Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Today I was running at 12 miles per hour. Not bad since I haven't ran since September. 5K run through Pelham Pkwy/Williamsbridge Rd in the Boogie. Duration: 25:39(2:34PM-300PM) Calories burned: 386. My next goal is try to get 5K in 20 minutes by March/April.

That's a nice 5k time.

Started doing dumbbell snatches!!

Finally found a lift for that power component, and it's easy to learn and fun to do!!

Plan is to be dunking by February.

I started touching rim from squats and deadlifts and other strength work, now with the snatches, I'll be throwing them down.

Love the snatch.

I'll tell you what, Metro, I'm gonna do a 5K after two months of snatching and see what it did for my time. My guess is that I'm gonna get 28 at least, just from snatching and squats and deadlifts, without any running training.

That's the challenge.

12th man

Well, I haven't squated or done any olympic lifts as religiously I did them in the past. Maybe once a week at most and not even heavy stuff because I spend a lot of time on my coordination, agility, and flexibility at boxing. I basically do a 5K sprint twice a week and do HIIT on the treatmill 2-3 times a week.

what's your high snatch?

12th man

lol, why did you delete your comment?

orange, I was maxed out running...it's not a literally sprint, but me running at 75% of my max. I run a 5K in 24-25 mins.

Do you have to be a troll about everything?

My high snatch? What does that mean?

Are you trying to ask me what's my maximal amount of weight that I snatched? It's unclear what you're presenting here.

For snatching, I only snatch with a kettlebell. Never maxed out before, no need to.
    Last edited by metrocard; Dec 08, 2012 at 03:49.

What's your max KB snatch

12th man

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    What's your max KB snatch
    I never maxed out before.
    I do sets of 4 X 12 on each arm or 4 X 12 on double kettlebells.

12th man

I'd love some advice from our fitness experts how to go about gaining strength/muscle.

I can't weigh myself right now but last time I did I weighed around 65kg, yes I'm a skinny dude, with a slightly unsightly belly

I posted my diet in the diet thread but I may as well reiterate everything here.

Breakfast - Banana, Protein shake (skimmed milk)
    Mid morning - Protein shake (skimmed)
    Lunch - Tuna + light mayo (sometimes in a sandwich)
    Mid afternoon - Protein shake (skimmed)
    Dinner - Chicken and boiled vegetables (broccoli, carrot, cabbage, pumpkin)
    Late night - Protein shake (skimmed)

The protein I use is a 100% whey. Sometimes I mix in a scoop of weight gainer supplement which is more carb based.

I'm doing workouts 3-4 days per week. I workout with dumbbells.

3 sets bicep curls x 10
    3 sets bench press x 10
    3 sets explosive press up x 5
    3 sets press up x 10
    3 sets squats x 10
    3 sets dumbbell lunges x 10

Something like that, it's kinda improvised.

Also every day I spent 30min-1hr outside my house shooting hoops, running around a bit (light cardio).

My aim is to gain upper body strength/muscle and lose fat... I constantly hear mixed feedback about whether these two goals can be achieved at the same time.

I'm confident in all my exercise form apart from the squat which I have a very hard time with, especially due to my knees being creaky.

I'd love feedback and critique from you guys about where to change things in my diet/fitness routine.

I think I might also be lactose intolerant/milk allergy which ****ing sucks...

12th man

4 X 12 with 30-45 seconds of rest in between.
    Try it for 4 weeks.
    I will change it up for you.

Snack on smuckers peanut butter throughout the day, I will come back to this thread and post some foods that will help you in your strength gains.

Originally Posted by smokes
    I'd love some advice from our fitness experts how to go about gaining strength/muscle.

I can't weigh myself right now but last time I did I weighed around 65kg, yes I'm a skinny dude, with a slightly unsightly belly

I posted my diet in the diet thread but I may as well reiterate everything here.

Breakfast - Banana, Protein shake (skimmed milk)
    Mid morning - Protein shake (skimmed)
    Lunch - Tuna + light mayo (sometimes in a sandwich)
    Mid afternoon - Protein shake (skimmed)
    Dinner - Chicken and boiled vegetables (broccoli, carrot, cabbage, pumpkin)
    Late night - Protein shake (skimmed)

The protein I use is a 100% whey. Sometimes I mix in a scoop of weight gainer supplement which is more carb based.

