Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I got two potential fights coming up in April, I got a new trainer too...but I may do a fight with my old trainer @ 165 lbs on April 13th and go down to 152 to fight on the 27th with my new trainer.

Spre, thank you for the love...I'm giving this sport everything I got.

RunningJumper: I think you would find your squatting much more effective if you added weight to it and cut down the reps. Doing 100 bodyweight squats is probably a good cardio workout and may build some endurance strength but if you are looking to build muscle/strength/explosiveness (vertical jump) I really gotta recommend adding weights.

If you don't have much weight available, two bags filled with canned good in each hand will do. You may also want to consider lunges. Check them out on youtube.

Props for hitting the squats though. You have no idea how many people I know that just flat out don't workout their lower body at all. Squats are one of the single best motions you can do for your health.

Props to metro for good efforts in his boxing career. I know a lot of guys that are into ball also are into boxing. I don't know what the correlation is but It seems boxing and ball go hand in hand. Maybe cause there's just so many time you wanna knock a motha****a out on the court.

Originally Posted by p0nder
    RunningJumper: I think you would find your squatting much more effective if you added weight to it and cut down the reps. Doing 100 bodyweight squats is probably a good cardio workout and may build some endurance strength but if you are looking to build muscle/strength/explosiveness (vertical jump) I really gotta recommend adding weights.

If you don't have much weight available, two bags filled with canned good in each hand will do. You may also want to consider lunges. Check them out on youtube.

Props for hitting the squats though. You have no idea how many people I know that just flat out don't workout their lower body at all. Squats are one of the single best motions you can do for your health.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into that stuff including the lunges (actually have done some in the summer I think). I'm not surprised more weight/less reps would be more effective, but I still loved the accomplishment of knowing how much I wanted to do, and fighting through that scary amount.

I haven't done that much exercise since the day of my goal because I've been busy (it's better anyway since my head still throbbed from not that much exercise). I'll be getting back to my usual workouts hopefully this week.

Not only is leg exercises great for your health, I also don't want thin legs. I don't get why anyone would focus so much on their upper body size, and have thin legs, unless they like the look

Veteran

^^ high rep work (like RJ's bw squats) is also very good for the mind. Good for building mental strength. Personally, I wouldn't make it a regular part of my training, but I often use "finishers": end of workout, I'll skip rope for a minute or two as fast as ****ing possible. Or hold a pair of heavy ass dumbells and just hold them till i gotta drop them.

Same time, 20reps of weighted squats is a HELLUVA tough workout that will tax your lungs and mind like almost nothing else.

It depends on goals, but I'd agree w Ponder that if you have access...not much beats linear progressive resistance training -- your weights go up, you know you're getting stronger (and prone to gaining size if you eat enough).

Anyway, i bought my first pair of basketball kicks today (outside of when i was young). Adidas' Crazy Lights....just found out they are for "hardcourt only" WTF I hope I don't have to return them.

Also got a pair of Adipure Trainers...basically like being totally barefoot. Look weird, but heard sick **** about them...especially for running and gym training...but apply to any sport since they strengthen oft injured **** like your ankles.

12th man

1100 lbs.

I'm 159 right now btw, trying to get to 155lbs

I was just gonna come on and post a thread on something like this, was gonna call it physical activity or whatever; wanted to see what other members do to stay fit.

So it's cool that I found this thread.

Metro, machines suck, you need the freeweights.

Gang, check out my power rack that I built last year. I hit a 1 rep max of 240 earlier this year before developing a stress fracture in my left shin (from basketball).

Now I'm starting squatting again.

Nice to know we got fighters on here...do some Muay Thai and a lil bit of MMA myself, no competing tho, maybe someday.

What do u think about cross fit workouts btw? just started it last week and been getting killed every week with the workouts. Just want to increase my overall athletic ability and I've heard good and bad about it.

Metro: That's really impressive weight especially at your BW of 160ish. Even if it is in the leg press. I was talking to a guy today that does a ton of lifting, deadlifts 600lbs easy. He mentioned that he has switched from squats to leg press (+other movements) because of the stress on the joints and that he can increase the weight more safely on the leg press. I personally want to be squatting 1.5x my BW before I will move off of the squats though.

NYNYK: Cross fit is a really great cardio/resistance program. it's not going to get you bench pressing the most or increasing your size but as for athletic ability and transference to sports it's got a lot of supporters. Personally I find that crossfit tends to encourage the breakdown of form and the development of bad habits around those form cheats. But as far as a program to drop fat and increase cardiovascular ability crossfit will be great. There are possibly other programs out there that may be better for you. depends on goals, sports of choice, etc.

Orangeblobman: That's really fine workmanship on the power rack! If i could make one of those (and had the space for it) I would probably be able to cancel my gym membership. Good luck getting back into it.

Also guys, i participate in a site called fitocracy, where i log my workouts and get points/acheivments for breaking milestones in thegym and on the court. If you interested in joining up use this invite: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] I can follow u and we can talk more about fitness there. Lots of helpful support there as well. I hope Rady doesn't mind me posting this here. I've found it a huge help to my fitness goals to have a support system like this.

Originally Posted by p0nder

Orangeblobman: That's really fine workmanship on the power rack! If i could make one of those (and had the space for it) I would probably be able to cancel my gym membership. Good luck getting back into it.
    Thanks, man! It's been about a year now since I built it and it went through its first winter, had a summer, now a summer again and it's really settling in, getting better with age.

Squats are going great I started pretty low but I'm doing them with much more intensity, much more control, keeping abs really tight. Progressing nicely should be around 200 soon.

