If this is not a coaching issue, what is it?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Can this really be blamed on the lockout? Notice the simplistic plays run by the Lakers, then take note of what our Knickerbockers do immediately after the Lake-show do their thing.

On this next one, Tyson picks and rolls without any conviction and steps into some waiting D, only the ball moves and finds Fields, who drives into the waiting D, it's kicked back out to Melo, who hits a shot over a man closing out...because no one went anywhere. After Tyson finished strolling into the paint, the only movement is Fields driving into a dude's chest, and then looking at Melo. Tyson has rebound position for a closer attempt, the Lakers have FOUR bodies in position for a long rebound.

How is any of this due to a lack of training camp?

IMG_0359.jpg

These aren't even open shots...contested and no chance for an offensive board. I mean yeah...some teams sacrifice offensive 'bounds for transition D, or setting up your half court D early. But those offenses usually try to foray into the paint and get high percentage looks since there won't be any attempts at second chance points.

What the **** is this?

IMG_0360.jpg

When D'Antoni sees this ▼
IMG_0361.jpg

how come a TO isn't called to correct the offense? Take note of the shot clock...that's not an early shot. 12 seconds have elapsed and that's the best shot and positioning the team achieved. Why is Walker standing behind STAT on a shot attempt...why is there not A SINGLE HUMAN BEING in the paint? What's happening right here?

These aren't execution problems, they're a lack of anything to execute problem. This isn't sloppy play, this is "what are we watching right now?" basketball, like Reggie stated last night.

MDA also said he wouldn't go to a zone last night because they didn't put one in....well...the Lakers are dragging you up and down the court in man...why not try a basic matchup zone, just to give it a shot? What's the worst that could happen? The Lakers shoot over 70% in a quarter?

Where are the in-game corrections and adjustments? When you see your team playing like this early in the game, how does it last for a whole half?

I forgot who said it, but coaches aren't supposed to tell players what they're not doing, they're supposed to tell players what they need to do.

Does Mike do that? If he is, one of three things is happening. 1) The players aren't listening; 2) he has no valuable info to impart on them and doesn't craft a plan on the spot to correct issues; or 3) he's fine with what he's seeing.

Now, of course I don't believe he's ok with what he's seeing, but instead of sitting and looking lost in translation:
photo-7.jpg

coach up your team, and make in game corrections before the game gets out of hand.

And I don't want to hear about gelling and chemistry and all of those media derived terms that people love to couple with a good vocabulary and act as if they're saying something.

In 07-08 the Celtics added KG, Ray, Eddie House, Kendrick Perkins, and PJ Brown. That team gelled their way to a 20-2 record in their first 22 games. It doesn't take long with proper coaching and philosophies.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is easily a 5 star thread.

+1

I love the supporting video. Much of what people have been saying about MOAs coaching can be seen right here.

:aplause:

KBlack25

Starter
A lot of the issue in the video I have is Melo running the Point Forward - which is generally a scheme I hate.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
fantastic post.

I am so sick and tired of people saying chill out it`s only three games in. As your thread points out it`s not about lack of chemistry or a short pre season. We are simply playing basketball with no basic fundamentals whatsoever and that is down to the coach.

If we wait twenty games or so to see if it improves then sack no D-Toni then we will have to have another period of "bedding in" with a new coach.

Sack no D-Toni now before it`s too late. I honestly don`t see how waiting will make a difference. Will the coach suddenly, twenty games in, decide that D is important? that boxing out and rebounding is essential? That not just having four guys standing around like statues whilst one player shoots is terrible? Well, the last four seasons of watching the coach would suggest not.

No D-Toni is not going to change. Why do so many people not understand that and keep saying chill out it`s the start of the season. It`s the same old problems time and time again. How many times have we seen average players have career nights against us? I can`t take much more of this shit coach and I am heartily sick of people excusing him. I sometimes wonder if some Knicks fans never watch any Knicks games the way that they just constantly tell others that we "need time".

And please, no more excuses about the lockout, a short pre season and very little training camp. Every NBA team has had the same.

We have two of the most devastating scorers in the league in Amare and Melo and yet we have the worst offence in the NBA.

Knicks#7

Rookie
Great post by Nuckles2k2. I wanted to get on here and rant, but it would take forever. We need a lot of work, and we START with the guy who claims to be a coach. Amare needs a post game and learn how to box out and he shows no desire to play defense, he constantly gives up on defense, and he gets lost when someone sets a screen, maybe this is due to a lack of communication, not sure. Tyson needs discipline, he has been in the league to long to pick up cheap fouls like he does. Injuries are a problem right now, but we have guys on the bench that should be given a role by the coach, and it should be focused on the defensive end. Walker, Jeffries, balkman, Fields Stat, and even Melo should NOT be given free reign to jack up 3 whenever. We need a to work on a lot, but a true coach should be able to adjust to his teams strengths. Lastly, when Asked about Stat shooting 3's, D'antoni says, I don't care as long as he hits them. Coach, how about saying, no we are going to work on his post game and teach him how to box out on the boards. Now I said I wasn't going to rant, but we are better than thisand I had to express the frustration. True Knicks fan

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
^^^ yeah he has Amare playing like Josh Smith now. Josh Smith excuse has always been low BBIQ but amare not dumb he's just not working for it. Same with Melo .... Why is he always driving into multiple defenders when he had one of the best post games for a sf in the league???