I'm doing workouts 3-4 days per week. I workout with dumbbells.

3 sets bicep curls x 10
    3 sets bench press x 10
    3 sets explosive press up x 5
    3 sets press up x 10
    3 sets squats x 10
    3 sets dumbbell lunges x 10

Something like that, it's kinda improvised.

Also every day I spent 30min-1hr outside my house shooting hoops, running around a bit (light cardio).

My aim is to gain upper body strength/muscle and lose fat... I constantly hear mixed feedback about whether these two goals can be achieved at the same time.

I'm confident in all my exercise form apart from the squat which I have a very hard time with, especially due to my knees being creaky.

I'd love feedback and critique from you guys about where to change things in my diet/fitness routine.

I think I might also be lactose intolerant/milk allergy which ****ing sucks...

Got me some Sanitarium PB with no added salt or sugar, or any crap. Ingredients: Fresh roasted peanuts 96%, vegetable oils and stabiliser.

I should just eat it straight out the jar?
    Last edited by smokes; Dec 15, 2012 at 23:56.

12th man

You may add some strawberry perserve jam for a little more taste. But yea, just take a couple spoonfulls or even help yourself to a sandwich everyday.

Since you're working out 4 times a week, you will gain weight but the added muscle will be the majority of it, thanks to the vitamins, good fats and protein in peanut butter.

I was going to recommend cotton cheese, but peanut butter is a little easier to eat.

Here's why Im saying this.

My ex-roommate was Pakistani, and dudes from India, Pakistan tend to be very skinny and have a hard time bulking up to their desire sized.

He was 5"11 and 135 lbs.

Within 6 months I helped him get up to 180lbs, and within a year he was at 190(which I thought was too much)

He worked out in a weird fashion which actually slowed the process and made his body looked distorted. He had flabby abs and a stronger upper body than lower body. He didn't follow my workout advice because he was into building strength in bench pressing and dumbbell curls...amateur type stuff.

Well, he did make changes on his diet (he drank too much milk, made his abs flabby and body soft).

What I want for you is just consistency for now.

Once your comfortable with controlling your decisions and being loyal to a routine, you can add some things in there because you now have a foundation of fitness in respect to your body and your gains.

From there, I'll present a new plan for you to continue increasing and gaining more results because doing the same thing over and over doesn't work forever as we know well...so, just enjoy what you're doing now.

A lot of good awaits in the future.

Yeah, I'm not bothered with just having arms and chest. I wanna improve those areas but I want a strong core, back and lower body also. It bugs me that squats and deadlifts are out of my comfort zone because I don't know any other effective exercises for those areas, with dumbbells anyway.

Thanks for the advice, if you can suggest any exercises that can substitute for the above that would be sweet. Other than that I'll stick with this for the next month.

Only thing I'm thinking of changing is my supplements, the protein stuff I have now is pretty average I think. We have a company here that does a lot of NZ made supplements which cut out all the crap, like literally everything.

In NZ we are not allowed to use hormones on our cows to make them produce more milk like in other countries, so these supplements are free of those hormones. They also have no artificial ingredients whatsoever and have an extremely high protein to carb to fat ratio.

I believe it's in the region of 26g protein to 2g carb 1g fat per serve. The only other things it contains is L-Glutamine and amino acids.

These supplements sound awesome, the only drawback is having such a low carb rate is unusual so I suppose I will have to increase my carb intake.

Apart from the protein supplements, are there any other supplements you recommend? When I look around it seems everyone is taking half a dozen different things... Pre Workout formulas... Fat burners... Is all this stuff actually necessary?

12th man

Damn that looks like it could go so wrong

Are you suggesting those for back/core replacement exercises? I could try it with my dumbbells.... Extremely carefully haha...

BTW, do you think 30min-1hr playing basketball 1 on 1 or just solo is suitable cardio? I'm not a big fan of running (knees again).
    Last edited by smokes; Dec 16, 2012 at 18:20.