I love the squat but it's becoming clear to me that my lift is the deadlift. I'm 6'3" with long arms, great deadlift build, so that's where I will put a lot of work in.

1.5bw squat is also my goal.

Veteran

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    I was just gonna come on and post a thread on something like this, was gonna call it physical activity or whatever; wanted to see what other members do to stay fit.

So it's cool that I found this thread.

Metro, machines suck, you need the freeweights.

Gang, check out my power rack that I built last year. I hit a 1 rep max of 240 earlier this year before developing a stress fracture in my left shin (from basketball).

Now I'm starting squatting again.

That's a sweet power rack.

I'm not big on machines myself, but that's still an impressive amount of weight to move no matter how you slice it -- and plenty of superb athletes use machines, so.....all depends on the person, and situation. I'm not a hardliner anymore, tho I personally haven't touched a machine outside of a rower in over a year...but at end of day, results are results.

I did a 3-month bulking cycle that ended last month. Gallon of whole milk a day, zero cardio outside of some biking and walking in nyc, and only 3 workouts/week, with 5 exercises in total spread throughout them.

Went from 200 to 225, with a pretty good ratio of muscle to fat gain. Strength -- through the ****ing roof.

Squat
    Deadlift
    Pullups
    Power cleans
    Bench
    Shoulder press

All sky rocketed.

Just switched back to more fight-based fitness, where I'll shed a ton of fat too.

Ross Enamait based training. Highly rec him, especially for athletes/boxers....but for anyone really. Great source of truth and information, and his programs are a lot of fun (crossfit style, but more flexibible and adaptive to your goals).

Sorry if I missed it isayughh, but are you training for MMA/boxing? just curious. I trained in wing chun kung fu for years and later did Jeet Kune Do/BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing/Escrma stick fighting.

I've since moved away from hand-to-hand combat training as my philosophy on violence has changed drastically. As I've gotten older basketball training is where I place my focus.

I've moved to a more "bodybuilding friendly" routine, away from the SL 5x5 program. To build size you'll need more then 5 reps in a set. Always focus on the compound movements and anything extra you do should be with the idea of improving your big lifts.

Glad that we have a somewhat active fitness thread here as I suspect some Knicks fans might be more of the "armchair coach/GM" variety. lol.

12th man

I don't use machines often, before I graduated with a bachelors in Exercise Science, I had to perfect a variety of olympic lifts before passing my Anaerobic Training class. This included preforming and instructing. Its easy to preform an exercise, but being able to teach the skill to someone else is a whole different thing. This is why most people who work out shouldn't be out given advice if they don't really understand the background of what they're doing.

The most I ever squat was 405 lbs X 5 reps, max a little higher than that.

I don't need to lift big though because I box. Squating is a vital exercise for me though because I do modeling for a calendering for extra cash.

My formula is 4 sets, with 15 seconds of rest cut in between. 12 reps each set with 40-55% of my 1RM in each rep. Last set I may put 3 plates on each side just to add the resistance.

I don't lift much, my ab routine is insane, planking for 10 minutes straight along. I work out my upper body with pull ups(200 a day, except on Weds and Sunday) and pushups (600 a day except on Monday and Friday).

I work a lot with kettlebells for strength gains also, but like I said before being an amateur boxer I do a lot of agility drills and work on the track, sprints, bounding, box jumps, I run atleast 5 miles a day by Yancey Park by Yankee stadium....I try to keep all my fitness components well conditioned, Strength endurance, Speed, Flexibility, Agility, Power(combo of speed and strength in certain time), Balance, Cardiovascular endurance, and my brain.

I feel like the brain is the most underrated muscle in terms in fitness.

Its improtant to always clear your mind before you work out and know how to get into the ZONE you're producing optimal arousal, I'll explain more about that later.

I have a fight coming up in the last week of July and I'll let you guys know how well that'll go.

BTW heres a simple tip for you guys.

Everything works.
    No one does jumpjacks anymore because they seem so basic, they're really great at burning calories and losing up the shoulders and hips.

But like I said, everything works, just work out. People are too caught up these days with the new exercise trends and doing the coolest workouts or copying someone's program.

If you work out hard to 60-80% of your maximum, AEROBICALLY and ANAERBOICALLY, and if you rest 7 hours a day, results are automatic for everyone.

5 days a week is all thats needed. 7 days in a week is just not enough time for your body to recover.

5 days a week is way too much for most people. You are probably genetically atypical in that you can gain muscle by just looking at weight haha.

2 days, 3 tops is what will give the best results for regular guys lifting heavy weights.

I'm on a truncated routine now where I squat bench and row one day, second day I deadlift, overhead press and bang some pull ups out.

Veteran

Working out 5 days/week is fine for the vast majority of people who aren't obese or severely weak/unconditioned.

It just depends on the intensity of the sessions, and what you are doing.

Sure, only well trained athletes can train 5x/week with intensity, including boxing etc.

But 2 to 3 dedicated strength sessions per week, along with several cardio (bike ride, tennis, eg) or metabolic conditioning routines are fine for people.

Of course, diet and rest are key. And everybody is different.

It also depends on your goals. My best all-around range of fitness, was when I was just training 3x/week, and doing zero cardio (except for walking and casual biking).

I've also trained 4 to 5x/week, including multiples in a given day.

Metro said the absolute best and most true thing tho: just ****ing train, train hard and with intensity (for whatever level of fitness you might be), and be consistent n logical with your goals.

It will all come together from there.