Fitness Thread

smokes

Huge Member
Also does anyone have any tricks or tips for working out when it's really hot/humid?

It's like 27c+ in NZ right now super humid, every time I work out I start to feel sick from the heat halfway through and it's really tough to finish a workout.

I usually eat a sandwich, fruit, protein shake, plenty of water before I do my workout so I don't think it's a nutrition issue.

metrocard

Legend
Also does anyone have any tricks or tips for working out when it's really hot/humid?

It's like 27c+ in NZ right now super humid, every time I work out I start to feel sick from the heat halfway through and it's really tough to finish a workout.

I usually eat a sandwich, fruit, protein shake, plenty of water before I do my workout so I don't think it's a nutrition issue.

Cold bottle of water every 5 minutes.

You won't find that information online, it's like a hidden technique amongst exercise scientist...what it does is keeps your cardiovascular endurance at a maintain level instead of hitting a wall and falling from a plateu. High body temperature affected brain function and the drive to exercise, as animals (humans especially) we stop exercising at a certain temperature so it's natural.

If you can't drink a sip of water every 5 minutes, try 10. Just a little bit, not too much it may lead to a stomach cramp.

My dude, I never knew you lived in NZ :lol: I thought you were from the USA.

metrocard

Legend
Thanks for the suggestion bro but as I said, I need to add roughly 250g of carbs which would be 300-500g of pasta, there is no way I can fit that into my body.

I'm thinking something like fruit juice, or maybe I'll even just have to get a carb replacement drink...

Don't know whether fruit juice is suitable since most of those carbs are sugars.

75 calories per serving, fruit offers water, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients (those naturally-occurring plant compounds that have wide ranging beneficial effects on the body). The sugar in fruit won't do a thing to you since you workout already.

Now sugar in soda is a different story.

it would be very difficult to eat absolutely no sugar, since it exists naturally in many healthy foods, including dairy products, fruits and quite a few vegetables. The amount of sugar naturally present in unprocessed, natural foods is relatively low, and when these foods are eaten as part of a well-balanced diet, the total calorie contribution from sugar is very small.

So you're good.

smokes

Huge Member
^ Haha I revealed where I lived in that gameday video last year! "Coming to you live from Auckland New Zealand" :lol:

Ok sweet yeah that's no worries I can do a gulp every 5 minutes. Ice cold?

Damn I just weighed myself today for the first time in over a year. I've gone from 65kg to 77kg... Some of that is fat for sure but no way I've put on 12kg of fat (my waist has grown maybe 1-2 inches). I'm pretty shocked to be honest, I don't notice myself gaining much at all but I guess I have.

In a way that news sucks because I'm fatter than I thought but then again it's promising to know I can add 12kg of weight in like a year. If I balance my diet correctly I can hopefully add some more as muscle or at least maintain 77kg~ and convert some of that weight into muscle.

metrocard

Legend
Metro, you're the man

Ima start Monday.. whens the best time of day to start and how long of a break should I have before doing core?

You should do core after your cardio. Since you're trying to increase in size, I suggest sprints for your cardio.

If theres a place outside where you can run, use it.

For example

Monday Weds and Friday

4 sprints x15m
3mins jogging
4sprints x10m
3 mins easy jogging
4sprints x 5m

repeat this twice.

Tuesday Thursday Saturday

15 40 yard sprints
40 seconds rest in between each.

Try to begin your workouts as early as possible so your body can have enough time to rest and recover throughout the day and the sleep will help even more for recovery.

metrocard

Legend
^ Haha I revealed where I lived in that gameday video last year! "Coming to you live from Auckland New Zealand" :lol:

Ok sweet yeah that's no worries I can do a gulp every 5 minutes. Ice cold?

Damn I just weighed myself today for the first time in over a year. I've gone from 65kg to 77kg... Some of that is fat for sure but no way I've put on 12kg of fat (my waist has grown maybe 1-2 inches). I'm pretty shocked to be honest, I don't notice myself gaining much at all but I guess I have.

In a way that news sucks because I'm fatter than I thought but then again it's promising to know I can add 12kg of weight in like a year. If I balance my diet correctly I can hopefully add some more as muscle or at least maintain 77kg~ and convert some of that weight into muscle.

