If this is not a coaching issue, what is it?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
f-gif-gif.gif

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Lol, thanks Crazy.

Well...it's BALLLLLLLL NIGHT. So that means this thread gets a premature bump.

Hopefully everything detailed in here is proven to be old news tonight...I guess we shall see.

iSaYughh

Starter
I understand the need for a PG to orchestrate for two ball dominant players, but at some point you have to realize that the complaints against MDA (the well thought out ones) go far beyond the team's yearning for a traditional, floor general, PG.

As any sort of strategist, in any arena of competition, you have to mitigate your deficiencies and lean heavily on your strengths. The Knicks simply don't do that. MDA still tries to run his "system" without the proper components, he runs the team straight into the ground, and when it causes him to get booed at MSG and the scrutiny comes in the media--only then do we see a few more drive-and-kick plays in the next couple of games....only to go right back to "MDA-ball" after the heat wears off a little, and the super reactionary media, and their closest subscribers start the "phew!! that was close, but it looks like we're on track now." Only problem is that, this season, those games came against: the 1-3 Sac-Town Kings who were having inner turmoil, the winless....0-7 Wizards, the 2-6 Detroit Pistons, the 2-7 Bobcats....who we let back into that game by not scoring a single field goal from 1:54 in the 3rd to 1:34 in the 4th. Forgive me for not thinking that a lack of a true PG is a good enough excuse to not score ONE. BASKET. FROM. THE. FIELD. for what's essentially 11 to 12 minutes. That's ridiculous for a professional basketball team with a professional coaching staff....PG or no PG. And of course there's the win that the media got hyped about, over the 7-3 Philly 76ers, who were on the tail end of a back-to-back-to-back.

Kinda funny how when the Knicks play poorly, we have to keep in mind the lockout, schedule, lack of training camp, lack of practice, the price of rice in China, Tim Tebow's "it" factor, Tom Brady's hot wife, THE BAGS AROUND DAVID STERNS EYES, any and everything. But when we beat a 7-3 team that's literally playing it's 3rd game in 3 nights, it was an "impressive" win. This NYK team has had more excuses fabricated for them by commentators and obscure writers on sites like Grantland, than a guilty dude on trial.

If all this team really needs is a PG, then lets hope we get that PG along with a new coach. So that way when this Christ-like PG struggles a bit, he has a coach that can take note of the issues and adjust on the fly.

I see what you're saying.

Personally, I don't find our beating Sixers is something that makes us (or MDA) impressive.

But I won't negate facts, even if they're unfortunate ones, and their impact. Such as the lockout.

I would never have been calling for Spoelstra's head last year if I was a MIA heat fan, either.

The overarching reality, that overarches even what you say is an issue of coaches "adjustment" and that which goes beyond us having a starting PG,

Is that it is prudent for a coach *to* have basic, requisite pieces.

We flipped the switch on this roster countless times, in the past year alone. And we are poised to do so again with Baron Davis coming back.

It would be foolish, and reckless, for MDA to play to the whims of our unfortunate roster reality, especially before Baron Davis comes back.

But more than that, the players we have *demand* the very system and needs...the very things MDA needs, is what our TEAM needs....I guarantee so many will be in of the rudest of awakenings if we were to take away MDA, and bring in some half-court minded, set-play maestro of a defensive coach.

You think Amare looks lost and like shit now? And Fields? And you want to ever see the best that Shumpert has to offer....

nuckles2k2

Superstar
We switched STAT and Chandler onto Nash, and the likes of Iman and Douglas onto Gortat and Lopez all. ****ing. game.

I thought maybe we were being trolled the first time I saw it....but it kept happening over, and over, and over....

3934yu85yu4.gif

nuckles2k2

Superstar
There's a discussion in another thread about how much credit MDA deserves for the Knicks "improved" "defense". I absolutely give him credit for thinking that switching on every single, pick play, is comprehensive basketball.

When Nash is torching STAT in the first Q, and Chandler is standing 7'1'' at the free throw line extended....looking out of sorts while Gortat is blotting out the sun, 300 style, for Shump....I think it's up to the coach to say "oh shit, this is pretty stupid, let's try something else."

