Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Ryan Gomes

  1. #1
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Ryan Gomes

    Not sure if the Clippers would be open to dealing this guy (actually I doubt it the more I look at it), but I'd put a call in just to see if I were Grunwald.

    6'7" 245, this guy has the skills to play 3 and the bulk and strength to play some 4. I think he'd be perfect here. He feels like exactly what they're looking for to me..Instant quality backup for STAT AND Melo..I've always liked him as a player -- with Minny and with the LAC.

    I'd try this package first of course -- Walker, Harrellson, cash and a future 2.

    If that didn't work, I actually might offer Fields, Harrellson, cash and a future 2 (maybe try and hold this future 2 out of it).

    They might like the idea of adding a legit SG with either Walker or Fields (and a bigger SG at that -- Chauncey could work at the 2--he looked great last night--but he's still a 6'3" PG playing off-guard), now that they lost Eric Gordon in the CP3 trade. And Harrellson would be a good backup behind Griffin and Jordan at the 2 big spots. They replace Gomes' skill and bulk with these two players..Fields actually makes a lot of sense for them -- he could backup Billups at the 2 and Butler (who's always injured) at the 3. And lets face it, Fields, even though he fizzled out a little at the end, is probably the ROY last yr if Blake doesn't get hurt the yr before. He still has nice value plus he's about 6 yrs younger than Gomes, 8 yrs younger than Butler..The Clips might also like the idea of shedding Gomes' salary (he's on the hook for $8M over the next 2 yrs -- 4 and 4). Shedding his $4M salary for next yr might appeal to them -- it'll give them a little more flexibility, esp. after adding CP3's salary, paying DeAndre Jordan, etc...Who knows, I gotta look at next yr's FA list again, but that $4M in flexibility could mean the difference in them adding a 3rd star of their own...They also still have Brian Cook around who's similar to Gomes (maybe even a little more perimeter oriented) and Fields and Harrellson together help make up for Gomes' versatility. The Clips lost a lot of players in the Paul deal -- they're still trying to rebuild a full roster. Fields, in particular, would flourish there I'm thinking. Imagine all the easy transition baskets he'd get with CP3 running the show..A good PG makes Fields relevant again in a big way...Toney Douglas does nothing to help Fields.

    For us, losing Fields would be tough but you gotta give to get. I love the guy, but for whatever reason, he no longer feels like a great fit here after we got Anthony. And now with Shumpert on board, we might have found our starting 2 for the present & future. Shumpert made Fields a little more expendable now. It would also open up time for Jerome Jordan at the 5, who right now looks to be behind Jorts on the depth chart.

    I dunno man..I think this could work out well for both clubs. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by finestrg; Dec 20, 2011 at 13:47.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    Not sure if the Clippers would be open to dealing this guy (actually I doubt it the more I look at it), but I'd put a call in just to see if I were Grunwald.

    6'7" 245, this guy has the skills to play 3 and the bulk and strength to play some 4. I think he'd be perfect here. He feels like exactly what they're looking for to me..Instant quality backup for STAT AND Melo..I've always liked him as a player -- with Minny and with the LAC.

    I'd try this package first of course -- Walker, Harrellson, cash and a future 2.

    If that didn't work, I actually might offer Fields, Harrellson, cash and a future 2 (maybe try and hold this future 2 out of it).

    They might like the idea of adding a legit SG with either Walker or Fields (and a bigger SG at that -- Chauncey could work at the 2--he looked great last night--but he's still a 6'3" PG playing off-guard), now that they lost Eric Gordon in the CP3 trade. And Harrellson would be a good backup behind Griffin and Jordan at the 2 big spots. They replace Gomes' skill and bulk with these two players..Fields actually makes a lot of sense for them -- he could backup Billups at the 2 and Butler (who's always injured) at the 3. And lets face it, Fields, even though he fizzled out a little at the end, is probably the ROY last yr if Blake doesn't get hurt the yr before. He still has nice value plus he's about 6 yrs younger than Gomes, 8 yrs younger than Butler..The Clips might also like the idea of shedding Gomes' salary (he's on the hook for $8M over the next 2 yrs -- 4 and 4). Shedding his $4M salary for next yr might appeal to them -- it'll give them a little more flexibility, esp. after adding CP3's salary, paying DeAndre Jordan, etc...Who knows, I gotta look at next yr's FA list again, but that $4M in flexibility could mean the difference in them adding a 3rd star of their own...They also still have Brian Cook around who's similar to Gomes (maybe even a little more perimeter oriented) and Fields and Harrellson together help make up for Gomes' versatility. The Clips lost a lot of players in the Paul deal -- they're still trying to rebuild a full roster. Fields, in particular, would flourish there I'm thinking. Imagine all the easy transition baskets he'd get with CP3 running the show..A good PG makes Fields relevant again in a big way...Toney Douglas does nothing to help Fields.