How often are you doing pull ups and squats in a week?

I found my frequency of pull ups and squats have helped my body fat go from 9% to 6.8% Plus all the cardio and boxing in my routine. But the Squats and Pullups made a difference.

smokes

Huge Member
How often are you doing pull ups and squats in a week?

I found my frequency of pull ups and squats have helped my body fat go from 9% to 6.8% Plus all the cardio and boxing in my routine. But the Squats and Pullups made a difference.

I'm not doing pullups at all right now, don't have the equipment/suitable thing to do them on (also I can barely do 2 pullups right now due to the fact I added all that weight with very little arm/chest growth). I do squats on all 3 workout days, however not sure how effective my squats are due to my funky knee.

I squat down to a low sitting position and back up, so it's not as intensive as a regular squat as there is a very brief (1 second) rest between the decline and incline. I just do it because I'm sure it's better than nothing.

My workout is like this, mon/wed/fri:

3 sets push ups x 12
3 sets bench press x 12
3 sets squats x 12
3 sets bicep curl x 12
3 sets overhead press x 12
3 sets dumbbell lunge x 12

metrocard

Legend
MetroCard I am trying to drop 30 lbs by May whats good with helping me out on this in terms of cardio program:beer:

Try High Intensity Interval training, it worked with all my clients. I had a 57 year old jewish lady from 42nd street with arthritis and breast cancer lose 17 pounds in a month. I only trained her twice a week!

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) describes any workout that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity or even complete rest. For example, a good starter workout is running as fast as you can for 1 minute and then walking for 2 minutes. Repeat that 3-minute interval five times for a 15-minute,

HIIT Protocol

After a 5 week conditioning period on a recumbent cycle, The High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) group perform sprints while the Endurance Training (ET) group performed a more traditional aerobic protocol, throughout the remaining 15 weeks. Both groups progressed in intensity. At the conclusion of the study, the HIIT group lost over 3 times as much subcutaneous fat as the ET group despite expending less than half as many calories. For every calorie expended during HIIT, there was a nine fold loss of subcutaneous body fat, as compared to the ET group.

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
5 minute warm-up at 50% HRR
Short-interval work
Initially 10 and later 15 bouts
15 seconds increasing to 30 seconds
Long-interval
4 to 5 bouts
60 seconds increasing to 90 seconds
Bouts separated by recovery periods allowing heart rate to return to 120 to 130 bpm

Heres my routine for you.

If you have access to a treadmill, this will be one of your tools.

M W F

HIIT on Treadmill
2 minute walk (at 3.0 speed) (warmup)

Cycle 1
1 minute run (at 6.0 speed)
30 second sprint (at 8.0-9.0 speed, not sure what you're comfortable at)
30 second walk (at 3.0 speed)

Repeat Cycle 7 times

That's only 14 minutes of cardio, which burns and equivalent of an hour of cardio.

Tuesday Thursday you rest, you can do long distance cardio (jog for 30-40 minutes)

On Saturday, I will punish you.

15 minute total nonstop workout
1. Mount climbers - 1 minute
2. Plank - 1 minute
3. Squat jumps - 1 minute
4. Jack Knives - 1 minute
5. Burpees - 1 minute
6. Side plank - 30 seconds on each side
7. Plank Press up - 1 minute
8. Plank 1 minute
9. Stand up and throw punches for a minute (boxing)
10. Bicycle crunches 1 minute
11. Tuck Jumps 1 minute
12. Plank 1 minute minute
13. Sumo Squat on the toes 1 minute
14. Jack knives 1 minute
15. Split Lunges 1 minute

Jackknife sit up

Plank Press up Exercise

Burpees

Tuck Jumps

YouTube the rest of the exercises for further instructions.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Thanks for the suggestion bro but as I said, I need to add roughly 250g of carbs which would be 300-500g of pasta, there is no way I can fit that into my body.

I'm thinking something like fruit juice, or maybe I'll even just have to get a carb replacement drink...

Don't know whether fruit juice is suitable since most of those carbs are sugars.
What you should do in evenly distribute the same amount of carbs, protein & fats in each meal (with pre & post workout slightly larger). So think about it, say you eat 5 meals a day, that's only 50g extra of carbs each meal. You may have to shuffle your carb sources around to make it fit in each meal, but with 30-40min worth of diet planning, you save yourself an incredible amount of time.

