If this is not a coaching issue, what is it?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
And some people are talking about "chill out." Man...if I could reach thru my computer screen and slap the shit outta a dude...I would.

This man needs to go. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

KingofNy

Starter
Can this really be blamed on the lockout? Notice the simplistic plays run by the Lakers, then take note of what our Knickerbockers do immediately after the Lake-show do their thing.

On this next one, Tyson picks and rolls without any conviction and steps into some waiting D, only the ball moves and finds Fields, who drives into the waiting D, it's kicked back out to Melo, who hits a shot over a man closing out...because no one went anywhere. After Tyson finished strolling into the paint, the only movement is Fields driving into a dude's chest, and then looking at Melo. Tyson has rebound position for a closer attempt, the Lakers have FOUR bodies in position for a long rebound.

How is any of this due to a lack of training camp?

IMG_0359.jpg

These aren't even open shots...contested and no chance for an offensive board. I mean yeah...some teams sacrifice offensive 'bounds for transition D, or setting up your half court D early. But those offenses usually try to foray into the paint and get high percentage looks since there won't be any attempts at second chance points.

What the **** is this?

IMG_0360.jpg

When D'Antoni sees this ▼
IMG_0361.jpg

how come a TO isn't called to correct the offense? Take note of the shot clock...that's not an early shot. 12 seconds have elapsed and that's the best shot and positioning the team achieved. Why is Walker standing behind STAT on a shot attempt...why is there not A SINGLE HUMAN BEING in the paint? What's happening right here?

These aren't execution problems, they're a lack of anything to execute problem. This isn't sloppy play, this is "what are we watching right now?" basketball, like Reggie stated last night.

MDA also said he wouldn't go to a zone last night because they didn't put one in....well...the Lakers are dragging you up and down the court in man...why not try a basic matchup zone, just to give it a shot? What's the worst that could happen? The Lakers shoot over 70% in a quarter?

Where are the in-game corrections and adjustments? When you see your team playing like this early in the game, how does it last for a whole half?

I forgot who said it, but coaches aren't supposed to tell players what they're not doing, they're supposed to tell players what they need to do.

Does Mike do that? If he is, one of three things is happening. 1) The players aren't listening; 2) he has no valuable info to impart on them and doesn't craft a plan on the spot to correct issues; or 3) he's fine with what he's seeing.

Now, of course I don't believe he's ok with what he's seeing, but instead of sitting and looking lost in translation:
photo-7.jpg

coach up your team, and make in game corrections before the game gets out of hand.

And I don't want to hear about gelling and chemistry and all of those media derived terms that people love to couple with a good vocabulary and act as if they're saying something.

In 07-08 the Celtics added KG, Ray, Eddie House, Kendrick Perkins, and PJ Brown. That team gelled their way to a 20-2 record in their first 22 games. It doesn't take long with proper coaching and philosophies.

Great Post! Spot on! Rep +1!

CoolClyde

D'amntoni!

:agreed: great thread

He puts the "L" in SSOL
loser_toni.jpg

His love of Duhound was astounding
pringle_hound.gif

He looks like a rabbit
rabbitoni.jpg

You know he sucks
pringle_wesuck.jpg

:barf::gony:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
LOL Clyde.

I agree this has gotten beyond not liking the man's style of basketball.

This is basic basketball fundamentals. The fact that we have professional basketball players who are not executing things that high school players know you have to do is absolutely sad.

metrocard

Legend
let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go

KingofNy

Starter
All the stuff you pointed out in this thread is taking place again and again. We keep isolating Melo at the top of the key and are leaving ZERO bodies in the paint. It's no wonder we can't score or get offensive rebounds. D'antoni sucks soooo bad.

moneyg

Starter
Antoni sucks. I said it from day 1.

im sooo upset it took others so long to actually get this. I'm curiours to know if there are any O'antoni supporters still out there. and why?

Nash: Hey Mike, you do understand that you're nothin' without me??

O'antoni: 7 seconds or less is a myth!!!!

nba_a_nash_576

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
I'm not sure which of the "I am so dissapointed with the Knicks" threads to post this on so I just chose this one.

When the Knicks sucked, that was fine and we didn't boo. But when you get our hopes up and then suck. Now that is a different story.

