Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

[CENTER]
    Week 1-6:

Mondays:
    Bodyweight Upper Body: High Intensity
    1. push ups: 5-6 sets of 70% max (if your max is 30 do 21)/90 seconds rest
    2. pull ups: 4 sets of 70% max/90 seconds rest
    3. dips : 4 sets of 70% max/90 seconds rest
    4. Chin ups: 4 sets of 70% max/90 seconds rest
    Training Lower Body: High Intensity
    1. overhead dumbbell squat: 4 sets of 70% max/90 seconds rest
    2. Single Leg Split Squat: 4 sets of 70% max /90 seconds rest
    3. burpees (google it) 4 sets of 70% max/30 seconds rest
    Core
    1. plank cycle: 3 sets of 2 minute regular planks into 30 seconds of side planks on each side = total 3 minutes 1 minutes rest in between
    2. bicycle crunches: Four sets of 40 reps bicycle crunches

Tuesdays:
    Weight training Lower Body: Low intensity
    1. shoulder press with dumbbell lunge(1:37 in the video): 3 sets x 10 reps x 70% of 1RMax 2 min rest
    2. single leg deaflift: 3 sets x 10 reps x 70% of 1RMax 2 min rest
    3. dumbbell swing : 3 sets x 10 reps x 70% of 1RMax 2 min rest
    Upper Body:
    Core:

Wednesdays: REST on the weight training, Cardio(15-30 minutes).

Thursdays:
    Strength Upper Body: Low intensity
    1. Dumbbell curls: 3 sets of 10 reps 2 minute rest
    2. Dumbell reardealt row: 3 sets of 10 reps 2 minute rest
    3. Arnold Press : 3 sets of 10 reps 2 minute rest
    Plyometric Lower Body: Low intensity
    1. Squat jumps with dumbbells across your chest: 3 sets of 10 reps 2 minute rest
    2. Split Squat Jumps: 3 sets of 10 reps 2 minute rest
    3. Burpees: 3 sets of 10 reps 2 minute rest
    Core:
    1. plank cycle: 3 sets of 2 minute regular planks into 30 seconds of side planks on each side = total 3 minutes 1 minutes rest in between each set
    2. bicycle crunches: Four sets of 40 reps bicycle crunches
    Fridays:
    Strength Lower Body: High intensity
    1. squats: 3 sets x 10 reps x 70% of 1RMax 1 min rest
    2. dumbell lunges: 3 sets x 10 reps x 70% of 1RMax 1 min rest
    3. deadlift with dumbbells: 3 sets x 10 reps x 70% of 1RMax 1 min rest
    4. Front Squat 3 X 10

Upper Body
    1. diamond pushups: 4 sets of 5-8 reps/30 seconds rest
    2. explosive push ups : 4 sets of 5 reps/30 seconds rest
    1a. Triangle Pull Ups 4 x 5
    2b. Regular Pull Ups 4 x 5
    3. Dumbbell Row Row 5 x 8
    4a. Shrugs 3 x 12
    5b. Face Pulls 3 x 12

Week 7-12
    Coming up....

But this is just a general program, you can add this to stuff you're already doing. It's really the most I can do since Im not able to take your measurements and give you a fitness test.

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    I've been going to gym for 3 years now and am not far from competing in my 3rd natural BB show, just incase you wanted to see my rough credentials.

Try wholemeal pasta, loaded with carbs, about 125g of the stuff is about 440 cal, fairly high in protein (15-20g) and about 90g of carbs (need to check individual brands though.

Other good options are brown rice and sweet potato. Other vegetables don't have a lot of carbs but if you have a vegetable with each meal that gets you passed the recommended 5 a day and might add 50-100g of carbs. Hope it helps.

Also, if your wanting to gain mass and have trouble doing so, eat something between 2750-3000 calories on rest days. You won't get fat by doing this. Keep cardio to a minimum max 2 times a week for no longer than half an hour.

And it's crucial to remember your diet is a 7 day a week business, many are tempted to be relaxed about their diet on weekends but if you really want to gain weight, stick to it. 2 poor diet days can honestly set you back nearly a week worth of hard earned progress. Good luck and hit us up for any answers if you have more questions or hit a problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion bro but as I said, I need to add roughly 250g of carbs which would be 300-500g of pasta, there is no way I can fit that into my body.

I'm thinking something like fruit juice, or maybe I'll even just have to get a carb replacement drink...

Don't know whether fruit juice is suitable since most of those carbs are sugars.

I got a car loan so I'm getting one very soon, so it's gonna be tough going to the gym and getting the diet for me. I'm still getting a new camera and laptop too since I want to be a photographer. Hopefully I can figure out a way to add in the gym and diet into this.

Metro, you're the man

Ima start Monday.. whens the best time of day to start and how long of a break should I have before doing core?

