Game 2: Knicks @ GS - 28 Dec, 10:30

For A Rep Point - Worth 9 Points Total - Predict Toney Douglas' Assist Total

• Total voters

LJ4ptplay

Starter
3-13, 0-4 3pt, 13 pts total and only 1 point in the 4th. A team with two stars, a solid defensive center and nothing else but bench players can't win with that kind of performance from their "superstar".

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
3-13, 0-4 3pt, 13 pts total and only 1 point in the 4th. A team with two stars, a solid defensive center and nothing else but bench players can't win with that kind of performance from their "superstar".
Our team looks BAD.

Honestly....I wouldn't be surprised if Davis is gonna be our best player.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'm not gonna make a big deal about this loss but our starting pg situation needs to be addressed ASAP. TD is seriously throwing everything off. Dantoni gets the blame too for not calling any plays to help. Maybe he did call plays but they weren't creative to say the least.

Amare needs to rethink his offensive gameplan. The mid range jumper should be his 3rd weapon. I give him a small break on this since he's constantly forced to create his own shot. I was always lukewarm on TD but now I can say I'm no fan. He should be traded for a draft pick or a true sg or pg. (Minny?)

iSaYughh

Starter
I'm not gonna make a big deal about this loss but our starting pg situation needs to be addressed ASAP. TD is seriously throwing everything off. Dantoni gets the blame too for not calling any plays to help. Maybe he did call plays but they weren't creative to say the least.

Amare needs to rethink his offensive gameplan. The mid range jumper should be his 3rd weapon. I give him a small break on this since he's constantly forced to create his own shot. I was always lukewarm on TD but now I can say I'm no fan. He should be traded for a draft pick or a true sg or pg. (Minny?)

+1

I'd pry away Ridnour ASAP this season if we could. Even with The Baron coming back.

i) Ridnour would likely be our best starting SG if he was on this team (and certainly our best backup PG)

ii) He has a really nice, floor spacing 3pt shot

iii) It nips the potential crisis of signing a MLE-type PG after this season and Baron leaves right in the bud and gives us stability ongoing.

iv) He makes 4M/yr for the next 3 years or so; which means we may even be able to bring him aboard AND use our MLE then on a player like Wilson Chandler, versus being forced into using it on whatever PG we can get our mitts on.

v) Outside of nabbing Nash, he'd be the best PG for our team out of any potential 2012 FA PG's

edit -- could a Douglas, Jorts/Jordan, and a 2nd rounder do it?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think it was mostly about the Knicks' shit offense.

Seriously ALL THEY DID was sit around and watch shots fly up. That's it. This team needs to move the ball, they need to set good screens, call plays, and find a way to get a man open. We have two of the league's strongest and most athletic players and I saw but one or two successful drives to the basket in the fourth quarter and that's just pathetic. Even Jeremy Lin got the right idea in his last minute of play by trying to go to the basket, TD just ****ing stood there and chucked all damn day. The failed alleyoop pass to Balkman was downright pathetic.

And one other thing: STAT is far too young to say that he's a stretch 4. If he's a stretch 4, we might as well stop watching the Knicks cause STAT as a Stretch 4 is not winning us any championships or even a conference finals berth. This guy needs to step up his game and realize that he's probably the strongest and most athletic PF in the Game and PLAY LIKE IT! In his defense, though, he's had to create his own shot so much so far (Felton, though he was not perfect, at least had SOME point guard skills, Toney Douglas seriously has none whatsoever) that it's difficult to expect him to muscle his way to the basket past 2 or 3 defenders every single possession he gets.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
One of the worst attempts at the offensive end I've ever seen

I think it was mostly about the Knicks' shit offense.

Seriously ALL THEY DID was sit around and watch shots fly up. That's it. This team needs to move the ball, they need to set good screens, call plays, and find a way to get a man open.

I basically screamed this all year last year. I could not possibly agree more.

I personally think we have one of the more preposterously shit offenses in the game, and it's ruining the output of our players.

There is no other offense that I have seen in this league, that is more predictable for opponents defenders, nor susceptible to chronic bouts of stagnancy.

It is absolute sh*t.