Instead:

bilde.jpg

All night, homie.

If I could see it on TV, if it could be seen from MSG, how come D'Amphony didn't see it? Nash was having his way from the first god damn quarter, why we still switching?

What was up with STAT stepping aside and letting Warrick have a date with the rim, then just standing there like it "ain't no thang?"

Why is his shot selection still so piss poor? Yea, ok, fine, he doesn't have a traditional PG back there...but is MDA screaming at him to move the ball the way he screamed at Shump when he didn't flash out on Hill?

Why did Shannon Brown have so many good looks late in the game? Did we forget about him? Is he not a professional mother ****ing basketball player?

**** Mike D'Amphony, and **** anyone who supports this idiot.

Wargames

Starter
You know it's a miracle people aren't scoring more against us...

Eventually most teams just sit their starters due to the tight schedule :barf:

However yeah the coach is an idiot and doesnt call players out for their BS Melo shot 5/22 against the Suns and let Grant Hill score easy points due to lack of effort on transition D. The coach never said a word about it. I mean if Melo is injured it would of been better to sit him down more than have him risk further injury if thats his whole contribution.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
There's some really really really really well spoken, but stupid as ****, people on this forum.

This team just needs a change at this point, the players aren't playing well, and in 15 game they've yet to produce a game where they looked like they belonged....whether they actually won said game or not, there has yet to be a good game of basketball played by the Knicks.

Yet people hang their hats on this need for a PG, and go up and down the annals of coaches, swearing who can't "fix" this problem.

How about a coach who in his post-game press conference ADMITS that one of his stars is playing piss poor, and the other is shooting too much. Just some ACCOUNTABILITY
to get things at least facing the right direction.

This shit is getting dumb now.

tumblr_ltnn5j02dv1r3pu2jo1_r1_500.jpg

nuckles2k2

Superstar
If the man is circumventing the topic of his star players holding the team back with poor shot selection, in press conferences, and we see it happening game after game after game after game....what does that suggest that he's doing behind closed doors?

The **** does that have to do with a PG?

You mean to tell me that we can't post Melo up and run the offense from the inside out, which would effectively cut down on his terrible shots, and create opportunities for more off-ball movement? Do we really have to have Melo bring the ball up and have the opportunity to jack up crazy shots?

Is it seriously "suffer until we find a PG" instead of "adjust and survive until the calvary arrives?"

The **** does a PG have to do with D'Antoni admitting that Melo is shooting too much, or STAT finds the most ridiculous shot angles, and invents opportunities to turn it over? Another coach couldn't fix that? I beg to differ.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I can't wait for the washed up Baron Davis to return. Then when the Knicks keep losing, Antoni will get fired and the Knicks will get a better coach and go back to winning again.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
This farce has gotten beyond insane.

Clearly the strategy, or lack-there-of, is in such discord with the players left to execute it, that after 15 games we've seen barely any improvement.

But there's been no notable adjustment in an attempt to garner any improvement - :shrug:. Am I wrong here? Has there been a notable change made to a failing approach?

And, amazingly, the team unceasingly repeats the theme. There has been literally no apparent attempt to incorporate STAT and Melo as a tandem, nor to enforce their presence in the paint. And the P&R with Amar'e is just not there? Has he been actively told not to run it? All our players are constantly left to create on a whim. It's lunacy! That's the only way to put it. It's as if we are trying to make it more difficult for ourselves by reacting to the moment.

Again, though it would help, this goes WAY beyond adding a PG.

What's the result of our MO? We're in the 8th seed at 6 and 9. Philadelphia are in 2nd at 11-4. Am I the only one seeing a discrepancy in talent here?

Are we really going to continue to let 'all we need is a PG' be the focal reason as to why we're so utterly shit? Are our guards, excluding Douglas, so inept that they are unable to pass the ball in to the low post where we are [literally and figuratively] heaviest?

We've had the easiest schedule in the league thus far.

Night after night we've been playing a team with a key contributor out due to injury.

We have a favorable mismatch in the front-court every night, but play no inside game.

The coaching is poor, the demeanor is worse ~ particularly Carmelo Anthony, who I'm quickly beginning to build a dislike toward, Amar'e is the league's worst captain, and the league's most clueless interior defender.