12th man

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I got a car loan so I'm getting one very soon, so it's gonna be tough going to the gym and getting the diet for me. I'm still getting a new camera and laptop too since I want to be a photographer. Hopefully I can figure out a way to add in the gym and diet into this.
    I'm trying a new routine where I wake up at 5AM and start my workout at 5:30 and finish at 7AM. I do boxing later and maybe another workout, but I religiously believe morning workouts are good for active people like yourself.

Also does anyone have any tricks or tips for working out when it's really hot/humid?

It's like 27c+ in NZ right now super humid, every time I work out I start to feel sick from the heat halfway through and it's really tough to finish a workout.

I usually eat a sandwich, fruit, protein shake, plenty of water before I do my workout so I don't think it's a nutrition issue.

12th man

Originally Posted by smokes
    Also does anyone have any tricks or tips for working out when it's really hot/humid?

It's like 27c+ in NZ right now super humid, every time I work out I start to feel sick from the heat halfway through and it's really tough to finish a workout.

I usually eat a sandwich, fruit, protein shake, plenty of water before I do my workout so I don't think it's a nutrition issue.
    Cold bottle of water every 5 minutes.

You won't find that information online, it's like a hidden technique amongst exercise scientist...what it does is keeps your cardiovascular endurance at a maintain level instead of hitting a wall and falling from a plateu. High body temperature affected brain function and the drive to exercise, as animals (humans especially) we stop exercising at a certain temperature so it's natural.

If you can't drink a sip of water every 5 minutes, try 10. Just a little bit, not too much it may lead to a stomach cramp.

My dude, I never knew you lived in NZ I thought you were from the USA.

12th man

Thanks for the suggestion bro but as I said, I need to add roughly 250g of carbs which would be 300-500g of pasta, there is no way I can fit that into my body.

I'm thinking something like fruit juice, or maybe I'll even just have to get a carb replacement drink...

Don't know whether fruit juice is suitable since most of those carbs are sugars.
    75 calories per serving, fruit offers water, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients (those naturally-occurring plant compounds that have wide ranging beneficial effects on the body). The sugar in fruit won't do a thing to you since you workout already.

Now sugar in soda is a different story.

it would be very difficult to eat absolutely no sugar, since it exists naturally in many healthy foods, including dairy products, fruits and quite a few vegetables. The amount of sugar naturally present in unprocessed, natural foods is relatively low, and when these foods are eaten as part of a well-balanced diet, the total calorie contribution from sugar is very small.

So you're good.

^ Haha I revealed where I lived in that gameday video last year! "Coming to you live from Auckland New Zealand"

Ok sweet yeah that's no worries I can do a gulp every 5 minutes. Ice cold?

Damn I just weighed myself today for the first time in over a year. I've gone from 65kg to 77kg... Some of that is fat for sure but no way I've put on 12kg of fat (my waist has grown maybe 1-2 inches). I'm pretty shocked to be honest, I don't notice myself gaining much at all but I guess I have.

In a way that news sucks because I'm fatter than I thought but then again it's promising to know I can add 12kg of weight in like a year. If I balance my diet correctly I can hopefully add some more as muscle or at least maintain 77kg~ and convert some of that weight into muscle.

12th man

Originally Posted by JoeBo21
    Metro, you're the man

Ima start Monday.. whens the best time of day to start and how long of a break should I have before doing core?
    You should do core after your cardio. Since you're trying to increase in size, I suggest sprints for your cardio.

If theres a place outside where you can run, use it.

For example

Monday Weds and Friday

4 sprints x15m
    3mins jogging
    4sprints x10m
    3 mins easy jogging
    4sprints x 5m

repeat this twice.

Tuesday Thursday Saturday

15 40 yard sprints
    40 seconds rest in between each.

Try to begin your workouts as early as possible so your body can have enough time to rest and recover throughout the day and the sleep will help even more for recovery.

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

MetroCard I am trying to drop 30 lbs by May whats good with helping me out on this in terms of cardio program

12th man

^ Haha I revealed where I lived in that gameday video last year! "Coming to you live from Auckland New Zealand"

Ok sweet yeah that's no worries I can do a gulp every 5 minutes. Ice cold?

Damn I just weighed myself today for the first time in over a year. I've gone from 65kg to 77kg... Some of that is fat for sure but no way I've put on 12kg of fat (my waist has grown maybe 1-2 inches). I'm pretty shocked to be honest, I don't notice myself gaining much at all but I guess I have.

In a way that news sucks because I'm fatter than I thought but then again it's promising to know I can add 12kg of weight in like a year. If I balance my diet correctly I can hopefully add some more as muscle or at least maintain 77kg~ and convert some of that weight into muscle.

How often are you doing pull ups and squats in a week?

