Sean Deveney: The Knicks need Houston to thrive

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
Here is a piece on the Knicks by Deveney, a writer for Sporting News.

Yahoo: There's optimism in New York, despite the Knicks' failed attempt to land a big man. After all, New York finished 25-22 following the trade for PG Stephon Marbury -- even though it lost SG Allan Houston for much of the second half of the season. But there are concerns, too. Houston, who had right knee surgery last offseason, is working his way back from a left knee injury that was exacerbated by a bad back and a quadriceps injury. When healthy, Houston is one of the most reliable shooters in the league. His contributions to the Knicks often are overshadowed by his too-rich contract (he will be paid $17 million this season). But Houston might not be 100 percent when the team opens camp -- and at 33, he might be on the decline. If Houston is limited, G Jamal Crawford will have to pick up the long-distance shooting slack. Coming off a season in which Crawford made only 31.7 percent of his 3-pointers, that's not an ideal situation for the Knicks. . . .

With contracts such as Houston's, the Knicks are well ahead in the race for biggest payroll, especially with the Trail Blazers trimming salaries in the past year. New York will have more than $100 million in payroll, which is not as bad as it sounds. The Knicks are owned by the same group that owns Madison Square Garden and have a lucrative television deal. Plus, a source says, the Knicks aren't afraid of being $60 million over the salary cap because, "There's a feeling that there won't be a luxury tax next season."

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I wonder what he meant by that last sentence. Just letting Penny and Tim walk will sure clear up some salary space but will it really help the team?

I'll leave it to Isiah to come up with the answer to that one. All I know is atleast one of them has to get traded in the end of their contract for us to get a true big man that we need so bad.

starpula

Benchwarmer
Even if Penny and Tim walk, we`re STILL far over the cap. Letting them walk for nothing doesnt improve our situation at all. Unless Thomas really steps his game up, Isiah will use him as a chip next off season.