFF THE DRIBBLE".
Landry does not do that. He brings rebounding...some better defense than average and a scoring potential if the PG gets him into the flow. Everything is in a state of flux right now.
A ton of new faces as we are awaiting Baron Davis plus no pre-reason to speak of. PATIENCE GRASSHOPPERS.
Right now everyone has an answer for problems that DO NOT YET EXIST.
Ofcourse IMAX and BIBBY outplayed the first unit of TD and FIELDS...it was just one game with TD playing on cramped up legs. Relax bro's...eat a hot Patrami on Rye...and chill abit. No body here is beating up on Chandler like they are on Landry...his number were not stellar either plus Amare's numbers sucked...CA7 but you are only bashing Fields. Last year Amare played hurt and poorly at the end. We have not seen the old Amare of six 30 plus games in a row.
However if things do not change I will be forced to CA7 to my buddies list....lol. ONLY KIDDING

Last edited:
Yes, Fields has the potential to be a starter, but on this team he'll be better for us coming off the bench. As a starter he defers too much and has a problem adjusting to the starpower along side of him. He was a rookie last year, so I'm not going to fault him for his second half collapse.

He was just star struck a bit and had the best seats in the house (on the court) watching the Stat and Melo show.

With some added focus and a few adjustments to his game...he can be that stater...but for now his talent is needed when Stat and/or Melo is resting. Putting those 3 together doesn't seem to work well because Fields is too willing to give up the rock to the vets, often overlooking his own easy opportunities.

CA7

Scoring Champ
For us who played the game, we know that shooting the ball required relaxed CONFIDENCE. I knew when it was "SWEET" and when I forced it and when I was lucky ala Shumpet's 2 off the glass aganst the Nets. Everything was falling for IMAX and his soft touch but Landry did hit some buckets as well. I watched the ENCORE replay on Saturday.
Shumpert will develope his shot and he already has the tools "TO CREATE OFF THE DRIBBLE".
Landry does not do that. He brings rebounding...some better defense than average and a scoring potential if the PG gets him into the flow. Everything is in a state of flux right now.
A ton of new faces as we are awaiting Baron Davis plus no pre-reason to speak of. PATIENCE GRASSHOPPERS.
Right now everyone has an answer for problems that DO NOT YET EXIST.
Ofcourse IMAX and BIBBY outplayed the first unit of TD and FIELDS...it was just one game with TD playing on cramped up legs. Relax bro's...eat a hot Patrami on Rye...and chill abit. No body here is beating up on Chandler like they are on Landry...his number were not stellar either plus Amare's numbers sucked...CA7 but you are only bashing Fields. Last year Amare played hurt and poorly at the end. We have not seen the old Amare of six 30 plus games in a row.
However if things do not change I will be forced to CA7 to my buddies list....lol. ONLY KIDDING

I'm not worried about Amar'e, Carmelo, Tyson, Bibby or Baron everyone else is going to give us on and off days the thing is D'Antoni is in love with Fields and he has reason to be but in order for him to ultimately be more effective he needs to develop a better jump shot, mechanic wise, he shot 39% last year but he didnt attempt much, this year he will have 5-9 open looks a game and if he cant get them off, let along knock them down he becomes a liability. He doesn't need a Ray Allen type release but at least a shot where he can catch and rise quickly and flick his wrist and know 44% of the time its falling in.........I'm bashing him its called constructive criticism I want him to be very good and his next step is developing that catch and shoot ability he knows it he said it himself

Red

TYPE-A
Yes, Fields has the potential to be a starter, but on this team he'll be better for us coming off the bench. As a starter he defers too much and has a problem adjusting to the starpower along side of him. He was a rookie last year, so I'm not going to fault him for his second half collapse.

He was just star struck a bit and had the best seats in the house (on the court) watching the Stat and Melo show.

With some added focus and a few adjustments to his game...he can be that stater...but for now his talent is needed when Stat and/or Melo is resting. Putting those 3 together doesn't seem to work well because Fields is too willing to give up the rock to the vets, often overlooking his own easy opportunities.

Yeah...

That's called pasivity, whereas Imax seems aggressive.

Its still a question but why "force" Fields knowing what he brings?

Hypothetically picture Fields on one of these playoff teams
CHI, BOS, MIA, MEM, DAL, OKC, etc...

All those teams have better sg's, and Fields would be a bench player on those squads.

Now, replacing any of those teams sg's with Fields, and we WON'T see a major drop off because Fields is a good all-around player, but still not a starter.

Now picture Fields playing defense against those playoff teams sg's... he can't be relied on to shut any of them down.

So in conclusion, Fields is a starter by default. If Shum continues to impress, moving him into the starting rotation is better sooner than later.

All we need to see is Imax vs Rose, Rondo, etc... he already held his own vs D. Williams.:teeth:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I've always liked Fields, but his ceiling is not that high. He isn't really going to get a whole lot better from how he was playing in the first half of last season - mostly because he's already 22, and most of his development has already happened.

Iman on the other hand I think has a higher ceiling because he's much more athletic. Fields is a good player, but I think Fields is a good roleplayer on a playoff team.

DrB

Benchwarmer
I'm not worried about Amar'e, Carmelo, Tyson, Bibby or Baron everyone else is going to give us on and off days the thing is D'Antoni is in love with Fields and he has reason to be but in order for him to ultimately be more effective he needs to develop a better jump shot, mechanic wise, he shot 39% last year but he didnt attempt much, this year he will have 5-9 open looks a game and if he cant get them off, let along knock them down he becomes a liability. He doesn't need a Ray Allen type release but at least a shot where he can catch and rise quickly and flick his wrist and know 44% of the time its falling in.........I'm bashing him its called constructive criticism I want him to be very good and his next step is developing that catch and shoot ability he knows it he said it himself

Ca7 ..you make excellant points on Fields. I surely am not his agent. To be fair he was off a college season and faded into the end of last year's 82 plus the post season. D'Antoni will not pressure the rookies by passing over Fields until they prove themselves in SHOWTIME. On Fields mechanics he's off the front rim with low trajectory when he's aiming the ball. On one of his TRES in the flow on Saturday he and it looked lovely. He is not walking with confidence now. I will cut him some slack for his 6'7" rebounding and smart defense. 39% will not work with this years team. Excellant thread I might add as this is core issue not including staying healthy for 2011-12 KNICKS.

Baron Davis is our starting point guard, hands down!

A multiple All-Star, Playoff-veteran and without question our most talented playmaker on the roster.

Iman should start at the SG position though instead of Landry.

Until Davis is fully healthy (he looks ripped by the way) - Bibby should start.

Red

TYPE-A
Baron Davis is our starting point guard, hands down!

A multiple All-Star, Playoff-veteran and without question our most talented playmaker on the roster.

Iman should start at the SG position though instead of Landry.

Until Davis is fully healthy (he looks ripped by the way) - Bibby should start.

You talking about B-Diddy? Post a pic so we can see (no homo)

This dude Bibby is hurt already. Save him for emergencies only & some tutelage.