In his defense, though, he's had to create his own shot so much so far (Felton, though he was not perfect, at least had SOME point guard skills, Toney Douglas seriously has none whatsoever) that it's difficult to expect him to muscle his way to the basket past 2 or 3 defenders every single possession he gets.

I agree with that, too.

Tyson Chandler

I pity the dude.

He is not capable of asserting himself in the horrible offense this team lumbered through tonight. He's rendered ineffective by STAT's immense shortcomings defensively.

Chandler will thrive off the precognition of SET PLAYS.

When we run isolation for STAT & Melo, literally everyone knows what is going to happen, so what to do as Chandler's man? Deny him an opportunity to be effective.

He is an opportunistic, hustle dude - like Fields - that is suffering - like Fields - under this morose offensive strategy - not that it merits the use of the word, strategy.

Carmelo Anthony

Absolutely pathetic. Disinterested sloth. The complete antithesis of opening night. WHAT THE **** WAS YOUR PROBLEM, Carmelo Anthony?

Toney Douglas

One dimensional - no rhythm in any sense of the word - potentially unintelligent

It was a shameful night for this team, and I don't understand what happened. I really don't.

Tomorrow's game is a shot at redemption. No point going any further until then. If there's a repeat (lack of) performance, shit's gonna get messy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think it all comes down to the coaching.

We can agree that Mike D'Antoni has a way more talented roster right now than he did during his heyday with the Suns, right?

Yeah, he had better roleplayers in Phoenix such as Barbosa and Raja Bell, but in NY he has a second superstar in Carmelo and we all know that the NBA is a superstar's league so the second superstar is far more valuable than a team of mediocre roleplayers who couldn't contain Tony Parker.

If Mike D'Antoni could score the living hell out of any opponent during his Phoenix days, and he has a more talented roster, where are the results? During the D'Antoni Phoenix days we saw Steve Nash make a fool out of everyone in the Western conference by constantly abusing the pick and roll with Amar'e and hitting his outside shots.

Now we have quite possibly the most versatile scorer in the league who is an underrated passer and more athletic than Nash could ever hope to be, not to mention stronger, and...we can't run the pick and roll? Is D'Antoni's philosophy really going to be sitting around and deciding either to chuck 3's or to give the ball to a superstar in isolation? Is that the best he's got?

Cause that's not going to win us shit. It's not. Simply put when we go up against the likes of Mike Brown, Tom Thibodeau, Erik Spoelstra, Gregg Popovich, and so on, simply saying "Hey Melo shoot a face up jumper when you get the ball" is not going to cut it. And this was against the Warriors without their best player.

I understand there are going to be growing pains. I get it. The Knicks' attempts to run the Felton-Amar'e pick and roll were awful and at times it looked as if Felton had no idea what was going on. But they worked on it, got better at it, and eventually seemed to get some chemistry down that was only ruined by Felton's terrible shot selection. We need to do something more if this team is going to go anywhere. Simply giving the ball to Melo and asking him to score 35+ points isn't going to work every night. The luxury of having a player like that is the fact that it COULD work on some nights, but it didn't work tonight.

Last of all where's the rebounding? Sixth graders who don't box out have to sit on the bench, where the hell was the boxing out? Where was the offensive rebounding? We grabbed 4 offensive rebounds and one was by Jerome Jordan in garbage time, we got outrebounded by sixteen and were unable to do anything. We have one of the game's best rebounding and defending centers, we have an athletic PF who can grab a decent share of boards, and we have a top SF in basketball. There's no excuse for letting Kwame Brown grab 10 boards in 11 minutes. That's just sad.

Yes, it's early in the season. Yes, it's just one game. But if this team plays like this against any decent team, there's going to be no playoffs for us. Get past the first round? Maybe at a pro-am if these guys can golf.

You guys told me to chill when I called STAT out after the Bosto game, now I'll tell you to chill out.

That's our team and it's not going to change, you better start living with that :thumbsup:

Atleast we're making the Playoffs these days...better than the 23 win seasons under Isiah.....but honestly, as long as James Dolan is our owner we'll never win a championship.

D'Antoni is a good coach, Melo is a great player, Amar'e is a good player, but these 3 are not fitting together.....not one bit, plus our backcout is D-League level....

I'd say time to rebuild via Dwight Howard, but it's obviously not going to happen. Melo and Amar'e sell tickets and Dolan likes D'Antoni.

