The Davis effect

TakMan

Rotation player
Ok so this nba.com article gives us an insight into Davis' contribution to his last two teams:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/18/baron-davis-chooses-new-york/

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY BUREAU ? Have the Knicks found their answer at point guard? Maybe, but we?re not going to find out right away.
ESPN?s Marc Stein reports that free agent Baron Davis, who was waived by the Cavs via the amnesty clause, has decided to sign with New York?
Terms of the deal with New York were not immediately available. It likewise remains to be seen how soon Davis will actually be able to play for the Knicks thanks to a back injury that the Cavaliers, upon releasing him, believed would sideline the former All-Star for 8-to-10 weeks.
The Knicks, though, chased Davis aggressively in spite of the injury, desperate to upgrade their backcourt to support the frontcourt duo of Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire that was recently boosted by the arrival of Tyson Chandler to be the Knicks? defensive anchor.
The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat also expressed strong interest in signing Davis, who was waived Wednesday night by the Cavs.
SI.com?s Sam Amick reports that Davis will be signed with the Knicks? $2.5 million exception.
It?s a low-risk move by the Knicks, who are currently starting the erratic Toney Douglas at point guard. Davis? health is (and will always be) a question mark. But both the Clippers and Cavaliers were much better offensively when he was in the game last season.
Team numbers with Davis on and off floor
On/Off Court MIN OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg
LAC on* 1269 106.9 107.9 -1.0
LAC off* 1576 98.8 106.8 -7.9
CLE on** 380 106.0 108.5 -2.4
CLE off** 825 98.3 105.4 -7.1
OffRtg = Points scored per 100 possessions
DefRtg = Points allowed per 100 possessions
NetRtg = Point differential per 100 possessions
* = Before trade
** = After trade

Based on this information It's evident that Davis will lift the Knicks offense substantially. We have players who can score in abundance but we lacked someone who can use these players wisely. There are points in the game where lack of movement, good opposition defence and lack of motivation led to rash decisions on the side of Anthony and Stoudamire. Davis is the kind of player that can harness frustration, pick out a good pass, set the tempo and lead the team to making wise decisions more consistently. Two things stand out for me when glancing at these stats.

1. Davis makes the difference: Defensively his presence is not felt, however there is a sharp increase in the team's offensive productivity when he's on the court. He's got the brains and the skills to take this team to the next level.

2. Minutes: He had issues in Cleveland. If he can stay fit in New York, this team will gel, and gel fast. He suits the style of play requested by the coach, and - dare I say- he will be more of a fit to the team than Billups was.

Overall; good pick I say.

A good pick up only if he stays healthy, and gets himself in shape to be able to run the coaches system. Looks like he was hanging out with Curry.

finestrg

Rotation player
This guy's a damn good player. I have no doubt that he'll be motivated -- he wanted to come here!

Even if we don't get the high-wire act Baron Davis of old, dunking on guys, etc, no problem. The Cavs version from last year will suit me just fine. Dude still has PLENTY of game left...It's gonna be lob city with this dude man. I can't wait. And he's still very skilled offensively, so that when things get broken down, he can still score the ball himself very well. Such a creative, exciting player man..Great passer that's gonna get everyone involved and keep everyone fed and happy. He's gonna run this offense like a top (poor TD can barely run it at all)..I can't believe we just got this guy!!! You can argue that we still need minor pieces here and there, but BD pretty much completes this team. I'm ready to make a serious run at this thing now!!

Hey you guys see this yet? Vid of BD working the Mickey D's drive thru a few yrs ago out in Oakland..Friggin' hysterical! :teeth:

Paul1355

All Star
Ok so this nba.com article gives us an insight into Davis' contribution to his last two teams:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/18/baron-davis-chooses-new-york/