I found my frequency of pull ups and squats have helped my body fat go from 9% to 6.8% Plus all the cardio and boxing in my routine. But the Squats and Pullups made a difference.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    How often are you doing pull ups and squats in a week?

I found my frequency of pull ups and squats have helped my body fat go from 9% to 6.8% Plus all the cardio and boxing in my routine. But the Squats and Pullups made a difference.
    I'm not doing pullups at all right now, don't have the equipment/suitable thing to do them on (also I can barely do 2 pullups right now due to the fact I added all that weight with very little arm/chest growth). I do squats on all 3 workout days, however not sure how effective my squats are due to my funky knee.

I squat down to a low sitting position and back up, so it's not as intensive as a regular squat as there is a very brief (1 second) rest between the decline and incline. I just do it because I'm sure it's better than nothing.

My workout is like this, mon/wed/fri:

3 sets push ups x 12
    3 sets bench press x 12
    3 sets squats x 12
    3 sets bicep curl x 12
    3 sets overhead press x 12
    3 sets dumbbell lunge x 12

12th man

Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    MetroCard I am trying to drop 30 lbs by May whats good with helping me out on this in terms of cardio program

Try High Intensity Interval training, it worked with all my clients. I had a 57 year old jewish lady from 42nd street with arthritis and breast cancer lose 17 pounds in a month. I only trained her twice a week!

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) describes any workout that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity or even complete rest. For example, a good starter workout is running as fast as you can for 1 minute and then walking for 2 minutes. Repeat that 3-minute interval five times for a 15-minute,
    HIIT Protocol

After a 5 week conditioning period on a recumbent cycle, The High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) group perform sprints while the Endurance Training (ET) group performed a more traditional aerobic protocol, throughout the remaining 15 weeks. Both groups progressed in intensity. At the conclusion of the study, the HIIT group lost over 3 times as much subcutaneous fat as the ET group despite expending less than half as many calories. For every calorie expended during HIIT, there was a nine fold loss of subcutaneous body fat, as compared to the ET group.
    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
    5 minute warm-up at 50% HRR
    Short-interval work
    Initially 10 and later 15 bouts
    15 seconds increasing to 30 seconds
    Long-interval
    4 to 5 bouts
    60 seconds increasing to 90 seconds
    Bouts separated by recovery periods allowing heart rate to return to 120 to 130 bpm

Heres my routine for you.

If you have access to a treadmill, this will be one of your tools.

M W F

HIIT on Treadmill
    2 minute walk (at 3.0 speed) (warmup)

Cycle 1
    1 minute run (at 6.0 speed)
    30 second sprint (at 8.0-9.0 speed, not sure what you're comfortable at)
    30 second walk (at 3.0 speed)

Repeat Cycle 7 times

That's only 14 minutes of cardio, which burns and equivalent of an hour of cardio.

Tuesday Thursday you rest, you can do long distance cardio (jog for 30-40 minutes)

On Saturday, I will punish you.

15 minute total nonstop workout
    1. Mount climbers - 1 minute
    2. Plank - 1 minute
    3. Squat jumps - 1 minute
    4. Jack Knives - 1 minute
    5. Burpees - 1 minute
    6. Side plank - 30 seconds on each side
    7. Plank Press up - 1 minute
    8. Plank 1 minute
    9. Stand up and throw punches for a minute (boxing)
    10. Bicycle crunches 1 minute
    11. Tuck Jumps 1 minute
    12. Plank 1 minute minute
    13. Sumo Squat on the toes 1 minute
    14. Jack knives 1 minute
    15. Split Lunges 1 minute

Jackknife sit up

Plank Press up Exercise

Burpees

Tuck Jumps

YouTube the rest of the exercises for further instructions.

What you should do in evenly distribute the same amount of carbs, protein & fats in each meal (with pre & post workout slightly larger). So think about it, say you eat 5 meals a day, that's only 50g extra of carbs each meal. You may have to shuffle your carb sources around to make it fit in each meal, but with 30-40min worth of diet planning, you save yourself an incredible amount of time.

Try stick to cleaner carbs is possible, fruit juice in high amount contains a lot of sugar. White rice is a great post workout option as it is absorbed into the body quicker than a lot of other carb sources, refueling your body quicker.

Try to get your carbs from a wide variety of healthy sources, like white rice, brown rice, oats, wholemeal pasta, sweet potato, fruit (2-3 servings max as high in sugar) and vegetables. People often look to less healthy sources of carbs as they are highly calorie dense but these often have bad fats and high amounts of sugar in them. As opposed to the healthy carb sources which are packed full of vitamins & minerals.

Can do either but eating clean food while bulking up will result in you gaining less bodyfat along the way. So as shown in the table below, clean eating and diet may be the difference between being the guy in the middle and being the guy in the right, obviously having been working out optimally for a year or even more based on where you started.