Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you rank Chandler amongst the NBA elites?

Originally Posted by Forrest17
    Not anymore. Hes close, maybe 12th or 13th but imo he is getting older and I think this season will be tough for him. His points per game and rebounding are still pretty decent but I feel like his defense has dropped off significantly. Over his career he is one of the best to ever play but the way I thought of this list is, if I had a team, and I got to choose who I wanted at center, who would I pick, and at this moment I would pick all those guys over Duncan at this point in his career.
    Yea i hear you.. He did kind of fall off last year (13 and 9, 2 blks). I'd put him at ten. I think he's still pretty good defensively, better than alot of the guys on that list imo. It's not like teams don't have to think about/prepare for him anymore.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Isn't Duncan more of a PF?
    He's a center.

When you think of the guys that San Ant has started over the years at the center position its easy to see it as more of formality. Guys like Kurt Thomas, Nazr Mohammed, that dude Oberto, Rasho Nesterovic etc.. Pop had those guys there to take pressure off Duncan by letting them guard the other teams big guy.

I think Duncan had his reasons for staying listed as a PF after Robinson retired. Him coming in as a rook w Robinson as the HOF center/cap on the team already is one big reason he started off his career being listed at that PF position.

I think he stayed at the position for a few reasons:

1. The problematic All Star situation. There was another center by the name of O'neal who landed there at the 5 annually. It would make it difficult for him to start every yr if he listed himself as a 5.

2. I also think he wanted to defy the stigma of the plodding bigman with limited skills, ie inside game only.. TD could/can step out & shoot that little banker off glass from angle, hit 20 ft jumpers consistently, handle well and have the offense run through him completely, all in addition to his dominant low-post game.

3. Lastly, imo he likes for people to think of him as the GOAT at the PF. He can't claim that if listed as a 5, no way.

Make no mistake tho he is a center.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Dec 24, 2011 at 15:39.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by fender0577
    Have u seen Duncan the last few seasons, the guy can hardly move or jump, and i would take TC over horford, because he is a better defender, leader, and he is 3 inches taller.Horford should go to PF were he belongs.Did you see what the Magic did to them a few years ago?, that' because he is to small to play center.TC fits with this team better than any other center, because he doesn't need the rock to be effective.
    1. Duncan last few seasons was the most efficient center behind Howard. Duncan's impact on the game still exist, despite him becoming slower and not being able to "jump or move". Skillset wise, Duncan is the best.

2. Horford is an NBA AllStar, and a better all around player who averages 16 and 10 playing out of position. He's a complete center that comes with a midrange game, mobility, strength and athleticism, rebounding, defense and passing. Horford also isn't foul prone and has a high basketball IQ. He rebounds well over taller centers than him.

What Howard did to Horford a few years ago doesn't matter. Horford was a rookie, and Howard is unstoppable.

We don't know if Tyson fits with this team, the season just started. You're too premature.

Here's the list of people to average a 14/10 (slightly rounded up) who didn't shoot like **** under the age of 25 in the 3 pt era:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

That's pretty decent company, especially when you consider Horford is playing out of position.

Chandler's impact is beyond the stats, but so is Horford's.

Veteran

You can win championships with Chandler as your third best player.

If he stays healthy...for our purposes, I'm inclined to rank him higher than Nene....possibly even M. Gasol, too.

Re: Horford, his passing alone merits extreme praise.

Horford is like a young Duncan Lite in certain ways.

There's only 4 Centers, if healthy I'd take over Chandler

Howard
    Horford
    Bogut, if healthy
    Oden, if healthy

When has Oden ever been healthy?

Superstar

You know what i hate?...when a person says when healthy.That's part of being good IMO, u have to stay on the court, and CA7, it does matter because a few years ago howard had no offensive game... at all, and he destroyed Horford.TC changed the culture in Dallas, that's all i'm hoping for.
    Last edited by fender0577; Dec 25, 2011 at 20:26.

You know what i hate?...when a person says when healthy.That's part of being good IMO, u have to stay on the court, and CA7, it does matter because a few years ago howard had no offensive game... at all, and he destroyed Horford.TC changed the culture in Dallas, that's all i'm hoping for.
    I'm saying when healthy and at full strength give me them 4 over Chandler but at the health these guys are at now I'd only take Howard and possibly Horford but in reality there is no one I would trade Chandler for he's made the defense chants at the Garden believable

12th man

It doesn't matter especially since you're not making sense.

Howard averaged 20.6 PPG 3 years ago. 1st amongst centers. If Howard was Ben Wallace, then I would understand "he has no offensive game". But that statement is beyond wrong, so cut it out with that stupid **** will ya? Thanks.

and lets not overrate Chandler. Dallas' best defender was Marion.

This is a tough debate... if we are talking center purely on a how they fit our team basis there is a lot more need for defense rebounding and playing off the ball. For that my list is this (PFs who could play C are included):

Dwight
    Horford
    Pau
    Marc
    Tyson
    Noah
    Duncan
    Bogut
    Gortat (potential elite IMO)
    Nene

When ranking all the centers in the NBA it would be more like:
    Dwight
    Horford
    Pau
    Nene
    Jefferson
    Bogut
    Duncan
    Marc
    Hibbert
    Gortat
    Tyson
    Noah

1. Howard
    2. Bynum
    3. Horford
    4. Duncan
    5. Gasol
    6. Noah
    7. Chandler
    8. Nene
    9. Bogut
    10. Jefferson

11. Bogut

Had to go with Howard at 1, easy choice. Im a big Bynum fan, I love the way he plays. If it wasnt for all the injuries the gap between him and Dwight would be smaller. I like Bynums offense more, he has more post moves.

Horford plays with so much heart, hes probably the shortest player on my list but that doesnt stop him. He can score, rebound, and defend. And hes been doing this, he gave the celtics big problems back in 08.

Duncans old and washed up compared to his old self, but he still puts up very good numbers per 48. Him and KG are both still valuable but almost half of what they once were.

Marc Gasol is very underrated, for the Grizz to have made it as far as they did with Zach Randolph (poor defender) getting big minutes at PF tells us how good he is. He alters shots, plays very good team defense, can score in the low post, shoot, pass, rebound.

Noah...I love his energy, he plays hard and is similar to Tyson Chandler but slightly better

Chandler...6 blocks against the Celtics. Once we get Baron back its gonna be lob city in NY

Nene...been holdin it down for a while for the nuggets

Bogut...most likely to move up

Jefferson...made it on here mostly because of his offense and rebounding. I dont like his defense, if he was above average defensively he'd be much higher on this list

Then you got Lopez, Deandre Jordan, Perkins, Hibbert, and whoever else

The center positions not as bad as some say it is, but i agree it cant compare to the 90's when we had Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Zo Mourning

Metro, im not sure why so many people get things twisted with Dwight. They think because he could still be a better offensive player means that hes not a good offensive player smh. Hes a big problem for every team that has to try and guard him.

12th man

Yea, Dwight may not have Kareem or Pat's post moves, but the man get his points regardless, and is the best at it in his position.

The center positions not as bad as some say it is, but i agree it cant compare to the 90's when we had Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Zo Mourning
    in 1995 you had 3 centers at top of scoring list. Hard to believe but it's true. And all 3 of them (Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson) where also great defensively. Current centers can't compare the last one that was dominant offensively was healthy Yao Ming.

12th man

Originally Posted by InGodsHands
    in 1995 you had 3 centers at top of scoring list. Hard to believe but it's true. And all 3 of them (Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson) where also great defensively. Current centers can't compare the last one that was dominant offensively was healthy Yao Ming.
    its a guards league now.