So once again, our cap space is eaten up for the next 4-5 years and our roster is stacked with good, but also very expensive players that won't win us a championship.

I don't know what to make out of this situation, on the one hand it's cool to have superstars and hype here and I'm somewhat proud Melo is a Knick, on the other hand I feel very sad, because we've ruined our cap for years to come with no chance of winning a championship.

It's no coincedence that D'Antoni, STAT and Melo have never made it out of the Western Conference Finals...they're just no champions I'm afraid, but Dolan is not interested.

This is about money first and not success on the court.

Things would be very different with Spike Lee as our owner....

So bittersweet Knick-world here we come :cool:

Red

TYPE-A
We lost because I went to sleep at the half and put my powers to rest. I'll try to stay up for the Lakers but no guarantees.:smokin:

Oh and...

A) These first few games is just a continuation of training camp, we have much gelling to do. What's important is that we adjust and be in mid-season form when necessary.

B) What we see is a by-product of MOA system and philosophy. Players don't matter as we said. Long rebounds, no boxing out, no continuity on both ends, poor fundamentals.

metrocard

Legend
Rebounding and ball movement are our biggest weaknesses.

Ball movement is understandable since our team does not supply any good ball handlers who can make plays.

But rebounding is inexcusable .

We have Melo, Amare, Chander, and Balkman. These guys can rebound, but as a team, we've been god awful.

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;192109 said:
What do you mean, Red?

I meant that some issues we see aren't because of the personnel (or lack there of) like some have theorized.

We got better players throughout the years, yet we still see some of the same things which I account as a byproduct of MOA's system and philosophy.

An example is rebounding. Some argued that we were out rebounded due to lack of personnel (in the past). I intimated it was a result of chucking too many long shots, combined with too many players around the perimeter, thus resulting in poor positioning for boxing out and rebounding. Now we see what I was saying.

This system lacks fundamentals like player position when shots go up. It is predicated on "making" shots, but does not contain contingencies when we are missing, thus we can't take advantage of put backs like in other systems.

The total approach does not allow for mistakes or unforseen circumstances- there's one way to win, and many ways to lose.

We blew a 17pt lead in game 1 (with better players) just like we use to blow leads before. Only difference is we added a better shooter in Melo that can possibly bring us back.

My 2 cents...

Sage

Rotation player
Well, I only got to watch about 10 minutes at various points in the game. I'll watch it in full tomorrow but from what I saw:
  • Bibby turned it over a lot and telegraphs passes like nobody I've seen. Seriously he might as well have a neon sign above him saying "Bounce pass to amare in the post".
  • Amare is F-ing hardcore and can score against a triple team... except he can't, but that won't stop him from trying.
  • Chandler was about as useful as Jerome Jordan, which is props to Jordan, not so much to Chandler.
  • 19% of 3pt hit the mark.
  • Defense was atrocious.
Like I said, only saw a total of 10 minutes on my mobile ( I was out having pre-pre-nye drinks) but this is what I saw in that time.

Damn guys I fell asleep after the 1st half wtf happened???? I kind of didn't even want to watch anymore and just knocked out. I mean we were winning by 2points before I fell asleep but our offense was just HORRIBLE. Carmelo just looked absolutely LOST. Seriously, it looked like he was high out of his mind during the whole game. From the beginning when he just let Wright walk right past him while Melo was just in la la land (no pun intended), I knew he was out of it. As for STAT, I hate to say it but he's a ballhog. He doesn't make anyone on his team better, neither does Melo but at least he tries sometimes. Every time we pass STAT the ball he just launches a mid-range jumper, oh and now he shoots 3's too... great.... The difference between Melo/STAT and Lebron/Wade is that Lebron/Wade actually get everyone on their team involved instead of just turning it into 1 on 1 basketball every time they get the ball. Our offense is worse than our defense right now, we really need to start running some P&R or something! Anything!

all they did was pass the ball around and then wait for one guy brave enough to get a missed FG so they could turn the ball over to the other team for an open shot.

That's IT. That's ALL THEY DID today.
Omfg co-sign that **it. That's exactly how I feel about our offense, especially Fields, that dude is always just so reluctant to shoot like he scared to miss or something. I wish I could give you rep but it says I have to spread some around first.