Try stick to cleaner carbs is possible, fruit juice in high amount contains a lot of sugar. White rice is a great post workout option as it is absorbed into the body quicker than a lot of other carb sources, refueling your body quicker.

Try to get your carbs from a wide variety of healthy sources, like white rice, brown rice, oats, wholemeal pasta, sweet potato, fruit (2-3 servings max as high in sugar) and vegetables. People often look to less healthy sources of carbs as they are highly calorie dense but these often have bad fats and high amounts of sugar in them. As opposed to the healthy carb sources which are packed full of vitamins & minerals.

Can do either but eating clean food while bulking up will result in you gaining less bodyfat along the way. So as shown in the table below, clean eating and diet may be the difference between being the guy in the middle and being the guy in the right, obviously having been working out optimally for a year or even more based on where you started.

male-body-fat-percentages-pictures.jpg

smokes

Huge Member
^ yeah but bro you're missing a ton of what I posted. I posted my exact diet in the post on the previous page, as you can see I only eat natural foods including wholemeal bread and pasta.

As I also said I do intermittent fasting, so I only eat between the hours of 12pm-8pm. Obviously I'm not eating 5-6 meals in that time.

My diet is balanced close to as best as I can get it with the foods I eat and enjoy, but it's carb light.

I'm already eating 1-2 bananas, 1-2 bowls of oats, 100g+ of pasta and 2-4 slices of bread in those 8 hours, I can't really include many more carbs as food, would weigh me down far too much.

Rough day:

8am - Coffee
10am - Light Cardio
12pm - Toasted Tuna Sandwich, Banana
1pm - Oats, Protein Shake
2pm - Workout
2.30pm - Protein Shake, Light Cardio
4pm - Oats
6pm - Chicken, Wholewheat Pasta, Sauce
7pm - Protein Shake, few spoons Peanut Butter

This adds up to roughly 170g Protein, 80g fat and 220g carbs. I'm about 20g light on fats and 20g light on carbs for rest days. On workout days I need to consume 470g carbs so getting the rest is difficult.

I understand where you're coming from but bear in mind I am a small guy and literally fitting much more food into my body is going to make me sick :lol:

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Well my brother, Crazy8s has moved the Fitness Thread into the Video Archive forum where guest can't see the thread and moderators can't moderate it.

I think Rady can fit it for us to get the Fitness Thread back in the Off Topic section.

Special shout to Crazy8s, this dude doesn't like when I get publciity or attention, he wants it all to himself and he's been that way since day one. All the effort he's put into this forum was just to do,, I never had a problem with Crazy8 contributing to the forum but he's been insane about getting attention and anytime I get in the way he fights about. Keep in my mind this dude never had a debate worth remembering and he is about is glittering videos and game threads from who knows how many hours he puts into those.

You guys should know his agenda, he's keeping close ties to people on this forum because he's making a new forum in February. He's trying to sabatoge this site and have a site to himself because of course know, Crazy is crazy for attention.

This place will always be popping. You can't force people out of here, harass them in the PM's and desperately bring people to Crazy8s new site. Knicksonline been in existence for a decade, it has established and recognized members that has gotten a lot of people to register and talk **** to or co sign with. That was way before Crazy when forum traffic was higher than the times he flooded the forum with his glitter.

Anyway, Rady if you read this, we need the fitness thread back in the off topic section, guys really were using this thread as a resource, a lot more useful than Crazy8s glittermania threads.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Started working out in the gym this Sunday with my friend. It's a lot more fun doing it at the gym than at home and alone.

metrocard

Legend
Definitely! Home is a lonely place with no energy to fed off from. Gym is filled with great people and *******s that have a lot of energy so it gets you going.

I can't wait to get back into my gym next week, I've been out with a severe illness.

metrocard

Legend
Hope you get health quick, bro.

Have you been doing any exercises?

In home jumproping, push ups, planks, ab workouts, kettlebells, shadowboxing.....very light stuff.

I know better to not rush my body back in my insane routine, I would just mess up my form and technique, gotta work on that again.

What you've been doing at the gym?

Have you tried front squatting? Did you ever like it?