FrazierVocab

Benchwarmer
Really good thread... This team needs to have a players only meeting like Miami did last year and come back rejuvenated. Like Knicks#7 said I was going to rant but that would take forever. Well heres to hoping this is the last time we ever see the Knicks play garbageball like this:beer:.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thank-u thank-u thank-u

Knuckles2k2....thank-u for putting this out there

The man cant coach in the NBA, especially in the Eastern Conference

In 07-08 the Celtics added KG, Ray, Eddie House, Kendrick Perkins, and PJ Brown. That team gelled their way to a 20-2 record in their first 22 games. It doesn't take long with proper coaching and philosophies.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Excellent points all the way around. May I only add that it also takes a gm putting together the right pieces that properly compliment each other along with the those same players buying in. I think this knick team is 0-2 on those counts as well.

carlhil2

Benchwarmer
Knick Source: D'antoni Asked To Be Fired....."Word comes from out West that Mike D'Antoni has asked James Dolan to fire him. I'm not sure if MDA is having a meltdown or it's a PITY PARTY! However, an inside source reports that Dolan avoided answering him. WTF? This is so reminiscent of the Zeke vs Marbury west coast trip a few years ago. I guess history always repeats? Stay tuned for updates as I doubt Dolan will agree and pay him. Dolan is currently holding a gun to the head of Time Warner for a 53% increase for MSG"......I call BS!

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Knick Source: D'antoni Asked To Be Fired....."Word comes from out West that Mike D'Antoni has asked James Dolan to fire him. I'm not sure if MDA is having a meltdown or it's a PITY PARTY! However, an inside source reports that Dolan avoided answering him. WTF? This is so reminiscent of the Zeke vs Marbury west coast trip a few years ago. I guess history always repeats? Stay tuned for updates as I doubt Dolan will agree and pay him. Dolan is currently holding a gun to the head of Time Warner for a 53% increase for MSG"......I call BS!

Where did this source come from???

Dolan stupidity of hiring "Donnie Walsh & Dantoni" was just as ****ed-up as
the hiring of Isiah Thomas....each one shouldve been FIRED after their second
season with the Knicks.

What Dolan is trying to pull with "Time-Warner", majorty cable-service of New York
5 boros will turn on him when the Nets move to Brooklyn.
If the "Amare & Melo" show dont improve Dolan demands for the Knicks/Rangers
MSG network will be looked at as garbage-time by Time Warner executives.

tiger0330

Legend
Good thread. D'Antoni is the worst in-game manager in NY sports since Jim Fassel of the NY Giants. Expect the Knicks to fire him sooner rather than later, if the Knicks get off to a 5-15 start I think the Knicks won't wait until the end of the season to dump him. They didn't spend all that money to get the best front line in the NBA and listen to excuses about having too many new guys, not having a training camp to build chemistry, injuries or any other reason. Mike Woodson is waiting in the wings if Mike D stumbles.

Wargames

Starter
Good thread. D'Antoni is the worst in-game manager in NY sports since Jim Fassel of the NY Giants. Expect the Knicks to fire him sooner rather than later, if the Knicks get off to a 5-15 start I think the Knicks won't wait until the end of the season to dump him. They didn't spend all that money to get the best front line in the NBA and listen to excuses about having too many new guys, not having a training camp to build chemistry, injuries or any other reason. Mike Woodson is waiting in the wings if Mike D stumbles.

the problem is mike woodson sort of sucks too. His concept of offense is ISO, ISO, ISO.... maybe Walsh in Indiana can grab Brian Shaw. Even if phil doesn't want to coach lets get somebody from his coaching tree.

The triangle needs great players to run it and I think the knicks have them.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Excellent thread. I couldn't agree more. Right after the game against GS I thought we needed to do a 2x3 zone for the Lakers. Our guards are not quick enough to stop penetration, and by using Tyson Chandler's man as the pick and roll guy, you take our best interior defender out of the lane.

I look forward to the day MDA is no where near a blue and orange jersey.

Last edited:

fender0577

Rotation player
Worst NBA coach iv'e ever seen, by far.When they hired this dummy i just laughed, to keep from crying.Someone tell me how in the hell do you get a NBA head coaching job when you act like defense doesn't exist.Mark jackson was perfect 4 this job, hell he said they (Golden state) haven't ran 1 offensive drill yet, this guy is going to be a great coach, and we are stuck with this idiot, SMDH.