Watching the game last night was PATHETIC. Both offense and defense.

The wide open shots! No boxing out for rebounds! These guys are just lazy. They think they are in NYC and all that already. You have to prove yourself in NY. They have not done that yet.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I'm not sure which of the "I am so dissapointed with the Knicks" threads to post this on so I just chose this one.

When the Knicks sucked, that was fine and we didn't boo. But when you get our hopes up and then suck. Now that is a different story.

Watching the game last night was PATHETIC. Both offense and defense.

The wide open shots! No boxing out for rebounds! These guys are just lazy. They think they are in NYC and all that already. You have to prove yourself in NY. They have not done that yet.

Laziness is derived from a lack of motivation and accountability. Sure, there can still be laziness in an environment that has both, but that's not the issue here.

quiggle

Starter
I have to confess that last nights game I was cheering for a couple of the Bobcats especially the lanky white guy and Diaw, they brought they games, unlike the Knicks so deservedly they should succeed

nuckles2k2

Superstar
This thread deserves to be bumped again.

It should probably be retitled "The Chronicles of Mediocrity" since this team is going nowhere at light speeds...cause this schedule isn't getting any less hectic, but the Knicks are regressing.

And I don't wanna hear about Melo being out tonight, because good teams find a way to stay competitive, if not win, even with a man down.

The fact that, not only does our offense cease to exist, but the team's competitive fire seems to get doused with Melo's absence.

The Lakers survived without Bynum, the Nugs without Nene, the Heat without LBJ and Wade, the Bulls without Rose, and the Hawks have been decent without Horford.

Melo goes down for the Knicks, and the Grizz take out our knees and the Thunder rolls up on us and curb stomps us.

Bullshit of the highest order.

KingofNy

Starter

It should probably be retitled "The Chronicles of Mediocrity" since this team is going nowhere at light speeds...cause this schedule isn't getting any less hectic, but the Knicks are regressing.

And I don't wanna hear about Melo being out tonight, because good teams find a way to stay competitive, if not win, even with a man down.

The fact that, not only does our offense cease to exist, but the team's competitive fire seems to get doused with Melo's absence.

The Lakers survived without Bynum, the Nugs without Nene, the Heat without LBJ and Wade, the Bulls without Rose, and the Hawks have been decent without Horford.

Melo goes down for the Knicks, and the Grizz take out our knees and the Thunder rolls up on us and curb stomps us.

Here's my :2cents:...

Melo and Stat can only do so much to cover up for bad coaching.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What the hell is up with this coach? Seriously? Am I really supposed to believe that this man was responsible for the 60-win Suns who were cheated out of an NBA Finals appearance?

This team tonight looked no better than our team pre-trade and hell it looked no better than our team pre-STAT, I'll be honest....

iSaYughh

Starter
What the hell is up with this coach? Seriously? Am I really supposed to believe that this man was responsible for the 60-win Suns who were cheated out of an NBA Finals appearance?

This team tonight looked no better than our team pre-trade and hell it looked no better than our team pre-STAT, I'll be honest....

Not to beat any dead horses one way or another, but let's not pretend this is some simple and cut coaching job, especially following that lockout. I might be wrong, but can we find teams with a backcourt and PG situation any more pitiful than ours, and looking any better? Sheer talent can't mask black holes. Just look at MIA for much of last year, and that was with a more complete roster and superior stars.

I will say, we had some underrated players at the time, pre-Melo. Gallo, particularly.

We had a legit fringe all-star'ish PG, too. We now basically have a black hole there.

This really isn't any better or worse than us having Felton, while we had the NBA's biggest black hole at center, pre-Chandler.

Arguably, given the importance of a PG when you have multiple scoring powerhouses (Melo, STAT), and they have't been playing together for years...and given the players with whom MDA works very well with (up tempo Point Guards), we took a clear step backwards in the black hole we created, vs the black hole we removed.

Why we suddenly had such high hopes following the addition of Chandler, which essentially inverted our problems, can be chalked up to the general impatience and expectation of us getting better and better, year after year, like some unstoppable train, following the cleaning up of Isiah Thomas' mess.

Reasons such as the fascination many NYK fans have had with "bigs" and "size" (understandably so, to a degree, given we had the NBA's laughing stock of centers for so long), also contribute.

