Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

@metrocard
    what're your stats? no homo, just curious

Can you train an underweight man such as myself to have the Randy Orton build?

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Can you save 15% or more by switching to Geico?

Sure you can budy, it will take a long arse time though. Weight doesn't go overnight. You would need the right mix of eating healthy and working out and you really want to be like Orton some roids and a good tatty artist would be needed as well.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by jason
    @metrocard
    what're your stats? no homo, just curious
    What are your favorite quotes for fitness?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Pain is your friend, It lets you know you are still alive

Believe and Achieve

Big isn't strong. Strong is strong.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.

When youíre happy and your smiling, haters are frowning. When you have a clear conscious and your mind is free, others are confused. When you can see where youíre going and no longer living in the dark, others are blinded by your light.

What are your favorite exercise for each muscle group and the max reps/load?

Quadriceps - Squat jump (12 reps X 80% of max)
    Hamstrings - good morning (12 reps X 80% of max)
    Gastrocnemius - Knee extention (12 reps X 80% of max)
    Soleus - Toe Raises (12 reps X 80% of max)
    Latissimus Dorsi - pullups (30 reps)
    Rectus Abdominis - planks(5 minutes)/bowed leg set ups(30 slow controlled reps)
    Obliques - russian twist (30 slow controlled reps)
    Pectoralis Major - Pushups (88 reps)
    Anterior Deltoid - Arnold Press (12 reps x 40lbs)
    Lateral Deltoid - Cable Lateral Raise (12 reps x 80% of max)
    Posterior Deltoid - Barbell Rear Delt Raise (12 reps x 80% of max)
    Tricep - Dips (30 reps)
    Bicep - Chin ups (28 reps)
    Forearms - pronation (12 reps of 10lb dumbells)
    Fullbody - kettlebells!!!!!

[b]Favorite Cardio?[/b[
    Jumprope and shadowboxing

Favorite Plyometric exercise?

Favorite Sport to preform?
    Boxing

Favorite snack?
    Almonds

Favorite cheat snack?

Fig Newtons

Height, Weight, Age, Body Fat %?
    5"9
    163lbs
    21 years old
    7% bodyfat
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    In the Process of getting my Bachelors in Exercise Science

Currently in home training, independent training at local gyms, and an aspiring boxer looking to go pro by age 23.

If you're 6"5, yes.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    If you're 6"5, yes.
    Crap!I'm about 5'10 1/2".

I guess I'll shoot for Allen Iverson.

12th man

Crap!I'm about 5'10 1/2".

I guess I'll shoot for Allen Iverson.
    How much do you weight?
    and how old are you.

I could write out a program for you.

Btw what's the fuss about this Ab Circle thing? I spend almost 1 hour daily in between treadmill and elliptical machine and this hot Mama on TV is trying to convince me that i can get better results in 3 minutes using that?

Is it worth it?

12th man

Originally Posted by th3realicon
    Btw what's the fuss about this Ab Circle thing? I spend almost 1 hour daily in between treadmill and elliptical machine and this hot Mama on TV is trying to convince me that i can get better results in 3 minutes using that?

Is it worth it?
    Nope.....not at all.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    How much do you weight?
    and how old are you.

I could write out a program for you.
    Last year in January I was um...120?Something like that.Let's say I gained a pound since I ate more since then and worked out a tad bit.I have a fast metabolism.Nothing to do with lack of eating.

I'm 21.

Bump!

I'm 23 now and weigh about 136-137. Been exercising/working out since about mid-August. I work on my legs every other day (jogging 20-30 something minutes) and some other short exercises, and do some upper-body workouts every other day. I want to get a personal trainer.

12th man

You need to eat everything.

Carb, protein, fats ó theyíre all essential to your body; the key is moderation.
    You need to eat at the right time.

Donít starve when your body needs energy, and donít over-eat when you have enough. Timing your meals allow you to stay full on less food.
    Your diet should fit your needs.

Diets are not one-size-fits-all. Everyoneís bodies, lifestyles, diets, and dieting goals are different. A weight loss diet for one person might lead to weight gain for another.
    Healthy dieting requires:
    TIMING (of meals)
    VARIETY (of foods)
    BALANCE (of nutrients)
    MODERATION (of portions)

Meat - Stick to white meat. It is easier for your body to digest, processes faster through your body, and doesnít sit around in your stomach making you sluggish. Examples of white meat are chicken, turkey, and fish. Funny how white meat happens to be lean animals that can fly or move quickly? Red meat is the stuff you try to avoid if you can Ė which is beef or pork. Maybe itís because our cows and pigs are fed crap that it makes their meat less healthy for the body.

Proteins - Besides meat, eggs, tuna, greek yogurt, beef jerky and almond or soy milk are an excellent source of pure protein.

Fruits and Vegetables Ė Everybody needs vitamins, this is a requirement to be a healthy person in general. Eat a wide variety of them. Remember the more colorful the better. Broccoli, Spinach, Blueberries, Apples, Oranges, Cherries, Carrots.

Liquids - Water, water, water! One gallon a day is minimum for everybody in general. Two to three gallons is a must if you workout hard and/or live in a hot state. Again, this is a minimum, if you can drink more, do it. Stay the hell away from alcohol, it will slow you down, fatten you up, and put you in more situations where you are likely to be straying away from the healthy boxerís lifestyle!