    For us, losing Fields would be tough but you gotta give to get. I love the guy, but for whatever reason, he no longer feels like a great fit here after we got Anthony. And now with Shumpert on board, we might have found our starting 2 for the present & future. Shumpert made Fields a little more expendable now. It would also open up time for Jerome Jordan at the 5, who right now looks to be behind Jorts on the depth chart.

    I dunno man..I think this could work out well for both clubs. Any thoughts?
    Hey do you think if we pile a whole bunch of **** in a large pile someone will want to trade for it?

  3. #3
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    WTF are you kidding me, bro? LMAO.

    Fields has REAL GOOD value my friend. To me, Landry was the Rookie of the Year in this league last yr and was beaten out by Blake Griffin because that dude hurt himself the prior yr and instead, qualifyed for the award last yr. Last yr wasn't officially Griffin's rookie season; the previous yr was...No matter. Blake's awesome and deserved it I guess. Doesn't take away the yr Fields had though...And I think Jorts is tough and can play. He's an inforcer-type that can rebound and protect a team's star players. Plus, I think this guy can play on the offensive end a little bit too...And on top of that, I'm talking about throwing in a future 2nd round pick and cash consideration. How is that a pile of ****?

    Plus I'm not talking about trading for the next Carmelo Anthony here. Gomes is a good player but he's a role player. We're talking about trading a surplus of good role players (plus cash and a future 2) for a good role player that fits better...That's how I see it anyway.

    I like the trade because in addition to getting Gomes who I like, it frees up more mins for some other players that as of right now, either won't play at all or won't play as much (Shumpert, Walker, Jerome Jordan, TD once Baron's healthy, etc.). I won't harp on this idea -- the more I think about it, I'm fine either way. I like our own guys too...I just feel this trade nets us a really good backup 3/4 that fits like a glove (a guy we've been looking for) and also frees up ample playing time for other players on the roster to get. Makes some sense, I think.

    I take it that by the lack of response no one else feels the same way I do. LOL.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    WTF are you kidding me, bro? LMAO.

    Fields has REAL GOOD value my friend. To me, Landry was the Rookie of the Year in this league last yr and was beaten out by Blake Griffin because that dude hurt himself the prior yr and instead, qualifyed for the award last yr. Last yr wasn't officially Griffin's rookie season; the previous yr was...No matter. Blake's awesome and deserved it I guess. Doesn't take away the yr Fields had though...And I think Jorts is tough and can play. He's an inforcer-type that can rebound and protect a team's star players. Plus, I think this guy can play on the offensive end a little bit too...And on top of that, I'm talking about throwing in a future 2nd round pick and cash consideration. How is that a pile of ****?

    Plus I'm not talking about trading for the next Carmelo Anthony here. Gomes is a good player but he's a role player. We're talking about trading a surplus of good role players (plus cash and a future 2) for a good role player that fits better...That's how I see it anyway.

    I like the trade because in addition to getting Gomes who I like, it frees up more mins for some other players that as of right now, either won't play at all or won't play as much (Shumpert, Walker, Jerome Jordan, TD once Baron's healthy, etc.). I won't harp on this idea -- the more I think about it, I'm fine either way. I like our own guys too...I just feel this trade nets us a really good backup 3/4 that fits like a glove (a guy we've been looking for) and also frees up ample playing time for other players on the roster to get. Makes some sense, I think.

    I take it that by the lack of response no one else feels the same way I do. LOL.
    No I am not Kidding you BRO.

    Ever wonder why no one responded to your post?