The coaching is definitely a problem, how can you say it's not?

But these 3:

Carmelo-Anthony-Amare-Stoudemire-Stat-Melo-Knicks-ICEDOTCOM1_crop_650x440.png

image.jpg

Are failures at their positions.

It has gotten beyond just D'Antoni and his +/- system not accounting for the intricacies and the human equation of the game.

STAT and Melo are stars, but they are both very, very ****ing far from being superstars. Superstars are winners, these 2 are losers.

It's a very hard time to be a Knick fan right now.

Crazy⑧s;197402 said:

Clearly the strategy, or lack-there-of, is in such discord with the players left to execute it, that after 15 games we've seen barely any improvement.

But there's been no notable adjustment in an attempt to garner any improvement - :shrug:. Am I wrong here? Has there been a notable change made to a failing approach?

And, amazingly, the team unceasingly repeats the theme. There has been literally no apparent attempt to incorporate STAT and Melo as a tandem, nor to enforce their presence in the paint. And the P&R with Amar'e is just not there? Has he been actively told not to run it? All our players are constantly left to create on a whim. It's lunacy! That's the only way to put it. It's as if we are trying to make it more difficult for ourselves by reacting to the moment.

What's the result of our MO? We're in the 8th seed at 6 and 9. Philadelphia are in 2nd at 11-4. Am I the only one seeing a discrepancy in talent here?

Are we really going to continue to let 'all we need is a PG' be the focal reason as to why we're so utterly shit? Are our guards, excluding Douglas, so inept that they are unable to pass the ball in to the low post where we are [literally and figuratively] heaviest?

Night after night we've been playing a team with a key contributor out due to injury.

We have a favorable mismatch in the front-court every night, but play no inside game.

The coaching is poor, the demeanor is worse ~ particularly Carmelo Anthony, who I'm quickly beginning to build a dislike toward, Amar'e is the league's worst captain, and the league's most clueless interior defender.

But these 3:

image.jpg

It has gotten beyond just D'Antoni and his +/- system not accounting for the intricacies and the human equation of the game.

STAT and Melo are stars, but they are both very, very ****ing far from being superstars. Superstars are winners, these 2 are losers.

:agreed: But I think Melo & STAT are being used incorrectly. I wonder what would happen if we let Melo feed STAT in the post? Think the other team might piss their pants?

You think someone somewhere on the court would be WIDE OPEN?

Think Melo's man doubles STAT?

Or is STAT allowed to go 1 on 1?

No matter how you slice it, it seems we'd have an advantage SOMEDAMWHERE...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I can't even rep Crazy or Clyde, but both spoke the truth.

Something's gotta give tho. STAT and Melo are playing like losers, which superstars don't do....but they're also being used incorrectly. It should be a constant barrage of inside-out basketball. Melo feeding STAT, STAT feeding Melo, work being done. It's not that they can't coexist on the same team, they can't coexist in this offense....then change the mother ****ing offense...am I correct? Isn't that what coaches do?

I need to see someone else, other than Melo, pissed off. MDA can't make excuses for his stars, STAT can't talk about needing to come together and get better, Chandler can't talk about the lack of communication anymore, no more gelling, and "figuring things out."

Someone else has to feel as if they were punked, and come out swinging tonight. Preferably not someone with 35 of the team's 86 points.

15 games, none of which you could look at and say "if they played like that against [name of contending team], they'd whoop up on 'em."

I saw someone post "well the Thunder lost to the Wizards..." as if to say that anyone could beat anyone...which is technically true, but the Thunder also systematically takes teams apart, and when you bring some weak bullshit to their house, they hang 70 around your neck in a half.

Enough is enough.

How long we gotta wait for inspired basketball? Hell, the Wizards are playing with more fire than the Knicks. If we had that same amount of drive, we would stumble our way to an 11-4 record.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;197402 said:

But these 3:

image.jpg

8's please don't let your emotions allow you to be fooled.

Paul1355 says it the best.

this is a coaching issue

So don't think for a sec that these players don't know how to ball, something they did their entire lives, or at least have dedicated many hours to. Just considering that players went from beasts to "failures at their position" (without injury or major event) is mathematically impossible. Not even a consideration.