Of course, we added Carmelo Anthony betwixt this swapping of problems (point guard for center).

We also lost an extremely good, versatile 6th man (Chandler) and a hyper-efficent scorer and quality defender -- Gallinari -- whom Melo essentially replaced in the lineup. FWIW, there's a reasonable chance Gallo will finish the year with a higher PER than Stoudemire. Unquantifiable defensive impact aside. Just sayin'.

So, with all that, and taking into account the additional issues the problem we took on (point guard) created, while solving the prior problem (center)....and that in a season following the lockout, teams who have been consistent and together for a while have an inherent advantage...

There's a reason Walsh was so furious with Dolan's meddling in the Melo trade; and so dismayed that Dolan would not agree to not meddle in the future, that Walsh resigned, prematurely aborting his NYK tenure, and dream to finish the job he started. :2cents:

Picture us with both Gallinari and Felton right now (minus Fields and some miscellaneous). I guarantee you Walsh was, and is.

Still, it's early, and we will get better. Worst case, we use a MLE and/or a trade in the off season and get a quality starting NBA point guard. Best, we get a healthy Baron mid way through the season.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I understand the need for a PG to orchestrate for two ball dominant players, but at some point you have to realize that the complaints against MDA (the well thought out ones) go far beyond the team's yearning for a traditional, floor general, PG.

As any sort of strategist, in any arena of competition, you have to mitigate your deficiencies and lean heavily on your strengths. The Knicks simply don't do that. MDA still tries to run his "system" without the proper components, he runs the team straight into the ground, and when it causes him to get booed at MSG and the scrutiny comes in the media--only then do we see a few more drive-and-kick plays in the next couple of games....only to go right back to "MDA-ball" after the heat wears off a little, and the super reactionary media, and their closest subscribers start the "phew!! that was close, but it looks like we're on track now." Only problem is that, this season, those games came against: the 1-3 Sac-Town Kings who were having inner turmoil, the winless....0-7 Wizards, the 2-6 Detroit Pistons, the 2-7 Bobcats....who we let back into that game by not scoring a single field goal from 1:54 in the 3rd to 1:34 in the 4th. Forgive me for not thinking that a lack of a true PG is a good enough excuse to not score ONE. BASKET. FROM. THE. FIELD. for what's essentially 11 to 12 minutes. That's ridiculous for a professional basketball team with a professional coaching staff....PG or no PG. And of course there's the win that the media got hyped about, over the 7-3 Philly 76ers, who were on the tail end of a back-to-back-to-back.

Kinda funny how when the Knicks play poorly, we have to keep in mind the lockout, schedule, lack of training camp, lack of practice, the price of rice in China, Tim Tebow's "it" factor, Tom Brady's hot wife, THE BAGS AROUND DAVID STERNS EYES, any and everything. But when we beat a 7-3 team that's literally playing it's 3rd game in 3 nights, it was an "impressive" win. This NYK team has had more excuses fabricated for them by commentators and obscure writers on sites like Grantland, than a guilty dude on trial.

If all this team really needs is a PG, then lets hope we get that PG along with a new coach. So that way when this Christ-like PG struggles a bit, he has a coach that can take note of the issues and adjust on the fly.

Kiyaman

Legend
Antoni sucks. I said it from day 1.

me too, me too, me too. ha ha ha ha

Celebrity Coach Damnphony....getting Swept in the first-round with a lineup of
"C-Shaq, PF-Stat, SF-Grant Hill, SG-Bell, PG-Nash, and 6th man Diaw". WTF!
5 game series is a SWEEP to me with a devasting lineup above....
And Dum-Dolan/Dum-Walsh goes and hire this Bum-coach a month after the
embarrassing sweep....crack smoking should be prohibited...

Kiyaman

Legend
When was Isiah & Dantoni suppose to be FIRED?

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

I had a crew of NBA Fans at my house watching the NFL postseason/and NBA
Knicks -vs- OKC....the Knicks coaching flaws were exposed at every position
on offense & defense by OKC 10-man rotation before halftime....OKC-70 to Knicks-47
The 23 point half-time lead over the Knicks were an understatement of
clueless & effortless Knicks coaching of players not knowing what to do vs a contender.