Fats - Honestly, this has more to do with your genetic makeup than anything. If you have a body that builds up fat easily, stay away from saturated fats for at least five days out of the week. Mono and poly unsaturated fats are good.

55% - Carbs

25% - Fats

20% - Protein

Try to maintain that balance.

Knowing WHEN to eat,
    is as important as knowing WHAT to eat.

Our #1 problem is figuring out when to eat. (Most people know what to eat. Fruits are good, junk foods are bad, etc) If youíre eating healthy but still not losing weight, itís probably your timing thatís off. If you donít eat at the right time, it matters very little whether you eat healthy or notĖbecause the food gets transformed into fat anyway!

The #1 diet problem
    Not eating when the body needs food,
    and then over-eating when finally eating.

Ö so when do we eat?

The bodyís daily energy use

Your body is constantly using energy, spiking its energy use during your workout.
    Your diet should follow your energy use as closely as possible.

Bad diet plan of eating 3 big meals a day.

over-eating converts surplus nutrients to fat
    fewer meals leaves you hungry & weak in between meals
    starving often leads to more over-eating
    One of the biggest diet mistakes is waiting too long in between meals. If you wait till your stomach is grumbling, your body is already starving (decreased energy and recovery rate). Extreme hunger is usually countered with the next diet mistake, over-eating, which increases fat storage. One mistake usually leads to the other, putting your body in a vicious cycle of starvation (decreased metabolism) followed by periods of over-eating (fat gain).

Good diet plan of 6 meals a day

smaller meals keep you energized and full throughout the day
    snacks keep you from starving during long workouts and in between meals
    smaller meals keep your metabolism high while avoiding over-eating
    Eating smaller meals more closely matches your bodyís energy use. Your biggest meals are in the mornings and the one before your workout. Smaller meals keep you satisfied without putting extra calories into you.

Start eating before you get too hungry.
    Stop eating before you get too full.

Biggest Meal in the Morning

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Itís the first supply of nutrients for your day and kickstarts your bodyís metabolism. Once you have a full breakfast, you can make it through the rest of the day on smaller meals to avoid getting hungry. Donít be silly and skip breakfast as part of your weight loss plan. This leaves you hungry and sends your body into starvation mode (decreasing metabolism), making it stingy for energy and storing everything you eat as fat. You You need to have energy to start your day; you need to eat good breakfast.

Breakfast AFTER Your Morning Run

If you do your runs in the morning, itís best to eat breakfast after that. First off, running on a full stomach is a terrible idea. Secondly, running on an empty stomach helps you lose weight because your body will be burning off stored fat instead of the food you ate that day. Itís not necessary to do your runs in the morning, but the common belief is that it burns off fat stored from the previous night and energizes you for the day.

Aside from breakfast, the workout meal is the second and only other big meal on your training day

Veteran

Most diets arenít about action; theyíre about thoughts.
    You spend mad time thinking about not having food.
    Either you follow your diet or you donít. Itís all or nothing.

If only you had the willpower to step away from the mayonnaise. If only you could stop after four Pringles. If only you had the power, the strength, the discipline, the cojones, the energy, the drive, the motivation to control your waist, then youíd finally have the body you want. Youíve placed all the responsibility for dietary success or failure on your little 3-pound brain.

But you canít defeat nature.
    Truth is, your body is built for eating. Itís full of hormones and neurotransmitters whose jobs roughly translate into "pass the pound cake."

example:
    Overeating is like drug addiction. Studies show that obese people have reward centers in their brain similar to the reward centers of drug addicts.
    Stress eating is cyclical. When you eat to reduce stress, you activate the reward centers of your brain. When the feel-good effects wear off, you reach again for the thing that made you feel relaxed: food.
    Heavy people respond differently to certain foods. For example, in heavy people, the parietal region of the brain -- the control center for the tongue, lips, and mouth -- is activated by sugar. In skinny people, it isnít.

To expect that your will or your fortitude can override chemical messages like these is the equivalent of seeing my ex override being an attention whore.

To get on the road to waist management and stay there, you have to first strip away the guilt that comes with eating, the guilt that comes with diets, and the guilt that comes with occasionally enjoying foods that arenít at the platinum level on healthy-eating charts.

And you have to start listening to your body and responding intelligently to your cravings and your emotions. You have to train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right.

Over time, youíll learn what your body is saying and why, and youíll learn how to eat right to manage those cravings. Because the unrecognized truth about dieting is that when you stop overthinking, youíll stop overeating.
    QuotedForGenius.

That's a premium 'article' on nutrition and diet right there.

12th man

Grasias bro!

Metro, I need some help.

Here's my situation.

I've really let myself go in the past 2 years or so. I'm about 6'1, 225 pounds, but most of it is in fat.

Honestly I seldom exercise and I truly don't know where to start. I want to lose most of this fat and gain quite a bit back in muscle, but considering muscle weighs more than fat, I don't know how much progress I will actually see if I work on both at the same time.

I'm 17 right now so I know this is a pretty easy time to lose weight compared to much later on in your life and I need a good place to start and a good system to implement.

I guess I also need help on my diet too.

If you need me to get into specifics about my diet I'll be glad to. I don't think it's all that bad.

I somehow have dropped a few pounds in the last few weeks even though I work out every day. Why? I even do a little more than I have the last several months.