:agreed: But I think Melo & STAT are being used incorrectly. I wonder what would happen if we let Melo feed STAT in the post? Think the other team might piss their pants?

You think someone somewhere on the court would be WIDE OPEN?

Think Melo's man doubles STAT?

Or is STAT allowed to go 1 on 1?

No matter how you slice it, it seems we'd have an advantage SOMEDAMWHERE...

I love this post. Yes it's a "different strategy" you offer, and yes we know 'antoni uses a different strategy... but the difference is with the players you got, and an infinitely better chance at winning, your strategy is better. That simple.

But notice this. A common excuse is we need a certain player, player type (pg), that assumes there are different types of players, some more suitable for this system and approach. Which means there are different systems and players to fit... when you ask "Yo I'm paying player X to get buckets, wtf?"

and you see that PAID star isn't earning his $, but obviously before you gave him dough he was doing something to entice you (meaning STAT & Melo, and really everyone else) played well enough to be in demand, they already were allstars, stars, solid role players or prospects etc... you bought the players just as you bought the system. If it don't match, don't look at the proven players, look at the unproven system.

I can't even rep Crazy or Clyde, but both spoke the truth.

Something's gotta give tho. STAT and Melo are playing like losers, which superstars don't do....but they're also being used incorrectly. It should be a constant barrage of inside-out basketball. Melo feeding STAT, STAT feeding Melo, work being done. It's not that they can't coexist on the same team, they can't coexist in this offense....then change the mother ****ing offense...am I correct? Isn't that what coaches do?

I need to see someone else, other than Melo, pissed off. MDA can't make excuses for his stars, STAT can't talk about needing to come together and get better, Chandler can't talk about the lack of communication anymore, no more gelling, and "figuring things out."

Someone else has to feel as if they were punked, and come out swinging tonight. Preferably not someone with 35 of the team's 86 points.

15 games, none of which you could look at and say "if they played like that against [name of contending team], they'd whoop up on 'em."

I saw someone post "well the Thunder lost to the Wizards..." as if to say that anyone could beat anyone...which is technically true, but the Thunder also systematically takes teams apart, and when you bring some weak bullshit to their house, they hang 70 around your neck in a half.

Enough is enough.

How long we gotta wait for inspired basketball? Hell, the Wizards are playing with more fire than the Knicks. If we had that same amount of drive, we would stumble our way to an 11-4 record.

Look the better we look, come out swinging and shit, the longer it's going to take to make the difference we need. The best you can ask for is something to happen to convince James Dolan to make a change.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
8's please don't let your emotions allow you to be fooled.

Fooled?

Emotions?

Red, I know you are the resident advocate for firing D'Antoni, and I have had enough myself.

But when I watch these 2 multimillionaires pout, stupefy themselves, show disinterest, chuck, travel, rake up the offensive fouls, miss assignments and so forth, I am not going to hold full accountability for Mike. I'm just not.

I am not fooling myself, and I think, at this stage anyway, that anyone blaming the entirety of this farce on MD is fooling themselves in their own convenient way.

I want D'Antoni gone, and have done since last season.

I see what I see. I know what I know. And I know I'm not fooling myself.

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;197517 said:
Fooled?

Emotions?

Red, I know you are the resident advocate for firing D'Antoni, and I have had enough myself.

But when I watch these 2 multimillionaires pout, stupefy themselves, show disinterest, chuck, travel, rake up the offensive fouls, miss assignments and so forth, I am not going to hold full accountability for Mike. I'm just not.

I am not fooling myself, and I think, at this stage anyway, that anyone blaming the entirety of this farce on MD is fooling themselves in their own convenient way.

I want D'Antoni gone, and have done since last season.

I see what I see. I know what I know. And I know I'm not fooling myself.

OK so...

we'll believe that we acquired players that all of a sudden can't and won't play properly. :cool:

fender0577

Rotation player
OK so...

we'll believe that we acquired players that all of a sudden can't and won't play properly. :cool:
I said the same thing, WTF is wrong with them?All of a sudden they forgot how to play the game, no, i think this coach has lost this team.It happens more than u think.