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY BUREAU ? Have the Knicks found their answer at point guard? Maybe, but we?re not going to find out right away.
ESPN?s Marc Stein reports that free agent Baron Davis, who was waived by the Cavs via the amnesty clause, has decided to sign with New York?
Terms of the deal with New York were not immediately available. It likewise remains to be seen how soon Davis will actually be able to play for the Knicks thanks to a back injury that the Cavaliers, upon releasing him, believed would sideline the former All-Star for 8-to-10 weeks.
The Knicks, though, chased Davis aggressively in spite of the injury, desperate to upgrade their backcourt to support the frontcourt duo of Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire that was recently boosted by the arrival of Tyson Chandler to be the Knicks? defensive anchor.
The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat also expressed strong interest in signing Davis, who was waived Wednesday night by the Cavs.
SI.com?s Sam Amick reports that Davis will be signed with the Knicks? $2.5 million exception.
It?s a low-risk move by the Knicks, who are currently starting the erratic Toney Douglas at point guard. Davis? health is (and will always be) a question mark. But both the Clippers and Cavaliers were much better offensively when he was in the game last season.
Team numbers with Davis on and off floor
On/Off Court MIN OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg
LAC on* 1269 106.9 107.9 -1.0
LAC off* 1576 98.8 106.8 -7.9
CLE on** 380 106.0 108.5 -2.4
CLE off** 825 98.3 105.4 -7.1
OffRtg = Points scored per 100 possessions
DefRtg = Points allowed per 100 possessions
NetRtg = Point differential per 100 possessions
* = Before trade
** = After trade

Based on this information It's evident that Davis will lift the Knicks offense substantially. We have players who can score in abundance but we lacked someone who can use these players wisely. There are points in the game where lack of movement, good opposition defence and lack of motivation led to rash decisions on the side of Anthony and Stoudamire. Davis is the kind of player that can harness frustration, pick out a good pass, set the tempo and lead the team to making wise decisions more consistently. Two things stand out for me when glancing at these stats.

1. Davis makes the difference: Defensively his presence is not felt, however there is a sharp increase in the team's offensive productivity when he's on the court. He's got the brains and the skills to take this team to the next level.

2. Minutes: He had issues in Cleveland. If he can stay fit in New York, this team will gel, and gel fast. He suits the style of play requested by the coach, and - dare I say- he will be more of a fit to the team than Billups was.

Overall; good pick I say.
I read that article.

The stats tell it all.

When he is on the court, the offense improves. We shouldn't worry too much about the defense unless he has to guard prolific scoreres, but that is why we have Douglas and Shumpert right?

Davis is a good fit.

I don't agree with people that say he is washed up or too much of a risk.

I get the possibility of chemistry getting affected by the guards on the team that were hoping for big minutes.

BUT

If Davis is on this team then we should not play Douglas and Fields 30+ minutes. Maybe Shumpert deserves big minutes as a guard, if he continues to be a force on both ends of the floor and excels over Fields.

Still we can all agree that on a championship team, Douglas and Bibby are not starters. Bibby proved it in Miami. And Fields has to be the Fields of the 1st half of last season to be accepted as a legit starter again.

Davis will impress and doesn't need to score. His IQ and court vision is under rated.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Baron is an excellent playmaker, undoubtedly. He just need to stay in shape and stay healthy, which in this shortened season, I'm not sure he can do.

Kiyaman

Legend
Baron Davis best qualification for this Knicks team is he is a "SLASHER"....
which had SG-Eric Gordon get into the rythm of slashing to the hoop.

The Knicks frontline (Tyson/Amare/Melo) do need a veteran slashing guard
with Baron Davis experience. Davis can lead a fastbreak but....he is a half
court setting PG.

The downside of Baron Davis is.....will Davis come to the Knicks with 100%
effort to win? will Davis accept the steady role of being a pass-first PG? and
will he accept being in lineups with young-guards TD/or Fields/or Shump on the Knicks?

If the answer is YES to all of the above questions the Knicks will be the
winning/leaders of the Atlantic Division with a contender-team for the ECF.

Signing Davis, should put Bibby in the starting lineup for the first 5 to 7 weeks
of the season. TD & Shump should start the 2nd quarter with an uptempo transition.

CoolClyde

McDavis

great video! made me appreciate Baron D even more.

good thing they never asked Eddy Curry to work there,
he'd eat that place clean outta burgers, fries AND mcnuggets.

good article too.