    Landry a Real Good Value? He played well for half a season and needs a good distributor in order for him to produce at all. Yeah he hustles and gets rebounds but when you're playing a pickup game who are you going to pick the nerdy asian kid who isn't good but runs alot or the lanky tall kid?

    Lets be honest, ask someone from outside of NY who Landry fields is and see the responses you get.

  5. #5
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by insanity4289
    No I am not Kidding you BRO.

    Ever wonder why no one responded to your post?

    Landry a Real Good Value? He played well for half a season and needs a good distributor in order for him to produce at all. Yeah he hustles and gets rebounds but when you're playing a pickup game who are you going to pick the nerdy asian kid who isn't good but runs alot or the lanky tall kid?

    Lets be honest, ask someone from outside of NY who Landry fields is and see the responses you get.
    WOW..Do you honestly believe what you're saying here?? I don't know what to tell ya pal. You wanna disagree with the trade proposal, fine, most do I guess. But don't come on here and tell me Landry Fields is some pile of **** and that nobody knows his name. Come on man, that's asinine. Just to refresh your memory -- this dude burst onto the scene last year in a BIG way: he earned a starting spot on a Mike D'Antoni ballclub as a rookie (looks like he's gonna keep that starting role this year btw, at least to start off the season); he earned the Rookie of the Month Award for the eastern conference at least twice, was a participant in the Rookie/Soph game, and was named to the All Rookie 1st team. Halfway through the season last yr, EVERYONE and their brother knew who Landry Fields was..

    And what's up with comparing Fields to a "nerdy Asian kid who isn't good"? What kind of rediculous comment is that to make anyway?!? Not sure what the hell you're lookin' at but this kid can play the game...He's got good offensive skills (people say he can't shoot yet he shot almost 50% from the floor, almost 40% from 3 last season -- monster yr for Stanford his senior yr too), has pretty good defensive instincts, rebounds real well for a wing, takes good care of the ball and is a lot better athlete than anyone's ever given him credit for. His instincts overall are surperb as a matter of fact (how 'bout the way he sneaks into the block outta nowhere from the rear on the 2nd of 2 FTs looking to dunk home any misses --- Michael Jordan's the only other one I've ever seen attempt to do that on a consistent basis). Oh yeah, AND he's also a good kid..We'll never be reading about this guy bringing guns to the locker room or about him getting busted for drugs...You wanna say nobody knew his name before the draft, I'll buy that -- I watch a ton of college ball and he wasn't on my radar. You better believe I know who he is now though.

    I still maintain this is a good trade that works well for both clubs. Comparable value is being exchanged here -- in fact, we might be giving up too much. Thinking about it some more, including the 2nd round pick feels overkill. That might be too much...Fields/Harrellson and cash for Ryan Gomes is a fair trade. Fields and Harrellson are good players; so is Ryan Gomes. It's a trade that suits this team better as of right now imo. We get the skilled hybrid 3/4 to back up both our star Fs that we've been looking for (and unlike a James Posey/Steve Novak---Gomes is in his prime, has the necessary bulk to bang inside and is far from a one-trick pony like Novak) AND it opens up time for those players that may be behind Fields and Jorts at the moment (Shumpert's gotta see time right outta the gate. I think that's clear, even after one pre-season game)....The Clips shed immediate and future salary ($4M this yr AND next yr) and get 2 very usefully young pieces (6 & 7 yrs younger than Gomes) to help reshape their roster with (a roster that took a talent hit with the CP3 trade in terms of losing quite a few quality players). Not saying I want to unload Fields and Jorts -- I like both and I'm sure Mike will find a way to make it all work. I'm just looking at this as a way to consolidate 2 good role players into one that's a better fit -- a deal that trades surplus for equal value in one player while also opening up ample PT for other players, most notably Shumpert. To me there's value in that. I think it could help but if something like this didn't happen, I'm OK with what we have. I like our guys.
    Last edited by finestrg; Dec 21, 2011 at 14:11.

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks Draft pick options
    By serendipity10 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Jun 21, 2011, 01:44
  2. Rex Ryan...Foot Fetish??? :)
    By MBlackVJesusP7 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 24, 2010, 17:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •